Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UkHardcore23 View Post

i have enabled....

Digital Noise Filter: Auto
Mpeg Noise Filter: Auto
Film Mode: Auto 2

And the stutter has now completely gone from Cable.

I must have got a lemon cuz thats the settings I had mine on as well. I watch alot of hockey so this issue was too annoying to live with. I am now contemplating another c550 or a pk550 in 58" or 60"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2810 Old 05-30-2010, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang View Post

hey dude, thanks for the reply.

I have a movie setting one from this thread with warm 2 and everything but t just looked off and really dark. I like pictures to jump at me so I took the same settings and put it in dynamics mode and modified it, like putting the contrast and brightness down from the picture menu. It's bright, but the colors are off and it's kinda blurry on neon red color. (when it's blinking i.e. game menu)

If you don't mind, can you share your settings?
I would love to see how you have setup yours.

So far I have tried 3 different settings and it wasn't all that fancy to me...

sorry it took me awhile to respond, but I have been using the CNET setting mentioned above and have had good results, with minor tweaking to overall brightness and contrast to suit my personal tastes, maybe you should try Movie mode for awhile and see if your eyes adjust to it, perhaps you are just not used to that type of setting and will warm up to it, so to speak
post #363 of 2810 Old 05-30-2010, 04:27 PM

Ughh So I have had my PN50C550 for a few weeks now and the TV has developed a thin black line going down the middle of the TV. Guess I will be calling Samsung to get another tech out here. This is my second Samsung with major problems!!! I am not a happy camper.
post #364 of 2810 Old 05-30-2010, 04:49 PM

so, i'm seriously considering getting one of these to replace my 3-ish year old samsung lnt4065f as my main set, but was wondering whether anyone could offer any information on how it would handle a 1.5tb usb hard drive used almost exclusively for music (200ish gigs full, ~22,000 files organized in folders by artist\\album, and all tagged correctly)?

i currently have this hd plugged into my xbox 360 for music purposes (streaming isn't an option as my router has some severe limitations, and i'm not particularly interested in fixing that issue). but, the xbox is noisy and i was thinking it would be ideal if i could bypass the xbox and just plug the hd into the tv. beyond that, the xbox can only see the drive if it's formatted in fat32, and it would be nice to be able to reformat it back to ntfs so i can store video files bigger than 4gb if that situation ever presented itself.

i guess i'm wondering whether this would be a suitable substitute for using the xbox? does it read id3 tags? can i create playlists? is there anyway to shut the screen off to avoid a static image hanging out for hours on end? my current tv has a usb input, but it won't recognize more than 1gb on the drive and it's super-cumbersome as far as file handling goes. any advice or information would be appreciated.

thanks much.
post #365 of 2810 Old 05-30-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleywwu View Post

so, i'm seriously considering getting one of these to replace my 3-ish year old samsung lnt4065f as my main set, but was wondering whether anyone could offer any information on how it would handle a 1.5tb usb hard drive used almost exclusively for music (200ish gigs full, ~22,000 files organized in folders by artist\\album, and all tagged correctly)?

i currently have this hd plugged into my xbox 360 for music purposes (streaming isn't an option as my router has some severe limitations, and i'm not particularly interested in fixing that issue). but, the xbox is noisy and i was thinking it would be ideal if i could bypass the xbox and just plug the hd into the tv. beyond that, the xbox can only see the drive if it's formatted in fat32, and it would be nice to be able to reformat it back to ntfs so i can store video files bigger than 4gb if that situation ever presented itself.

i guess i'm wondering whether this would be a suitable substitute for using the xbox? does it read id3 tags? can i create playlists? is there anyway to shut the screen off to avoid a static image hanging out for hours on end? my current tv has a usb input, but it won't recognize more than 1gb on the drive and it's super-cumbersome as far as file handling goes. any advice or information would be appreciated.

thanks much.

I haven't seen any spec from Samsung with regards to the size of HDD these sets will recognize, I am only using a 500GB drive right now. After awhile with music it will continue to display the artist and song title along with thumbnail but move it about the screen to prevent IR. AFAIK there is no way to turn off the picture while playing back music.

As for reading 'correct' ID3 tags, not sure, I have some files that display correct album art and others that do not, but then again I cannot claim that all of the tags on my music is correct either. Let's put it this way if the file structure is compatible, the Samsung DLNA client will display additional information.

As for play-lists, no, it doesn't do this, it will sort by album name, genre or Artist though, but from what I have seen it is not all that fast.

If you have a MP3 that has what you consider to have a 'correct' ID3 tag, get it to me and I will download it and give it a try..., I can put on the HDD and also use PC Share Manager to see what the results are.

Al
post #366 of 2810 Old 05-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Anybody having any problems with flickering? (think this is the problem) Had the TV for 9 days now and this problem has only just occurred yesterday. The TV's picture seems to be going brighter then duller quite bit, have heard the Panasonics suffer badly with this but not the Sammy's as much?

Is this flickering or a fault?
post #367 of 2810 Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 PM

SAMSUNG QUALITY AT IT'S BEST!!!

This happens 3 weeks after I get my brand new 2010 Samsung Plasma. Looks like 4-5 lines going to the center of my screen.

post #368 of 2810 Old 05-30-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

I haven't seen any spec from Samsung with regards to the size of HDD these sets will recognize, I am only using a 500GB drive right now. After awhile with music it will continue to display the artist and song title along with thumbnail but move it about the screen to prevent IR. AFAIK there is no way to turn off the picture while playing back music.

As for reading 'correct' ID3 tags, not sure, I have some files that display correct album art and others that do not, but then again I cannot claim that all of the tags on my music is correct either. Let's put it this way if the file structure is compatible, the Samsung DLNA client will display additional information.

As for play-lists, no, it doesn't do this, it will sort by album name, genre or Artist though, but from what I have seen it is not all that fast.

If you have a MP3 that has what you consider to have a 'correct' ID3 tag, get it to me and I will download it and give it a try..., I can put on the HDD and also use PC Share Manager to see what the results are.

thanks, Al - this is good information, and I appreciate the offer to check one of my files. I think the fact that it reads the tags on your mp3s is good enough - album art is an added bonus I hadn't expected (and by "correct" - all I meant was each file has artist, album, track name, track number and album art associated with it).

One follow-up - is your drive NTFS or FAT32?
post #369 of 2810 Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:

Anybody having any problems with flickering? (think this is the problem) Had the TV for 9 days now and this problem has only just occurred yesterday. The TV's picture seems to be going brighter then duller quite bit, have heard the Panasonics suffer badly with this but not the Sammy's as much?

could it be the eco mode? i had to turn this function off as it looked like the tv was confused with the lighting in the room and switching the eco mode on and off. kinda like the street lamps at dusk coming on and off a few times.
post #370 of 2810 Old 05-30-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel350 View Post

SAMSUNG QUALITY AT IT'S BEST!!!

This happens 3 weeks after I get my brand new 2010 Samsung Plasma. Looks like 4-5 lines going to the center of my screen.

That's terrible. I'd try and exchange it for a new one. Where did you purchase your set? I'm sure they would have no problem exchanging it for a new one since it's still within the 30 day return period.
post #371 of 2810 Old 05-30-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleywwu View Post

thanks, Al - this is good information, and I appreciate the offer to check one of my files. I think the fact that it reads the tags on your mp3s is good enough - album art is an added bonus I hadn't expected (and by "correct" - all I meant was each file has artist, album, track name, track number and album art associated with it).

One follow-up - is your drive NTFS or FAT32?

The hard drive I am currently using is formated NTFS, I also use a USB memory stick formated FAT32, appearently the specification also includes FAT16.

Al
post #372 of 2810 Old 05-31-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoglyphics View Post

could it be the eco mode? i had to turn this function off as it looked like the tv was confused with the lighting in the room and switching the eco mode on and off. kinda like the street lamps at dusk coming on and off a few times.

Defo wasnt on Eco, checked all the settings. Turned the TV off and back on and was fine for 5-10 mins then it came back.
post #373 of 2810 Old 05-31-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip808 View Post

That's terrible. I'd try and exchange it for a new one. Where did you purchase your set? I'm sure they would have no problem exchanging it for a new one since it's still within the 30 day return period.

I got it directly from Samsung. This is a replacement of my first Samsung set that went dead.
post #374 of 2810 Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Just finished my first setup after 100 hour burn in on my PN58C550. WOW. Way more impressed than I was with the B550. Took me way less time to get things where I wanted them. Used the AVCHD disk to set some stuff up. Really happy with it. I'll post some settings shortly...although most of the time time my settings are much different than everyone else's. Generally I hate Movie Mode and everyone else seems to like it...Just one example.
post #375 of 2810 Old 06-01-2010, 05:58 PM

Liked: 13
Hey guys. I picked up the PN50C590 yesterday. I have it hooked up to my PC via HDMI 1080 24P. I have a question about which Pixel Format to use. Last night I was using YCbCr 4:4:4. and set up the TV using the AVS calibration disc. However, I was very disappointed with the black levels of this tv, the blacks looked dark grey and the screen looked "cloudy" :\\

Today, I contacted Samsung via there chat support and they said to switch it to RGB:4:4:4. I did this and immediately noticed a richer, darker screen with added "pop". I thought everything was fine but when I went into the AVS calibration disc's menu I had to turn up the brightness to like 85 or 90 before I could see ANY of the brightness bars lighting up. So my question is, which format should I use for this TV? RGB looks WAY more and gives better blacks but I am unable to calibrate the TV using the test discs. What is going on?
post #376 of 2810 Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by neokeelo View Post

Hey guys. I picked up the PN50C590 yesterday. I have it hooked up to my PC via HDMI 1080 24P. I have a question about which Pixel Format to use. Last night I was using YCbCr 4:4:4. and set up the TV using the AVS calibration disc. However, I was very disappointed with the black levels of this tv, the blacks looked dark grey and the screen looked "cloudy" :\\

Today, I contacted Samsung via there chat support and they said to switch it to RGB:4:4:4. I did this and immediately noticed a richer, darker screen with added "pop". I thought everything was fine but when I went into the AVS calibration disc's menu I had to turn up the brightness to like 85 or 90 before I could see ANY of the brightness bars lighting up. So my question is, which format should I use for this TV? RGB looks WAY more and gives better blacks but I am unable to calibrate the TV using the test discs. What is going on?

It is crushing blacks, you are loosing all that detail to get more punch. Better to have that detail and not worry about that sniper in the shadows than to get shot at from the darkness.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #377 of 2810 Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM

Liked: 13
I can't really notice it crushing details in blacks yet. Dark movies like the Matrix and Se7en look fine to me. I am still testing it though.
post #378 of 2810 Old 06-03-2010, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

I have PN58C550. Anyone else ever get any screen lag/jitter thing? I have been watching the Stanley Cup finals the last week or so and I notice once in awhile that the movement on the guys moving will stop for like a 1/2 second and continue okay. No sound loss or skipping. I only seem to notice it during the hockey games though. Anyone else have this or have an idea what this might be? I re-winded back using my DVR to where it happens but it doesn't happen when I play it back. Weird. Info appreciated. Thanks.
post #379 of 2810 Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post

I have PN58C550. Anyone else ever get any screen lag/jitter thing? I have been watching the Stanley Cup finals the last week or so and I notice once in awhile that the movement on the guys moving will stop for like a 1/2 second and continue okay. No sound loss or skipping. I only seem to notice it during the hockey games though. Anyone else have this or have an idea what this might be? I re-winded back using my DVR to where it happens but it doesn't happen when I play it back. Weird. Info appreciated. Thanks.

Come on Fuzzy, you have to read just a bit... how about the the top of this page?

Al
post #380 of 2810 Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Come on Fuzzy, you have to read just a bit... how about the the top of this page?

LOL. Wow that is bad. Honestly, I read through this entire thread start to finish like a week and a half ago when I ordered the TV Honest. Sorry. That's poor on my part.

Follow ups, what do those settings REALLY do? I don't want stuff modified you know? And how is someone supposed to know the difference between Auto1 and Auto2? Shouldn't Auto just be AUTO!?

If it's just on cable, I really don't care. Cable is a garbage signal to begin with. I haven't really watched a full blu on it yet but if it happens with that I will be annoyed.

Thanks in advance.
post #381 of 2810 Old 06-03-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post

LOL. Wow that is bad. Honestly, I read through this entire thread start to finish like a week and a half ago when I ordered the TV Honest. Sorry. That's poor on my part.

Follow ups, what do those settings REALLY do? I don't want stuff modified you know? And how is someone supposed to know the difference between Auto1 and Auto2? Shouldn't Auto just be AUTO!?

If it's just on cable, I really don't care. Cable is a garbage signal to begin with. I haven't really watched a full blu on it yet but if it happens with that I will be annoyed.

Thanks in advance.

No worries, good of you to take a little jab in the spirit given!

About those settings, I have never seen a product with so many user available settings supplied with a manual that has little or no explanation of what they do, documentation and explanation are not Samsung's strong point that's for sure.

Film Mode (Off/Auto1/Auto2/Cinema Smooth)

As you say: "Auto1 and Auto2? Shouldn't Auto just be AUTO!?", other then 'adjusting the picture for optimum quality' one can only guess what the difference is! The only thing I can gather from the manual is that they deal with interlaced sources.

Where as Cinema Smooth deals only with progressive signals, specifically 1080p 24Hz HDMI. (C590 only)

Al
post #382 of 2810 Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No worries, good of you to take a little jab in the spirit given!

About those settings, I have never seen a product with so many user available settings supplied with a manual that has little or no explanation of what they do, documentation and explanation are not Samsung's strong point that's for sure.

Film Mode (Off/Auto1/Auto2/Cinema Smooth)

As you say: "Auto1 and Auto2? Shouldn't Auto just be AUTO!?", other then 'adjusting the picture for optimum quality' one can only guess what the difference is! The only thing I can gather from the manual is that they deal with interlaced sources.

Where as Cinema Smooth deals only with progressive signals, specifically 1080p 24Hz HDMI. (C590 only)

Interesting. Well maybe given the fact that cable only does 1080i, these film mode settings may help. I just don't want my blu output altered really. Not into that. Hopefully I won't need it when I watch blus. That's all i really care about. I don't expect much from a crappy compressed high def cable connection. Sure the jitters would be nice not to have but I don't expect optimum everything from cable. Not realistic. I'll have to play around. Sounds like others have had some luck with these settings. Funny that they have the problem when watching hockey as well.
post #383 of 2810 Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
In 2007 Samsung's 720p Plasma line all had a motion judder issue where it would skip frames every few seconds, sounds like that problem has returned in some form or another.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #384 of 2810 Old 06-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

My settings..if anyone cares from PN58C550...I'm digging these and I'm usually very picky.

Mode: Standard
Cell Light: 17
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 49
Sharp: 31
Color: 36
Tint: g64/r36
Eco Solution: all Off

Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Native
White Balance: ALL ORIGINAL SETTINGS AT 0
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off

Color Tone: Normal
Size: 16:9
Dig Noise Filter: Off
Mpeg Noise Filter: Off
Film Mode: off
post #385 of 2810 Old 06-04-2010, 04:15 AM

My judder seems to be back with cable no matter what settings i use.
post #386 of 2810 Old 06-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Did you go into the service menu?
post #387 of 2810 Old 06-05-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hduong22 View Post

And this is relevant how?

Al
post #388 of 2810 Old 06-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hduong22 View Post

Nope
post #389 of 2810 Old 06-05-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:

What kind of content are you watching and how often does it occur?
post #390 of 2810 Old 06-05-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip808 View Post

What kind of content are you watching and how often does it occur?

Doesnt happen alot, maybe once a night or even once every two nights, happens on all content (PS3, 360 & Cable)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page