2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 994 Old 07-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there anyone in here who has returned their buzzing c8000 Samsung plasma on the account of buzzing and got a c8000 that did not buzz? Or had it repaired and fix the buzz?

I used to have the samsung c8000 plasma and returned 2 of the sets due to buzzing. Switched to LCD and just cant handle viewing angle and non uniformity issues so I am coming back to plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 AM

Liked: 10
Just got my 58c8000 this weekend, and it definitely buzzes. For those that can't hear it, If you've ever gone under high voltage power lines at night, can you hear the noise they make? It's pretty much the same noise that comes from these tvs. I am assuming that all these tvs buzz, but some people just can't hear it.
post #183 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite1dmw View Post

Just got my 58c8000 this weekend, and it definitely buzzes. For those that can't hear it, If you've ever gone under high voltage power lines at night, can you hear the noise they make? It's pretty much the same noise that comes from these tvs. I am assuming that all these tvs buzz, but some people just can't hear it.

Does it buzz from your seating position or when your are close?
How far do you sit?
How much tv volume does it take to drown out buzz?
post #184 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Ummm... does that mean that sitting in front of plasma is like sitting under power lines???? This really makes me nervous now.
post #185 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Your assumptions are wrong. I have owned two plasmas that buzzed. I know exactly what it sounds like. I hear NO BUZZ from my 58c8000 im way over 300 hrs now.

Stop weezing the juice!
post #186 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:

I read in another forum that switching "on" scrolling burn protection stops the buzz. This must have something to do with the power supply, but I'm just guessing.

Once you've gone Buttkicker, you can't go back.

post #187 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by javdog View Post

I read in another forum that switching "on" scrolling burn protection stops the buzz. This must have something to do with the power supply, but I'm just guessing.

I bought the C7000 model and can hear a buzz on certain programming when the set is muted, when the volume is on the buzz is gone. For me the buzz is directional (slightly off center).
post #188 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

Does it buzz from your seating position or when your are close?
How far do you sit?
How much tv volume does it take to drown out buzz?

It actually seems louder further away from the tv than it does right next to it. I am sitting about 9 feet away. The sound is very directional, If I sit directly in front of the tv, it's pretty loud. 1 cushion to the left and it's gone. Once you've picked up on the noise it's pretty easy to spot even on heigher volumes.
post #189 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

Ummm... does that mean that sitting in front of plasma is like sitting under power lines???? This really makes me nervous now.

I don't think I'd be nervous, it's just the sound of the power/transformers doing their job. That being said, I think samsung should have insulated it more, or at least directed the sound away from the normal viewing positions.
post #190 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:

I have burn protection on, and it buzzes. I don't think this would matter anyway, because all burn protection is on these tvs is pixel shifting. Basically shifts the whole picture by a pixel or two every once in a while.
post #191 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoballz View Post

I bought the C7000 model and can hear a buzz on certain programming when the set is muted, when the volume is on the buzz is gone. For me the buzz is directional (slightly off center).

Some sets seem to be buzzing more than others, or some people are just more sensitive to it. You are correct though, the buzz is VERY directional.
post #192 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb4 View Post

Your assumptions are wrong. I have owned two plasmas that buzzed. I know exactly what it sounds like. I hear NO BUZZ from my 58c8000 im way over 300 hrs now.

Did they fix your other sets or were they replaced? Were they all the same model tv?
post #193 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:

I have burn protection on, and it buzzes. I don't think this would matter anyway, because all burn protection is on these tvs is pixel shifting. Basically shifts the whole picture by a pixel or two every once in a while.

Hi elite, i meant if u hear buzzing on a program, then turn on the scrolling, then exit back to your program. The switching may help, YMMV.

Once you've gone Buttkicker, you can't go back.

post #194 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Hi elite, i meant if u hear buzzing on a program, then turn on the scrolling, then exit back to your program. The switching may help, YMMV.

Oh I see. I'm sorry I misunderstood. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #195 of 994 Old 07-27-2010, 05:12 PM

very nice display
post #196 of 994 Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I just set up my new pn58c550 and I can hear a minor buzz at no or very low volume.

It is the very same "power line" kind of buzz that some are mentioning - although I do not know yet if it is directional or not.

I can also hear the "buzz" if I put my ear close to the back of the TV.

For me so far, the "buzz" is within reasonable plasma buzz volume.

I have a worry/question - Is is possible that the buzz could get worse with time?

Thank you for this thread!

David in Seattle
post #197 of 994 Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM

I'm new here. Just want to share my experience with this this plasma TV.
I bought it in 05/22/10. After buying it I started reading the reviews. And the complain is the buzzing. Honestly I thought I was lucky 'coz for six weeks I have not heard any buzzing on this tv. But after six weeks i'm hearing buzzing and i'm 12' from the tv. But check this out. Everytime I watch movie (oppo bd player or panny bd player connected to Onkyo receiver) the buzzing is gone. As soon as I switched on the bd player there is no buzzing and will enjoy the movie with no annoying noise. I tried this so many times.

I'm suspecting, maybe the buzzing is caused by how the signal (from tv station) is being transmitted to this tv. Or maybe this TV can not handle the signal. This is just my observation and can not justify whether this is true or not but you can try if this will work for you.

I replaced my Sony 50" lcd with this tv. I like the panny but because of their black issue i decided to try this one.

Just for your info.
post #198 of 994 Old 08-03-2010, 08:12 PM

pn58c6400 I have owned this for 2 months and no buzz at all even close up. Great TV.
post #199 of 994 Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 AM

Just to update, I can confirm that my PN58C550 has a directional buzz from the middle of the screen.

It is not discernible at all when the volume is up (even at very low levels) and overall I am pleased with the TV.

I will keep everyone updated on this thread if anything changes.
post #200 of 994 Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozaut View Post

I'm new here. Just want to share my experience with this this plasma TV.
I bought it in 05/22/10. After buying it I started reading the reviews. And the complain is the buzzing. Honestly I thought I was lucky 'coz for six weeks I have not heard any buzzing on this tv. But after six weeks i'm hearing buzzing and i'm 12' from the tv. But check this out. Everytime I watch movie (oppo bd player or panny bd player connected to Onkyo receiver) the buzzing is gone. As soon as I switched on the bd player there is no buzzing and will enjoy the movie with no annoying noise. I tried this so many times.

I'm suspecting, maybe the buzzing is caused by how the signal (from tv station) is being transmitted to this tv. Or maybe this TV can not handle the signal. This is just my observation and can not justify whether this is true or not but you can try if this will work for you.

I replaced my Sony 50" lcd with this tv. I like the panny but because of their black issue i decided to try this one.

Just for your info.

Do you think it's related to one signal being 1080p and the other 1080i? Maybe when it uses the interpolated signal it has issues?

I gotta try mine later with a blu-ray again but I'm pretty sure it buzzed while watching anything.
post #201 of 994 Old 08-04-2010, 02:23 PM

To BSoares:

I really don't know. But everytime I switch on the bd player the buzz was gone. As I said, i'm really not sure if it's the signal that's causing the problem. Last night, I watched movie again and as soon as I turned on the TV I can hear the buzzing. So I turned on the bd player and the buzzing was gone. I'm sorry If it didn't work for you.
post #202 of 994 Old 08-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just returned my pn50c550 over the weekend because of the Buzz. I ordered a pn50c6500...keeping my fingers crossed. What do you guys think my odds are? Does the manufacture date have corrolation?

Samsung PN60E7000
Sony HT-CT770
Custom HTPC - 3.2GHz/8TB/8GB/HD5670
post #203 of 994 Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 AM

My 2009 Plasma has buzzing during bright white screens however my C7000 is much different in that I can hear no buzzing during any bright scenes but when I have menus open the white text causes audible buzzing. The rest of the time it is silent. Very weird but I can definitely live with that.

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #204 of 994 Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 AM

After I ordered my 50C7000, I was worried about buzzing based on the numerous accounts reported on this forum and elsewhere. I am happy to report that my set does not buzz at all. I can move my head around the entire set a half inch away from the screen and hear nothing. I'm young enough that my hearing is still quite good, so I'm confident my set is not affected. I have racked up about 200 hours and the set is an April 2010 build.
post #205 of 994 Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 AM

I thought I'd grab some data with tools around the house.

I have a PN50C8000. I used a Radio Shack SPL Meter mounted on a tripod, and placed 1 foot from the screen at various screen locations, with different inputs selected, and menus off/on, and various screen material.

First, I can just hear the Plasma at 1-2 feet away. At my seating positions I feel like I can sometimes hear it more noticiebly—with some tinnitus I have, it's hard to tell though. My house background noise—son and daughter not around-- is below the level of detection for the meter ~50dB.

With the Plasma on and warm, the peak sound is from dead center of the Plasma at 56dB. It falls off by 1 dB to either side at the middle pointed directly at the screen. To overcome and mask the sound to 57dB I have to turn the sound to "11" out of 100 from the TV's speakers—"10" puts it at 56dB on the meter. I can reliably hear sound/dialogue at "11" and as low as "2" from my listening positions, but I can't hear buzz with sound off at 3 feet from the plasma. There must be a number of frequencies beyond my detection that the plasma is putting out that the meter can read.

I found no difference in SPL by selecting different sources, menus, display of white/black, patterns, or BluRay on/off as noted above.

I suspect that the heightened sound that people hear from various positions are from an interference pattern either from the plasma as source reflecting off walls, or potentially 2 point sources from the plasma…maybe the peak I hear in the center is a maxima of an interference pattern. Nodes are generally right nearby, and quieter.

Sound falls off by 1/r, so the 57 dB the meter reads at 1 foot is 51dB at 1.5 feet by my meter, and below the level of my meter's detection beyond 2 feet. At 8 feet, 57 dB should fall to 38dB—a difference of 18dB. I can still hear that TV's sound for dialogue at "2"/100, but not the buzz from my sitting position. Check this website out for some great info on sound measurement. sengpieaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm

I don't know whether my Plasma is "normal" or not. First one I've owned. It doesn't bother me—except maybe late at night—but not sure if that's my ears buzzing or the TV. I'm young, my hearing is overall good. My kids aren't bothered by it, but notice it more than I—only when I ask about it. If someone else has an SPL meter for a "Buzzer," I'd sure be interested in what they come up with. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this set again.

I hope this helps someone.
post #206 of 994 Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 AM

^^ My TV buzzes even with it's speakers off so it's not from the speaker but instead from them screen itself. And it's just at the center, if you move left or right, up or down it's gone completely.

But because my TV has no other flaw that some people got, I decided to live with the buzz and just not sit directly in front of it.
post #207 of 994 Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 AM

Bought a PN58C7000 about a month ago. I put on some serious hours on it this past weekend and still no buzz. My previous set, a Toshiba 50" Plasma had a very noticeable buzz with volume off, so I'm not deaf
post #208 of 994 Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM

I have a 50c550... twice now the TV has "buzzed". However it buzzes the same whether the TV is on or off... if I unplugg it, it goes away. The buzz has gone away by itself the other time it happened as well. Any ideas?
post #209 of 994 Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 22
Is there a general consensus of the percentage of the Sammy's that buzz? Specifically the C590?

Where I'm at they have an extremly limited selection of TV's, let alone above 55", let alone Plasma's and only one that does true 24p playback.

They do have a Sammy C590 on display but it buzzes bad. I actually had to tell them to turn down the music and point it out. They knew nothing about
(they often don't know much and I have to learn them something) the issue and forgot about it/tried to cover it up by turning up the music (bose system) again as soon as I walked away.
post #210 of 994 Old 09-07-2010, 06:57 AM

Despite all the buzzing reports - went ahead at Costco and picked up the 58C6400 on Saturday. No buzzing during the initial setup, but definitely heard it the next morning - significantly louder when seated center about 9-12' back - even with everything disconnected and the latest firmware applied.

Called the Costco support line and after the usual troubleshooting steps, Samsung will be sending out a service tech.

I'll post an update in a few days.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page