AVS Forum banner

Samsung PNXXc550 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK*

445K views 3K replies 476 participants last post by  heavyness 
#1 ·
Just got my Samsung PN50C550 on Wednesday. Set looks amazing especially going from an 11 year old 32" RCA CRT to this High Def Beauty. I am still in the break in period but even with everything turned down the set looks incredible (Battle Field Bad Company 2, I think I wet my self). I would also Like to report that I have "NO BUZZING"

Let me know any settings I need to change or check and also any other questions you may have about the set. Keep it simple though I'm an HD Noob.

#256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzolious /forum/post/18650918

Hey, would you mind posting your settings?? I'd like to compare them to what I have calibrated on my set. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets /forum/post/18650970

+1 Would be much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildecard /forum/post/18651001

+2

I posted mine a page or so back, but I like playing around to see if there's something I like better.

Hey guys, you of course know that the C590 is very similar to our C550 so if you are interested take a look at this thead...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243570

#259 ·
Tried to send you this:

Well, I haven't even registered the TV yet, so I think it's transferable

What do you mean verify that it can be fixed before "removing" the TV. I'm afraid I really got the run around with the last TV. One tech said it's normal. The next said it wasn't and took it for a month! It ended up in the first techs hands and he tried a few things and then said it's normal again

I regret this whole thing. Believe me, if you could hear it, you would know it's not normal. And by the way, the tech who said it was normal was at least 60 and the other much younger, hmm.

#260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic /forum/post/18651736

Tried to send you this:

Well, I haven't even registered the TV yet, so I think it's transferable

What do you mean verify that it can be fixed before "removing" the TV. I'm afraid I really got the run around with the last TV. One tech said it's normal. The next said it wasn't and took it for a month! It ended up in the first techs hands and he tried a few things and then said it's normal again

I regret this whole thing. Believe me, if you could hear it, you would know it's not normal. And by the way, the tech who said it was normal was at least 60 and the other much younger, hmm.

I cleared out the PM box....

Yeah, I understand what you mean about the techs, if they 'think' that it is normal then you are done, no way to change their minds.

This whole buzz issue is a real blemish on these sets, some must be better then others because there are those that have had them replaced because of this and the new set is OK.

After what you have been through I consider myself lucky!

#261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood /forum/post/18643699

Well, here I go, I'll give MY opinion on the differences I saw between the C6500 and the C550 (both 58" models)... I couldn't see much, seriously these two sets were about 10' apart, playing the same HDTV feed and they looked pretty much the same. When I saw this my mind was made up, if I have to compare two set SXS and LOOK for something different then to me it wouldn't be worth and extra $400.

Now that you have your C550 at home is it bad?, does it make you wish you had something else?, I bet not...

As for the Crystal HD Engine, it's effects when called upon are there, but I would say more in the order of subtle rather then earth shaking. Some may say they cannot live without it, but that would be a decision you would have to weigh based on the cost. With that in mind take a look at this thread, well worth the read if you are thinking about this feature. I promise, you will find it interesting!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175569

Thanks for your reply Al. I wanted to get the c6500 mostly because of crystal full HD engine because I herd it improves picture quality, especially when watching SD channels. I think the c550 has great picture quality, but when I watch TV, I feel like the picture is not giving enough detail(even on HD channels). Than again channels aren't the best to judge on, but I had an LCD before this TV and seemed to give out more details in picture but din't like the fact that there was a bunch of motion blur, jerky, so I returned it to get a plasma. I was hoping crystal full HD engine would help giving of better detail in picture, but I don't know what to do. I have little time to decide whether or not to return the TV, and I haven't even watched blu reay on this TV. Can't find a Ps3 anywhere

But what does crystal full HD engine really do? Do you think it will help give a better, crisper,clearer picture? Better picture quality over all? I read the thread, but couldn't seem to get an answer to this.

Thank you.

#262 ·
Well, after reading 9 pages of --very useful-- comments within this thread, I've only discovered one problem with my set that I've seen mentioned a few times in this thread.

I've owned the set for about 3 weeks and all has been beautiful until a few days ago -- after watching "Book of Eli" via USB/Media Player the screen started to strobe with weird colors. Switching the source of signal did nothing to correct it and after a couple of minutes, I turned the set off and on and that cleared the problem up.

At the time I was a bit worried, but I thought maybe it was just a glitch, considering the oddly colored, very contrasty nature of the film -- the movie constantly switches from very bright to very dark scenes.

But in the days since, the strobe effect has happened at least 2 more times. It always happens after using Media Player and today it occurred when one .avi completed -- the screen went blank and when I switched to a different source, I heard sound but no picture. When I switched back to media player I got no picture nor sound and when switching, once again to another source, I saw nothing -- not even the source menu. I had to shut it down and restart the tv and all was normal again.

So now, I'm getting a bit concerned. I have a Wii, a standard DVD player (Philips) and a USB hard drive on one USB connection (rear) and a USB thumb drive on the other (side). No cable box, just an antenna for OTA digital signals.

I'm hoping it's just a firmware issue and will be addressed in the near future (the media player could definitely use a few tweaks, IMO).

thinking, maybe I should start a dedicated thread for this issue to see how many people have had this problem... judging by this thread, it's just a few people, but then again -- I had to read a lot of posts before I came across the others that had experienced the same problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

#263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanewGuy /forum/post/18660097

Thanks for your reply Al. I wanted to get the c6500 mostly because of crystal full HD engine because I herd it improves picture quality, especially when watching SD channels. I think the c550 has great picture quality, but when I watch TV, I feel like the picture is not giving enough detail(even on HD channels). Than again channels aren't the best to judge on, but I had an LCD before this TV and seemed to give out more details in picture but din't like the fact that there was a bunch of motion blur, jerky, so I returned it to get a plasma. I was hoping crystal full HD engine would help giving of better detail in picture, but I don't know what to do. I have little time to decide whether or not to return the TV, and I haven't even watched blu reay on this TV. Can't find a Ps3 anywhere

But what does crystal full HD engine really do? Do you think it will help give a better, crisper,clearer picture? Better picture quality over all? I read the thread, but couldn't seem to get an answer to this.

Thank you.

As for C6500, on Samsung's US site it deoesn't even mention that it has Crystal Full HD Engine (CFHD)? Regarding CFHD, it is a feature found on the C590 series, possibly included in the hardware of the C550 but enabled only on particular models. Samsungs website says that it improves the picture in an overall way but it is vague on exactly how it does this.

For the moment focusing only on CFHD, it should help the picture quality but in an incremental sense only, I don't think that it take an un acceptable image and make it the best you have seen.

At this point I wouldn't return a TV just to get it, a proper adjustment of the user controls will likely net a better improvement in picture then just turning on CFHD. ISF calibrators have been proving this for years, they take ordinary or poor performing set and make adjustments to them that provide incredible pictures.

Take a look at this review of a PN58B650, it doesn't even mention CFHD and in the end the opinion of the reviewer was that the Samsung set was probably the most accurate and pleasing set available (assuming of course the 2010 are the same or better then the outgoing 2009 models!

Samsung PN58B650

#264 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanewGuy /forum/post/18660097

Thank you.

Hey TheNewGuy,

How many hours do you have on your TV? I will tell you I was in what I think is the same boat you are in right now. I was disappointed, looking for more, etc. It came with time though. The TV broke in and now I am so happy that I kept it. I was going to return it at one point but now I absolutely love it. It just needed time to break in I think. It looks much different than it did when I first got it I can tell you that. Mine is the PN58B550. Just something to think about. Thought I'd share my experience as well.

#265 ·
Ok I love this tv but I have some problems in my second week with the tv. I upgraded from the LN46a650 and the picture is much better. As I break it in I notice the buzz is decreasing. But I have a dead pixel for sure and I have floating blacks. The Floating blacks are pretty minor compared to what I have seen from panasonics but it is still there on the picture at the very most bothersom some times with in ten minutes of last occurance. I might regret that it could some how have been caused when I changed the model to c590 in the service menu. While the cinema mode feature was working correctly and I believe it took care of my floating blacks because the picture had brighten blacks when in cinema mode which was noticably smoother and the blacks were smoother in a brightened way. I changed back to c550 in the menu because I noticed when out of cinema mode (which was not my prefered because of weaker blacks) the picture handled 24p poorly than compared to original c550 picture. Really confused on some of these things because I have read other people changed models back and forth with no problems and also because I have not heard one report of floating blacks on this tv yet. If any one has any input please let me know, even if you think it might be a feature in the settings that is causing the floating blacks? (again not happening alot just a flucuating of the blacks for about four seconds and then not again until ten or twenty minutes later)

#266 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker083234 /forum/post/18667115

Ok I love this tv but I have some problems in my second week with the tv. I upgraded from the LN46a650 and the picture is much better. As I break it in I notice the buzz is decreasing. But I have a dead pixel for sure and I have floating blacks. The Floating blacks are pretty minor compared to what I have seen from panasonics but it is still there on the picture at the very most bothersom some times with in ten minutes of last occurance. I might regret that it could some how have been caused when I changed the model to c590 in the service menu. While the cinema mode feature was working correctly and I believe it took care of my floating blacks because the picture had brighten blacks when in cinema mode which was noticably smoother and the blacks were smoother in a brightened way. I changed back to c550 in the menu because I noticed when out of cinema mode (which was not my prefered because of weaker blacks) the picture handled 24p poorly than compared to original c550 picture. Really confused on some of these things because I have read other people changed models back and forth with no problems and also because I have not heard one report of floating blacks on this tv yet. If any one has any input please let me know, even if you think it might be a feature in the settings that is causing the floating blacks? (again not happening alot just a flucuating of the blacks for about four seconds and then not again until ten or twenty minutes later)

Might be a dumb question but, what are floating blacks?

#267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticprophet /forum/post/18660935

Well, after reading 9 pages of --very useful-- comments within this thread, I've only discovered one problem with my set that I've seen mentioned a few times in this thread.

I've owned the set for about 3 weeks and all has been beautiful until a few days ago -- after watching "Book of Eli" via USB/Media Player the screen started to strobe with weird colors. Switching the source of signal did nothing to correct it and after a couple of minutes, I turned the set off and on and that cleared the problem up.

At the time I was a bit worried, but I thought maybe it was just a glitch, considering the oddly colored, very contrasty nature of the film -- the movie constantly switches from very bright to very dark scenes.

But in the days since, the strobe effect has happened at least 2 more times. It always happens after using Media Player and today it occurred when one .avi completed -- the screen went blank and when I switched to a different source, I heard sound but no picture. When I switched back to media player I got no picture nor sound and when switching, once again to another source, I saw nothing -- not even the source menu. I had to shut it down and restart the tv and all was normal again.

So now, I'm getting a bit concerned. I have a Wii, a standard DVD player (Philips) and a USB hard drive on one USB connection (rear) and a USB thumb drive on the other (side). No cable box, just an antenna for OTA digital signals.

I'm hoping it's just a firmware issue and will be addressed in the near future (the media player could definitely use a few tweaks, IMO).

thinking, maybe I should start a dedicated thread for this issue to see how many people have had this problem... judging by this thread, it's just a few people, but then again -- I had to read a lot of posts before I came across the others that had experienced the same problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

I was the one that had the inital issue with the "Strobe Effect". To the best of my knowledge I was the only one to have the issue (at least until your post). It sounds like the only main difference in our issues is that when it happened to me the screen never went black. Switching inputs never fixed it, only powering the TV off. One time it even locked up to where I could't switch inputs or power it off with either the remote or the button on the TV. I had to actually unplug it. The was the final straw for me. I exchanged the TV at Best Buy for another of the same model. I did take a flash drive to Best Buy to see if I could replicate the issue on another TV there and I couldn't. The exchange works great and I've had no issues with it. I also thought it was a firmware issue, but being as it was just me I opted to exchange it. I would recommend you do the same if that is possible.

#268 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildecard /forum/post/18667700

I was the one that had the inital issue with the "Strobe Effect". To the best of my knowledge I was the only one to have the issue (at least until your post). It sounds like the only main difference in our issues is that when it happened to me the screen never went black. Switching inputs never fixed it, only powering the TV off. One time it even locked up to where I could't switch inputs or power it off with either the remote or the button on the TV. I had to actually unplug it. The was the final straw for me. I exchanged the TV at Best Buy for another of the same model. I did take a flash drive to Best Buy to see if I could replicate the issue on another TV there and I couldn't. The exchange works great and I've had no issues with it. I also thought it was a firmware issue, but being as it was just me I opted to exchange it. I would recommend you do the same if that is possible.

Not to be rude or anything, but I just want to throw my 2 cents in, and again, not meant to annoy but is this something you really want to use and really think is going to work well? Seems like it is one of those things that works if you are using the perfect file with the perfect everything and then it will work. Doesn't really come off as something that will work well just looking at it. Don't you have a better way to play this stuff other than using this USB Media Player stuff? Sounds like garbage to me. Just my opinion. Put it on a USB drive and run it from your Xbox or PS3. Probably less headaches.

#269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets /forum/post/18667723

Not to be rude or anything, but I just want to throw my 2 cents in, and again, not meant to annoy but is this something you really want to use and really think is going to work well? Seems like it is one of those things that works if you are using the perfect file with the perfect everything and then it will work. Doesn't really come off as something that will work well just looking at it. Don't you have a better way to play this stuff other than using this USB Media Player stuff? Sounds like garbage to me. Just my opinion. Put it on a USB drive and run it from your Xbox or PS3. Probably less headaches.

Actually, since I swapped the TV out it's worked great. AllShare was one of my main reasons for deciding on this TV. I haven't has ANY issues with any of my files or anything playing through AllShare. To me personally it is much easier than having to go and grab the XBox from the TV in my backroom (where the kids usually have it) and bringing it out and hooking it up in the living room just so when I'm done watching my media it has to be moved back for the kids to use again. Also my wife likes it. She has it pretty much figured out. (She wouldn't even try with the XBox).

#270 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildecard /forum/post/18667810

Actually, since I swapped the TV out it's worked great. AllShare was one of my main reasons for deciding on this TV. I haven't has ANY issues with any of my files or anything playing through AllShare. To me personally it is much easier than having to go and grab the XBox from the TV in my backroom (where the kids usually have it) and bringing it out and hooking it up in the living room just so when I'm done watching my media it has to be moved back for the kids to use again. Also my wife likes it. She has it pretty much figured out. (She wouldn't even try with the XBox).

AllShare was one of my reasons for this TV as well, and yes in answer to FuzzyReets question, I do expect it to work.

So wildecard, what kind of files do you play back when it comes to video? MKV's, Xvid's and with which audio?

I and others have been experiencing audio/video sync issues when playing back files with AllShare, have you noticed this?

#271 ·
For those of you asking about some of the differences between the 550, 590 and 6500, I am pretty sure the 590 is the only set that is listed as having the Crystal Full HD Engine with Cinema Smooth, (I may be wrong on this but I have yet to find any information that proves differently). This feature is supposed to perform proper 1080P 24P playback. Whether this is an included but disabled feature on the other two sets I could not say. I don't remember anyone changing their model in the service menu as of yet.

#273 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf2 /forum/post/18667959

For those of you asking about some of the differences between the 550, 590 and 6500, I am pretty sure the 590 is the only set that is listed as having the Crystal Full HD Engine with Cinema Smooth. This feature is supposed to perform proper 1080P 24P playback. Whether this is an included but disabled feature on the other two sets I could not say. I don't remember anyone changing their model in the service menu as of yet.

You may be correct that the 590 is the only model listed by Samsung as having the CFHD feature, but it not required for 24p playback, the other models can do that.

And regarding the model change process, time to get reading!
And hear is a good place to start: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175569

#274 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood /forum/post/18667906

AllShare was one of my reasons for this TV as well, and yes in answer to FuzzyReets question, I do expect it to work.

So wildecard, what kind of files do you play back when it comes to video? MKV's, Xvid's and with which audio?

I and others have been experiencing audio/video sync issues when playing back files with AllShare, have you noticed this?

Okay fair enough. I think it is reasonable to expect it to work, but to work well..that's another story. I wish you luck.

#276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets /forum/post/18668052

Okay fair enough. I think it is reasonable to expect it to work, but to work well..that's another story. I wish you luck.

I am not sure why a manufacturer would build in such a feature and not expect it to be used as offered. I don't think it is too much to expect to play the supported files with the audio and video in sync.

But, 'work well...?', as you say maybe I just need better luck.

BTW, I do have a HTPC with Vista Media Center and that was my method for playing back these files before, but as wildecard said, the wife wasn't about to learn how to use that for simple playback, I had hoped that the Samsung's Media Play would be the answer...

It really is a great idea, maybe Samsung will offer some updates to help meet our expectations?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.