2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 994 Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone considering jumping ship to a VT25 would be wise to check out the current BB weekly ad. Page 9.

Make sure they include the BDT107 model, which is the same as the BDT100 but includes the wifi dongle for free. And yes the dongle works on the TV too. The front placement of the USB port on the BDT100 is idiotic.

That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 994 Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegeo View Post

... Thinking about returning the tv and waiting for the 2011's hoping they are 'buzz' free. Anyone have any verification of this?

Rumor has it that the buzz level will be adjustable in the 2011 models by way of a new parameter in the user menu.

Sorry, couldn't resist;-)
post #933 of 994 Old 01-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Got my 58C7000....buzzes like crazy. I can only hear it when I am right in front of it and seated with my eyes centered on the screen. I can lean over just slightly and it seems to disappear. I have a 7.1 home theater and I have to turn it up to over ride it or move over 6" on the couch.

I'm not sure what I am going to do. I might go crazy though not being able to sit where I want. 4 people have been over and they say they can not hear it. It is so obvious to me. It is all I can hear now. Pressing on the rear of the TV in the top right corner seems to change the pitch slightly.

Everything else about the TV is perfect though. In my opinion, it is the best picture of any TV I have seen at this size. The Panasonics look just as good, but the 3D didn't look as good and the styling doesn't compare to the Samsung.

I only have 2 more days to decide what I am going to do. $2000 is a lot for a TV that has this issue.
post #934 of 994 Old 01-30-2011, 04:13 PM

Took a 58c550 home the other day and have the same effect. About 10' away. Carve the screen into quadrants and the noise would be in the bottom left then upper right corner of that quadrant. The noise is isolated to about the size of a basketball. Near the edge of the circle of noise it's a white noise and in the center the sound of a Norelco wrapped with bath towels.

To put the sound level into perspective its drowned by the XBOX or Wii running. If you can't hear the clock ticking 14' away you won't hear that noise. It's this noise. youtube.com/watch?v=fizyUmyLE58

The picture looks awesome and when I get it mounted to the wall the noise will go over my head. I'm very happy with the TV otherwise. I'm still going to give Samsung a call, but I suspect this is normal. It's the same noise as sitting next to a neon sign but very directional. IMO the 50% of people that say they can't hear it aren't looking as intently as the more enthusiastic folks.

My question is: is there any use exchanging or is this totally normal as I suspect? I would hate to get worse set.

Thanks
post #935 of 994 Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM

Replaced my terrible UN55C6300 with a PN58C6400 just 2 days ago. My PN is buzzing like crazy.

MFG Date: Jan 2011
Version: I001

TV is set on a credenza about 35cm from the wall. I can hear the buzz from all angles from about 4m away. Love the PQ, hate the buzz. Not sure if I should try and haggle (and wait) for a 2011 model or not. The store I bought from also sells Panny, but I wanted the web features (and value) that Samsung offers. Great value is drowned out by this buzzing noise, though.

EDIT: Will add that the buzz comes from behind the upper right corner of the screen (so from the top left corner if looking at the rear of the TV). Doesn't change if I press on it--it's an electric buzz not a vibration buzz.
post #936 of 994 Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Just returned my buzzing C6500 to Amazon today. You can buy it for 1350 in the Warehouse Deals section in a couple of weeks ;-)

I couldn't hear the buzz at all. My wife and kids could.
post #937 of 994 Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpauls View Post

Just returned my buzzing C6500 to Amazon today. You can buy it for 1350 in the Warehouse Deals section in a couple of weeks ;-)

I couldn't hear the buzz at all. My wife and kids could.

This is really frustrating, as it is something that not everybody is bothered by. It seems likely that techs and Samsung are going to 'not notice' the noise because that means that WE are the problem. My kitchen is adjacent to my living room... I can have my Wii on, PVR on, 3.5" hard drive spinning, freezer/fridge can be running, and I can hear this damned buzz over everything. It's at a very annoying frequency and tends to bother my ears/head.

I am thinking I am going to try and send this TV back and wait for the 2011 models to arrive. Annoyed because the picture is definitely great for the price paid.
post #938 of 994 Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Well I recently purchased the c490 for 699 shipped to my door. First thing when I turned it on, I noticed this crazy buzz that is so loud I can hear it over my home theater and even when I am in my kitchen. I have submitted a service ticket to samsung about this and they cancelled my request and told me to run a sound test with the volume at 25 and if I cant hear the buzz then it is normal.

My normal listening volume is 12-15.... So I am guessing that their basically telling me to turn it up till I can't hear it. I am hoping that after I call them tonight that they will uncancel my service request and send someone out.

I have noticed that while it does buzz very loudly, it is not as bad on a totally black screen (still way too loud) and that changing the brightness and cell light only seems to change the pitch of the noise. I have my tv sitting about 3 feet away from a wall too and I sit about 10 feet from the tv.

PQ is insane and even better than quite a few led tvs I have seen but the buzz is so bad it makes me actually think about going back to my 100$ junker from wal mart....
post #939 of 994 Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer82 View Post

Well I recently purchased the c490 for 699 shipped to my door. First thing when I turned it on, I noticed this crazy buzz that is so loud I can hear it over my home theater and even when I am in my kitchen. I have submitted a service ticket to samsung about this and they cancelled my request and told me to run a sound test with the volume at 25 and if I cant hear the buzz then it is normal.

My normal listening volume is 12-15.... So I am guessing that their basically telling me to turn it up till I can't hear it. I am hoping that after I call them tonight that they will uncancel my service request and send someone out.

I have noticed that while it does buzz very loudly, it is not as bad on a totally black screen (still way too loud) and that changing the brightness and cell light only seems to change the pitch of the noise. I have my tv sitting about 3 feet away from a wall too and I sit about 10 feet from the tv.

PQ is insane and even better than quite a few led tvs I have seen but the buzz is so bad it makes me actually think about going back to my 100$ junker from wal mart....

I'm thinking Samsung may fix the buzz on future models. It's got to be hurting their reputation.
post #940 of 994 Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshok2002 View Post

This is really frustrating, as it is something that not everybody is bothered by. It seems likely that techs and Samsung are going to 'not notice' the noise because that means that WE are the problem. My kitchen is adjacent to my living room... I can have my Wii on, PVR on, 3.5" hard drive spinning, freezer/fridge can be running, and I can hear this damned buzz over everything. It's at a very annoying frequency and tends to bother my ears/head.

I am thinking I am going to try and send this TV back and wait for the 2011 models to arrive. Annoyed because the picture is definitely great for the price paid.

If your TV buzzes this severely, it is defective. It's that simple.
post #941 of 994 Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer82 View Post

Those basta*ds. You may need a lawyer. Don't accept that BS.
post #942 of 994 Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Rumor has it that the buzz level will be adjustable in the 2011 models by way of a new parameter in the user menu.

Sorry, couldn't resist;-)

Your attempt at humor is appalling and in bad taste, especially to those who have spent good money on these sets.
post #943 of 994 Old 02-04-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwiley View Post

Your attempt at humor is appalling and in bad taste, especially to those who have spent good money on these sets.

I spent good money on this set, then I returned it and got my good money back. Samsung has been buzzing for years, and folks still keep buying them expecting they will somehow beat the odds and theirs will be different. If buzzes bother you don't buy a Samsung.

I couldn't even hear the darn buzz myself due to minor hearing issues, but my neighbors were complaining.

haaaah! There I go again... ;-)

I think it actually helps to laugh a little.

On a serious note: If you're stuck with a Samsung you do not like and can not return it, well that is sad, and I do feel bad for you, but the set does have about the best darn picture I have ever seen on any plasma available today, so there are pluses as well. Maybe this can offer some consolation.
post #944 of 994 Old 02-05-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:

Turning TVs sideways to cope with buzz is ridiculous. Why put up with this?

Still putting up with my C7000 buzzer...why??? because....
1. PQ is pretty amazing. I'm not a plasma fanboy, but I know that i always prefer the natural look of plasma and I've never really seen a LCD/LED that was pleasing to my eyes.

2. my alternatives aren't great.... a) return tv and roll the old Mits RPTV back in from the garage. yuck! b) return and get a Panasonic VT25, but that will be more $$$ c) return and get LCD/LED.

I did go to Magnolia store late the other night trying to find other options and also listen for buzz. They had UN58C8000 LED right next to PN638000 playing the same HD loop. So it was a good way to compare. The LED did look pretty good i must say, although too bright and I never like the 240hz, plus the viewing angle was if-y. But still the Plasma looked better to me. And this PN63C8000 had NO buzz I could detect in front of the screen and the store was pretty quiet near closing time. only faint buzz behind the set.

The PQ on the plasma is what is most important...and I feel I have that. unfortunately it comes with buzz

All that said...I did call Amazon to exchange this set for another PN58C7000...I feel my buzz has to be 9 out of 10 on scale of loudness, can't get louder (I hope). And there are a couple posts of people with buzz that got a seemingly better set after exchange. But I know that is a total crap shoot. the exchange may be no better, but worth a shot.

now what Amazon said is this TV is on backorder for 4-6 weeks. So what I'm hoping is they are out of production cycle and the D7000 comes out and they send me that as replacement. I know a very very long shot!! oh well. will see what happens.
post #945 of 994 Old 02-05-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrizzy View Post

... now what Amazon said is this TV is on backorder for 4-6 weeks. So what I'm hoping is they are out of production cycle and the D7000 comes out and they send me that as replacement. I know a very very long shot!! oh well. will see what happens.

That would be so great! I wish you luck. I too am eagerly awaiting the 2011 Samsungs as there is a possibility, however slight, that they won't buzz this year. I also think Samsung PQ is the best.
post #946 of 994 Old 02-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sheesh, some people need to lighten up a bit...you make it sound like these folks were making an investment or something by purchasing these sets--in the end, it's only a TV. What would you rather he do--scream, rant, b*tch, yell, and/or curse like an immature child? I mean, the guy got a buzzer and chose to return it for a refund...why shouldn't he be able to laugh about it afterward? I'm not saying that the buzzing is absolutely acceptable and/or that nothing should be done about it...but like I said, it's just a TV--there are worse things that are happening in the world that may have way more far-reaching and financially-costly consequences. Why anyone would get offended because someone's making light of a relatively-trivial issue such as a buzzing TV--especially if all he's gonna do about it is complain--is beyond me.

Tony
post #947 of 994 Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneman View Post

Sheesh, some people need to lighten up a bit...you make it sound like these folks were making an investment or something by purchasing these sets--in the end, it's only a TV. What would you rather he do--scream, rant, b*tch, yell, and/or curse like an immature child? I mean, the guy got a buzzer and chose to return it for a refund...why shouldn't he be able to laugh about it afterward? I'm not saying that the buzzing is absolutely acceptable and/or that nothing should be done about it...but like I said, it's just a TV--there are worse things that are happening in the world that may have way more far-reaching and financially-costly consequences. Why anyone would get offended because someone's making light of a relatively-trivial issue such as a buzzing TV--especially if all he's gonna do about it is complain--is beyond me.

Can't believe the level of ignorance and callousness. For most Americans, $3000 is an investment and major sum of money. Obviously, you are one of the "lucky" ones who has more money than sense.
post #948 of 994 Old 02-06-2011, 01:48 PM

THEY DONT ALL BUZZ unfortunately i bought my first PN58C7000 and it HAD the directional buzz then i went to 2 different future shop stores and both there display units PN58C7000 DID NOT BUZZ so i now yesterday got a replacement PN58C7000 AND IT HAS THE EXACT SAME BUZZ AS THE FIRST ONE I GOT?? SO IM EXCHANGING AGAIN AND PRAYING THE NEXT ONE WILL BE LIKE THE ONES THEY HAVE ON DISPLAY AT THE STORES I WENT TOO...

SO THERE ARE UNITS THAT DO NOT BUZZ I GUESS THERE RARE THO!!!!!!!!
post #949 of 994 Old 02-06-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky2222 View Post

THEY DONT ALL BUZZ unfortunately i bought my first PN58C7000 and it HAD the directional buzz then i went to 2 different future shop stores and both there display units PN58C7000 DID NOT BUZZ so i now yesterday got a replacement PN58C7000 AND IT HAS THE EXACT SAME BUZZ AS THE FIRST ONE I GOT?? SO IM EXCHANGING AGAIN AND PRAYING THE NEXT ONE WILL BE LIKE THE ONES THEY HAVE ON DISPLAY AT THE STORES I WENT TOO...

I'm not sure of how well you could hear the buzz in the store unless it was very quiet. When I'm in FS or Best Buy the general din and commotion of customers and the dozens of other displays are all creating a noise level much higher than in the living room. I think it might be hard to hear my TV buzz in a store but it certainly is audible in my home when playing normal volumes. If I turn it up for a movie or something I usually don't hear it (unless there are quiet scenes) but the fact that normal volumes fail to drown the buzz was the deciding factor for me to get rid of this set.
I should be finding out tomorrow what's going to happen for me... fingers crossed!
post #950 of 994 Old 02-06-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky2222 View Post

My guess is that the buzz is characteristic of the design, and not a defect found on only some units. If it does not buzz, it must be just barely not buzzing.

This is a difficult game to play. Even if you do get one that does not buzz at first, suppose it begins buzzing later? My advice is only buy the Samsung if you can live with the buzz.

Well, at least there are two that don't buzz in the store. Can you buy the display model?
post #951 of 994 Old 02-06-2011, 03:52 PM

I have isolated the buzz to coils behind the panel at the 1 o'clock position if looking at the front. There appear to be 3 coils/wires that can be seen through the vents on the back of my 58c7000. Has anyone had a tech identify these to determine if they can be isolated or dampened? I am afraid to open the unit and don't trust the local Samsung repair shop due to a horrible experience w/ my b8000 led.
post #952 of 994 Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewahl View Post
I have isolated the buzz to coils behind the panel at the 1 o'clock position if looking at the front. There appear to be 3 coils/wires that can be seen through the vents on the back of my 58c7000. Has anyone had a tech identify these to determine if they can be isolated or dampened? I am afraid to open the unit and don't trust the local Samsung repair shop due to a horrible experience w/ my b8000 led.
I took the back off a c6500 and listened closely to every part on every board. In addition to the buzz you located, there is even more buzz on the other side (more toroidal coils as well) And all the heat sinks tend to be picking up and amplifying it. I personally pressed on every coil with a soft rubber block to see if I could dampen it and nothing made the slightest difference. In fact, pushing on them sometimes made it louder.
post #953 of 994 Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 AM

IN the store it definetly does NOT buzz i stuck my ear on the screen for crying out loud...... i did not hear a thing

mine at home buzze with the surround sound ON

SHOULD I EXCHANGE FOR STORE DISPLAY EVEN THOUGH ITS BEEN ON EVERYDAY FOR WEEKS????
post #954 of 994 Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:

If it does not buzz, it must be just barely not buzzing.

NO it was VERY HARDLY BUZZING..mine buzzez LIKE CRAZY
mine were both built in november 2010 in good ol mexico
post #955 of 994 Old 02-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can't believe the level of ignorance and callousness. For most Americans, $3000 is an investment and major sum of money. Obviously, you are one of the "lucky" ones who has more money than sense.

LOL--I guess I must be one of the "lucky" ones, as I had enough "sense" to wait long enough so as to not have to pay $3000 for my Samsung plasma. I'll tell you what doesn't make much sense--someone who pays $3000 for a TV, finds out that it buzzes, then even though he had an opportunity to return it for a refund and/or exchange it for a different model/make, chooses to instead just whine about it endlessly...perhaps even to the point where he gets offended when someone else who made the sensible decision to return theirs makes light of it afterwards.

Yes I'd be a bit miffed too if I spent $3000 on a TV and it buzzes...but not miffed to the point that I'd be offended and/or upset if and just because someone made a humorous crack about it.

Tony
post #956 of 994 Old 02-07-2011, 03:14 PM

so i have been through 3 of the c8000 63" and one 65" vt-25 and returned all for low buzing i liked the samsung better and am not sure if i try another if it is a lost cause or do i need to downgrade to a 60" sony lcd. the store manager here feels if i keep trying the c8000 i will eventulay get one that does not buzz but it seems like a waste of my time
post #957 of 994 Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewispspipe View Post

so i have been through 3 of the c8000 63" and one 65" vt-25 and returned all for low buzing i liked the samsung better and am not sure if i try another if it is a lost cause or do i need to downgrade to a 60" sony lcd. the store manager here feels if i keep trying the c8000 i will eventulay get one that does not buzz but it seems like a waste of my time

You could be right about the time wasting.
Run this by your store manager: "How's about you let me hang onto a 63" c8000 and we talk again once your 2011 stock arrives?"

That's basically what my salesguy is doing for me. I've got a lower end set than yours, mind you, but my living room is graced with a PN58C6500 right now and I will not be keeping it. He said to hang onto it as he hopes to have 2011 pricing within 2 weeks and we can talk about arranging a swap (I acknowledged that I'll have to pay more as the new units will not be discounted from Samsung at all) but we'll see what happens.
Samsung says the 2011 stuff doesn't buzz. It's about damned time.
post #958 of 994 Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 PM

They are firm on the 30 day policy but everytime I exchange the time starts over
I guess I can keep returning till the 11's come out. What makes you think the 11's will be better?
post #959 of 994 Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:

they are firm on the 30 day policy but everytime i exchange the time starts over
i guess i can keep returning till the 11's come out. What makes you think the 11's will be better?

i will keep returning mine for years if i have too so i get a quiet one!
post #960 of 994 Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What makes you think the 11's will be better?

Only hope.

Samsung has never admitted any of their sets buzz, so what does it mater if they say the 2011's don't buzz?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page