The Official 2010 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread - Page 164 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4891 of 5012 Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently on software update 3.000, as I used D-Nice's settings, which aren't completely compatible with update 3.5. My question:

Is software update 3.720 is completely compatible with D-Nice's settings, unlike update 3.5?

I apologize if this question is a repeat. I scanned the board and didn't notice anything definitive on the subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 5012 Old 09-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Goo

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post

My one-year old G25 suddenly went dark a few days ago. What I mean by that is the image seems overly contrasty, lots of black crushing- anything that was previously dark, yet discernible just turns to pitch black. Horrible, really! No amount of adjusting seems to make any real improvement. I posted a separate post on this, but thought I'd pitch it here as well, in the hope that someone will have some insight. I am at a loss to understand what really happened, and how to go about fixing it. Before this chance, my picture settings were 'perfect' for me- rich, yet nuanced.

Here's my original post...http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1358186

Try adjusting the HDMI RGB range in the picture menu and Black level in Advanced picture settings.

These settings can have an affect on the picture quality in the way you are experiencing.
post #4893 of 5012 Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo View Post

Try adjusting the HDMI RGB range in the picture menu and Black level in Advanced picture settings.

These settings can have an affect on the picture quality in the way you are experiencing.

Hi, Goo, I have the Black Level setting set to Light. I have the HDMI RGB Range set to Auto. I changed it to Standard (16-235) which produced no change. Then I switched to Nonstandard, which gave me a significantly more "washed-out" picture. Can someone give me an explanation what that Nonstandard setting does?

I don't know why the Black Level would suddenly change so suddenly. As I mentioned in my original post, this occured after my son had plugged in one of those Nicktoons Plug-N-Play video games into the VIDEO IN port on the side of the panel and played it for an hour or so. It was one of those low-resolution PAC-MAN type games, with the screen mostly comprised of a light green static image. Is it possible that this forced the TV to make some sort of automatic adjustment? Worse yet, is it possible that the video game did damage to some internal electronics?
post #4894 of 5012 Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
****UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD THESE SETTINGS BE USED WITH ANY OTHER SOURCE MATERIAL BEYOND THE PANEL AGING THUMBDRIVE FILES****

Recommended 100 Hour Panel Aging settings for North American Panasonic TC-PxxS2/G20/G25/VT20/VT25 models (ONLY to be used with Evangelo2's Thumbdrive Files!!!!!!!!)

*****Note: This procedure is designed to equally and evenly age all pixels and ensure the reference settings listed below provide maximum satisfaction. This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used as Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention.*****

Photo Settings

Picture:
Picture Mode: Photo
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Color: 75
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 50
Color Temp: Cool (Cool 2 on G20/25 and VT20/25 displays)
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off
Blur Reduction: Off

Slideshow Settings
Display Interval: Slow
D-Nice and friends,

Is this what I should be using to break in my GT30 or is there something else? I tried a search and it always brings me to this.

Thank you folks for sharing.
post #4895 of 5012 Old 09-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks a bunch mate...I have the TC-P50S2....I'm gonna see how close my settings were to your post...I'll probably go with yours I bet, CHEERS
post #4896 of 5012 Old 09-12-2011, 03:27 PM

I have both the break-in DVD from this site and I have a flash drive. I downloaded and unzipped the images file from this thread. Do I just put the unzipped folder onto a flash drive or do I need to put the images on one at a time? How do you play them on your GT30 via a flash drive?
post #4897 of 5012 Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post

I'm currently on software update 3.000, as I used D-Nice's settings, which aren't completely compatible with update 3.5. My question:

Is software update 3.720 is completely compatible with D-Nice's settings, unlike update 3.5?

I apologize if this question is a repeat. I scanned the board and didn't notice anything definitive on the subject.

Just checking back on this, hoping someone has some input. For those of us that put time into the service menus and D-Nice's settings, it would be a shame to mess them up, as would be the case with update 3.5. Thanks, Dave.
post #4898 of 5012 Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post

Just checking back on this, hoping someone has some input. For those of us that put time into the service menus and D-Nice's settings, it would be a shame to mess them up, as would be the case with update 3.5. Thanks, Dave.

Wondering the same thing. I downloaded the update a couple nights ago. I'd also like to get D-Nice to do an "in person" cal, but not if Panny's updates continually screw it up. How can a software update screw up the calibration settings???
post #4899 of 5012 Old 09-17-2011, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks to all of you. Here is my first calibration attempt with my new TX-N809, and Panny 42G25

Panasonic
Picture Mode: THX
Contrast: +60
Brightness: +58
Color: +45
Tint: +5
Sharpness: +18
Color Temp: Warm1
Black Level: Light

Onkyo
Brightness: +24
Red Brightness: -5
Green Brightness: -4
Blue Brightness: 0
Red Contrast: -1
Green Contrast: 0
Blue Contrast: -4

42G25_9_17_2011.PDF 194.4619140625k . file
post #4900 of 5012 Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 PM

Hi everyone. Like to say thanks to dnice and all the others who've provided valuable information regarding the calibration settings. I ended up doing the 100 hours breakin period with the slides for my TC-P54VT25. Applied the UM settings and the SM settings without any problems.

I've managed to make it to page 125 after a week and half of reading so forgive me for not checking the last 40 pages or so but I don't recall seeing any mention of this problem or if it was mentioned then I don't recall the recommended solutions. I have my HTPC hooked up and it's running Windows 7 Media Center. The computer is plugged into my Denon receiver via HDMI and then HDMI out to the TV. The issue I'm having is that there is a constant 1" border around the left and right and a half inch border on the top and bottom of the picture.

I've set the resolution to 1920x1080 so I would have thought that the picture would fill the whole screen. This does not happen with my Rogers PVR or my PS3 or OTA. The only way to fill the whole screen is to change the HD size to "size 1" so that it shows 95% of the picture. The reason I'm not too happy doing this is because I was hoping for a 1 to 1 pixel mapping.

So my questions are: 1) is this normal for an HTPC connection and 2) is there any setting I can change in Windows 7 that will stretch out the image more?

Thanks and if this has been mentioned and addressed in one of the other threads (which I have not had a just to read yet) please let me know.

LoboTiger

LoboTiger
post #4901 of 5012 Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboTiger View Post

Hi everyone. Like to say thanks to dnice and all the others who've provided valuable information regarding the calibration settings. I ended up doing the 100 hours breakin period with the slides for my TC-P54VT25. Applied the UM settings and the SM settings without any problems.

I've managed to make it to page 125 after a week and half of reading so forgive me for not checking the last 40 pages or so but I don't recall seeing any mention of this problem or if it was mentioned then I don't recall the recommended solutions. I have my HTPC hooked up and it's running Windows 7 Media Center. The computer is plugged into my Denon receiver via HDMI and then HDMI out to the TV. The issue I'm having is that there is a constant 1" border around the left and right and a half inch border on the top and bottom of the picture.

I've set the resolution to 1920x1080 so I would have thought that the picture would fill the whole screen. This does not happen with my Rogers PVR or my PS3 or OTA. The only way to fill the whole screen is to change the HD size to "size 1" so that it shows 95% of the picture. The reason I'm not too happy doing this is because I was hoping for a 1 to 1 pixel mapping.

So my questions are: 1) is this normal for an HTPC connection and 2) is there any setting I can change in Windows 7 that will stretch out the image more?

Thanks and if this has been mentioned and addressed in one of the other threads (which I have not had a just to read yet) please let me know.

LoboTiger

There should be an overscan or underscan option in windows, both should be set to 0 percent. I have a computer with an ATI graphics card that has this option. This fixed the same problem for me.
post #4902 of 5012 Old 09-24-2011, 11:39 AM

Thanks Goo. I found a similar option for horizontal and vertical and maxed them out to 100% and that seemed to fill out the whole screen. This is on the Intel chipset found on the i3 CPU. Thanks for the tip!

LoboTiger

LoboTiger
post #4903 of 5012 Old 09-28-2011, 04:29 PM

Is there a way to get brighter white reproduction on my 65VT25? The screen that really jumps out at me is the opening screen shot when you start NCAA Football on my PS3...an all white screen with the EA logo. The white seems to have a very slight grayish tinge to it. Its just not that really crisp white that we are all accustomed to...particularly for a set this expensive.

I have tried my own Custom settings using the Disney WOW calibration DVD and have done all the software/firmware upgrades from Panasonic (believe the latest is 3.75). The Disney TV refers to it as "T-shirt white" and I just can't seem to get there.

I still have D-Nice's offsets in for the Warm temperature settings, but I've currently got mine set to Normal in an attempt to get a bit more "pop" out of the picture and liven up the whites somewhat...this doesn't appear to be helping.

Can someone please help me out with what appears to be, in my opinion, this dull white issue I'm having? Thanks.

Matt
post #4904 of 5012 Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Hi Lobo,

Its >this<</a> whats happening to you?

I quit my efforts to solve this issue. I think is the TV. I have a 54G20.

If you solved it, please let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboTiger View Post

LoboTiger

post #4905 of 5012 Old 09-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514 View Post

Is there a way to get brighter white reproduction on my 65VT25? The screen that really jumps out at me is the opening screen shot when you start NCAA Football on my PS3...an all white screen with the EA logo. The white seems to have a very slight grayish tinge to it. Its just not that really crisp white that we are all accustomed to...particularly for a set this expensive.

I have tried my own Custom settings using the Disney WOW calibration DVD and have done all the software/firmware upgrades from Panasonic (believe the latest is 3.75). The Disney TV refers to it as "T-shirt white" and I just can't seem to get there.

I still have D-Nice's offsets in for the Warm temperature settings, but I've currently got mine set to Normal in an attempt to get a bit more "pop" out of the picture and liven up the whites somewhat...this doesn't appear to be helping.

Can someone please help me out with what appears to be, in my opinion, this dull white issue I'm having? Thanks.

Matt

I don't have a calibrated set, I found the whites on my G25 a bit dim/dull in Viera Cast.

Setting the color temperature to warm 1 or neutral seemed to make the whites have the effect I was looking for.

Increasing the contrast should increase the brightness of the whites, but it can have some negative effects on the overall image quality like losing details.
post #4906 of 5012 Old 09-30-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

Matt

Professional calibration is the answer Its worth the investment trust me.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #4907 of 5012 Old 10-05-2011, 04:04 PM

If the firmware update (I believe the current version I downloaded was ver. 3.75) is not compatible with D-Nice's offsets/settings...what is everyone doing?

How does this make any sense? For those that paid for a professional calibration...do you have to get the set re-calibrated every time there is an upgrade available and downloaded?

D-Nice...any advice here? Thanks.

Matt
post #4908 of 5012 Old 10-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My understanding is that any automatic updates are Ok with Dnice's settings.

only the 3.5, which could only be done manually by downloading it on Panny,s website and not automatically, was never recognized as compatible with the settings.

The latest update doesn't change anything to the video settings, it only refreshes the Viera Connect/tools features.
post #4909 of 5012 Old 10-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
On another subject, it's been a few months I've been trying to figure my issue out. I haven't had any luck.

I have a hard time describing the issue, but I'll try my luck again in case anyone can help.

Best way to describe it is, when for example a news anchor wears a tie or shirt with lines, let's say a white shirt with purple lines, the lines are "blurry". It's like the lines are rapidly skipping up and down and creating a motion blur or something. Not really a motion blur as we usually know it, just really as if the image is quickly going up and down one line on the display, creating a visual effect like the line is shaking up and down. I thought it could be caused by the upscalling from 1080i to 1080p but, I hardly think so?

This could also be source-related. But I've noticed the issue both with my STB and with OTA broadcasts. I haven't really had a chance to test with BD content as I haven't found a movie yet where someone wears such clothing lol.

Hoping someone will at least understand what issue I'm trying to describe and perhaps offer some hints for a solution. It drives me nuts every time I see it.
post #4910 of 5012 Old 10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the firmware update (I believe the current version I downloaded was ver. 3.75) is not compatible with D-Nice's offsets/settings...what is everyone doing?

How does this make any sense? For those that paid for a professional calibration...do you have to get the set re-calibrated every time there is an upgrade available and downloaded?

D-Nice...any advice here? Thanks.

Matt

Matt:

I had my GT25 professionally calibrated and the latest firmware 3.72 did not impact the service menu or other user settings what so ever.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #4911 of 5012 Old 10-06-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Matt:

I had my GT25 professionally calibrated and the latest firmware 3.72 did not impact the service menu or other user settings what so ever.

Who did your calibration and what did it cost you? Sure would be nice to have Best Buy do it since I just got a $225 gift card to Best Buy, but I've read the horror stories about their Geek Squad. They are, however, listed on the ISF website as qualified calibrators here in B'ham and allegedly there is one guy here in B'ham that is really good...not sure I want to roll the dice with them though.
post #4912 of 5012 Old 10-06-2011, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The Best Buy calibrators are trained by one person that went to a ISF training so it depends who you get and how much he/or she learned if you were going to go with them ask for a ISF certificate, if they do not have one then walk away better yet ask for that person and tell them that you need to see the certificate when they get to your home, the last price that I was quoted was $150 for no more then 1 hour 45 minutes of work, again this is my opinion.

Ralph
post #4913 of 5012 Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM

A pro can do the job in 2 hrs or less from prep to break down..and I mean a certified pro... I doubt any of bestbuys geek boys can calibrate a 2 or for that matter a 10 point grey scale on a panasonic in 2 hrs or less.. toss in an HDTV with an advanced CMS and I really don't think they are capable @ 1 1/2 hrs . Anyone that thinks they cannot/willnot invest money and time to learn to calibrate their own set and is considering a calibration that intense should contact ISF directly and have them point you to the right person in 'ure particular residential area!
post #4914 of 5012 Old 10-07-2011, 11:40 AM

One more thing IDE like to add.. I was in a best buy not too long ago and for kicks I got one of those guys from the "magnolia show room" and asked them if the x3 had a 2 point or a 10 point grey scale for adjustment (knowing what the correct answer already was)..he looked at me with this "deer in a headlights" expression and called over a geek dork who then proceeded to say "oh yea look here you see" he grabs the remote hits menu and proceeds to explain that they will make the tv look at it's tip top shape by dialing in the "contrast" "brightness" "color" etc etc..and I'm like no no to adjust the greyscale is it 2 point or 10..he's like "uh yea you see that's what we do and goes back into his shpeel about how they will make those picture settings look wowawoowee! I was in shock laughed internally and high tailed it outa there..lol I'm not saying all of them don't know anything but I imagine those that do know anything at all are far a few between..
post #4915 of 5012 Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Chad_B did mine, price was $375 and he did an amazing job. Spent over 3 and half hours on my set and would have spent more if I wasnt completely satisfied.

65VT60
55ST60
Calman Enthusiast
post #4916 of 5012 Old 10-08-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Chad_B did mine, price was $375 and he did an amazing job. Spent over 3 and half hours on my set and would have spent more if I wasnt completely satisfied.

But what exactly did this Chad b do? Do you have any calibration reports to post so we could see chads end results?
post #4917 of 5012 Old 10-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Hi all. I apologize for what may sound like a super-noob question, but I want to be sure about something. When D-Nice says for example that R-DRV should have an offset of "-1", does he mean that

A) The parameter should be set to equal -1 (in other words it will say "-1" next to the parameter as that parameters level, like the way Tint will say -1)
or
B) I should click once in the negative direction for that parameter. (So if it was, say, 10 before, now it should say 9. Maybe these parameters don't work in a linear numeric like that (not sure), but I think you understand what I mean)

I looked at some of these Service menu values and they say things like "7B", so they don't seem to follow normal 0-10 or 0-100 values but maybe I'm missing something. Any further explanation would be greatly appreciated. I am an experienced director for broadcast HD, but monitor calibration is new to me (although it probably is based on the same core principles of color vectors and gamma and so on).

Thank you all for your time, and this wonderful forum.
post #4918 of 5012 Old 10-14-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

We have a winner.... "B" is the key!!

PS: they use hexadecimal notation, not decimal: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F.

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #4919 of 5012 Old 10-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post

We have a winner.... "B" is the key!!

PS: they use hexadecimal notation, not decimal: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F.

Thanks man - much appreciated. So when (just to be sure because I don't want to mess up) D-Nice says "I suggest an offset of this value of +3" and the original value is 2, he is suggesting I set it to equal 5?
post #4920 of 5012 Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

you've got it...

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version