Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 994 Old 10-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whforde View Post

Here is a simplified test for that. kinda fun.

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

I can hear fine to 17khz

I can hear the 21khz and I'm 25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 994 Old 10-15-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micbob View Post

Every Plasma does come with some kind of a buzz due to the technology but it shouldnt be to the point you notice it and I know from other threads the VT25 has had the issue as well just not as wide spread. I will let you know if this TV has the same problem.

Good luck. I'm especially curious if there is any buzzing difference between when you use your TV speakers vs your surround sound on the VT25.

I'm getting ready to use the optical output my C8000 and route that to my surround sound system. (I'm curious if that is how yours was setup when the buzzing was much worse?)

Been watching Amazon VOD and you have to crank it up to 75 to hear ok using the internal speakers. (The 50" speakers are worse than the 58 and 63 models. 10 watt vs 15.)
post #453 of 994 Old 10-16-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

Good luck. I'm especially curious if there is any buzzing difference between when you use your TV speakers vs your surround sound on the VT25.

I'm getting ready to use the optical output my C8000 and route that to my surround sound system. (I'm curious if that is how yours was setup when the buzzing was much worse?)

Been watching Amazon VOD and you have to crank it up to 75 to hear ok using the internal speakers. (The 50" speakers are worse than the 58 and 63 models. 10 watt vs 15.)

I used monster HDMI cables. Went HDMI from FIOS box to Denon Receiver then HDMI from Receiver to Sammy Plasma.
post #454 of 994 Old 10-16-2010, 01:10 AM

Just registered to tell my story here. I bought 63C7705 (=C8000) and could not live with the directional buzz it had. I had to Samsung support guys come and listen to the buzz. The older, somewhere around 50 years old, could not hear anything while the younger, 30 years, could hear the buzz very clearly and thought that the television was broken. So they take it away and I wait for a replacement.

However, it just so happens that 63" are nowhere to be found and I have to change to 50". I got it couple of days ago. At first the buzz did not bother much and actually I could not hear anything during the first day of use. Now it seems to get louder and it really starts to bother me. I can hear it all the time. Now I have two options, either to call to samsung support or wait until I get old enough not to hear the buzz :P I have the television connected to surround system, but I do not think it affects the buzz any way.

P.S. 50" has more IR than 63".
post #455 of 994 Old 10-16-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pablo View Post

So are you saying this actually made matters worse? I assume this isn't any type of Samsung approved fix but something the tech came up with?

I honestly have no idea. He came prepared with the stuff, so I can only imagine he had been doing this on other TVs with similar issues. He said it worked on some, no guarantee that it would solve the problem.

Regardless, the TV goes back today. The dead center buzz is just too annoying. I have no idea what to get now. Back to the drawing board....
post #456 of 994 Old 10-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppuJ View Post

Just registered to tell my story here. I bought 63C7705 (=C8000) and could not live with the directional buzz it had. I had to Samsung support guys come and listen to the buzz. The older, somewhere around 50 years old, could not hear anything while the younger, 30 years, could hear the buzz very clearly and thought that the television was broken. So they take it away and I wait for a replacement.

However, it just so happens that 63" are nowhere to be found and I have to change to 50". I got it couple of days ago. At first the buzz did not bother much and actually I could not hear anything during the first day of use. Now it seems to get louder and it really starts to bother me. I can hear it all the time. Now I have two options, either to call to samsung support or wait until I get old enough not to hear the buzz :P I have the television connected to surround system, but I do not think it affects the buzz any way.

P.S. 50" has more IR than 63".

Did you get any money back? Can you just get a refund? I would think it would be very difficult to go from 63" to 50".
post #457 of 994 Old 10-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Damn Buzz is getting louder after a month of use

Thank God the TV is mounted high above our fireplace(can't hear it when sitting on couch)

If the TV sat low in and front of me I think I would go crazy, since the sound is directional if I stand directly in front of it I can hear it from across the room into the kitchen(13-15 feet away)

Still very happy with the TV otherwise, near perfect PQ.
post #458 of 994 Old 10-16-2010, 03:18 PM

I am on my fourth Samsung Plasma

I had a 42B450 which had no loud buzz

then had a 50C550 which also had no loud buzz

then upgraded to a PN58C6500 - had no loud buzzing that bothered me, but defective (green vertical line on left side) ....Manufactured August 2010

got that replaced with a March 2010 manufactured PN58C6500

and now definitely notice that the buzzing/humming is louder. It's not unbearable with sound on at normal volume, but I am pretty certain it is is quite a bit louder than the previous owned model manufactured in August 2010.

Will wait on it for a couple months and decide before 3 month Costco return policy expires.....I wish my previous PN58C6500 wasn't defective with picture because it was definitely quieter.
post #459 of 994 Old 10-16-2010, 03:26 PM

Liked: 12
Man I feel lucky. I own a PN63C8000, my first Plasma, and it's absolutely dead silent. Bummer that this issue pops up, though this thread may cause unecessary hysteria. I seriously doubt any more than a tiny minority experience this issue.......AVS members represent what..... .00001 percent of Samsung Plasma owners. Not to minimize those that actually experience the problem. That sucks!
post #460 of 994 Old 10-16-2010, 05:59 PM

New owner of a pn50c450 and I find the buzz to be very minimal. I can honestly only hear it when the TV is muted and it's still not that bad. With average volume, I can't hear any buzz whatsoever.
post #461 of 994 Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el pablo View Post

I have friend with a 60" Samsung Plasma and you can't hear any buzz at all where as the buzz on mine is like night and day. I don't see who anyone couldn't hear it very loudly unless they couldn't really hear at all. I am definitely not nit picking here! I will give everyone an update on my 3rd new panel I should receive within a couple of weeks. If this doesn't fix then I will try the repair route.

Untrue. My 63" Sammy buzzes and its very noticeable, I'd have called you deaf if you said you couldn't hear it -- but my wife who's hearing is quite good (she is only 31) cannot hear it at all. I was shocked and asked her a number of times "are you sure you can't hear a thing, here, turn your head to the side and listen??".

People who say "mine doesn't buzz and I have perfect hearing" simpley *think* that they have perfect hearing.

People who had here that once buzzed but their new Sammy doesn't -- perhaps the frequency etc of the other brand was audible to you.

I know of a guy who claimed his was silent, at his place it was the same horrible buzz as mine -- he basically cannot hear it.

Samsung know about the issue and it is, by their measure "normal". They all buzz.
post #462 of 994 Old 10-18-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRav3r View Post

Untrue. My 63" Sammy buzzes and its very noticeable, I'd have called you deaf if you said you couldn't hear it -- but my wife who's hearing is quite good (she is only 31) cannot hear it at all. I was shocked and asked her a number of times "are you sure you can't hear a thing, here, turn your head to the side and listen??".

People who say "mine doesn't buzz and I have perfect hearing" simpley *think* that they have perfect hearing.

People who had here that once buzzed but their new Sammy doesn't -- perhaps the frequency etc of the other brand was audible to you.

I know of a guy who claimed his was silent, at his place it was the same horrible buzz as mine -- he basically cannot hear it.

Samsung know about the issue and it is, by their measure "normal". They all buzz.

That's a good point that just because you are older than someone it doesn't mean that your hearing can't be better (or at least with certain frequencies) I should have clarified that when I said that my friends panel didn't buzz at all I meant you couldn't hear it when watching TV at regular volume. I know that all PDP panels emit buzz but some can be definitely be much worse than others. As with mine there was a point it was so loud you would literally have to have some serious hearing loss not to here unlike the buzz that some can hear and others can't.
post #463 of 994 Old 10-18-2010, 11:48 AM

Well I took back my second Samsung PN58c7000 and decided to give the Panasonic VT25 a shot. Got it home Saturday, hooked it up, turned it on, and cringed waiting for the BUZZING to start! WAIT whats this....Silence! Watch all day Saturday and Sunday still no BUZZ!! Great picture! No Buzz! Now I see why there is a price difference! I will say that compared to the first Samsung I took back the picture quality isnt as sharp but I think its just a matter of calibrating it. Watch blue-ray last night and the picture was awesome. I have always been a Samsung fan but feel they have drop the ball on this one and are willing to except returns banking on most people wont go through the aggravation of returning product.
post #464 of 994 Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Well I took back my second Samsung PN58c7000 and decided to give the Panasonic VT25 a shot. Got it home Saturday, hooked it up, turned it on, and cringed waiting for the BUZZING to start! WAIT whats this....Silence! Watch all day Saturday and Sunday still no BUZZ!! Great picture! No Buzz! Now I see why there is a price difference! I will say that compared to the first Samsung I took back the picture quality isnt as sharp but I think its just a matter of calibrating it. Watch blue-ray last night and the picture was awesome. I have always been a Samsung fan but feel they have drop the ball on this one and are willing to except returns banking on most people wont go through the aggravation of returning product.

Great to hear! Literally. Did you get the 58" Panasonic? In the store the VT25 didn't look as good to me either sitting right beside the C8000. (I thought it might have had something to do with the anti-reflective screen though, but hopefully it is tunable.)

I would have gotten the Panasonic VT25 if my 50" replacement for the 58" Samsung had been another loud buzzer. The 50" still buzzes but it doesn't seem to be as intense, so it's a keeper for me... (I had a Sony before so I didn't have any initial preference between the Samsung or Panasonic.)
post #465 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 AM

I bought a PN58C8000 plasma that was shipped to my house about a week ago. Because I had issues with the first TWO shipping to my house cracked, I was pretty pumped to get this one out of the box and turn it on and inspect for cracks. Thankfully, there were no cracks, I accepted shipment and went on with my day (went back to work). I came back from work and sat down directly in front of the TV, completely eyelevel -- stand is ~20inches off the ground. The picture quality is UNBELIEVABLE....I've never seen anything like it.....everything is so realistic.

Unfortunately......the buzzing coming straight out of the TV is unbearable. It's basically like sitting infront of a powerline during summer or being constantly tazered. It's an electrical buzzing sound the likes of which I have never EVER heard before coming from a television before. And FWIW, I'm 26 and I have great hearing. Fortunately I can sit on either end of the couch and it's not AS noticeable, but I can still hear it.

I called up the retailer - they have 3 day return policy as well as a 10% restocking fee + $100 shipping charge BOTH WAYS if you want to flat out return it --- they suggested just dealing with Samsung support, as all plasmas have a little buzz. So, Samsung is coming out tomorrow (Thursday) to take a look at it. I'll let you know what they do.

Sucks....I feel like I just blew $2k on a lemon TV
post #466 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_blur View Post

I bought a PN58C8000 plasma that was shipped to my house about a week ago. Because I had issues with the first TWO shipping to my house cracked, I was pretty pumped to get this one out of the box and turn it on and inspect for cracks. Thankfully, there were no cracks, I accepted shipment and went on with my day (went back to work). I came back from work and sat down directly in front of the TV, completely eyelevel -- stand is ~20inches off the ground. The picture quality is UNBELIEVABLE....I've never seen anything like it.....everything is so realistic.

Unfortunately......the buzzing coming straight out of the TV is unbearable. It's basically like sitting infront of a powerline during summer or being constantly tazered. It's an electrical buzzing sound the likes of which I have never EVER heard before coming from a television before. And FWIW, I'm 26 and I have great hearing. Fortunately I can sit on either end of the couch and it's not AS noticeable, but I can still hear it.

I called up the retailer - they have 3 day return policy as well as a 10% restocking fee + $100 shipping charge BOTH WAYS if you want to flat out return it --- they suggested just dealing with Samsung support, as all plasmas have a little buzz. So, Samsung is coming out tomorrow (Thursday) to take a look at it. I'll let you know what they do.

Sucks....I feel like I just blew $2k on a lemon TV

That's quite a let down. Two damaged, one now buzzing, and you'll be out hundreds of dollars just to get it out of your house or you're out $2k on a tv you won't feel like watching. Here's hoping Samsung can give you some good news.
post #467 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 PM

At this point, I'm setting the bar low and hoping that the buzzing can just be dampened. Otherwise, how far is it possible to take this whole issue? I'm assuming I'd just be fighting Samsung and it's not even worth it.

Also, I didn't mention that a mysterious 3rd TV never shipped because it was inspected before shipping and found to also be cracked. Ordered this tv back on August 28th and I didn't have a *working* one until first week of October. Unreal.
post #468 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_blur View Post

At this point, I'm setting the bar low and hoping that the buzzing can just be dampened. Otherwise, how far is it possible to take this whole issue? I'm assuming I'd just be fighting Samsung and it's not even worth it.

Also, I didn't mention that a mysterious 3rd TV never shipped because it was inspected before shipping and found to also be cracked. Ordered this tv back on August 28th and I didn't have a *working* one until first week of October. Unreal.

That does suck! I, as well as many in this forum have had this MAJOR issue. From what has been told to me by HHgregg managment numerous customers are returning the TV's because of the buzz. I agree the picture is amazing but being driven mad by buzzing wasnt worth it. I tried twice and finally got the VT25 and NO BUZZ. The manager at HHgregg states that the reps from Samsung admit there is an issue with the plasma but have no fix for it and do not have any in the works. When I picked up my VT25 he said there where 4 Samsungs in back that had been returned that week for the buzzing. I also know that Samsung hasn't allowed my first or revised watered down review of their pn58c7000. I also tried to post on HHgregg and was rejected. I have contacted BBB about this because unless you really dig you will not find out about issue until its ringing in your ear!
post #469 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Who did you order it from? Sounds like a very unaccommodating vendor.

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
post #470 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 PM

I've had my PN50C8000 for about a week now. I have not noticed a buzz.
post #471 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The manager at HHgregg states that the reps from Samsung admit there is an issue with the plasma but have no fix for it and do not have any in the works. When I picked up my VT25 he said there where 4 Samsungs in back that had been returned that week for the buzzing.

IMO, something has fundamentally changed in Samsung's plasmas starting in 2009. My 2008 Samsung plasma is virtually silent even on a white screen. I mean almost lcd silent. You have to be behind the tv, with it on mute, and inches from the back to hear anything that tells you the tv is even on.

My 2009 Samsung was different. Above average plasma buzz that could be heard 10 feet away from anywhere in the room. Saving grace was that I got it really cheap and now that it's in the bedroom, the room acoustics seem to dampen the buzz alot. My theater room accentuated the buzz.

My 2010 has a slight buzz that is very directional, about 6-12 inches wide, and shoots out of the top right of the tv into the air for some odd reason. You have to stand in one specific spot and face your ear toward the tv to hear it. But virtually any volume drowns it and the tv is quiet from all sitting areas. Especially my seat...dead center.

Thus from my experience, Samsung knows how to make a plasma that is quiet. I just don't know why they tolerate this hit and miss buzz these last 2 years.
post #472 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 447
So, if I'm sitting about 8-9 feet back from the display (63") am I going to hear the buzz? This question is to anyone who has experienced the problem.

post #473 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

So, if I'm sitting about 8-9 feet back from the display (63") am I going to hear the buzz? This question is to anyone who has experienced the problem.

Yes there will be a buzz. Unfortunately they all seem to buzz. Some guys have had 5 or 6 screens and they are all very similar.

It will likely only be audible from directly in front of the TV (the buzz is very directional). Even from directly in front it will likely be drowned out by the TV volume at normal level (around 15). From directly in front you will hear it during silent periods in the program or when the volume is quite low (below 10). With surround sound system on watching a movie the buzz will likely not be audible anywhere in the room.
post #474 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

If your tv buzzes, yes. I don't hear any buzz on my 63c550 from any seated position. Even if I sit 6 feet in front of it...dead center. The issue is that there is no guarantee that you will have the same experience.
post #475 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalena View Post

Yes there will be a buzz. Unfortunately they all seem to buzz. Some guys have had 5 or 6 screens and they are all very similar.

It will likely only be audible from directly in front of the TV (the buzz is very directional). Even from directly in front it will likely be drowned out by the TV volume at normal level (around 15). From directly in front you will hear it during silent periods in the program or when the volume is quite low (below 10). With surround sound system on watching a movie the buzz will likely not be audible anywhere in the room.

How accurate this is I don't know but the reps told HHgregg that the major buzzing issue is with the 7000 and 8000 series plasmas. I was going to try and stick with it until we asked the Samsung rep if any firmware would be out to try and correct and they said No. Nothing is being done at this point and they do not plan on a fix coming out anytime soon.
post #476 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 03:03 PM

I'm new to the discussion, and don't own these models, but am in the market for a new one, and the PN58C8000 is at the top of my list.

I have tinnitus, and have found that high pitched frequencies tend to aggravate it. Is this "buzz" similar to that emmited from an old-school CRT tube TV? Or is it more like white noise, like from a fan?

Based on discussions, I'm very leery of getting caught in the endless loop of returns, if I can't handle the buzz. If that's the case, I'd rather just go with an LED-LCD, or shoot for a plasma model that is less prone to this issue.

If it's more like white noise, though, I could probably live with that.
post #477 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 04:42 PM

My new 63C8000 definitely buzzes, but its only noticeable when everything is on mute AND when my PS3 / XBOX 360 is off AND when my DVR is unplugged as the HD spinning is more noticeable.

Its directional precisely down the center at about 8-10 feet, but I can live with this.
post #478 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jader201 View Post

I'm new to the discussion, and don't own these models, but am in the market for a new one, and the PN58C8000 is at the top of my list.

I have tinnitus, and have found that high pitched frequencies tend to aggravate it. Is this "buzz" similar to that emmited from an old-school CRT tube TV? Or is it more like white noise, like from a fan?

Based on discussions, I'm very leery of getting caught in the endless loop of returns, if I can't handle the buzz. If that's the case, I'd rather just go with an LED-LCD, or shoot for a plasma model that is less prone to this issue.

If it's more like white noise, though, I could probably live with that.

Its best described as a bug zapper / florescent light buzz.
post #479 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiresDivam72 View Post

New owner of a pn50c450 and I find the buzz to be very minimal. I can honestly only hear it when the TV is muted and it's still not that bad. With average volume, I can't hear any buzz whatsoever.

Same thing with my Panasonic 65 S2.
post #480 of 994 Old 10-20-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jader201 View Post

Do yourself a favor and try listening to one b4 u buy... and yes, mine is a buzzard

Also why doesn't anybody want to discuss the extreme RF Interferance from this current range of Samsung Plasma?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page