post #721 of 5012 Old 06-28-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

If you are viewing a B/W movie on cable or satellite, you have no way of knowing that the broadcast has the color flag off. Turn down the color control to minimum.

Larry

No I mean, if viewing a grayscale pattern, is it ok if I see greenish or reddish tint with color control turned up, even though it is calibrated to 6500K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5012 Old 06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

No I mean, if viewing a grayscale pattern, is it ok if I see greenish or reddish tint with color control turned up, even though it is calibrated to 6500K?

No.

Larry
post #723 of 5012 Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No.

Larry

How about alternating greenish/reddish bands along the grayscale pattern that don't change at all with color at 0 or maximum D:?
post #724 of 5012 Old 06-28-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

How about alternating greenish/reddish bands along the grayscale pattern that don't change at all with color at 0 or maximum D:?

That's due to the non-linearity of the grayscale controls (cuts and drvs.) With much patience and a good bit of experience, these slight deviations can be minimized.

Under normal viewing conditions if delta E is below 3, these are unimportant and not apparent to the typical viewer.

Larry
post #725 of 5012 Old 06-28-2010, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's due to the non-linearity of the grayscale controls (cuts and drvs.) With much patience and a good bit of experience, these slight deviations can be minimized.

Under normal viewing conditions if delta E is below 3, these are unimportant and not apparent to the typical viewer.

Larry

Oh ok cool you are awesome thanks for putting my mind at ease
post #726 of 5012 Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Hi...
I know most of you are calibrating the fancier more expensive sets. I just got a TC-P42C2 for my bedroom and have done the break in slides. I can't find any settings for this model specifically. If someone can point me in that direction, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
post #727 of 5012 Old 06-29-2010, 05:18 PM

Liked: 10
Larry, thanks for the link. That enabled me to understand the service menu better. One more question, I am a little confused about the picture mode and the HD vs. SD configuration.

So, on the TV, I can set it as THX, or Custom, or Game etc. Then on the service menu I also have a setting for "adjust". The reference settings is for "THX" but there is only custom, vivid, standard and cinema to adjust on the service menu.

Next, i have a HD signal, then a SD signal. So, do I actually need to plug in a SD signal (can it be HDMI being broadcast in SD through my cable box)?
post #728 of 5012 Old 06-29-2010, 05:45 PM
PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC. View Post

Thanks!

I ordered 2 4' high speed, gold plated cables today. One for the PS3 → receiver and one for receiver → TV. If that doesn't fix it then I think we can rule out cable quality issues.

Good luck. I'll keep you updated with my progress.

New cables did not fix the issue. There is a new firmware out for my receiver, but not sure I can install it as it requires a CD player with coax or optical connection, which nobody I know has.

I'll eventually get around to upgrading the firmware (which has some video fixes), but I've got a feeling I'll need to bypass (or upgrade) the receiver to fix this. Bummer...
post #729 of 5012 Old 06-29-2010, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_average_joe View Post

Larry, thanks for the link. That enabled me to understand the service menu better. One more question, I am a little confused about the picture mode and the HD vs. SD configuration.

So, on the TV, I can set it as THX, or Custom, or Game etc. Then on the service menu I also have a setting for "adjust". The reference settings is for "THX" but there is only custom, vivid, standard and cinema to adjust on the service menu.

Next, i have a HD signal, then a SD signal. So, do I actually need to plug in a SD signal (can it be HDMI being broadcast in SD through my cable box)?

The picture mode is not what is adjusted by the cuts and drvs. It's the color temperature that is changed. I don't have THX but it has to be a Warm temperature that is adjusted. D-Nice uses warm2 for his reference calibration in post #3 for the G20/25.

You certainly can use the STB to change from HD to SD. In fact, if you are in the service menu and change the resolution of the signal from the box, you'll see the notation change on the WB-ADJ page.

Larry
post #730 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

That's where it get's tricky without test equipment... if you are tending towards pink/purple you could either add green or subtract red/blue... either way you might end up with the correct color, but if you choose wrong you will have incorrect luminance at that point, messing with your gamma curve. There is no way of knowing, without measuring the output of each primary color, which (or a combination of the two) is the proper choice.

If you look at this "before" RGB graph from the HippoTech 12G Panasonic Plasma Calibration Guide...

... you can see that on that particular set, none of the primaries are on the correct baseline... green must be reduced and red and blue must be increased.

That said, it is relatively common, especially without test equipment, to leave green untouched and only adjust red and blue. So in your case, with no test equipment, you should probably start with reducing red and blue. But there is no way of knowing for sure that that is the correct thing to do without measuring. Assuming that you recorded all of the factory settings, there is no harm in experimenting, you can always go back to the original settings and start over.

CHEERS! That is EXACTLY the visual I needed to 'get' it. Many thanks to yourself and DerekDean. Will keep you posted when finally done. ...
AbeVigoda
aka A.V.
post #731 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this thread should be made a sticky and renamed "The Folly of using ANYONE's settings on YOUR display !!! (PINK is for Victoria's Secret ONLY!)"

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #732 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:

The only change you can make in the service menu is to the color temperature! The Panasonics do not have a color management system.

Larry

Larry,

Other posters have noted that the RGB saturation and hue adjustments accessible in VT25 Custom pro also carry over to the other picture modes (at least to THX). Is this considered to be color management? Also, what do calibrators do about color adjustment when they come to your home
post #733 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by renglade View Post

Larry,

Other posters have noted that the RGB saturation and hue adjustments accessible in VT25 Custom pro also carry over to the other picture modes (at least to THX). Is this considered to be color management? Also, what do calibrators do about color adjustment when they come to your home

Don't the VT25 displays have ISF modes? If they do then they should most definitely have CMS, perhaps just not at the user menus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #734 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

Don't the VT25 displays have ISF modes?

Yes.

Quote:

If they do then they should most definitely have CMS, perhaps just not at the user menus.

They do have CMS controls (RGB Hue and Saturation)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #735 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Larry,

Other posters have noted that the RGB saturation and hue adjustments accessible in VT25 Custom pro also carry over to the other picture modes (at least to THX).

I don't think this is correct, but I'll verify this when I get home.

Quote:

Also, what do calibrators do about color adjustment when they come to your home

What do you mean? Hopefully they calibrate your color along with the grayscale.

post #736 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

They do have CMS controls (RGB Hue and Saturation)

So it's only a 2D adjustment? Can't do anything about the Luminance?

post #737 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So it's only a 2D adjustment? Can't do anything about the Luminance?

One uses the color control for that.

post #738 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

One uses the color control for that.

In this case you get one setting for all 6 colors?

post #739 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 01:55 PM

Hey guys, i have 1 question. I just bought panny g20 42" E edition(Panasonic TX-P42G20E ). When i try to use viera cast it says it needs a new software update.

My version is 2.004 and the newest version is 2.407. it starts to update but at about 50-60 % ( tried the update 4 times, it cancels at random % all in range from 50-60) it stops and says error connecting to server and cancels my update. I can't seem to find this update online so i could update through usb or sd. Can you guys help?

(I'm connected to internet through my modem/router on optic fiber connection, speed 20/20. Ip of my comp is xxx.xxx.0.2, tv is set to acquire auto ip and has set one at xxx.xxx.0.5, router is xxx.xxx.0.1

much appreciated!
post #740 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Larry,

I know little about the 'expensive' Panasonics. My hands-on experience ends with the S1 and S2 series -- with all their variations, of course.

I tend to buy the entry level models each year for now. (I did skip the 2010 low end model because of what I perceive as unacceptable deficiencies.) Maybe in a year or two when the technology is more mature, I'll invest in a more permanent high-end set.

Larry
post #741 of 5012 Old 06-30-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In this case you get one setting for all 6 colors?

Uh no. I said RGB Hue and Saturation controls.

post #742 of 5012 Old 07-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

any update D-Nice on the vt25 settings?
post #743 of 5012 Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

any update D-Nice on the vt25 settings?

check the first page for updates
post #744 of 5012 Old 07-01-2010, 01:01 PM

My 50G25 failed (four blinks of the power light for what it is worth) and the Scan Control board was replaced to fix it. I had completed the panel aging process and D-Nice calibration adjustments prior to the failure and was very pleased with the results. As expected with the board replacement, picture settings are back to factory defaults and service menu offsets are different than my original and my adjusted settings.

The repair service company did not know anything about calibrations and stated all they do is replace the required boards per service guides and guidance from Panasonic. Should I be concerned? It seems to me that required calibration settings would vary based on the combination of components and at minimum variances in performance/output of the SC board and panel at a minimum. Should I be requesting a professional calibration from Panasonic?

My plan at this point is to skip any further aging and make the adjustments posted by D-Nice and seeing if I am happy with the results. Any thoughts/guidance?
post #745 of 5012 Old 07-03-2010, 08:43 AM

OK guys i copied all my offsets for my g25 then i applied the offsets posted by D-Nice but i noticed that after i did that the settings for ALL-CUT and ALL-DRV changed automatically from factory numbers, is that ok or should i change them back to the factory values ?
post #746 of 5012 Old 07-03-2010, 01:12 PM

I'm really curious about these settings. I saw you are going to post them the 7-6-'10. On the AV forum EU nobody has settings or want to share.

thnx,

Regards,
Marco
post #747 of 5012 Old 07-03-2010, 01:53 PM

D-nice,

Not sure if you can answer this question yet... But what is your opinion of CNET's recommended THX and pro settings for the VT20/25? My personal (non-professional) opinion is quite positive over default THX.

I am always curious why all of the settings I have found seem to target Warm over neutral colors.
post #748 of 5012 Old 07-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sstixrud View Post

D-nice,

Not sure if you can answer this question yet... But what is your opinion of CNET's recommended THX and pro settings for the VT20/25? My personal (non-professional) opinion is quite positive over default THX.

I am always curious why all of the settings I have found seem to target Warm over neutral colors.

Sstixrud,
Where are the CNET recommended THX and Pro settings? I went to the CNET review page for the TCP50VT25 and the TCP65VT25 and could not find any picture settings posted. I may have missed them. Could you provide a link to them? I am anxiously awaiting D-Nice settings like everyone else.

Thanks,

Mike
post #749 of 5012 Old 07-03-2010, 02:30 PM

Liked: 12
post #750 of 5012 Old 07-03-2010, 02:31 PM

Liked: 12
heres the complete cnet settings
Post 1 of 2Panasonic TC-P50VT25 picture settings
by katzmaier - 6/17/10 8:31 AM
Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33941234.html

Related products:
Panasonic TC-P50VT20
Panasonic TC-P54VT25
Panasonic TC-P58VT25
Panasonic TC-P65VT25

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Panasonic TC-P50VT25 in a dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Picture mode: THX
[all settings default except the following]
Contrast: +72
Brightness: +52
Color: +50
Sharpness: 0
Video NR: Off
Blur reduction: On

--Advanced picture submenu
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 96Hz [1080p/24 sources only]

As we mentioned in the review text, we also attempted a calibration via Custom mode. The results were slightly worse than the THX settings above, but we're including them below in case readers would like to see the difference

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +76
Brightness: +55
Color: +39
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 1
Color mgmt: Off
x.v. Color: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off