AVS Forum banner

2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz

159K views 993 replies 345 participants last post by  AvidHiker 
#1 ·
The purpose of this thread is specifically to report whether or not people buying the new 2010 Samsung plasma models are experiencing the dreaded buzz or not.

PNxxC450

PNxxC550

PNxxC6500

PNxxC7000

PNxxC8000

Please report information you have from trusted sources or personal experience with these models as they come out. I had to return my B850 because of buzz. Myself and countless others want to know about these new models. Thank you.

~RomeSC

See less See more
#682 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egpaterson /forum/post/0

Simply not true, dude.

For those of you who are having problems, I'd like to see acoustic spectrogram from your TVs from 0 to 10khz.

BTW, since this is AV science, a mic, a laptop, and Audacity are all that is required to produce a spectrogram.

It would be interesting to see if the buzzing is at a constant frequency or has any common root causes, e.g. Installation, tv settings.

#684 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdalena
no point. they all buzz.
All electronics buzz. The question is whether or not it is unacceptable. For what it is worth, here is the spectrogram and the spectrum from a measurement at 6am (very low background noise in the house) at 1-foot from my PN58C7000.

Yes, there is a tone at 1137 Hz, but it is at -58 db which means that it is inaudible with the sound-system turned on.

Again, I would like to see similar measurements from a known "buzzer".

#686 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egpaterson /forum/post/0

All electronics buzz. The question is whether or not it is unacceptable. For what it is worth, here is the spectrogram and the spectrum from a measurement at 6am (very low background noise in the house) at 1-foot from my PN58C7000.

Yes, there is a tone at 1137 Hz, but it is at -58 db which means that it is inaudible with the sound-system turned on.

Again, I would like to see similar measurements from a known "buzzer".

Try measuring from 12ft, in a few different spots, head on?

#687 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by egpaterson
All electronics buzz. The question is whether or not it is unacceptable.
I totally agree with this (I hear buzzing on my PS3, Wii, laptop power supply, receiver, etc)... Even my Nintendo DS Lite buzzes when the sound is off. I can hear it from at least 2 ft away. (Please though don't start a Nintendo DS Buzzing thread.
)

But the DS doesn't bother me in normal conditions. The PN58C8000 I returned drove me nuts in normal viewing conditions and even more-so at low volume.

Seems like the variables are at least:
  • the listener (age/sensitivity)
  • the setup (location/hookup/etc)
  • the TV.

To test this we would have to isolate it down to just the variable of the TV... And have at least a good sample size of TVs with the same model number. It's also going to be hard to remove the listener (with audio electronics) and the setup (would have to have a consistent installation) variables though...

#689 ·
i hope this is ok...newb here I may have put this in the wrong section

So i got this set recently - pn50c450

awesome picture

but....

am i nuts or is the noise buzz humm people talk about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz8KTUAu0JU

crank it up since my mic pickup on so good on camaera but you should get the idea..

high pitch and it only comes on when tv is on...it is affected SLIGHTLY by contrast brightness settings but not that much...

so am i stuck with this bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#690 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass /forum/post/19540118

If it were the setup, why would my PN63C7000 buzz like a beehive but my Panasonic 65VT25 be silent - exact same spot, connections, everything?

If this is reply to my earlier post I said there were at least 3 factors:
  • the listener (age/sensitivity)
  • the setup (location/hookup/etc)
  • the TV.

Any or all of the factors can impact the intensity / annoyance of the buzzing.

I've seen the setup being a factor in at least a few cases:
  • Wall mounting and aiming the center of the TV where a listener is not sitting can make the buzzing non-obvious
  • I saw a few posts where the person only got LOUD buzzing when plugged into a certain outlet in the house and/or routing a certain way thru the receiver.
  • Some people say the Ferrite Core or a certain surge protector have made the buzzing better / worse. (I figure some people do have bad power. I've noticed power surges in my house that cause buzz to come out of the TV speakers. But it was a brief noise.)
  • I'd also include material playing in the setup. I've had certain channels where you can hear a constant or intermittent buzz.

So to do a true comparison between TVs of the same model you would have to remove all the setup factors.

It sounds like you've removed at least the setup factor for your two tests... And since you can hear the noise, the listener... So I would consider yours a good test. (Not too many people have 2 latest model TVs like you I figure. So the statistical sample size is going to be small...)

My point was trying to come up with a fair way to test 2 TVs of the same brand/model since much of the debate here is "do all latest model Samsung TVs buzz?"

#691 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoyvr /forum/post/19540842

So i got this set recently - pn50c450

am i nuts or is the noise buzz humm people talk about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vz8KTUAu0JU

That sounds like it...

BUT all Samsung Plasma's I've listened to will buzz from behind or right at the side like in your video. If you can hear that same noise clearly 10-15 ft across the room with your ear centered from top/bottom and left/right on the screen then I would define yours as a buzzer.

Here is my buzzing video. It is probably easiest listening from 4:15 on. Sounds just like yours though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fizyUmyLE58

#693 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 /forum/post/19541595

That sounds like it...

BUT all Samsung Plasma's I've listened to will buzz from behind or right at the side like in your video. If you can hear that same noise clearly 10-15 ft across the room with your ear centered from top/bottom and left/right on the screen then I would define yours as a buzzer.

Here is my buzzing video. It is probably easiest listening from 4:15 on. Sounds just like yours though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fizyUmyLE58

Ok, I am on my second pn63c8000 and I have claimed that neither have been a buzzer. I just watched this video two times and couldnt hear any buzz. There are quite a bit of background noises right now in my house but will watch it again if someone confirms that they hear the buzz on this recording as well.

Thanks

#694 ·
OK, wife didnt notice any buzzing on the first set and then after watching the video she could hear it on the new set and video.

I can hear it only if I stick my ear about two inches from the set about 10 inches left of the lower right corner on the front. She can hear it from 10 foot away with low volume on AVR but not at listening volume.

#695 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 /forum/post/19541159

It sounds like you've removed at least the setup factor for your two tests... And since you can hear the noise, the listener... So I would consider yours a good test. (Not too many people have 2 latest model TVs like you I figure. So the statistical sample size is going to be small...)

There are several people in this thread whom have replaced Samsung plasmas with other TVs and had no buzzing from the replacement.

I went through three PN63C7000's before switching to the VT25. Many others in here have done the same/similar. Few if any whom have had buzzers have been able to find non-buzzing Samsungs, which leads me to suspect that the buzz rate with Sammy is very very high.

#696 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass /forum/post/19543158

There are several people in this thread whom have replaced Samsung plasmas with other TVs and had no buzzing from the replacement.

I went through three PN63C7000's before switching to the VT25. Many others in here have done the same/similar. Few if any whom have had buzzers have been able to find non-buzzing Samsungs, which leads me to suspect that the buzz rate with Sammy is very very high.

Yea... A few have went with VT25... I went from a PN58C8000 down to a PN50C8000 to reduce the buzz... (Others say their 50" is a loud buzzer.) I don't recall many (or any) offhand who did a 58" or 63" swap that were much happier though.

I wish there was a scientific, repeatable method that everyone could use to record the Samsung buzzing so we could sent them all into to Samsung... Maybe then they would listen... Or not...

#697 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic /forum/post/19542612

Ok, I am on my second pn63c8000 and I have claimed that neither have been a buzzer. I just watched this video two times and couldnt hear any buzz. There are quite a bit of background noises right now in my house but will watch it again if someone confirms that they hear the buzz on this recording as well.

Thanks

Unfortunately the only camera I had was one with MiniDV tape deck... I tried to record with my Laptop & Audacity, but the PC Mic I have is terrible. I could still make out the noise pretty clearly over the tape deck and you can get a baseline of the tape deck noise when I turned the TV off.

Without the tape deck it would probably be much more pronounced like Nonoyvr's recording

#698 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 /forum/post/19543300

Unfortunately the only camera I had was one with MiniDV tape deck... I tried to record with my Laptop & Audacity, but the PC Mic I have is terrible. I could still make out the noise pretty clearly over the tape deck and you can get a baseline of the tape deck noise when I turned the TV off.

Without the tape deck it would probably be much more pronounced like Nonoyvr's recording

Check out the post right after that one to see final opinions about your video. :)

#700 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmastermushxx /forum/post/19543619

I'm thinking about the VT25, but it's so freaking expensive...what to do, what to do...

As rdellar17 noted before, the posts are hinting that smaller sizes are producing less buzz (I've noticed that in posts as well). So it VT25 is too much, you can get one of a smaller size C8000 and see if the buzz is more bearable. It is all in the personal perception and preference in the end (for me it was worth it in the end to shell $600 more for the 65VT25).

#701 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandea /forum/post/19547360

As rdellar17 noted before, the posts are hinting that smaller sizes are producing less buzz (I've noticed that in posts as well). So it VT25 is too much, you can get one of a smaller size C8000 and see if the buzz is more bearable. It is all in the personal perception and preference in the end (for me it was worth it in the end to shell $600 more for the 65VT25).

Yeah, I just don't want to go that small. I'm wondering if I should attempt another exchange, if Amazon had a warehouse I could go to and get the TV from, instead waiting a week for each exchange, I'd probably be a lot more interested.

My dad can't hear it, my sisters couldn't care less and neither could my mom...it's only me.
They don't play video games, and that's where I hear it the worse, and to make matters worse, we're currently moving...talk about horrible timing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.