AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEESEL View Post

Have I missed anything?

Nothing worth searching for seems to be missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4952 of 5012 Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TC-P42G25

I have ran the break in slides for nearly 100 hours and have plugged in the service menu offsets and applied the THX settings.

Two questions. What does the WB Method 00/03 do? I did not notice that and did not do anything to change it. Should I reset the SM offsets back to default, and then reapply after changing the WB Method from 03 to 00, or can I just change it to 00 and be done with it?

Also I did the service menu offsets when my Directv box was displaying a 720p signal, I believe that shouldn't be a problem since the TV will then change that to a 1080i signal, correct?

Thanks!
post #4953 of 5012 Old 01-12-2012, 11:48 AM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I've a 50" S2 for over a year now and I love it.

However, about a week or two ago, I noticed while watching football on Fox that the score graphic in the upper left was cut off so i could only see half of it. I then noticed the same thing on ESPN on their bottom ticker. It looks cut off on the left and right side. Then last night I was watching something on the SyFy channel and noticed the logo on the bottom right was cut off.

I don't know if somehow the settings changed on my TV, but I can't figure out how to fix it.

The TV is currently set to Full and HD Size 2. Changing these options to Zoom or Just or H-Fill doesn't help and makes it worse in most cases.

Am I missing something? Does have anything to do with my cable box? I have a Cablevision HD box.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
post #4954 of 5012 Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 PM

I really hope someone can help me with this. So far I haven't gotten a real answer out of anyone. Whenever my G25 tries to display dark greys (but not full black) I get bad dithering, as well as an even more annoying red/blue striped line along the bottom of the screen.

Other than that I love the picture on it. But those lines almost kill it for me.
LL
post #4955 of 5012 Old 01-13-2012, 12:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter X View Post

I really hope someone can help me with this. So far I haven't gotten a real answer out of anyone. Whenever my G25 tries to display dark greys (but not full black) I get bad dithering, as well as an even more annoying red/blue striped line along the bottom of the screen.

How far from the screen are you? What are your contrast and brightness settings? What picture mode are you using? What source material are you watching?
post #4956 of 5012 Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 AM

That'll happen with any source material or input. I can see it all the way from where I'm sitting. Any setting. Someone posted a similar pic a while back and said it involved a bad board in the TV itself. I just want to know which and if I can replace it.
post #4957 of 5012 Old 01-13-2012, 05:37 AM

Just got my VT30 a few days ago and running slides but I'm seeing several areas that looks greenish on the gray slides. Is this normal or is this the dreaded green blobs? While running slides and looking down at the screen, I can see a lighter horizontal inch strip running across near the center of the screen. Is this normal? I don't see it when sitting at a regular viewing position.

Also, how does one identify dithering?

Many Thanks
post #4958 of 5012 Old 01-13-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Other than that I love the picture on it. But those lines almost kill it for me.

You need to call and show that to panasonic
post #4959 of 5012 Old 01-14-2012, 12:26 AM

As much as I'd love to it only had a one year warranty. And it went out last September. I could imagine how much they charge.
post #4960 of 5012 Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:

As much as I'd love to it only had a one year warranty. And it went out last September. I could imagine how much they charge.

Still might be cheaper than buying a new one...
post #4961 of 5012 Old 01-14-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

When you have the condition, try increasing your brightness setting until it goes away. That will be the upper limit. You can also decrease the brightness setting until it goes away. That is the lower limit. It worked for me on my ST30 which has the exact same problem. My set will not tolerate a brightness setting between 53 and 58. I don't know the reason, maybe a bad panel but I can live with the adjustment. The PQ is still excellent with the settings to eliminate the dithering. Hope it works for you.
post #4962 of 5012 Old 01-27-2012, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have been using Dnice's settings for over a year, including the SM offsets, and have been very happy with it.
Alas, it got to my attention that someone I knew has the DVE hd basics BD. I borrowed it. Here I am.

Few questions/concerns:
When I set the brightness using the Pluge, should I stop just after the 2% over black bar shows activity on the screen from up close, or from viewing distance? Or should it be when I actually see the bar? Activity vs actually seeing a bar is subjective, and is definately not the same setting. When I stop as soon as I start seeing small dots activating from up close, it gives me a 47 brightness setting in THX mode. So, just a tad higher than Dnice settings.

The biggest concern I have, though, is adjusting the color. I used the provided blue/red/green screens, adjusted the blue one first as per the instructions, and got it pretty close to uniform, which was at the 49 setting, I tried a few different TINT settings, but in the end went back to the original -1. But, then I checked the red and green filters and the black bars were not correct. I played a lot with the color, tint, and even contrast but can never get all 3 colors to a match or at least close match.

I tried searching for a DVE discussion in the calibration specific forum but didn't find anything, oddly.

Since I only have my eyes to go by, is there anything realistically try, or am I SOL? I mean, I WAS satisfied with the current settings, but I couldn't say no to a calibration Bluray. I always thought I'd eventually get a pro calibration, but we don't get many visits from the pro calibrators up here and I don't have the perfect room/setup yet.

TV is a 50VT25.
post #4963 of 5012 Old 02-05-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxheaven View Post

I have been using Dnice's settings for over a year, including the SM offsets, and have been very happy with it.
Alas, it got to my attention that someone I knew has the DVE hd basics BD. I borrowed it. Here I am.

Few questions/concerns:
When I set the brightness using the Pluge, should I stop just after the 2% over black bar shows activity on the screen from up close, or from viewing distance? Or should it be when I actually see the bar? Activity vs actually seeing a bar is subjective, and is definately not the same setting. When I stop as soon as I start seeing small dots activating from up close, it gives me a 47 brightness setting in THX mode. So, just a tad higher than Dnice settings.

The biggest concern I have, though, is adjusting the color. I used the provided blue/red/green screens, adjusted the blue one first as per the instructions, and got it pretty close to uniform, which was at the 49 setting, I tried a few different TINT settings, but in the end went back to the original -1. But, then I checked the red and green filters and the black bars were not correct. I played a lot with the color, tint, and even contrast but can never get all 3 colors to a match or at least close match.

I tried searching for a DVE discussion in the calibration specific forum but didn't find anything, oddly.

Since I only have my eyes to go by, is there anything realistically try, or am I SOL? I mean, I WAS satisfied with the current settings, but I couldn't say no to a calibration Bluray. I always thought I'd eventually get a pro calibration, but we don't get many visits from the pro calibrators up here and I don't have the perfect room/setup yet.

TV is a 50VT25.

The Digital Video Essentials HD Basics tells you to increase brightness sitting in your normal TV watching position untill the 2% pluge is just seen. Also the color is correct when using the blue portion of the color filter all areas are the same shade of blue when adjusting the color setting.

I used Dnice's THX settings until recently. What I use now is the following: Picture mode THX, Contrast 66, Brightness 52, Color 47, Tint 0, Sharpness 10, Color temp Warm 2, Color management Off, C.A.T.S. On, Video NR Off, Blur reduction On.

Regarding C.A.T.S. it works like Panasonic says it will and using it I do not need a THX mode for night and a Custom mode for day time. Just one mode THX for all day. Panasonic says the following about C.A.T.S. : C.A.T.S. (Contrast Automatic Tracking System) -- Autmatically senses the ambient light conditions and adjusts the brightness and gradation accordingly. Provides the best possible picture contrast for each operating environment. This feature also helps reduce power consumption and minimize phosphor ading.
post #4964 of 5012 Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambercat View Post

The Digital Video Essentials HD Basics tells you to increase brightness sitting in your normal TV watching position untill the 2% pluge is just seen. Also the color is correct when using the blue portion of the color filter all areas are the same shade of blue when adjusting the color setting.

I used Dnice's THX settings until recently. What I use now is the following: Picture mode THX, Contrast 66, Brightness 52, Color 47, Tint 0, Sharpness 10, Color temp Warm 2, Color management Off, C.A.T.S. On, Video NR Off, Blur reduction On.

Regarding C.A.T.S. it works like Panasonic says it will and using it I do not need a THX mode for night and a Custom mode for day time. Just one mode THX for all day. Panasonic says the following about C.A.T.S. : C.A.T.S. (Contrast Automatic Tracking System) -- Autmatically senses the ambient light conditions and adjusts the brightness and gradation accordingly. Provides the best possible picture contrast for each operating environment. This feature also helps reduce power consumption and minimize phosphor ading.

Interesting, thanks for this
post #4965 of 5012 Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockman4357 View Post

So, can I safely do a firmware update on my TCP65S2 without screwing things up since I have utilized the DNice settings? How many firmware updates have there been and have they provided any substantive changes? I love my picture post DNice settings and definitely don't want to screw anything up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post

yes, After a black rise
I can say on the VT series, no noticeable changes. I have all the updates installed
and did not see any
changes.

Does "no noticeable changes" mean just to your naked eye while watching whatever you watch, or have you measured to know that the newer firmware updates don't change the way that colors are reproduced or anything else that would affect the integrity of the offsets? I stopped updating once the Cameron settings were released, but now I really want to to get some of the more recent viera-cast content.

Sorry if I worded this incorrectly, but everyone on here has different experience levels with this stuff and if we can't get answers from DNice, I just want to be sure that the answers we are getting are from users qualified to make them (again, please don't take that as a slight, it's just that I'm not familiar with your experience.)
post #4966 of 5012 Old 02-29-2012, 02:17 PM

yes can any one answer if the firmware updates changes DNice settings? I have a 54g25
post #4967 of 5012 Old 03-16-2012, 05:05 PM

I finally got my G25 calibrated. Should have done it 18 months ago when I bought it. The calibrator made his corrections in the CINEMA/THX mode and WARM color temp. But, I really do all my viewing in CUSTOM. So, I guess I am wondering if I have the optimal calibration if CUSTOM picture mode is what I will be using. I believe the offset corrections would carry over to CUSTOM, but would those corrections have been different if the work was done in CUSTOM mode?
post #4968 of 5012 Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 PM

Was watching ncca basketball tonight, first time I have ever seen this,
But there was a slight shutter or slow down where the player would look like he would go in slow motion,
Turned motion on, but did not fix.
Weird, but the later game did not do it,
I was wondering if might of been the feed on TNT or the tv,
Anyone else seen this
60 st July build, but has never firmware
Tx
post #4969 of 5012 Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonriggen View Post

Was watching ncca basketball tonight, first time I have ever seen this,
But there was a slight shutter or slow down where the player would look like he would go in slow motion,
Turned motion on, but did not fix.
Weird, but the later game did not do it,
I was wondering if might of been the feed on TNT or the tv,
Anyone else seen this
60 st July build, but has never firmware
Tx

That is almost certainly the source. I've noticed quite a few "glitches" watching the games this year.
post #4970 of 5012 Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumur View Post

I finally got my G25 calibrated. Should have done it 18 months ago when I bought it. The calibrator made his corrections in the CINEMA/THX mode and WARM color temp. But, I really do all my viewing in CUSTOM. So, I guess I am wondering if I have the optimal calibration if CUSTOM picture mode is what I will be using. I believe the offset corrections would carry over to CUSTOM, but would those corrections have been different if the work was done in CUSTOM mode?

The optimal picture will be displayed only when using the mode the calibrater corrected. You may get some benefit from using the same warm setting the calibrater used, but everything else will be off. Not much carries over from thx to custom.
post #4971 of 5012 Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 PM

Hello, sorry to jump in bluntly but...

I've had my tv since early 2010 should I still run the 100 break in? I know I have much much more time put into it than that. Just asking don't chew me out... lol

Also im currenlty using cnets dark room settings on thnx... how does yours compare? I have a 42' g25.

Also will using the service menu void my warranty? I still have 3 years left.

If I do do it can I revert back for whatever reason?
post #4972 of 5012 Old 04-01-2012, 06:31 AM

Anyone?
post #4973 of 5012 Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced_Fool View Post

Hello, sorry to jump in bluntly but...

I've had my tv since early 2010 should I still run the 100 break in? I know I have much much more time put into it than that. Just asking don't chew me out... lol

Also im currenlty using cnets dark room settings on thnx... how does yours compare? I have a 42' g25.

Also will using the service menu void my warranty? I still have 3 years left.

If I do do it can I revert back for whatever reason?

There's no point in running a break-in at this point, there's really not a need to do it when your unit is new either so your plasma didn't suffer for not having done it. Some people just like to age the phosphors a little faster but I've never felt it was necessary. I have two beautiful Panasonic plasmas from 2006 and 2009 and was careful with them the first hundred hours but never did any break-in slides or picture.

If you go into the service menu be very careful and note everything you do because if you screw it up there is no way to restore default settings unless you can find someone with the same TV that will go in and check their own and communicate the settings to you. I'm not sure if it voids the warranty or not but it would be easy enough to check with the manufacturer and/or the company you got your warranty from.

I don't have the same TV as you so I can't help you with settings but you can get a calibration Blu-ray or DVD to help in this regard.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #4974 of 5012 Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 AM

Yea I wrote everything down just in case I want to revert back. Also I really didn't see a difference bewteen my setting and d-nice's ... the setting were very similar except the sharpness was 0 instead of 10... and minute differences in the service menu. And what you mean I can't get back to default? I have all the specs from before written down...
post #4975 of 5012 Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

Yea I wrote everything down just in case I want to revert back. Also I really didn't see a difference bewteen my setting and d-nice's ... the setting were very similar except the sharpness was 0 instead of 10... and minute differences in the service menu. And what you mean I can't get back to default? I have all the specs from before written down...

I meant that there isn't a way to automatically reset the service menu back to the factory settings. You wrote everything down so you won't have a problem since you know what to restore the values to if necessary.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #4976 of 5012 Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM

Lol gotcha thnx. Any recommended calibration discs out there worth the time?
post #4977 of 5012 Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:

Lol gotcha thnx. Any recommended calibration discs out there worth the time?

Spears a munsil calibration hd calibration disc is good..if you are attempting a grey scale calibration with your own colorimeter then i would pick up Joe Kane, HD Basics..which has all the patterns needed to run such a calibration..if your just gonna pass Dnice's setting to your tv then just do that and be done with it, and maybe tweak your presets with spears and munsil..
post #4978 of 5012 Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM

OK, I am a very big noob when it comes to this and Ive ben searching for this answer and never seem to find it so Im finally going to post.... how the heck do I access the service menu for the TC-P50S2 ? I look at D-Nics's setting in that first post but all it does is default to the Cinema settings that are all ready set. But the service settings I don't know how to access to change them...is that what makes the difference? BTW - I ve had this unit for years so I know Im wayyyyy past the break in time. please help me
post #4979 of 5012 Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Okay does the g25 have a blue filter to calibrate color? I can't seem to find it?
post #4980 of 5012 Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Okay does the g25 have a blue filter to calibrate color? I can't seem to find it?

Nope.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page