2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 994 Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still debating whether or not to go with a Samsung plasma. One thing that may help, in my case, is that our TV will sit higher, such that the bottom edge will be at or above eye level (and about 15' away from us).

For those that have the buzz, is the sound fairly limited to the center of the screen? Is it still audible to the left/right and below/above the set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 994 Old 11-01-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jader201 View Post

I'm still debating whether or not to go with a Samsung plasma. One thing that may help, in my case, is that our TV will sit higher, such that the bottom edge will be at or above eye level (and about 15' away from us).

For those that have the buzz, is the sound fairly limited to the center of the screen? Is it still audible to the left/right and below/above the set?

not audible to the sides or above below. very directional. centered though across the entire length of the screen.
Of the 5 seats we have in our living room it is only audible from one seat dead centre. When watching a movie with the surround sound on its not audible from any seat barring when there is silence in the movie.
post #543 of 994 Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 PM

My meeting with the QC guy is later this week. Until then I'll recount what I've gathered so far from my experience...

-I've had 2 buzzers. The first was made in Sept 2010, the current one in July 2010, both made in Tijuana Mexico. People have been complaining about the buzzing for well over a year for many similar models so this definitely isn't a small batch of bad models that are getting all the complaints.

-The buzzing is completely directional and appears to create a "tunnel" of buzz in the shape of the TV directly perpendicular to the screen. It actually gets more pronounced as you get further back. We're getting by using the swivel stand and pointing it just away from where we choose to sit on the couch.

-Our normal prime (center) viewing location is 14-ish feet away. It's still very audible at least 17' away in normal conditions. The Samsung site specifically notes that hearing the buzz beyond 15' is not normal. (Sorry, the site is preventing me from additing the link to this page until I make 3 posts)

-I have my set and other components plugged into a Monster Clean Power rack. It buzzes whenever the screen is on, even with all inputs (HDMI's) removed.

-The ferrite clips included do not help. It's not an interference issue from outside sources

-Turning all screen settings to zero (Brightness, Contrast, color, etc) does nothing to help the buzz.

-I ran all the test & reference screens from Digital Video Essentials to check if it's one particular thing that makes it better or worse - I noticed no change apart from very slight change in the frequency for certain colors/brightness levels, and even those slight differences were only audible in the middle of the night in dead silence.

-The directional buzz is audible 30' away in a silent environment (my house won't allow a test any further away). At first I wasn't sure if I could hear it but turning the TV off and on made it very easy to hear the buzz starting & stopping. When the power starts the buzz comes on, then stops briefly before the TV finally powers up fully and constantly buzzes away.

-Using the Eco Solution to turn the picture off but leave the speakers on does indeed kill the buzz. This is useless as a solution but proves that it's not the speakers. It's either a defect of the screen and/or the internal parts used to supply power to the screen.

-I don't believe all the current Samsung Plasmas buzz this much. There are plenty of people on the owners forum and other sites' forums with no complaints. Others have said they traded in multiple units before finding a good one. From all these forum complaints it seems like they all have problems, but the people who got good ones are likely at home enjoying their TVs and not online complaining about it.

-Don't let anyone tell you "just turn up the volume to drown it out". Our TV is part of a 1000+ watt home theater setup and I love cranking the volume but even the loudest of action movies have their quiet parts. Trying to watch Hurt Locker was not fun.
post #544 of 994 Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 AM

Only mention of the buzz I can find on Samsung.com

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/...14966&PROD_ID=
post #545 of 994 Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_teduardo View Post

I don't believe all the current Samsung Plasmas buzz this much. There are plenty of people on the owners forum and other sites' forums with no complaints. Others have said they traded in multiple units before finding a good one. From all these forum complaints it seems like they all have problems, but the people who got good ones are likely at home enjoying their TVs and not online complaining about it.

There are too many reported cases for this to be a likely scenario. People in the US, Canada, Europe and Australia are all complaining about the buzzing on these panels. Some people have returned 4 or 5 panels and still get the buzzing. Its plausible that some buzz more than others. More likely scenario for those not complaining about buzzing is they can't here it, never noticed it, think its normal or just don't care. You would be surprised the number of layperson LCD owners who would swear to you that they don't have motion blurr or that there TV is perfect for off-axis viewing, that is until you point it out to them...
post #546 of 994 Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalena View Post

More likely scenario for those not complaining about buzzing is they can't here it, never noticed it, think its normal or just don't care. You would be surprised the number of layperson LCD owners who would swear to you that they don't have motion blurr or that there TV is perfect for off-axis viewing, that is until you point it out to them...

And that's what I get for obsessing over researching these, and reading about all of these problems. Had I just bought one (LCD or plasma) and enjoyed it like most people do, I would have been none the wiser.
post #547 of 994 Old 11-02-2010, 09:17 PM

lol. Got on Ventrilo with an online friend for the first time since getting my PN58C7000. Was using the plasma as a monitor.

First thing he asked was "What is that buzzing sound in the background?".
post #548 of 994 Old 11-03-2010, 12:11 AM

If my message can save one poor soul from a life of buzzing then this is worth it. DO NOT KEEP OR PURCHASE THE SAMSUNG PLASMA! Since switching to VT25 life is good.
post #549 of 994 Old 11-03-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micbob View Post

If my message can save one poor soul from a life of buzzing then this is worth it. DO NOT KEEP OR PURCHASE THE SAMSUNG PLASMA! Since switching to VT25 life is good.

But yet there are several owners satisfied with theirs (most of whom don't visit these forums).

I still think it's possible to own one without being bothered by the buzz, even in the event you can hear it.
post #550 of 994 Old 11-03-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I still think it's possible to own one without being bothered by the buzz, even in the event you can hear it.

Wrong, when I can hear a buzz, it definitely bothers me!
post #551 of 994 Old 11-03-2010, 06:23 AM

Just returned mine to best buy. Thought I could live with the buzz. Gave it about 3 weeks, but couldn't take it anymore. Just as many have said ... Very directional, right in front of the set, and seemingly at it's worst 8-10 feet from the set - right where I wanted to sit. Fantastic picture. - 0 complaints there - but too much money to put up with that loud buzz. I had the 63 inch 8000.

I'll take another look next year.
post #552 of 994 Old 11-03-2010, 07:44 AM

I just received my PN58C8000 and although it does have a buzz I can only hear it from certain points in the room (at standing height) with the volume off and pure black screens cause it to be the loudest. The buzz is directional but fortunately where I sit the buzz must pass over my head because once I am in my viewing position I cant hear anything.

My is wall mounted and the bottom bezel is around 4 1/2 feet from the ground. Even with he TV titled down I still hear nothing. If my viewing conditions were different I would be pretty annoyed but I must have just lucked out.
post #553 of 994 Old 11-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The Buzz issue has prevented me from - to date- buying the Samsung PN58C8000. It's particularly irritating because it can be had for a great price but from a vendor where returns may be difficult.

But I have to admit to not understanding why no such Buzz is ever mentioned in any mainstream review.

PCMag gives it an Editor Choice award with no mention of a Buzz.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372085,00.asp
post #554 of 994 Old 11-05-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

The Buzz issue has prevented me from - to date- buying the Samsung PN58C8000. It's particularly irritating because it can be had for a great price but from a vendor where returns may be difficult.

But I have to admit to not understanding why no such Buzz is ever mentioned in any mainstream review.

PCMag gives it an Editor Choice award with no mention of a Buzz.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372085,00.asp

I'm in the same boat. One thing that I did was purchase a 36" TV stand, so that the center sits above eye level, in hopes that that will minimize or eliminate any potential buzz.

I also think that some of us (yes, including myself) are a little more obsessive about stuff like that, and for most people, it's a non issue, and don't even pay any attention to it.
post #555 of 994 Old 11-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also think that some of us (yes, including myself) are a little more obsessive about stuff like that, and for most people, it's a non issue, and don't even pay any attention to it.

AVS is one of my favorite sites and is/was absolutely invaluable beyond measure for one particular device I own.

But I agree with you. My guess is that if I never read of this Buzz issue I would likely never notice anything wrong.

But you can't unring a bell. I am afraid if I bought this TV I would forever spend half the time looking for something to watch and the other half straining to hear a real or imagined Buzz.
post #556 of 994 Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM

I just had my 63c8000 delivered yesterday and there's no buzz. I can hear a uniform hum if I put my ear 6" from the screen but at 1' it is not audible. Only have 8 hours on it so I'll see if it gets louder.
post #557 of 994 Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM

Great...i was thinking about ordering the 58" or 63" Series-8 Plasma 3DTV tonight...now I'm afraid to cuz of all the buzzing complaints.

Is this something on all plasmas or just with Samsung right now? Panasonic do the same thing?
post #558 of 994 Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 AM

I've had my 50C8000 for 3 weeks and am happy to say no buzz! I'm getting Dish HD service on Sunday also, can't wait.
post #559 of 994 Old 11-05-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vice86 View Post

Great...i was thinking about ordering the 58" or 63" Series-8 Plasma 3DTV tonight...now I'm afraid to cuz of all the buzzing complaints.

Is this something on all plasmas or just with Samsung right now? Panasonic do the same thing?

Seems to be exclusive to Samsungs.

I've yet to see a single 63" Samsung plasma from 2010 which doesn't buzz - that'd be 4/4 including a floor model, which was audible in a busy big box store (!).

I'm of the opinion that every Samsung 63" buzzes. Some people are unable to hear it, which is very good for them. But if you are able to hear it, my unprofessional advice would be to steer clear. I've had three delivered to my house now, all buzz.
post #560 of 994 Old 11-05-2010, 02:55 PM

I just finished watching my brother go through several pn50C550, all with buzzing. It was an enormous distraction for him. He went to the Panasonic sets(50" and 42"), but instead of a directional buzz, there was a general hum which was noticable from all seats in the living room and bedrooms. Don't think Panasonic don't have a buzz. He got frustrated and ended up with a 52" Sharp Aquos 820. He said he would rather deal with the motions issues instead of the buzzing.

When he was looking at the Panasonics, I noticed the PN50C8000 in another room at our local AV store. Since the set was by itself, I was able to listen for buzz. Nothing. I pointed this out to him, and he didn't detect the buzz either. He is extremely sensitive to the buzz, so this surprised us both. He didn't want to spend the extra money for the 8000 though, there was still a chance the one he would get could buzz as well.

Couple weeks later, I went ahead and took the plunge for the PN50C8000. I guess I got lucky, but no buzz detectable.
post #561 of 994 Old 11-05-2010, 06:53 PM
ETA

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass View Post

I'm of the opinion that every Samsung 63" buzzes. Some people are unable to hear it, which is very good for them. But if you are able to hear it, my unprofessional advice would be to steer clear. I've had three delivered to my house now, all buzz.

No buzz on mine that can be heard more than about 2 feet away so far (including by my 13 year old). I've had the set for about 3 weeks now and might have 100 hours or so on it -- hopefully the buzz situation won't change.

Reading through the posts on this site I wonder if in some cases the 2 sources of buzzing on the 63" sets (from the right and left sides of the back of the set) are reenforcing each other? The fact that the buzzing issue that people are running into is so directional makes this sounds like that could be the case. If so, I wonder if doing something which would "offset" the sound waves from each source would improve things. Someone with more experience with audio than I have might have some insight into this -- could some kind of deflectors on the back of the set help maybe...?
post #562 of 994 Old 11-06-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vice86 View Post

I went through several Samsungs all buzzed! Finally went to a VT25 Panasonic and no buzz! Have had it about a month and cant hear a thing. Believe me after my Samsung experience it it even had a hint of a buzz or hum I would detect it.
post #563 of 994 Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micbob View Post

I went through several Samsungs all buzzed! Finally went to a VT25 Panasonic and no buzz! Have had it about a month and cant hear a thing. Believe me after my Samsung experience it it even had a hint of a buzz or hum I would detect it.

micbob, did you have to put up a lot more money for the VT25, or did you drop a size? Would be curious to hear the difference in price/size between the Samsungs you tried and the VT25. Also, what model Samsung did you try?
post #564 of 994 Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udt12 View Post

I've had my 50C8000 for 3 weeks and am happy to say no buzz! I'm getting Dish HD service on Sunday also, can't wait.

I have a 50C8000 also... Went from a buzzer 58" to a 50" with minimal buzz. (I would say the buzz on my 50" is only slightly directional... And it is opposite the 58" in regards to buzzing. Brighter screens on the 50" cause the buzz... While on the 58" darker screens caused the buzz.)

I've had the same results after about 6 weeks as you with my 50"... The 50" is way better, it still buzzes but I only rarely notice it. Honestly if I would have started with the 50" I wouldn't even have went hunting online to try to figure out why my TV was making such an annoying noise. (I know there are some 50" buzzers reported out there but it seems that in general the 50" C8000 is quieter than the 58" / 63".)

More details here from about a month ago / same is still true today:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19273159
post #565 of 994 Old 11-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

It being November already, how many of us who are not in a desperate state of needing a new TV immediately are waiting for the 2011 models and hoping they no longer have a Buzz issue.

And how many had the same hope a year ago for the 2010 models?
post #566 of 994 Old 11-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

I know there are some 50" buzzers reported out there but it seems that in general the 50" C8000 is quieter than the 58" / 63"

The 50" is a lot smaller than the 58" and 63" so with smaller components, lower power consumption and much smaller screen surface area, its plausible that the smaller 50" would have less audible buzz.
post #567 of 994 Old 11-06-2010, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
PN50C8000 here since Wed & no buzz I can hear.
post #568 of 994 Old 11-06-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
It being November already, how many of us who are not in a desperate state of needing a new TV immediately are waiting for the 2011 models and hoping they no longer have a Buzz issue.

And how many had the same hope a year ago for the 2010 models?
When would we expect 2011's to be released? Like cars, any day now, or in calendar 2011?
post #569 of 994 Old 11-06-2010, 06:56 PM

I just had a Samsung 63 inch c550 delivered and there is no discernible buzz that I or my family can hear. I am running break in slides and even white or black or up close or far away. Only a couple hours on it so far.

Have most people had this right away or have some popped up later?
post #570 of 994 Old 11-06-2010, 07:18 PM

Right away for all of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page