AVS Forum banner

2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz

159K views 993 replies 345 participants last post by  AvidHiker 
#1 ·
The purpose of this thread is specifically to report whether or not people buying the new 2010 Samsung plasma models are experiencing the dreaded buzz or not.

PNxxC450

PNxxC550

PNxxC6500

PNxxC7000

PNxxC8000

Please report information you have from trusted sources or personal experience with these models as they come out. I had to return my B850 because of buzz. Myself and countless others want to know about these new models. Thank you.

~RomeSC

See less See more
#754 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefftra /forum/post/19644103

Just picked up the PN50C680, great so far and minimal buzz. I actually didnt even notice it till I went to go behind the tv to run some speaker wires. I sit about 9 feet away and with volume low I cant hear anything. I am assuming all plasmas have a slight buzz, Is this correct?

All plasmas I've ever heard have at least a slight buzz. So assuming you can hear it on one you should be able to hear it on another.

Some don't hear any buzz even from the back on their TV... I consider them lucky.

#755 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdom /forum/post/19643719

Ok, so I bought a Samsung PN58C7000 back in Sept from Amazon, with a build date of April, 2010. Suffered from the directional buzz at center of screen 10' away, like everyone has reported. Kinda bothered me but I thought returning it may get me a worse one.. Anyways fast forward 2 weeks ago, my place was robbed and my TV ended up being destroyed (cracked screen) .. So that one was garbage.. well its in our basement waiting to be thrown out...

So I had to order a new one and since in every aspect I loved the TV, I ordered the same one from Amazon and it just came in today...

I set it up and checked the built date, November 2010... It came with firmware 1030 already! I was surprised!

Anyways, ALMOST ZERO BUZZ!!! The directional buzz is just barely, barely there, I can just hear it if i tilt my head, even volume of 4-5 its gone!!

I am sooo happy!! I am curious if anyone else has a build date of November and hears any buzzing.. I know what I heard before and this set is WAY quieter!!

Just waiting for my insurance check!!

wow that's amazing considering 1030 was released on the 22nd of November. Mine was mfg September and the previous firmware. Almost zero buzz as well even at 0 vol.

#756 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 /forum/post/19644339

All plasmas I've ever heard have at least a slight buzz. So assuming you can hear it on one you should be able to hear it on another.

Some don't hear any buzz even from the back on their TV... I consider them lucky.

I guess I consider myself lucky. picked up my PN58C6400 a week ago and I can't be any happier, no buzz at all, my bar fridge makes more noise.

Been running it with a slide disk they gave me and has close to 70 hrs on it now and the picture is awesome, Mike O is coming the beginning of Jan to calibrate it, can't wait as the PQ is truly great as it is.

Just running it on std mode for now, I have no, zero IR, nothing at all, BRays look awesome and it's a pleasure now to watch sports...

#757 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 /forum/post/19640077

I have a 2009 Samsung that I began to HATE due to non-directional buzzing. Just so happened that I moved it into another room and the acoustics must be different because the buzz reduced significantly and I enjoy the tv now.

Yes, acoustics is one of the factors; and it's important, IMHO. From reading about speakers, and how they sound in different rooms, I think I have a fairly good idea of which types of rooms accentuate the buzz of a plasma panel.

Any given panel sample might vary from another, then add the acoustics of a room, and the ability of the user to hear, especially the high-frequency sounds, and the result is quite variable results in any given case.

Since you moved the plasma, and had such different results, would you be so kind, as to tell us about the acoustics, of each of those two rooms- flooring, room height, dimensions, % of furniture coverage; (at least approximations, if you would). Thanks.

#758 ·
I just received my pn58c6500 and it's a buzzer to my dismay. I noticed the buzz right out of the gate, as the sound seems to emanate loudest from the perforated heat vents on each upper back corner. I can't believe that some TVs do and some don't buzz as posted in this forum. I know back in the days of CRT tubes I could hear the guns buzzing if I placed my ear close enough to the tube rear or even in front. It's interesting that the buzz is more discernible during mostly black scenes, less so during more white scenes.

My wife and daughters haven't noticed, and won't bring it up just yet. Is it annoying? Give me a few days of viewing and I'll report back.

#759 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdom /forum/post/19643719

Ok, so I bought a Samsung PN58C7000 back in Sept from Amazon, with a build date of April, 2010. Suffered from the directional buzz at center of screen 10' away, like everyone has reported. Kinda bothered me but I thought returning it may get me a worse one.. Anyways fast forward 2 weeks ago, my place was robbed and my TV ended up being destroyed (cracked screen) .. So that one was garbage.. well its in our basement waiting to be thrown out...

So I had to order a new one and since in every aspect I loved the TV, I ordered the same one from Amazon and it just came in today...

I set it up and checked the built date, November 2010... It came with firmware 1030 already! I was surprised!

Anyways, ALMOST ZERO BUZZ!!! The directional buzz is just barely, barely there, I can just hear it if i tilt my head, even volume of 4-5 its gone!!

I am sooo happy!! I am curious if anyone else has a build date of November and hears any buzzing.. I know what I heard before and this set is WAY quieter!!

Just waiting for my insurance check!!

Wow... I think that this is the first account of a person that heard the buzz first, then replaced the TV (unintentional in this case) and has not heard the buzz afterward. Pretty encouraging for people getting replacement sets.

#760 ·
Whats the newest build date for a 50C7000 that people have heard? I may replace my TV later since Amazon extends the return period during holidays to Jan 31st for everything bought after November 1st. I have a May or March build date despite getting it last week, if I hold out until after the xmas rush I might be able to get it exchanged for the newest build.

I wonder if jeffdom still doesnt hear a buzz? He posted the review the day he got it which isnt enough time to know for sure, I know I didnt hear a buzz until later since the buzz only happens every once in awhile.

#761 ·
I was just wondering if anybody has experienced this.... On my 58" C8000 I was watching the A-Team last night on MY Sony S570 Blu and about 32 min into it the panel input shuts off and across the screen was "This TV does not support this screen resolution" and then 5 seconds later it pops right on and the player never skipped a beat. Then just today the same thing happened watching Beauty and the Beast on Blu only no wording across the panel just black for about 3 seconds. This never happened on my old Vizio. Anybody have this issue before?

Just curious.....

#763 ·
OK, the VT25 has dropped in price enough I believe I'll take a chance and buy one. I have a couple of questions for you VT25 owners that switched from the PNC8000.

1. Floating black - is this a problem, is it common like the sammy buzz?

2. Motion issues - some people have claimed sever juddering, any news on this?

Any thing you owners might want to warn me about before preceding would be great, thanks!

Reilly

#765 ·
So after a few days running in Movie mode I have yet to notice the buzz besides in complete silence, and even then its very mild. I sit directly in front of the TV as well, about 7-8' away. If I sit with my eyes facing the TV I cant hear the buzz at all even in silence, I have to turn my head to the side to hear it. My ambient noise is probably a lot higher than a basement though.

Only when the TV switches to the crappy faded out "standard" picture mode does it start to buzz in an annoying way, it only forces standard on me when navigating the media player menus though (anyone know if you can adjust the picture mode for those menus? I know you can change it once you start playing a video).

I cant believe Samsung doesnt use movie mode as the base for all the other settings. What is the point of the other modes when the blacks suck and they make a lot more buzz? Either Samsung is really stupid or they do something better than movie mode that Im not aware of.

I would recommend people not to use CAL-Day/Night and instead calibrate Movie and use that instead.

#766 ·
Well I just got back from the store and they are going to exchange the 2nd one. So this will be my 3rd try. Hopefuly it wont buzz but I have a feeling it will. Then I guess its on to the ugly ass Vt25
The 2nd one buzz far worse then my 1st. So i guess I have the op to go back to that one. Idk im so pissed I want to punch babies.

#767 ·
Our power tripped today, turning off power to my PN50C8000 which doesn't buzz. I have my DVR (HR24-100), TV, & a/v unit on an uninterrupted power supply (CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD 9-Outlet Intelligent LCD UPS 1000VA/600W). The UPS took over as expect, but the TV started buzzing pretty loud. I turned everything off to confirm it was the TV & it was.

Could this point to power being the cause of buzz for many people?

#768 ·
This has been discussed a bit, and the results were inconclusive; though, in any given case, power quality with or w/o a UPS might be a factor. There are different categories of UPS, the vast majority that are bought rarely go to battery, so no effect; but there is a lot more to it.

The reason your TV buzzed on the UPS battery is that it uses a 'simulated sine wave', which is not good for TVs, AVRs, or any A/V electronics; that kind of UPS is designed for PCs. For A/V, one needs a much pricier '(pure) sine wave' UPS.

#769 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/19675737

This has been discussed a bit, and the results were inconclusive; though, in any given case, power quality with or w/o a UPS might be a factor. There are different categories of UPS, the vast majority that are bought rarely go to battery, so no effect; but there is a lot more to it.

The reason your TV buzzed on the UPS battery is that it uses a 'simulated sine wave', which is not good for TVs, AVRs, or any A/V electronics; that kind of UPS is designed for PCs. For A/V, one needs a much pricier '(pure) sine wave' UPS.

I concur with this... I got an APC S15 UPS (pure sine wave) and my PN50C8000 doesn't buzz any more than normal when it shifts to battery power even with the Wii, Blu-Ray player, and receiver hooked up to it. (Vann's is clearancing the S15s for a nice price btw. It is impressive that a Plasma on torch/vivid mode uses 100 more watts than on Movie mode too.)

Prior to the S15, I had a TrippLite Home theater surge protector and during a power surge it caused the TV to make a loud buzz/humm which was different than the normal plasma buzz. (After returning that sucker and getting the S15 I notice that we have a power surge or drop at least twice a day. It kicks to battery power then.)

I have heard TVs buzz when hooked up to a UPS though. Most recently at my inlaws, they have an iMac and it makes a horrible buzz noise when on battery power. (The odd thing is that it is supposed to be a pure sine wave UPS too...) The buzzing sound there is quite different than the plasma panel buzzing also.

#770 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdellar17 /forum/post/19675978

I concur with this... I got an APC S15 UPS (pure sine wave) and my PN50C8000 doesn't buzz any more than normal when it shifts to battery power even with the Wii, Blu-Ray player, and receiver hooked up to it. (Vann's is clearancing the S15s for a nice price btw. It is impressive that a Plasma on torch/vivid mode uses 100 more watts than on Movie mode too.)

Prior to the S15, I had a TrippLite Home theater surge protector and during a power surge it caused the TV to make a loud buzz/humm which was different than the normal plasma buzz. (After returning that sucker and getting the S15 I notice that we have a power surge or drop at least twice a day. It kicks to battery power then.)

I have heard TVs buzz when hooked up to a UPS though. Most recently at my inlaws, they have an iMac and it makes a horrible buzz noise when on battery power. (The odd thing is that it is supposed to be a pure sine wave UPS too...) The buzzing sound there is quite different than the plasma panel buzzing also.

What if the plasma was plugged directly into the wall? My PN58C8000 still buzzes even without a surge protector.

#771 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/19648709

Since you moved the plasma, and had such different results, would you be so kind, as to tell us about the acoustics, of each of those two rooms- flooring, room height, dimensions, % of furniture coverage; (at least approximations, if you would). Thanks.

Sorry, missed this earlier.

Both rooms are about 14-15 ft across. Sit about 9-11 ft away from tv in either one. The room that accentuated the buzz (mancave) is 8 ft high with sloped ceilings front and back. The room that reduced the buzz is 9 ft high and flat ceilings and probably a little more square than the other room.

#772 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmastermushxx /forum/post/19677117

What if the plasma was plugged directly into the wall? My PN58C8000 still buzzes even without a surge protector.

I haven't done an A/B comparison since I've gotten the S15 and 50". (Outlet vs S15.) When I had the 58" I tried this on my old surge protector. The 58" was a loud buzzer plugged into the wall and on the surge protector...

If I get some time I'll do a check on an all white and all black slide. Directly in the wall outlet vs in the S15. I'm pretty sure it won't matter on the TV. I swear my Receiver / Sound seems cleaner thru the S15, but that is hard to quantify.

The 50" still buzzes, just much less than the 58" that I had. (Mostly omni-directional on bright scenes when less than 10 ft away... Very small amount of directional buzz when over 10 ft.)

#773 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 /forum/post/19677474

Sorry, missed this earlier.

Both rooms are about 14-15 ft across. Sit about 9-11 ft away from tv in either one. The room that accentuated the buzz (mancave) is 8 ft high with sloped ceilings front and back. The room that reduced the buzz is 9 ft high and flat ceilings and probably a little more square than the other room.

Thanks. I had also asked about the flooring in each room; that is very important; if you don't mind.

#774 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Void /forum/post/19614259

I find some of the comments about TVs not buzzing interesting. Most people that say theirs doesn't buzz say they can only hear it if they put their head inches from the screen. My 58C6500 buzzes and I can't hear it with my ear to the screen, I hear a slight buzz up close but not the loud annoying buzz.

To hear the loud annoying buzz I have to have my head about level with the center of the screen and about 10 feet or more away from the screen. 2 feet from the screen, head in the same position I can't hear it. I know it may not make sense but the buzz is louder from farther away and very directional.

I've had my TV since September and I'm living with the buzz for several reasons. First it is only annoying if I am in the perfect spot to hear it which I am usually not, and even then I only hear it in quiet scenes. Based on other reports of exchange attempts it sounds like most of the TVs buzz to some extent, I think some people either can't hear it or have the TV positioned where the sound is not heard.

I have the exact same situation and glad to hear others do too. Head right up to the TV I hear nothing. I have to be about five feet away before I hear a buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandea /forum/post/19656820

Wow... I think that this is the first account of a person that heard the buzz first, then replaced the TV (unintentional in this case) and has not heard the buzz afterward. Pretty encouraging for people getting replacement sets.

Until I read this I was convinced that all these TV's buzzed, it's just a matter of whether or not the room's acoustics & viewing position produced the buzz.

But here's someone that has the same model in the same position and the new one doesn't buzz. That's promising.

I'm still reluctant to request an exchange because I could get one that buzzes more, or has some other problem. Ooorrrr... maybe I'll get one with no buzz. I bought mine from Amazon and it has 1027 firmware on it (pretty old) so I assume their stock is older and if I exchange it I'm unlikely to get one with a build date as new as November 2010.

Is there a way to decipher the build date from the stickers on the box, or do you have to read it off the back of the TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZ1 /forum/post/19675737

I have mine plugged into a Monster HTS 2600 mkII , I assume this is not making matters worse for me?

This is slightly off topic but I previously had a DLP and a UPS was recommended for that because sudden power outages were not good for the bulb. I assume that the occasional power outage won't hurt a plasma and I don't need to use a UPS? Power outages where I live are very rare so it won't happen very often.

#776 ·
Ordered a PN58C6500 2 weeks ago and ended up with a buzzer. Today the guys from Amazon brought me my replacement and took the old one away and as soon as I turned on the new one, another buzzer.

It's not super loud but easily heard over normal dialog in TV and movies and extremely grating and it's just something that once you notice it, you can't ever not notice it again.

At this point I'm going to sadly return the Samsung and get a different brand or maybe even not a plasma altogether. The picture was unbelievably great (coming from a 6 year old Samsung 56" DLP) but at over $1700 I can't live with a TV that I don't consider flawless.

If anyone can suggest a good replacement for lots of gaming and some blu-ray use in the over 50" (preferably 54" or bigger) sub $2000 range I would be ever grateful.

#777 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus74
Ordered a PN58C6500 2 weeks ago and ended up with a buzzer. Today the guys from Amazon brought me my replacement and took the old one away and as soon as I turned on the new one, another buzzer.

It's not super loud but easily heard over normal dialog in TV and movies and extremely grating and it's just something that once you notice it, you can't ever not notice it again.

At this point I'm going to sadly return the Samsung and get a different brand or maybe even not a plasma altogether. The picture was unbelievably great (coming from a 6 year old Samsung 56" DLP) but at over $1700 I can't live with a TV that I don't consider flawless.

If anyone can suggest a good replacement for lots of gaming and some blu-ray use in the over 50" (preferably 54" or bigger) sub $2000 range I would be ever grateful.
This post kinda summarized what I saw others doing in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post19639834

Basically they went with a Panasonic VT25 (not sure on the price) or 50" C8000 Samsung... (My 50" Samsung still buzzes, just doesn't bother me since it is way less than my 58" did. Some that had a Samsung also say that there is almost no buzz on their Panasonic replacement...)

I think I've seen one person (maybe two) here who have said they went from a buzzer to non in the same year model and size vs hundreds who swapped and still hear the same buzz... So I agree that you'll not have much luck going the swap till you find a non-buzzer route.

#778 ·
i'm hearing the buzz too...but funny, sometimes it goes away after the set gets warmed up...when i'm calibrating it, i hear it, but i don't hear it with normal video, and tv on mute....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.