Samsung PNXXc550 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2810 Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those of you asking about some of the differences between the 550, 590 and 6500, I am pretty sure the 590 is the only set that is listed as having the Crystal Full HD Engine with Cinema Smooth, (I may be wrong on this but I have yet to find any information that proves differently). This feature is supposed to perform proper 1080P 24P playback. Whether this is an included but disabled feature on the other two sets I could not say. I don't remember anyone changing their model in the service menu as of yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2810 Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 AM

There is also a new review on the 590 model from CNET which gives some insight.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-34093282.html
post #273 of 2810 Old 05-21-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2 View Post

For those of you asking about some of the differences between the 550, 590 and 6500, I am pretty sure the 590 is the only set that is listed as having the Crystal Full HD Engine with Cinema Smooth. This feature is supposed to perform proper 1080P 24P playback. Whether this is an included but disabled feature on the other two sets I could not say. I don't remember anyone changing their model in the service menu as of yet.

You may be correct that the 590 is the only model listed by Samsung as having the CFHD feature, but it not required for 24p playback, the other models can do that.

And regarding the model change process, time to get reading! And hear is a good place to start: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175569

Al
post #274 of 2810 Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

AllShare was one of my reasons for this TV as well, and yes in answer to FuzzyReets question, I do expect it to work.

So wildecard, what kind of files do you play back when it comes to video? MKV's, Xvid's and with which audio?

I and others have been experiencing audio/video sync issues when playing back files with AllShare, have you noticed this?

Okay fair enough. I think it is reasonable to expect it to work, but to work well..that's another story. I wish you luck.
post #275 of 2810 Old 05-21-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post

Might be a dumb question but, what are floating blacks?

It occurs when the picture would occasionally appear to brighten very slightly or flickering during darker scenes

This Panansonic forum my help:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...236475&page=17
post #276 of 2810 Old 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post

Okay fair enough. I think it is reasonable to expect it to work, but to work well..that's another story. I wish you luck.

I am not sure why a manufacturer would build in such a feature and not expect it to be used as offered. I don't think it is too much to expect to play the supported files with the audio and video in sync.

But, 'work well...?', as you say maybe I just need better luck.

BTW, I do have a HTPC with Vista Media Center and that was my method for playing back these files before, but as wildecard said, the wife wasn't about to learn how to use that for simple playback, I had hoped that the Samsung's Media Play would be the answer...

It really is a great idea, maybe Samsung will offer some updates to help meet our expectations?

Al
post #277 of 2810 Old 05-21-2010, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 609
We Finally had the chance to calibrate and test the Samsung PN63C550. Review from Chad coming

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #278 of 2810 Old 05-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

(I'm assuming you meant 63c550.) That's great. My 63b550 got delivered damaged and unusable. So I got put on a wait list for the 63c550. Hope it's good.
post #279 of 2810 Old 05-21-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indondiver View Post

So YOU'RE the one that bought the last PN58B560 from Crutchfield!

That'll teach me to be slow in pulling the trigger

Hehehe... When I first called them a couple weeks ago, they said they had approx. sixty in stock. When I finally ordered it, they were down to four.

But, I would've been more that happy to have you get the one I got. Ceva delivered it, and it had a cracked screen; not the glass front, but the surface directly behind it.

When I called Crutchfield, I knew I was SOL, based on your post. They offered me a 58C590... for only $550 more than I paid for the B560. But I held my ground, and managed to get away with paying only $150 more. So I'm happy overall; a '10 model, with slightly better features.

Now, I need some assistance please...

I cannot see why 'Zoom 1' and 'Zoom 2' are not available to me; on that menu those two options are grayed out. It's in 16:9, but I want to zoom during break-in.

Thanks for any help.
post #280 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 05:58 AM

Liked: 14
Got the 550 last week at Best Buy at even a more discounted price in store than in the weekly sales circular. So far I'm imputing it thru my Sony STR-DN1000 via HDMI along with a new Comcast HDMI Cable Box and Samsung BD-C6500 Blu-ray player. The picture and sound quality are superb!

I just recently replaced all the RG-59 cable in my attic with RG-6 home runs on all my drops, plus ran CAT6 from the Router to TV's for networking. Everything totally concealed ...

Also the SD channels via the Comcast HDMI box look way better than I expected and have seen from friends sets. Maybe its the new RG-6 cable and the fact there are no longer any splitters on the lines.

Can't wait the watch a Blu-ray movie this weekend and see just how well the setup drives the Definitive Technology surround speakers.

Oh and so far I haven't noticed any buzzing.
post #281 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnphiker View Post

Got the 550 last week at Best Buy at even a more discounted price in store than in the weekly sales circular. So far I'm imputing it thru my Sony STR-DN1000 via HDMI along with a new Comcast HDMI Cable Box and Samsung BD-C6500 Blu-ray player. The picture and sound quality are superb!

I just recently replaced all the RG-59 cable in my attic with RG-6 home runs on all my drops, plus ran CAT6 from the Router to TV's for networking. Everything totally concealed ...

Also the SD channels via the Comcast HDMI box look way better than I expected and have seen from friends sets. Maybe its the new RG-6 cable and the fact there are no longer any splitters on the lines.

Can't wait the watch a Blu-ray movie this weekend and see just how well the setup drives the Definitive Technology surround speakers.

Oh and so far I haven't noticed any buzzing.

Good move on upgrading the cables (I don't generally fall under the spell of boutique cables or their hype), but properly rated cables that match their intended use is a must! I stopped by Home Depot and bought 1000' spools of each cable and when it comes time to 'upgrade' a run, I don't hesitate. When I re-do the theater I'll get FT4 rated 'in-wall' speaker wire as well.

Al
post #282 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Yesterday I had the opportunity to spend some time with the new Samsung PN63C550 at Cleveland Plasma. I've liked some of the nice touches Samsung has included in their higher end models lately, so I hoped that in the C550 I would find a TV that gives up some of the fancy stuff while retaining the core picture quality of Samsung's best. Is the C550 the answer for the enthusiast who loves a great picture but doesn't care about 3D or having the latest 1.4" inch thick panel?

One of the things the C550 gives up to it's more expensive siblings is the Real Black Filter. While all plasmas pick up reflections and glare, there is a large difference between plasmas in how much typical living room lighting effects the picture quality. The C550's screen lightens up quite a bit in bright rooms; for the best picture quality, keep lighting controlled. If the C550 has too much ambient light to compete with, the blacks and contrast will loose their richness.

Though I normally calibrate and review plasmas that have had at least 80 hours or so to break in, the C550 I worked with was brand new out of the box. I was unable to make the evaluation room dark, though ambient light was mild, with no harsh direct light.

After putting my familiar Blu Ray test material on the C550, I checked out the picture options. Of the 3 available picture presets, Movie looked the most natural before making any adjustments. Colors looked rich and fairly natural, though overall the picture was a little grainy and seemed to lack punch and vitality. Attachment 1 shows the measured performance before calibration in Movie mode. Movie actually had more peak brightness than Standard mode (attachment 2), which put out an unacceptably dim 21 fL in addition to having less accurate colors and gamma. At no time did I hear any buzzing from the panel.

I checked the service menu and found nothing useful there; so, not wanting to do too much dangerous experimentation, it looked like Movie mode would would be the best starting point for calibration. Movie mode has all the normal contrast, brightness, color, and similar controls in addition to high and low end grayscale controls and gamma selection. Movie mode proved very straightforward to calibrate, and the results were good. Though there was some unevenness in the grayscale tracking, it was benign in nature and severity. Shadow detail was superb; dark images came out of black at a good rate, neither too hard to see nor too washed out. Stability was good, with no black level fluctuation or pumping. Color, however, was a bit problematic. As with the Samsung PN-C7000 plasma I reviewed recently, with the color set the way the measurements suggested real program material looked far too rich and colored. Perhaps Samsung has implemented a more aggressive auto color function and kept it hidden in these latest models; but for whatever reason, it is necessary to back off the color from the measured perfect levels in order to have a more natural looking picture.

When it came time to measure black levels, I purposefully gave the set time to rest (about 20 minutes), briefly put on the screen wipe function, and then let it rest again before making any measurement attempts. I covered the screen with a black blanket to eliminate any stray light and switched from the Eye One Pro to my Trichromat-1 meter, which is much more reliable at low light readings. The resulting black level was a surprisingly good .011 fL, and the modified ANSI contrast ratio was a superb 2470:1! Since these measurements were so much better than I expected, I double checked them with similar results. In a dark room, the C550 should have an outstanding amount of pop and contrast.

Unfortunately, since I could not evaluate the C550 in a dark room, I could not see it at it's best. I would expect the C550's great blacks and contrast to be much more apparent in a dark room. However, it did look very good, with a natural, easygoing look. Fleshtones, as with the C7000, were a little hot, but many people will love that presentation. If you're not one of them, taking the color down a few more notches or turning the fleshtone adjustment in the advanced menu toward green would result in more palatable fleshtones without compromising overall color too much. The graininess noted before calibration was gone. The only serious obstacle to a great picture was the room lighting, which the C550 was not able to prevent from washing out the blacks. If I were not concerned with matching it's light output to a nearby Sharp for picture comparison purposes, I could have bumped the C550's light output up a bit more to compensate for the washed out blacks.

I had the opportunity to compare the C550 to a Sharp 60LE820 that I had also calibrated. A high grade HDMI distribution amp was used to feed the same picture to both sets at once, and their light outputs were matched to within 5%. Both sets were angled to the viewing position. The comparison was done in the same lighting conditions described above.
With the power off, the Samsung looked much milkier, but reflections drew less attention; the Sharp had more noticeable reflections, but it's black filter soaked up the light better without washing out and turning gray.
The Samsung's fleshtones were slightly more colored in the DVE restaurant scene. The Sharp was slightly sharper and clearer; it had more pop because the screen was darker. The Samsung had a slight greenish cast in comparison. The Sharp looked slightly more cool, clinical, and harsh; while the Samsung looked softer, but slightly more natural.
White clouds looked more natural on the Samsung, but more like an enhanced glossy picture on the Sharp.
There was much more green shading on the Samsung. For example, the bank vault in The Dark Knight looked steel gray (not green enough) on the Sharp, but greenish (a little more than normal) on the Samsung.
Much more pop and impact came through on the Sharp. Shadow detail was excellent on both.

Samsung C550 bef movie.pdf 177.0849609375k . file

Samsung C550 bef standard.pdf 178.318359375k . file

Samsung C550 aft movie.pdf 174.5947265625k . file

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #283 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the review Chad. Wasn't expecting the black level measurement to be that good. I thought it would have been in the .015-.020 range. My only complaint so far is how light the screen gets when there is too much ambient light in the room. Other than that, I am happy with my purchase.
post #284 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 01:22 PM

Yes, thanks for the review. The only thing I need to know is whether or not Cinema Smooth is 100% problem free on the 2010 Samsungs. I know CNET just posted a review of the PN50C590 and said it didn't handle 24p properly.
post #285 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 01:45 PM

Hawkeye, you still deciding between the Samsung C550 and LG PK550? You can't go wrong with either one.
post #286 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip808 View Post

Hawkeye, you still deciding between the Samsung C550 and LG PK550? You can't go wrong with either one.

Hehe, yes it's a tough decision I must say. Although it is between the LG 50PK550 or the Samsung PN50C590.
post #287 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4jc View Post

But, I would've been more that happy to have you get the one I got. Ceva delivered it, and it had a cracked screen; not the glass front, but the surface directly behind it.

EXACT same for me. 63b550 delivered but the inner sheet of glass was totally wrecked. They discounted the 63c550 and I keep the free 19" tv. So I'm on a wait list...no idea when I'll get the tv.
post #288 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if this means the b550 was better out of the box than the c550.
post #289 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

EXACT same for me. 63b550 delivered but the inner sheet of glass was totally wrecked. They discounted the 63c550 and I keep the free 19" tv. So I'm on a wait list...no idea when I'll get the tv.

hah, the exact same thing happened to me today as well. ceva delivery, cracked inner glass, discounted (small) on the c550. no idea on how long I will have to wait either.
post #290 of 2810 Old 05-22-2010, 09:24 PM

Liked: 11
My PN58C550 came in today! Here's my mini-review:

Disclaimer: I'm not a videophile, so everything written here is based on an untrained eye. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't do this right after Chad's awesome review. Oh well

Picture:
Picture was gorgeous out of the box under 'Movie' setting. 'Standard' setting seemed too... saturated? Not sure what word to use here. It just looked 'wrong' to me.

Glare:
My TV is located next to 2 french windows. We started watching in the afternoon, and we were not bothered by any glare even with the blinds open.

Buzz:
Initially, there was a very slight buzzing sound audible from 9 - 10 ft away, but it didn't bother us at all (my girlfriend and I had to really listen for it to hear it). We watched a full movie, and then a couple of hours of TV afterwards. We can't hear the buzzing sound anymore after about 3-4 hours of viewing, even when we try to listen for it.

We either got used to the sound really quickly, or it went away. I suspect the latter.

*UPDATE* The buzzing definitely went away. We can't hear any buzzing even after muting the sound, or putting our ears close to the set.

Sound:
Can't comment on this, since the TV is hooked up to an audio system.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with the purchase. I'd like to thank some members here for providing the push necessary for me to pull the trigger on this beauty!
post #291 of 2810 Old 05-23-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder what sort of black levels the 50c550 would produce - presuming it's a lot worse.
post #292 of 2810 Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post

I wonder what sort of black levels the 50c550 would produce - presuming it's a lot worse.

Sorry if this is the wrong answer but your statement lacks context...

From Chad's review above: I would expect the C550's great blacks and contrast to be much more apparent in a dark room.
llaumann likes this.

Al
post #293 of 2810 Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Sorry if this is the wrong answer but your statement lacks context...

From Chad's review above: I would expect the C550's great blacks and contrast to be much more apparent in a dark room.

I think he means to say is that sometimes smaller sets tend to produce a higher black level than the larger ones.
post #294 of 2810 Old 05-23-2010, 11:53 AM

Liked: 11
Hmmm the slight buzz came back, and is noticeable again late last night when I was playing blu-ray over PS3 with low volumes.

It's not annoying enough for me to justify returning the set, but I did put in a ticket to the Samsung service center. I'll see what they say (if they can fix it or not).
post #295 of 2810 Old 05-23-2010, 02:38 PM

I purchased the PN58C550G1F on Friday. I am moving out of a home that had an LG plasma. First thing I noticed is that the Samsung is not nearly as bright as the LG.

Was actually thinking about taking this guy back due to the brightness issue alone, but after reading through here I think I will try some of the calibration settings pasted in the thread. Sounds like I may just need to give it some time to break in as well. When I was waiting for the charter tech to install my services, I was playing 2K10 on XBOX. At first the picture wasn't that great. After a while of playing and then coming back later and playing some more I noticed the picture quality seemed to have improved somewhat.

Thanks for the settings posted in the thread!
post #296 of 2810 Old 05-23-2010, 03:00 PM

These settings, although from the C590 series, looks great with the C550 series as well since both use the same panel:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...&tag=mncol;txt
post #297 of 2810 Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Chad,

Is there any way we would be able to see the calibration settings you used on the Samsung C550? I'd love to use your settings a base to calibrate my Plasma.

Cheers!
post #298 of 2810 Old 05-23-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitTheTwit View Post

Chad,

Is there any way we would be able to see the calibration settings you used on the Samsung C550? I'd love to use your settings a base to calibrate my Plasma.

Cheers!

That's a great idea. Don't know how accurate CNET's settings are, but I'm using their settings for the C590 since they share the same panel as the C550. It looks pretty good to me, but I'd like to try ChadB's settings if possible.
post #299 of 2810 Old 05-23-2010, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip808 View Post

That's a great idea. Don't know how accurate CNET's settings are, but I'm using their settings for the C590 since they share the same panel as the C550. It looks pretty good to me, but I'd like to try ChadB's settings if possible.

I'm not trying to give a flippant answer here, just stating the truth: every set needs it's own individual calibration. Sharing settings is hit and miss- that's why sometimes C-Net's settings look good, and sometimes not so much. I've seen sets whose owner's have put in someone else's settings they got here (well respected ones) and their set happened to be worse off than if it were left at the factory defaults for that mode.
Generally, there are a few guidelines, though: start in Movie mode. Sharpness on this and other recent Samsung plasmas should be at 0 to avoid edge enhancement, cell light should be raised to max unless burn in / IR is an extra concern, tint should be at or near midpoint, and brightness should be 1 step below the exact point where black just starts to illuminate above MLL. Contrast, gamma, and brightness interact; set brightness last. Color should be at or slightly below midpoint. Lower contrast from the default setting if the set is in a dark room.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #300 of 2810 Old 05-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Chad.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page