Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bill View Post

Speaking of checking for buzz, has anyone gotten one the quiet non-buzzers only to have the buzz manifest later???

Mine was quiet the first day, then it started buzzing. But now, after more than 6 months of having it, it buzzes less but still does and I can hear it every time I sit right in front of it, at 13.5 ft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Speaking of checking for buzz, has anyone gotten one of the quiet "non-buzzers" only to have the buzz manifest later???

Yeah. Mine was perfectly silent at first but after 10 days or so it became louder. Thankfully I have the TV positioned in such a way that I can't hear it while seated, but when I am walking through the room it is pretty damn annoying.

The picture is just so amazing though, I'll have to put up with the buzz.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW--I can hear the buzz on mine when TV volume is <10 (give or take, depending on how loud the source material is), but anything higher than that (assuming no quiet passages) and/or when I'm cranking the audio via my Denon AVR and I can't hear it at all. I don't consider it much of an issue for me...and on top of that, when I had two different buddies over on separate occassions--neither of them could distinguish that there was any buzz while viewing--and this was before I had even mentioned to them that my set buzzed...meaning that if there was any buzz to be heard, it was being drowned out by the volume of the programming material itself.

IOW--do I wish that my set didn't buzz at all...yes. Is the buzz loud enough that I wish I had exchanged it and/or purchased a different model/brand entirely...no.

Tony
Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 AM

I wonder why the Samsungs are so prone to this buzz. Is this somehow due to the ultra slim design innovation?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrowning27 View Post

Yeah. Mine was perfectly silent at first but after 10 days or so it became louder. Thankfully I have the TV positioned in such a way that I can't hear it while seated, but when I am walking through the room it is pretty damn annoying.

The picture is just so amazing though, I'll have to put up with the buzz.

So all the folks that say I got lucky my doesn't buzz may be in for it anyway

Mine will be in at the end of the mth, I will have 45 days to listen and return it if it does.
(I'm hoping since all of the BB's around here are sold out that maybe what's coming in will be a fresh batch).
How is it positioned? Wall mounted? That's how mine will be (a little higher than seated position)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:

How is it positioned? Wall mounted? That's how mine will be (a little higher than seated position)

Usually people with buzzing TVs say it gets much worse when they wall mount it. Mine is on the stand which is better but still buzzes.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Just add to this long list...

I got a Samsung PN63C8000 a few weeks ago. It is a Nov 2010 build. I have never had a plasma. My previous TV was a Sony XBR LCD. I was nervous about the buzzing based on all of the stories on sites like this. Frankly, I did not even know what plasma buzz sounded like. I looked at one at BB and could not hear any buzz over the ambient noise but again, I did not really even know what to listen for. I took the risk and bought the Sammy.

I absolutely love the TV, especially the picture, but I must say that I now know what plasma buzz is. I am not sure buzz is the right word as it is a very high frequency sound and therefore very directional. My wife can't hear it at all. My 9 year old sons hear it perfectly. I am personally very sensitive to high frequency sounds. For example, I can clearly hear the noise making devices that drive off deer and other pests. They drive me nuts!

I am pretty sure that on day one, I had no buzz whatsoever. Then suddenly on day two I started to hear it. Actually later that day, I was playing with the TV with the sound off and my son walked in the room and said "what's that noise?" from about 15' away with no prompting at all.

I have the TV stand mounted and viewing position is about 14' with the center of the TV right about head level or slightly higher. I can hear the sound when the volume is medium to low and during quiet scenes from that position. I would personally define it as overly loud. Is it normal or am I just overly sensitive? I don't have enough experience to answer that.

It does bother me but I am not sure if I am ready to make a stink about it. Because of where I purchased it, I know I could easily get a replacement. But what is the chance that that one will be better? What if it is worse? I am not sure I want to go down that road or if it worth the hassle. At this point I think I am just going to deal with it. The picture really does rock...
Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 AM

New PN58C8000 here with the directional buzz. I can only hear it at an annoying level when I'm in front of the set and more than 15 feet back. Is the set defective if the buzz is directional like this, or is this just how Samsung does normal plasma buzz?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I have had a very similar experience. I have the Samsung PN58C6500, and I would swear up and down it is dead silent. No buzz at all even if I put my head up close to the screen. But my sons can hear it from 20 feet away, even when the sound is on!!!

My hearing is not that bad. I can hear the fan in my hddvd player, and it annoys me at times. My son says, "Dad, the Samsung buzz is like ten times as loud as that fan noise."

My theory: Every one of these TVs buzzes, but not everyone can hear this particular frequency. This explains why some report theirs has no buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb526 View Post

Just add to this long list...

I got a Samsung PN63C8000 a few weeks ago. It is a Nov 2010 build. I have never had a plasma. My previous TV was a Sony XBR LCD. I was nervous about the buzzing based on all of the stories on sites like this. Frankly, I did not even know what plasma buzz sounded like. I looked at one at BB and could not hear any buzz over the ambient noise but again, I did not really even know what to listen for. I took the risk and bought the Sammy.

I absolutely love the TV, especially the picture, but I must say that I now know what plasma buzz is. I am not sure buzz is the right word as it is a very high frequency sound and therefore very directional. My wife can't hear it at all. My 9 year old sons hear it perfectly. I am personally very sensitive to high frequency sounds. For example, I can clearly hear the noise making devices that drive off deer and other pests. They drive me nuts!

I am pretty sure that on day one, I had no buzz whatsoever. Then suddenly on day two I started to hear it. Actually later that day, I was playing with the TV with the sound off and my son walked in the room and said "what's that noise?" from about 15' away with no prompting at all.

I have the TV stand mounted and viewing position is about 14' with the center of the TV right about head level or slightly higher. I can hear the sound when the volume is medium to low and during quiet scenes from that position. I would personally define it as overly loud. Is it normal or am I just overly sensitive? I don't have enough experience to answer that.

It does bother me but I am not sure if I am ready to make a stink about it. Because of where I purchased it, I know I could easily get a replacement. But what is the chance that that one will be better? What if it is worse? I am not sure I want to go down that road or if it worth the hassle. At this point I think I am just going to deal with it. The picture really does rock...

Old 01-06-2011, 11:13 AM

Liked: 13
So the guys at a high end electronics store here said the Samsungs are only rated at ~4500ft elevation, so they dont carry them because theyll buzz. The Panasonics are guaranteed at ~9000 something feet. The city I live in is 7000ft and mine has a buzz.

Seems like an awfully stupid business decision to make a mainstream TV only guaranteed at 4500ft or lower.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:40 PM

if you have good hearing, every one of these sets has a buzz.

if you don't have good hearing, you can't hear the buzz.

I guess I'll just buy a panasonic plasma. I sort of wish these samsungs didn't buzz, because they are a great value.

Directional, skull-numbing, high-pitch, almost electronic sounding noise, BUZZ. The screen focuses it into your head like a laser beam. Unreal. The people testing these TV's during R&D don't have good enough hearing. 60dB buzz at 15ft is completely unacceptable!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Samsung says you should not be able to hear it at 15 feet with the volume set to "15". But, obviously, most of us can still hear it at this range/volume level.

They *should* work with you if you call out a technician. But nobody has found a long-term solution using this method.

I ended up cancelling my 2nd visit from a technician because I didn't want to deal with taking it off the wall. Frankly, if you have this mounted above eye level, you don't have a problem watching it. Walking through the room (as previously noted) can sometimes be annoying though.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Where did you get the 60dB quote from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool1075 View Post

if you have good hearing, every one of these sets has a buzz.

if you don't have good hearing, you can't hear the buzz.

I guess I'll just buy a panasonic plasma. I sort of wish these samsungs didn't buzz, because they are a great value.

Directional, skull-numbing, high-pitch, almost electronic sounding noise, BUZZ. The screen focuses it into your head like a laser beam. Unreal. The people testing these TV's during R&D don't have good enough hearing. 60dB buzz at 15ft is completely unacceptable!

Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb526 View Post

I got a Samsung PN63C8000 a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusjustin View Post

New PN58C8000 here with the directional buzz. I can only hear it at an annoying level when I'm in front of the set and more than 15 feet back. Is the set defective if the buzz is directional like this, or is this just how Samsung does normal plasma buzz?

My 2 cents, FWIW:
I'd return them and get something that makes you happy... These TVs are in no way cheap so they should be darn near perfect for this much money.

You might try the Panasonic VT25 (others here have had good luck with those) or if you can get your money back wait for the 2011 Samsung's and see if the early adopters here start a "2011 Samsung Plasma Buzz" thread.

I went with a PN50C8000 which buzzed way less than my returned PN58C8000, but the 50" still buzzes so if the noise bothers you a lot this isn't going to fix it. The resolution of both are the same, but 8" is a lot of size to lose. (I wasn't happy with the higher on the wall mount option that others have mentioned... It didn't look good in our room.)
Old 01-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

My 2 cents, FWIW:
I'd return them and get something that makes you happy... These TVs are in no way cheap so they should be darn near perfect for this much money.

You might try the Panasonic VT25 (others here have had good luck with those) or if you can get your money back wait for the 2011 Samsung's and see if the early adopters here start a "2011 Samsung Plasma Buzz" thread.

I went with a PN50C8000 which buzzed way less than my returned PN58C8000, but the 50" still buzzes so if the noise bothers you a lot this isn't going to fix it. The resolution of both are the same, but 8" is a lot of size to lose. (I wasn't happy with the higher on the wall mount option that others have mentioned... It didn't look good in our room.)

So the 2011's come out when???
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:

So the 2011's come out when???

They were just announced yesterday at CES... Lots of info out there on them. They say they will be released in the "near future"... Probably in a few months to give them time to clear out the current models...

EDIT: This thread is saying "spring", but they say they'll update as they get more info: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1304494
Old 01-07-2011, 01:50 AM

I own a PN50C450 unit. When I turn it on, I can hear a noticeable modest buzz. Its quite annoying I have to turn up the volume to mask the buzz. I consider a "buzzing" TV abnormal. I haven't complained to Samsung yet. I have been in and out of town. Samsung needs to do something to correct the buzzing issue
Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 AM

David K from CNET said that Samsung told him that the 2011 plasmas will not buzz. Lets see if it holds true.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:01 AM

For those of you newer members wondering if it's the slim design or if Samsung will do anything to help, please read my long post at the end of Page 27.

Now that I've owned a VT25 for a couple weeks, it too does "buzz", but you can really only hear it when it's displaying something very bright, effectively corresponding to the power draw. CRTs are very similar. The Samsung is odd as it is just as loud when the screen is showing black (but still on) as it is 100% white. And even at the VT25's loudest buzz, it's still quieter and less harsh than the Samsung.

I've also noticed the VT25 has a lot less flickering than the PNC8000. I know this is normal for plasmas, but I can now say definitively that the Samsung's is worse. The flickering was very obvious during shows like The Office, where the walls in the background would flicker considerably in a lot of scenes. Haven't noticed it nearly as much with the VT25.

But this made me think that the Samsung might also have a general under-power issue. Or their components are underrated for the task. There are plenty of electronic devices that will buzz and/or flicker if not sufficiently powered.

I'm really curious to see if there's any improvement in the 2011 models. This issue is now extremely well documented. And even the CNET review was updated to acknowledge the issue, although he states that their model didn't buzz more than any other typical plasma - perhaps they had a non-buzzer or a more forgiving testing environment. But at least the high profile reviewers will be on the lookout for the issue in the new models.

I also have a feeling Samsung is ignoring the issue since a large portion of their consumers (i.e. people over 50) simply cannot hear the buzzing or don't have an on-center viewing position. But I'll laugh if there's some sort of age discrimination element added to the inevitable class-action suit over these TVs.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_teduardo View Post

...I'm really curious to see if there's any improvement in the 2011 models. This issue is now extremely well documented. And even the CNET review was updated to acknowledge the issue, although he states that their model didn't buzz more than any other typical plasma - perhaps they had a non-buzzer or a more forgiving testing environment. But at least the high profile reviewers will be on the lookout for the issue in the new models.

Assuming they got a normal set, my theory is that the CNET reviewer didn't hear the buzz because they were using the PN50C8000 as the review sample. (see below) And that because of something about the 50" size it won't buzz nearly as much as the larger sets that most people here have issues with.

I have no idea where the inductor coils are on the 50", but there is something about the small set that makes the buzzing much less than my 58" was. (Maybe the coil location or panel size or less stress on components?) I've compared 2 different 50" C8000's to 2 different 58" C8000's also with similar buzzing results. The 50" gives the normal plasma "buzz" on bright white screens, but step 10-15 ft away and you hear almost no directional buzz on black... The 58" buzz on the other hand was clearly audible from 15 ft away on black.

From CNET (page 2):
Quote:
Update October 19, 2010:

In addition, we made an unrelated update to the bright lighting section to include a comparison to the Samsung PNC7000. It's also worth noting that, unlike some readers, we didn't experience any unusual buzzing sound on our PN50C8000 review sample. It was quieter, all things being equal, than the Panasonic TC-P50G20, for example.

The good news is that CNET and others are going to check for this in 2011 too I bet since they got so many comments in 2010... So hopefully Samsung isn't able to get away with the "your buzz is normal" again...
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 AM

A wk ago, I bought an 8000 Sammy plasma and had delivery set for end of mth (BB said they couldn't ship till then). Since then the website has changed and will not allow you to purchase one (says out of stk and/or cannot ship to store). Just to see, I ck'd the 7000 series and they are no longer available on line but limited to store stk (none of the stores have the 8000's). The other models 550's & 680's are available both ways. I wonder w/the 2010 problems and 11's around the corner they (Samsung) just pulled the rest. Not sure where that leaves me from a $$ perspective
Old 01-10-2011, 07:16 AM

C500.
Installed with the Ferrite cores and no buzzing here.

Love this TV.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 View Post

I have no idea where the inductor coils are on the 50", but there is something about the small set that makes the buzzing much less than my 58" was. (Maybe the coil location or panel size or less stress on components?) I've compared 2 different 50" C8000's to 2 different 58" C8000's also with similar buzzing results. The 50" gives the normal plasma "buzz" on bright white screens, but step 10-15 ft away and you hear almost no directional buzz on black... The 58" buzz on the other hand was clearly audible from 15 ft away on black.

I've had a 58C7000 for about 2 weeks. mostly just breaking in the slides. and wondering if I can deal w this buzz!!! Just moved the TV into proper position from my couch (about 12-14 feet) and the buzzzzzz is pretty noticeable at most volumes.

I love the PQ.. TV looks awesome, but the buzz! And since some have said the 50" is much less buzz... maybe this does suggest it's a power issue? assuming all the same components, coils, etc... maybe the power components are not spec'd well for the 58" size. who knows, but I don't want this buzz. Since they already say the buzz should be fixed on 2011 models. I'm leaning towards sending this 58" back and waiting till end of 2011 to get good price on these new units. but would rather not...arghghgh
Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordlindsey View Post

C500.
Installed with the Ferrite cores and no buzzing here.

Love this TV.

Did it buzz before you installed the Ferrite cores?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Ok I bought a PN63C8000 at the end of December. BB (G' Squad) delivered & installed (on the wall) on 12/31. I love the PQ on this set & I only did some misc calibration using the Spears & Musil disc.
Both my wife & I can clearly hear the buzz since it was installed. & we sit 14 feet away from the TV mounted on the wall. Yes I can mask it with a higher volume setting on a TV show or Blu-ray movie but you can hear it in the background on low (& sometimes medium) volume. It is definitely directional & not always heard in the same spots. The buzzing volume seems to be variable at times. Sometimes I can clearly hear & other times hardly at all. I had the installer come back to validate no issues with the install & they said install was fine & they too could also hear the buzz.
I have been into three different BB stores to listen to the same model (63 & 58 inches) with some on the wall & some on the stand - No buzzing at all on the in store models with one exception - open box PN58C8000 on a stand but in that case I could only hear buzzing if my ear was to the back right side of the unit where some of the holes are sitting at the top to vent the TV unit. No buzzing sound from the front of the TV. I went into one of the separate rooms where you could shut the door & turn the sound off on all the TV's in that room. The PN63C8000 (on it's TV stand) was whisper quiet playing all sorts of blu-ray material (dark/white/etc.) I could only hear normal electrical humming when I had my ear to the back of this unit & nothing once I was in the front of the TV (6 inches to 14 feet out).
The TV repair folks from BB (G'Squad) will be coming out on Tuesday (1/11) to check my set (PN63C8000) to see if we can get rid of the buzz. The repair guys (over the phone) said they were coming out with replacement power supplies because they said that is the most common cause they see with buzzing issue. I have my fingers crossed (hope springs eternal).
Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecstratton View Post

The repair guys (over the phone) said they were coming out with replacement power supplies because they said that is the most common cause they see with buzzing issue

This is doubtful. I watched the Samsung rep change out my power supply and it did nothing. Besides that power unit is in the center and the buzzing really seems to be coming from the sides on the X/Y video boards, particularly from the coils. This is what you can hear when you hold your head to the back near the corners.

And there's just too much ambient noise in BB to do an accurate buzz test, even in the isolation rooms. I've tried several times to hear the buzz in several BB stores and at Frys and you simply cannot hear it. And there's no way that all those floor samples just happen to be non-buzzers. I've heard the buzz in smaller, quieter stores on several Samsung models.

I'd suggest having a backup model in mind so you can use your 30-day return at Best Buy.

While they have your TV opened up, see if they'll let you listen to the coils and let us know if you agree that's where the sound is emanating. If so it might be a cool experiment to see if you can silence the coils by putting a finger on it (with gloves on so you don't get electrocuted) to stop them from vibrating. Perhaps then they could come up with a creative solution to stop the buzzing.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_teduardo View Post

This is doubtful. I watched the Samsung rep change out my power supply and it did nothing. Besides that power unit is in the center and the buzzing really seems to be coming from the sides on the X/Y video boards, particularly from the coils. This is what you can hear when you hold your head to the back near the corners.

And there's just too much ambient noise in BB to do an accurate buzz test, even in the isolation rooms. I've tried several times to hear the buzz in several BB stores and at Frys and you simply cannot hear it. And there's no way that all those floor samples just happen to be non-buzzers. I've heard the buzz in smaller, quieter stores on several Samsung models.

I'd suggest having a backup model in mind so you can use your 30-day return at Best Buy.

While they have your TV opened up, see if they'll let you listen to the coils and let us know if you agree that's where the sound is emanating. If so it might be a cool experiment to see if you can silence the coils by putting a finger on it (with gloves on so you don't get electrocuted) to stop them from vibrating. Perhaps then they could come up with a creative solution to stop the buzzing.

I did open mine up and listen. The buzz comes from the upper right board (especially the small coil), and the left board. The center board is completely quiet.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM

I had my pn63c8000 serviced yesterday for buzzing and other issues. Right off the bat the tech told me the buzzing was in spec. I can easily hear the buzz from more than 20' away over normal volume levels. When he took the back panel off he found a blown capacitor on the Y board. He swapped it out, but it made no difference in the buzzing. It sounds to me like we are going to have live with the buzzing or get a different tv. I don't know about anybody else but my wife will kill me for so much as mentioning a new tv.

The second issue I had was line bleeding. The tech could see it, but wasn't hopeful in being able to fix it. He said in his experience replacing components and even panels won't fix the problem. So it looks like we have to live with this one too.

The third issue was orange smearing while watching 3d. When watching 3d blu-rays there are bands of orange all over the faces of characters. This one really stumped him. He replaced every board on the back of the tv except the power supply, and nothing fixed it. While the movie was paused he showed me a couple of other issues. There were stray red pixels everywhere that should have been black. Also, it had what he called a waterfall effect. While paused you could see the pixels moving. He called Samsung and they authorized a replacement panel.

This replacement panel makes me very nervous. I hope they don't give me a refurbished panel. The last thing I want to do is trade my problems for somebody else's.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:25 AM

Thought I would chime in. 1st set buzzed loudly directionally in the sweet spot.

Got a replacement and it buzzes too.

I test both sets on the oem stands and then wall mounted. Mounted of course the buzz is stronger due to acoutis re-direction. Luckily since my wall mount tilts, I can tile the tv upwards slightly towards the ceiling so that the tv is at about a 15 deg angle from the wall and the buzz, at least directionally to the sweet spot, is minimized. I could not do this with the first TV, which leaves me to believe something different is causing the buzz on the replacement set. Either way I am happy and am keeping the replacement.

a thought based off my experience, there should be acoustic fixes for folks out there to correct directional buzzing. These tvs should not create laser beams of sound unless the wall is a certain distance/angle behind the tv and specifcally the component inside the tv that causes the buzzing. if we locate the buzzing component you should be able to insulate the space behind the tv to absorb or redirect the buzzing.

i am going to play around with some sound dampening material i have left over from some car experiments.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 AM
BSN

Just traded in my 60" LG PX950 for the Samsung C8000. The black levels on the C8000 is much better but, admittedly, the LG trumps the Samsung in color.

Anyway, I've had it for a little over a week now and I don't hear the buzz in front of the TV. Only when I stick my ear in the back towards the right speaker. Really, though, I'm just nitpicking at this point. But I remember that my CRT TV did a little bit of that too.

I live in Long Beach, CA so I am at sea-level. That might be a reason.

I'm going to keep a close eye on this buzz for the 30 days duration Best Buy gives me under their return policy. I also noticed that the VT25 went down in price in anticipation of the 2011 panels. I haven't ruled out the Panny yet.

Joel