2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2010, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think the buzzing is in most peoples head all tvs so call buzzes some if you tell your self enough it buzzes you will hear it buzzing buzzing is like a nats fart u tell your self enough a nats fart will sound like a tornado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 12:29 AM

I bought the 50 inch c450 yesterday and there is a slight buzz when the sound is off. I think it changes a bit when the screen has words on it for some reason.

It is very minor and I bought a box set sony bvd t11 at Costco today just to have something to hook it to and for the price of this setup it is freaking awesome for a "man cave" as the women like to call it.

Good stuff.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:49 AM

Is this the same buzzing noise that CRT's emmit?
Isn't it electric current that goes through metal causing the noise?

My CRT did this and I had the TV shop pour some kind of thick glue on the tube and it did a great job of quiteing down the buzz noise.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:30 AM

Never really understood this 'Samsung Buzz' problem. I walked around a few tv's at work putting my head within a foot of each and never once did I consider any of them to make a 'buzz' like sound, at least not what I would consider a problem. I've turned all my electronics in my room off have my head one foot from my PN50B650, and I can't hear any buzzing.

I don't doubt that maybe some TV's are louder than others and that perhaps I got lucky, but I've never heard a buzz come from any Samsung plasma that I thought was unusual and nothing that would overcome the TV's audio being set to anything above 5 on the audio. My PS3 is definitely a lot louder and my Xbox360 is louder again.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For people questioning the buzzing- I have heard stories of some people who got replacements that buzzed perceptibly less or not at all, so there is a difference from TV to TV. The other issue in play, that some are not realizing, is that everyone's hearing is different. The ability to hear more decibels, as well as hear higher frequencies; I think the latter is most relevant in this case.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM

I just picked up a C550 over the weekend and no buzzing here.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:42 PM

I realize this thread is for 2010 Samsung Plasma buzzing, but I have a 2009 model that I purchased (manufactured in Jan 2010), and it does indeed buzz. I definitely would purchase it from a place that has a good return policy if you are concerned. It bothers me a little bit, but I usually just forget about it, and I don't even hear it. It's not super loud, but it's definitely loud enough if I focus. The picture quality makes up for it. I personally don't think it buzzes abnormally loud.

*All* plasmas buzz and all people have different abilities to hear the buzz. So, you really shouldn't buy a plasma if it is going to bother you.

I will guarantee you one thing. The more you read threads on buzzing, the more disinterested and frustrated you will become with your TV or soon-to-be TV. So, my advice: Buy it, return it if you absolutely hate it, but otherwise... suck it up and enjoy the great picture.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy11 View Post

Stop hitting youself with the same hammer. Maybe get a panny G20 or an LG, they have great plasmas as well.

Don't get sucked in by this crap.....same story as before on the other thread...guys are saying the new C models "buzz" like crazy and there doin the same thing....returning and or exchanging numerous times and always getting another buzzer. We all know the impossibilities of this but some keep buying into it don't be one of them.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:25 PM

shouldn't people say where they are living as well due to altitude>>>I live outside Philly and want to buy the 58b550 or c550 and hope to have no or little buzzing - i have none right now on my panny plasma from 3 years ago!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

I'm not trying to deny folks have issues with these, but I just don't understand what's going on here. Every time I'm in a store, I put my ear right up to every Sammy plasma they have on display and have yet to hear any type of buzz. This goes the same with the Sammy plasmas I've calibrated as well.

My guess is that if you're on your third Sammy plasma and you've gotten buzz on all three, maybe it's not the plasma. Maybe it's something else? Are you sure all of your equipment is properly shielded and grounded? Have you tried running all of your equipment through a line conditioner?

One thing you could do if you're getting them at a B&M store is plug it in there and see if it still buzzes. If not, then it's something at your house. If so, then you've proven it is truly the TV.

I hear ya man!!! I've researched this till I was sick of doing it. I stopped at around 450 sets....850 and 860's never heard one that had anything but a very slight plasma hum....like mine, many were almost or silent. Quite a few were silent. I've never known anyone with a buzzer...and they've never known anyone with a buzzer and so on and so on and so on. Wouldn't someone think that with the so called buzzing epidemic that these sets have that someone in this line of known individuals that I describe...would at least know someone???

There are reports of 4 time exchanges, all buzzers. (and of course it's starting all over again in this new thread)....the store I bought mine from has sold hundreds and hundreds and they claim only two were returned for a suspicious hum ( they were resold as open items and discounted and never returned again) My local BB has stated they almost never have one come back. They cannot even get restocked fast enough and have complained to corporate that they need more. They have even claimed this set would out sell the 46 and 55 series 8 LED/LCD if they had them to sell to the buyers it was hooking with the store display. It hooked me (I just wasn't dumb enough to buy it there) I know a lot of workers there...so I know what the truth is in the store.

I've contacted BB corporate offices, I've contacted Samsung USA. I cannot seem to see or find the smallest hint that there is in any way a major issue with the Samsung sets. Except here! Where we hear about hornets nest, splitting headaches, ear infections and loss of hearing to the family dog...all from these Samsung sets.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:05 PM

I was in Best Buy over the weekend and the 42" c450 was quiet while the 50" c550 was very noticable even over all the noise surrounding me. I would have bought the 50" had it been quiet.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydonkey View Post

I think the buzzing is in most peoples head all tvs so call buzzes some if you tell your self enough it buzzes you will hear it buzzing buzzing is like a nats fart u tell your self enough a nats fart will sound like a tornado

is that even comprehensible?

Pioneer PDP-6020FD E-lite
Old 03-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a pn50a650t and it does buzz but i can only hear it if i get really close to it with no sound. It in no way distracts from any viewing and it is normal. NO BIG DEAL
Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb82 View Post

I have a pn50a650t and it does buzz but i can only hear it if i get really close to it with no sound. It in no way distracts from any viewing and it is normal. NO BIG DEAL

pn50a650t is a 2008 tv. we are talking about the 2010 tvs
Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 PM

Mine is worse than I thought. I was watching it last night with the sound way down and it is rather obnoxious. I fiddled with the settings and can get it to go away, or at least 80 percent of it but then the picture doesn't look as good. The cell light setting has a major effect on it IMO.

I can hear it over low volumes from 10 feet away. My house is completely silent so it might be worse for me.

I am tempted to take it back for the same level cheap Panasonic. I doubt the Panasonic will look this good but I don't think it would look horrible. My costco Panasonic downstairs is silent.

If I decide to keep it I might just put it downstairs where we sit 15-18 feet away.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I know its a 2008 model but they are supposed to buzz its hardly noticeable to me until I started reading this discussion now it seems to be getting louder and louder never thought twice about it until now. Talk about the power of suggestion geez
Old 03-24-2010, 10:39 PM

People

samsung said they did some about their BUZZING.

i was reading something from flatpanelshd.com. they said that samsung has fix there BUZZING.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/article....&id=1267184615

- Ask them if they have done anything to reduce the buzzing on their thin plasma models.

They have. At least according to the Samsung folks. We’ll find out in our review.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 AM

Liked: 11
The Samsung plasma buzz is absolutely real. The problem is the buzz isn't heard from up close, but far away (12+ feet). I noticed this first hand with 2 sets. The buzz is very directional -- mainly heard when you are sitting right in front of the TV. The height of your TV stand seems to play into it too. Anyway, this can be a non-issue for a lot of people but if it's right smack in your viewing area it can definitely be an annoyance.

The buzz I am talking about is nothing like normal plasma buzz or CRT noise. Not everyone on the buzz thread are exaggerating.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
New 4 series 50" within 6 inches of TV I hear a faint buzz. Beyond that nothing.

Home Theater is GREAT
Old 03-26-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo View Post

The Samsung plasma buzz is absolutely real. The problem is the buzz isn't heard from up close, but far away (12+ feet). I noticed this first hand with 2 sets. The buzz is very directional -- mainly heard when you are sitting right in front of the TV. The height of your TV stand seems to play into it too. Anyway, this can be a non-issue for a lot of people but if it's right smack in your viewing area it can definitely be an annoyance.

The buzz I am talking about is nothing like normal plasma buzz or CRT noise. Not everyone on the buzz thread are exaggerating.

Thank you for your statement....I feel you should be rewarded as the answer to the so called buzz issue. Just as you put down in black and white...."The height of your stand seems to play into it"

So folks, just raise or lower your set a little until you no longer hear any directional annoying sounds. Problem solved. Thanks booloo!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackary Bass View Post

Thank you for your statement....I feel you should be rewarded as the answer to the so called buzz issue. Just as you put down in black and white...."The height of your stand seems to play into it"

So folks, just raise or lower your set a little until you no longer hear any directional annoying sounds. Problem solved. Thanks booloo!

Still? Look, we're happy your set is as quiet as a mouse and we get that you really dont believe that there's a problem, because you dont have a problem. Your contributions are noted, no need to continue with the condesending, skeptical posts. Just enjoy your set and have a good day already.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
Old 03-26-2010, 11:20 PM

I am trying to decide if I want to wait until the 2010
Samsung PN63C590 are available or buy a 63B. The buzzing issue aside does anyone know a good source for a comparison of the models or specific changes. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:44 AM

When do these sets come out? And is there any way to tell if they will have buzzing as well, or does it differ depending on the line for the 2010s?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackary Bass View Post

Just so you know, I'm another disappointed 850 owner (and damn I wish I wasn't!). For those curious, raising the height of your set will do you no good if you are in a small room, since the sound will just continue to bounce around.

The only placement that has worked for me to bring the sound down to what really is considered normal plasma buzz, is if I put my head immediately above or below the television. I mean, I know plasma has fantastic viewing angles, but...
Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 PM

I just took mine back. The set was awesome except for the buzz and easy IR.

If those two problems were fixed this set would be the best of the year at its price. I can't stand the buzzing so bye Samsung.

hell, it would be the best ever at its price if it didn't have those flaws.

I had the 450c
Old 03-28-2010, 04:47 PM

What will you replace yours with?

I have the 50 inch 550 model that I am going to replace with the Panny G20. I saw the G20 at BB today and it appears that it does have some buzzing coming the back but it is not so noticeable from the front.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:11 PM

I bought the tv for the loft, mostly night viewing with the sound low for when my girlfriend is sleeping. For a cheap tv the Samsung looked awesome. I felt like I was sitting by powerlines when it was on low volume though.

I got the 50 panasonic C2 and it is a base base base model in every way but for my use it will be perfect and NOT annoying. It certainly doesn't look as good, but it isn't bad. I can barely tell that it is on when the sound is muted.

If the Samsung had no IR problems and no buzz I wouldn't ever need another tv and for the price it would be unbeatable.

I probably should have got something smaller but for the price of this thing or the Samsung, 50 inches is hard to pass up.

It really is a shame though because that Samsung looks awesome for a cheap tv.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM

Just purchased the Samsung C550 over the weekend and it buzzes...its a low hum sound that is emitted from the back of the TV at the top and bottom where the air vents are. This is the 3rd Samsung that I have returned..the previous ones being the "B" 2009 models. The sound is particularly obvious when watching tv at lower volumes. This is disappointing as you would have thought that Samsung had fixed this problem before releasing the 2010 models.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 AM

I purchased the 42" c450 from Amazon last week. I took delivery on April 1st. The thing started buzzing right out of the box. I've tried everything that has been suggested in this thread to no avail. Should I call Samsung or send it back to Amazon?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obuengineer View Post

I purchased the 42" c450 from Amazon last week. I took delivery on April 1st. The thing started buzzing right out of the box. I've tried everything that has been suggested in this thread to no avail. Should I call Samsung or send it back to Amazon?

I've been through 3 42c450 plasmas. The first set had a minimal hum, but had a dead pixel pop up after a few days use. Took it back for another locally. Second set had a very loud buzz that was very different from the first set. Called Samsung and had a Technician call me back. He said it is hit and miss - his directions from Samsung when this happens is to replace the power supply, then if it still is a problem, to request a new panel. He said it is not uncommon for Samsung to deny new panel requests. He suggested I try exchanging it for another - he also mentioned that the buzz will quiet a little in volume after the first 200hrs (break-in), but couldn't guarantee it would be resolved.

Took that one back for a third (and last as the local retailer could'nt guarantee me exchanging tv after tv) and this one is exactly like the first set - with only a faint hum...only a touch louder than my family members Panasonic X1 - because this one comes out from the screen rather than from the back of the TV.

All in all...it seems hit and miss with the c450s - I'd exchange it...For the price/PQ...these c450s are a STEAL.