post #631 of 994 Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAN O View Post

Very good point. I agree with that. But also understand everyone's concern about the buzzing. And have brought it to my contacts at Samsung and they are treating this as a case by case issue. As I mentioned before Buzz varies from house hold to house hold and from person to person. I have a long history with buzz when Pioneers had the issue so I am familiar and how annoying it could be. I will tell you that I dont get many complaints anymore on the Samsung's and if I do I get involved with them, so anything I can do to help I am here.

Intertesting that you say you're seeing fewer buzz-related issues this year. Since the panel is a dual glass design (film in the front), the conventional wisdom was that it would resonate more strongly.

What percentage of Samsung (or Panasonic and LG) sets you sell would you estimate you get buzz-related complaints/returns/exchanges?

A friend from work has a 2009 Samsung plasma which has an unmistakable buzz (a discounted Best Buy return). My 58" C7000 is whisper-quiet compared to his.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 994 Old 11-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Liked: 10
My PN50C7000's buzz has been increasing in severity over the past two weeks. Since the tech came out and said nothing can be done, what are my options? I will call Samsung and make sure they understand that I find this unacceptable, but I'm unsure of how far that will get me. The guy that came to fix my TV was a bit of a douche and I certainly don't trust his judgement. What does it take to get them to replace the entire set?

I just received my Boxee Box this weekend and navigating the menus results in the worst buzz yet. It's clearly audible even with my dishwasher running full blast 10 feet behind me. I thought perhaps I could accept it, but now that I hear it even over moderately volumed content, it is all I notice.
post #633 of 994 Old 11-15-2010, 10:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

Intertesting that you say you're seeing fewer buzz-related issues this year. Since the panel is a dual glass design (film in the front), the conventional wisdom was that it would resonate more strongly.

What percentage of Samsung (or Panasonic and LG) sets you sell would you estimate you get buzz-related complaints/returns/exchanges?

A friend from work has a 2009 Samsung plasma which has an unmistakable buzz (a discounted Best Buy return). My 58" C7000 is whisper-quiet compared to his.

Its hard to guess but less than 5%. We here at AVS are more critical about our units just like I am I have not had a single complaint this month When I mentioned last year Pioneer was VERY bad complaint wise compared to these models but one way or another we dealt with it with clients.
post #634 of 994 Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elixxxer View Post

My PN50C7000's buzz has been increasing in severity over the past two weeks. Since the tech came out and said nothing can be done, what are my options? I will call Samsung and make sure they understand that I find this unacceptable, but I'm unsure of how far that will get me. The guy that came to fix my TV was a bit of a douche and I certainly don't trust his judgement. What does it take to get them to replace the entire set?

I just received my Boxee Box this weekend and navigating the menus results in the worst buzz yet. It's clearly audible even with my dishwasher running full blast 10 feet behind me. I thought perhaps I could accept it, but now that I hear it even over moderately volumed content, it is all I notice.

Ask them for a second opinion first from another tech as it depends on the person unfortunately
post #635 of 994 Old 11-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

You're not the first to post such videos but in the others I admit to having wondered if it really is such a big deal.

Yours is eye opening- or maybe it should be ear splitting.

Thanks. Listening to that there is no possibility that I will take a chance of buying one of those.

If this is the buzz common to others who have the issue, I remain mystified how Samsung can continue selling these things. Someone needs to file a class action suit.

Like I said, I was very surprised how pronounced the buzzing was through the camera. I bought my PN58C8000 thinking, "from what I've heard from the videos, those people must just be REALLY picky." Boy, was I wrong.

I believe there was a class action lawsuit on the 2009 models, Samsung just has NO idea of how to fix it. Which is really a shame, because the people that do get good ones, or can't hear it, absolutely LOVE IT!

Good luck on your future purchase, keep us posted on what you finally decide on. I think I might go for the LG 60PK950, not sure yet.
post #636 of 994 Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmastermushxx View Post

I believe there was a class action lawsuit on the 2009 models, Samsung just has NO idea of how to fix it.

Suspect that Samsung simply doesn't care. Not enough people return their TVs to force them to care, and it probably costs a lot of money to implement the fixes for models which were already slated for production.

Vote with your wallet, return your defective unit and get an LG or Panasonic.
post #637 of 994 Old 11-15-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I saw you're video earlier before I bought my PN58C8000, I couldn't really hear anything and I really had to turn up the volume and strain to hear it. That's why I was so surprised my standard def camera picked it up so well.

Yup... The audio equipment in my camera didn't do it justice. I think it is because of the noise of the tape deck. (I bet I would have had better luck with an SD Card / Hard Drive camera.) Only when I tilted the mic fwd and centered it could I hear it distinctly on the recording. The volume has to be up since it is recording buzzing.

Yours is another story. I would return any TV that sounded like that in a heartbeat.
post #638 of 994 Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

Yup... The audio equipment in my camera didn't do it justice. I think it is because of the noise of the tape deck. (I bet I would have had better luck with an SD Card / Hard Drive camera.) Only when I tilted the mic fwd and centered it could I hear it distinctly on the recording. The volume has to be up since it is recording buzzing.

Yours is another story. I would return any TV that sounded like that in a heartbeat.

Either that, or it was designed to clean up buzzing/humming. One guy tried to record buzzing with his iphone, and the iphone cleaned it up considerably.

Quote:

Suspect that Samsung simply doesn't care. Not enough people return their TVs to force them to care, and it probably costs a lot of money to implement the fixes for models which were already slated for production.

I could believe that too, especially considering their main source of income is from their LCD/LEDs.

Like I said, I'm thinking of the LG, only thing stopping me is input lag.
post #639 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 02:39 AM

So I'm think of getting a 6500. I currently have 3 Samsung LCDs and 2 Plasmas in my house. I'm not sure I've ever heard this buzzing.

So my question is, what exactly is this buzzing that everyone talks about?
post #640 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryloc View Post

So I'm think of getting a 6500. I currently have 3 Samsung LCDs and 2 Plasmas in my house. I'm not sure I've ever heard this buzzing.

So my question is, what exactly is this buzzing that everyone talks about?

Have you looked through any of this thread? It's described numerous times. If you even go back one page someone has posted a youtube video of theirs. If yours buzzes, you won't have to wonder if it buzzes.

I have 3 Samsung plasmas. One has louder than normal plasma buzz. The other two are fine.
post #641 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

Have you looked through any of this thread? It's described numerous times. If you even go back one page someone has posted a youtube video of theirs. If yours buzzes, you won't have to wonder if it buzzes.

I have 3 Samsung plasmas. One has louder than normal plasma buzz. The other two are fine.

Wait, you have TWO 2010 Samsung plasmas that are normal plasma buzz? So it's not just your hearing?
post #642 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wait, you have TWO 2010 Samsung plasmas that are normal plasma buzz? So it's not just your hearing?

I have 3 plasmas:
- 2008 Samsung. Almost lcd quiet from anywhere in front of the tv. (not an exaggeration)
- 2009 Samsung. Higher than normal plasma buzz. Non-directional and can be heard anywhere in a room. Didn't take it back because it was a tv/dvd home theater combo...super discount sale at the time. Not so bad once moved into a different room.
- 2010 Samsung. Quiet from all seated positions. Especially quiet dead center 10-11 ft away. Can hear some plasma buzz if I get a couple of feet up to the tv. But I consider that normal.

So no, it's not my hearing. All of the tv's have been in the same room at some point and I can tell the distinct difference in sound between each one.

One of my relatives has a 2010 Samsung plasma and his is "quiet" also. You have to get a couple of feet up to the tv, with it on mute, to hear anything plasma buzz/hum.
post #643 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:

I have 3 plasmas:
- 2008 Samsung. Almost lcd quiet from anywhere in front of the tv. (not an exaggeration)
- 2009 Samsung. Higher than normal plasma buzz. Non-directional and can be heard anywhere in a room. Didn't take it back because it was a tv/dvd home theater combo...super discount sale at the time. Not so bad once moved into a different room.
- 2010 Samsung. Quiet from all seated positions. Especially quiet dead center 10-11 ft away. Can hear some plasma buzz if I get a couple of feet up to the tv. But I consider that normal.

So no, it's not my hearing. All of the tv's have been in the same room at some point and I can tell the distinct difference in sound between each one.

One of my relatives has a 2010 Samsung plasma and his is "quiet" also. You have to get a couple of feet up to the tv, with it on mute, to hear anything plasma buzz/hum.

I'm feeling a little better about an exchange, and the chance I might get a working one.
post #644 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Didn't really want to read through 22 pages. The Youtube video was useless for me as I couldn't hear anything over the devices own noise.

I tested my TVs/Monitors and here's what I heard:
42" Probably 06/07 model - Could hear a buzz a few feet infront of television, but any road noise or Ps3/360 noise will easily cancel it out.
50" 08 model - can hear a slight buzz if I put my ear behind the TV. Even if it were audible infront of TV, hum of my laptop or any volume would cancel it out.
40" 09 LCD - Slight electrical hum behind the TV, Laptop fans drown it out.
40" 07? LCD - Slightly louder electrical hum...behind the TV.
23" 09 LCD Monitor - Minute Hum behind monitor in whisper quiet room.

Results: With my sets, it appears to me I'm simply hearing electrical humming/noise. While it is worse on some, those are older models that use more power. As people have complained bigger TVs have more of an issue perhaps it's slightly related to power consumption?

Working in retail I've experienced that everyone's hearing is different and some people are crazy :P Once had a customer complain that a VCR made a loud humming/buzzing noise. When I told them I couldn't hear it from 3 feet away(with no volume) they put their ear up to the player...That was not a shining moment for humanity.

I'd say if for a person it hums beyond tolerance(which varies by the person) take it back and try again. I'd take this over floating black levels anyday.
post #645 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Didn't really want to read through 22 pages. The Youtube video was useless for me as I couldn't hear anything over the devices own noise.

I'd say if for a person it hums beyond tolerance(which varies by the person) take it back and try again. I'd take this over floating black levels anyday.

All the buzz info is right in this thread...type, description, everything. If you don't care to research in this dedicated buzz thread, then follow your own sound advice. Buy the tv you are interested in. If you don't like it, take it back. No need to read through anything else.
post #646 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Here's the deal. I have read literally hundreds of posts in this and other sites on this buzzing issue. Naturally, when I took delivery of my 8000 yesterday I was sharply focused on this phenomenon. My house is quiet. After set up, I turned the volume down to zero. If I placed my ear within 1 to 2 inches of the back panel, I could here a slight buzz. My installer, 20 years my junior, could also here it from just a little further away from the set, perhaps a foot or so. However, as soon as the TV volume is turned up to audible levels, I can not here the buzzing. On my 50 inch Panasonics, circa 2007, the only sound I here is that of the cooling fans. Now what does all of this mean? First, the Samsungs may, in fact, emit a buzz. But its level may be dependent on many factors including, the quality control in place when the set was manufactured, the hearing of the person watching the set, the level of ambient noise (i.e., the environment in which the TV is watched) the set's location relative to noise being reflected off of certain surfaces and the background of the listener (I grew up in the 50's accustomed to tube TV's that always produced some level of noise-however, I would rank my hearing as good to excellent, especially since I am able to discern very subtle information from commercial recordings and distinguish differences in digital to analog converters utilized in various CD players) just to name a few that are readily apparent. I suspect this is both a manufacturing (but not necessarily one to be described as a defect) issue as well as one having to do with the tolerance levels and auditory abilities of the TV watcher. I'll let you know whether I feel differently after putting several hundred hours on this baby.
post #647 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass View Post

Yeah right. One with inferior black level performance and the other with superior black level performance that the manufacturer advises will worsen over time. Good advice.
post #648 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

IMO, Samsung changed something fundamental in their plasmas in 2009 and it hasn't gone back since. You didn't have hundreds of posts about 2008 Samsungs buzzing. When 2009 hit, buzz posts everywhere. 2010- still more posts of Samsungs buzzing as compared to other brands.

I'm glad I didn't get a buzzer in 2010. But people getting 2 and 3 tv's that have the same buzz and sometimes worse it just crazy. From my own experience, I know they CAN make a plasma that doesn't abnormally buzz. Question is, what has changed in the last two years that they can't fix?
post #649 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:

All the buzz info is right in this thread...type, description, everything. If you don't care to research in this dedicated buzz thread, then follow your own sound advice. Buy the tv you are interested in. If you don't like it, take it back. No need to read through anything else.

Sorry I upset you so much. Sometimes I feel like taking the time to waste hours researching something other times not. I unfortunately forget there are angry jerks out there that would rather be hostile towards others than helpful.

If you would like to have an intelligent conversation or debate I'd be more than willing, but your aggressive attacks and snide comments are unnecessary.
post #650 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just received my PN50C8000 Open Box TV from Amazon.

I was aware of the potential for buzz and seeing as it was an open box item, I was almost sure it would have the buzz. Well I have not heard any buzz, and the TV is perfect. It came as if it was new. I have read in this thread that the buzz can develop. I am wondering what would cause it to do so? Any precautions one can take to limit the risk of it starting? BTW, i love the tv!
post #651 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Sorry I upset you so much. Sometimes I feel like taking the time to waste hours researching something other times not. I unfortunately forget there are angry jerks out there that would rather be hostile towards others than helpful.

If you would like to have an intelligent conversation or debate I'd be more than willing, but your aggressive attacks and snide comments are unnecessary.

I sensed no hostility or snide remarks in his response, but comparing you're laptops and LCD tv's is not going to help you decide weather this TV will buzz or not. Some buzz some don't, some people can hear it and others can't. I'd just buying one, since this TV minus the buzz is phenomenal. If it buzzes, return it or get an exchange. But being too lazy to scan this thread for knowledge and information is not something users on avsforum will respond to with much enthusiasm, especially when the thread is only 22 pages.
post #652 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. I'm not upset, I have no need to be. My Samsung plasma is great.
2. I doesn't take hours to go through the thread. If the thread has the exact answers to your question and has multiple scenarios listing them...then how is it a waste of your time? People research these forums for weeks before making a purchase decision. You don't have 20-30 minutes?
3. "Follow you own sound advice" isn't a snide remark. You said that if the tv hum is above what a person wants, then take it back. It IS sound advice. It's advice that's been repeated in this thread and other buzz threads. You only think it's snide because you haven't checked out the rest of the thread.
4. Considering I haven't called you any names at all, but you've inferred that I was an "angry jerk"....do you really think I am the one launching "aggressive attacks"?
5. I was trying to be helpful. When people ask a question that has been answered multiple times in the same thread, others are less likely to answer it all again. You will find your answer faster looking through the thread than waiting for someone to answer.

So I believe you are reading more into what I actually said.
post #653 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I sensed no hostility or snide remarks in his response, but comparing you're laptops and LCD tv's is not going to help you decide weather this TV will buzz or not. Some buzz some don't, some people can hear it and others can't. I'd just buying one, since this TV minus the buzz is phenomenal. If it buzzes, return it or get an exchange. But being too lazy to scan this thread for knowledge and information is not something users on avsforum will respond to with much enthusiasm, especially when the thread is only 22 pages.

BINGO!! Couldn't have said it better.
post #654 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 04:06 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwiley View Post
First, the Samsungs may, in fact, emit a buzz. But its level may be dependent on many factors including, the quality control in place when the set was manufactured, the hearing of the person watching the set, the level of ambient noise (i.e., the environment in which the TV is watched) the set's location relative to noise being reflected off of certain surfaces and the background of the listener
I'll add to that: the acoustics of the room, I think this is more important than people realize. The acoustics include, the size of the room (all three dimensions), type of flooring, how much and type(s) of furniture, and type of window treatments (if any). These are the same issues that cause people to hear different results from a given audio speaker, as well.
post #655 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwiley View Post
Here's the deal. I have read literally hundreds of posts in this and other sites on this buzzing issue. Naturally, when I took delivery of my 8000 yesterday I was sharply focused on this phenomenon. My house is quiet. After set up, I turned the volume down to zero. If I placed my ear within 1 to 2 inches of the back panel, I could here a slight buzz. ...cut...
What size is your C8000? For the 4 or so that I've listened to to compare the buzz size does matter.

For me: The 2 - 50" sets I listened to sound exactly as you describe... 2 - 58" sets much worse. 63" - Haven't listened to one.

('course for me -> Sample size = 4... Listeners = 3... i.e. No conclusion can be drawn.)
post #656 of 994 Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

What size is your C8000? For the 4 or so that I've listened to to compare the buzz size does matter.

For me: The 2 - 50" sets I listened to sound exactly as you describe... 2 - 58" sets much worse. 63" - Haven't listened to one.

('course for me -> Sample size = 4... Listeners = 3... i.e. No conclusion can be drawn.)

The 65" apparently buzz just as bad as the 58" if not worse, more surface area for buzzing I assume. I was at BestBuy and even over the background noise there I could hear both the 63" and 58" buzzing.
post #657 of 994 Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimylo View Post

Just got a PN58C590 brand new (manufactured in Sept/Oct 2010) that's a super loud buzzer! The screen's at eye level about 13 feet away and it's very loud right in the center position. It really kills the enjoyment of watching tv for me especially quiet scenes in a movie. I can't even press mute to mute the sound and it constantly rings in my ears! I wish I found this thread earlier so that I wouldn't have to deal with returning this thing and hoping that the next one is better...

Got my replacement, same manufacturing date, same buzz. Extremely directional clearly can hear it from 13 feet away front and center. 2-3 feet off each side and you can't hear it anymore. Also if you stand up, you can't hear it anymore. Unfortuntely, that's too big of a sweet spot to not be able to enjoy watching tv from so I think I'm done with the 2010 Samsung plasmas. Well, for what it's worth, the PQ was amazing!
post #658 of 994 Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

I remember a year ago I was reading about the experiences of buyers of 2009 models who were complaining about this unbearable buzz. I was certain Samsung would make certain that the issue was resolved in the 2010 models.

Does anyone today have faith that the 2011 models will NOT buzz?
post #659 of 994 Old 11-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

I remember a year ago I was reading about the experiences of buyers of 2009 models who were complaining about this unbearable buzz. I was certain Samsung would make certain that the issue was resolved in the 2010 models.

Does anyone today have faith that the 2011 models will NOT buzz?

I don't expect Samsung to address the issue until the next major redesign.
post #660 of 994 Old 11-17-2010, 02:37 PM

Update:

Went through three Samsung 63C7000s, all buzzed loudly from 12+ feet and even over quiet audio.

Switched to Panasonic 65VT25, which was finally delivered today. Placed in exact same position as the Samsungs: No detectable buzzing from 12+ feet. PQ is pretty amazing as well, better than I had expected. Blacks are incredible, but unfortunately that won't last long. Was concerned with ugly bezel of Panasonic as well as its' greater thickness, but it's really not noticeable once mounted.

Glad I made the switch. Would've gone with the 65S2 were the VT25 not available in my area, and maybe the Sharp after that - can't go LG personally because of input lag; this is my primary gaming monitor.

Hope 70"+ models get reasonable price tags soon...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page