AVS Forum banner

2010 Samsung Plasma Buzz

159K views 993 replies 345 participants last post by  AvidHiker 
#1 ·
The purpose of this thread is specifically to report whether or not people buying the new 2010 Samsung plasma models are experiencing the dreaded buzz or not.

PNxxC450

PNxxC550

PNxxC6500

PNxxC7000

PNxxC8000

Please report information you have from trusted sources or personal experience with these models as they come out. I had to return my B850 because of buzz. Myself and countless others want to know about these new models. Thank you.

~RomeSC

See less See more
#4 ·
I want (for myself and for others) to have anyone who has experience with the 2010 models to report on whether there is or is not the 2009 plasma buzz issue present.

I guarantee that there are many people who want a dedicated thread where they can find info on 2010 samsung plasma buzz without looking through 100 pages of another thread.

Please keep this thread civil and helpful for everyone. That thread title is the easiest wording to identify the goal of this thread.

Thanks for replies. Keep them coming.

#5 ·
I can report that 2 of the PN50C550 models that I have tried are definitely buzzers. My local store has one left in stock that I will try, and if that one still buzzes then I may wait for a new batch or look into a Panasonic.

This is ridiculous, I can't believe they rolled out the 2010 models with the exact same problem.

On a positive note, the anti-glare filter is MUCH better on this C series than it was on the B series. I can barely make out reflections, whereas the B series was like a mirror.

#7 ·
I think, perhaps, you should define what classifies as abnormal buzzing.

If you can hear the buzz from seating distance OVER the speaker volume then it is abnormal.

If you can only hear it on an all white screen while no sound is being played, that is normal.

If you can hear it while putting your ear to the set, it is normal.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC /forum/post/18249602

The purpose of this thread is specifically to report whether or not people buying the new 2010 Samsung plasma models are experiencing the dreaded buzz or not.

PNxxC450

PNxxC550

PNxxC6500

PNxxC7000

PNxxC8000

Please report information you have from trusted sources or personal experience with these models as they come out. I had to return my B850 because of buzz. Myself and countless others want to know about these new models. Thank you.

~RomeSC

I don't see the 590 listed here. Are you assuming its covered by the 550?

#9 ·
Hello, i'm new here. I thought i'd add to this.

I ordered the PN50C550. Since it's new, most stores dont have it out on display. But after seeing my friends PN58B550 in action, i fell in love with the contrast and sharpness. So i decided to get the NEW c550. Hardly any reviews. I sure hope to god there's no buzz. I never knew about this plasma buzz, till doing alot of research. I was hoping they would fix this with the 2010 models.

I bought it from amazon and waiting for arrival. Bad thing, is i just found a review, i may have missed that a guy said his is buzzing.

Im thinking, wow..if my buzzes, this will suck.

I never heard my friends plasma buzz, or my other friends. I never hear the buzz at the store either. Cud be cuz of the other sounds. But come on. It's passed the refund time too. I guess when I get mine, ill post my review.

It's gotta be better then the B series in every way imo.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitel /forum/post/18293994

I can report that 2 of the PN50C550 models that I have tried are definitely buzzers. My local store has one left in stock that I will try, and if that one still buzzes then I may wait for a new batch or look into a Panasonic.

This is ridiculous, I can't believe they rolled out the 2010 models with the exact same problem.

On a positive note, the anti-glare filter is MUCH better on this C series than it was on the B series. I can barely make out reflections, whereas the B series was like a mirror.

I just saw this post. Please say it's not true!!

I may just cancel my order now and not take the risk and opt for and LED instead. This is apparently rediculous.

#11 ·
Just got my 42c450 today and it is a "buzzer"...HOWEVER, I don't find it nearly as annoying/big of an issue as it seems to be around these forums and with other owners. I have it in a small bedroom and its audible with the tv muted, but with the volume at around 10 I find it a big non-issue...It sounds like a TV-hum or hard-drive hum rather than a loud buzz.

My opinion, to those worried about the noise, I would suggest picking it up to see if it annoys you. The PQ and price of my c450 is more than worth it even if the buzz/hum was twice as loud as it is now.

To add, my hearing is quite good. I'm not an old fart... ;p

#12 ·
question, is this just with samsung? cuz i was looking at LG too.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthead /forum/post/18296470

Does anyone know what exactly is causing the buzz? I'm really hoping it doesnt turn into a epidemic like the 09 series but jezz atleast the higher end models comeon sammy

I think the buzz/hum has to have improved in this years models as my c450 has barely a hum. I can't imagine this many people flipping out over a hum similar to that of my c450.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 /forum/post/18296492

I think the buzz/hum has to have improved in this years models as my c450 has barely a hum. I can't imagine this many people flipping out over a hum similar to that of my c450.

Well from further research. It doesn't appear to be just a hum. I saw youtube videos, it appears to be a loud buzz, like a soft drill sound or ringing. It's pretty annoying if it's as loud as what i've seen.

I went ahead and cancelled my order for the sammy. This seems to be a huge issue with them and it's obvious it was no fixed. I went with another brand and got it in store instead of online. That way, if this one does buzz, i can return it to the store and get another. Done deal. I got a new LG Infinia that just came out a few days ago as well. It's a slim style as well. Looks great and got great reviews already.

*crosses fingers*

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthead /forum/post/18296470

Does anyone know what exactly is causing the buzz? I'm really hoping it doesnt turn into a epidemic like the 09 series but jezz atleast the higher end models comeon sammy

Some believe it is from having one less layer of glass on the Samsungs.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by borcth /forum/post/18296575

Well from further research. It doesn't appear to be just a hum. I saw youtube videos, it appears to be a loud buzz, like a soft drill sound or ringing. It's pretty annoying if it's as loud as what i've seen.

I went ahead and cancelled my order for the sammy. This seems to be a huge issue with them and it's obvious it was no fixed. I went with another brand and got it in store instead of online. That way, if this one does buzz, i can return it to the store and get another. Done deal. I got a new LG Infinia that just came out a few days ago as well. It's a slim style as well. Looks great and got great reviews already.

*crosses fingers*

I haven't checked out youtube for vidz...but if the problem was as loud/severe as you mention, then I think it certainly has improved. My hearing is quite good and I'd consider it a hum or slight buzz. I fiddled with my Cell Light setting on my c450 and it gets even quieter on a setting of 8-10 (default was 5 on 'movie' mode). When its there, its about as quiet as the hum from my little 13" laptop....this leads me to believe it has improved from last years models - my parents were over could not pick out the hum even when I had the TV muted and turned the tv on/off....the TV is also in my bedroom, not the family room.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonus /forum/post/18294520

I think, perhaps, you should define what classifies as abnormal buzzing.

If you can hear the buzz from seating distance OVER the speaker volume then it is abnormal.

If you can only hear it on an all white screen while no sound is being played, that is normal.

If you can hear it while putting your ear to the set, it is normal.

I completely agree with you. My 50C550 would fall into the first category.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas /forum/post/18297264

Except many of the samsungs have two layers of glass and are just as prone to the buzz. And other brands have one layer too without the same level of reported buzz issues.

It does seem to be hit or miss. Any given set may have a major buzzing problem, while others don't. Personally, I would never buy a Sammy online due to the hassle of possibly having to return it.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/18298290

Personally, I would never buy a Sammy online due to the hassle of possibly having to return it.

I agree with you there. I have long preached only buying a Samsung from a place with an ironclad, free and convenient return policy. Most people, like me, end up with great sets. But if you are unlucky, and a statistically meaningful are, then Samsung is absolutely useless and frustrating to deal with and the only logical recourse is to return the product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.