Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzane View Post

Nope. Don't see overscan in native window or Catalyst control cemter.

Help needed

Al, thx for the link. guess i wont b needing settings at least now. should b 100hrs soon. oh have u tried hooking your set to a pc yet?

Go to Catalyst control center- click on graphics- then click on desktops and displays. In the bottom left of the window, where it says "please select a display", right click on the monitor/tv and choose "configure" then go to "scaling options". There is your slider for adjusting overscan. I am using the most recent version of Catalyst, for what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Nope. Don't see overscan in native window or Catalyst control cemter.

Help needed

Al, thx for the link. guess i wont b needing settings at least now. should b 100hrs soon. oh have u tried hooking your set to a pc yet?

Not yet, I have this on my 'to-try' list, the HTPC and the TV are in different rooms...

Al
post #453 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 AM

Calzane,

Too bad the new firmware did not give any noticeable improvement.
Would like to compare with your set since we are from the same region on the following:

i) I'm still trying to self calibrate by eye...Do u experience sometimes on certain astro channels, the is some slight greenish hue on the flesh tone? This normally when im on movie and warm 2 mode.

ii) I got my set with a samsung HTC550 HTiB thrown in....but this set is lousy in terms of performance on DVD upscaling...Dont get this if ur planning to.

iii) I notice u are probably playing pc games on the display...hows the picture quality on games?? Great or not? Any severe IR for gaming?

iv) I notice on the often recommended movie & warm 2 mode, the color is rather too hot or reddish on the set...What mode are u on?

Look forward for ur reply.
post #454 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalFly View Post

Go to Catalyst control center- click on graphics- then click on desktops and displays. In the bottom left of the window, where it says "please select a display", right click on the monitor/tv and choose "configure" then go to "scaling options". There is your slider for adjusting overscan. I am using the most recent version of Catalyst, for what it's worth.

Wow thx alot. Manage to get it to full screen. Additional steps need to b done first.

Go to Catalyst control center- click on graphics- then click on desktops and displays. In the bottom left of the window, where it says "please select a display", right click on the monitor/tv and choose "configure" then go to "Hdtv Support". Select "Add 1080p60 and 1080p24. Then go to "scaling options". There is your slider for adjusting overscan.

Al,
I'm not sure which one is the correct mode. 1080p24 or 1080p25? There's a warning b4 selecting any modes. It's making me abit jumpy.

tcb2010,
i) I still got a little more 'breaking-in' b4 i really use movie mode. warm2 looks ugly for now but it'll get better once it's break-in later. (they say at least 100hrs)

ii) n iii) I'm playing games like batman asylum, mass effect 1&2 from pc and a Wii. I can only say....Sweeeet! but I've stopped gaming after reading i need to break in as I notice the sides bars IR that's causing slight color distortion. Main reason for needing to break in first. Apart frm the sides bars, other IR goes off pretty quick.

iv) Right now all input on standard on slightly darker settings (go back 1 page and u'll see my temp standard settings.

Hope it helps

Never knew i need to do so much reading for a plasma lol
but it's worth it.
post #455 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyemka View Post

I'm noticing some artifacts around the ball while watching the World Cup. It only occurs when the ball has been kicked high in the air and the crowd is in the background. It seems like the TV can't keep up with the ball when in front of the crowd. Everything else looks good.

Anyone else seeing this? Is there a setting to improve this?

I notice this also on my new c540...plus on close-ups where players are moving quickly.
I also notice some boxiness or pixellation on those flashy graphics when they zoom around.....having said that moving 10+ feet away diminishes the effect, but....
was watching bro-in-laws older Sharp Aquos lcd 45" and it was way less noticeable.
Wimbledon today kinda boxy too......
post #456 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow thx alot. Manage to get it to full screen. Additional steps need to b done first.

Go to Catalyst control center- click on graphics- then click on desktops and displays. In the bottom left of the window, where it says "please select a display", right click on the monitor/tv and choose "configure" then go to "Hdtv Support". Select "Add 1080p60 and 1080p24. Then go to "scaling options". There is your slider for adjusting overscan.

Al,
I'm not sure which one is the correct mode. 1080p24 or 1080p25? There's a warning b4 selecting any modes. It's making me abit jumpy.

Never knew i need to do so much reading for a plasma lol
but it's worth it.

The warning was put there because people would do damage to some monitors, most modern monitors(TV's) will protect thenselves and refuse to display an image.

The correct selection for film based movies would be 1080p24, for video presentations 1080p60

Yes, there are so many options available for todays electronics that all of us really need to spend an evening or two and read the manual from cover to cover! I usually download a copy for reference on my daily use PC, and when a question gets posted on the forum I go back and re-read the section(s) that cover it.

Al
post #457 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsprout View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyemka
I'm noticing some artifacts around the ball while watching the World Cup. It only occurs when the ball has been kicked high in the air and the crowd is in the background. It seems like the TV can't keep up with the ball when in front of the crowd. Everything else looks good.

Anyone else seeing this? Is there a setting to improve this?

I notice this also on my new c540...plus on close-ups where players are moving quickly.
I also notice some boxiness or pixellation on those flashy graphics when they zoom around.....having said that moving 10+ feet away diminishes the effect, but....
was watching bro-in-laws older Sharp Aquos lcd 45" and it was way less noticeable.
Wimbledon today kinda boxy too......

You guys sure you are not seeing pixelation within the digital feed from the network itself? These games get up linked through satellite which can cause the blocking you describe...

Al
post #458 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM

Al...

Are we to assume then it's the provider or their signal?..I'm with Shaw satellite.
Would a blu-ray test affirm or deny the motion boxiness?
post #459 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsprout View Post

Al...

Are we to assume then it's the provider or their signal?..I'm with Shaw satellite.
Would a blu-ray test affirm or deny the motion boxiness?

BTW, welcome to the forum!

It is well known that satellite providers apply a lot of compression to signals to help with bandwidth problems when offering so many channels, generally the feed from the network is fine, after that it gets compressed for uplink.

I would suggest watching some high action Blu-rays to see if the same problem exists with the picture, if you still see 'motion boxiness' then it would seem that problem is the TV.

Al
post #460 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 04:56 PM

Yeah, I thought my old LCD had bad movement artifacting when I watched those scenes on planet earth where the whole flock/herd was running across a giant field, but then I got it on blu-ray! It was all Dish Network's compression that I was seeing.
post #461 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 PM

thanks for the welcome Al

just watched Lie to Me on Fox and it was very tight...pixely-wise.
If I had a little gumption I could hookup a line of site HD antennae
here in Toronto...apparently there is an uncompressed freebie signal from the CN tower which is fabulous.
Man was I annoyed though when I saw the bro-in-laws Rogers HD signal was real good...which is mystifying!!
Anyway would be interesting to see who else notices the boxiness with the World Cup
post #462 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

The C550 seems to have much better shadow detail, and the contrast ratio/black measurements are better. But it seems to have some color enhancement built in that makes fleshtones redder if not compensated for. Some people like it, but I didn't. Of course that can be compensated for as I said in the review by notching down the color or turning the fleshtone control toward green, but those solutions are both at least slight compromises. I always thought the B550 had good color. So, I guess a bit of a toss up, but the C550 probably comes out on top.

I recently bought the c550 and was pretty happy with the picture. However, it has a faulty panel and I have to exchange it. The retailer said the c550 is on backorder and will take at least a month to arrive.

They said I can instead swap it for the LG pk550 straight away if I want. I originally chose the Samsung over the LG due to the LG's highly reflective screen (I hate the glossy screen on my laptop).

If I could compare them side by side with the same picture it would be easy to decide one way or the other. However, the shop I purchased from has no interest displaying images properly to make them easy to compare. They display one image via HDMI (60pk550), one via composite! (50c550)and a 3rd set displays standard def digital tv (50pk550). All sets are devoid of even basic calibration.

I suppose the question I'm asking is (in the absence of being able to make personal side by side comparison): If I took the LG pk550 would this be a slight step down in image quality for the same money? Or will the pk550 meet or exceed my image quality expectations in comparison to the Samsung C550?

Please comment. Thanks

By the way, the set is mostly for watching tv and upscaled dvd's
post #463 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plushly View Post

I recently bought the c550 and was pretty happy with the picture. However, it has a faulty panel and I have to exchange it. The retailer said the c550 is on backorder and will take at least a month to arrive.

They said I can instead swap it for the LG pk550 straight away if I want. I originally chose the Samsung over the LG due to the LG's highly reflective screen (I hate the glossy screen on my laptop).

If I could compare them side by side with the same picture it would be easy to decide one way or the other. However, the shop I purchased from has no interest displaying images properly to make them easy to compare. They display one image via HDMI (60pk550), one via composite! (50c550)and a 3rd set displays standard def digital tv (50pk550). All sets are devoid of even basic calibration.

I suppose the question I'm asking is (in the absence of being able to make personal side by side comparison): If I took the LG pk550 would this be a slight step down in image quality for the same money? Or will the pk550 meet or exceed my image quality expectations in comparison to the Samsung C550?

Please comment. Thanks

Go to Sears, they will probably have the C550, PK550 and G20 all next to each other which will make it easy to compare. At least by me that is the case. The best store to make real comparisons IMO.
post #464 of 2810 Old 06-21-2010, 10:49 PM

I'm in a small town in rural Australia. Only the one retailer. No Sears.
post #465 of 2810 Old 06-22-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb2010 View Post

Calzane,

Too bad the new firmware did not give any noticeable improvement.
Would like to compare with your set since we are from the same region on the following:

i) I'm still trying to self calibrate by eye...Do u experience sometimes on certain astro channels, the is some slight greenish hue on the flesh tone? This normally when im on movie and warm 2 mode.

ii) I got my set with a samsung HTC550 HTiB thrown in....but this set is lousy in terms of performance on DVD upscaling...Dont get this if ur planning to.

iii) I notice u are probably playing pc games on the display...hows the picture quality on games?? Great or not? Any severe IR for gaming?

iv) I notice on the often recommended movie & warm 2 mode, the color is rather too hot or reddish on the set...What mode are u on?

Look forward for ur reply.

sounds like you have the same problem as me, yesterday I played a bit with picture settings and noticed that this greenish hue appears more or less everywhere in movie mode and is most visible when colour is set to warm 2. On the other hand dynamic and standard don't have the problem. I wonder if there is maybe a way to adjust movie mode in the service menu. But I'll wait before exploring that option untill burn-in is complete, so far my TV has only 35hrs. Also when comparing standard and movie mode, the latter has much better black levels and colour saturation while keeping shadow details at the same level. I hope it's like Calzane says and the movie mode will improve after burn-in and maybe that greenish hue will go away.
Question though, has anyone found a way to adjust white balance or Tint (G/R) in media player picture options? Would appreciate any feedback.
post #466 of 2810 Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irek View Post

sounds like you have the same problem as me, yesterday I played a bit with picture settings and noticed that this greenish hue appears more or less everywhere in movie mode and is most visible when colour is set to warm 2. On the other hand dynamic and standard don't have the problem. I wonder if there is maybe a way to adjust movie mode in the service menu. But I'll wait before exploring that option untill burn-in is complete, so far my TV has only 35hrs. Also when comparing standard and movie mode, the latter has much better black levels and colour saturation while keeping shadow details at the same level. I hope it's like Calzane says and the movie mode will improve after burn-in and maybe that greenish hue will go away.
Question though, has anyone found a way to adjust white balance or Tint (G/R) in media player picture options? Would appreciate any feedback.

Set your white balance/tint with all your standard/movie/dynamic mode. Then go to media player. Use the P.Mode button on the bottom left of the remote. This should set to the mode u wish for any input channel. I'm staying away from the service menu for now *plasma too new to risk warranty*

Btw how far do u sit to see the greenish hue?
post #467 of 2810 Old 06-22-2010, 07:22 AM

thanks Calzane,
I'll give it a go as soon as I get home. As for the viewing distance it's roughly 10ft (3m). At first I didin't notice the greenish hue, but than I noticed that skin tones are slightly wrong sometimes and when I started paying attention to it I noticed it more often, at closer inspection I could see areas in the picture full of green dots dancing around. The whole thing became very obvious when I tried to pause movies and switch between picture modes. The greenish hue is noticable almost everywhere, only saturated colour don't seem to be affected, like white or black or very strong red or blue. I think it might be a problem with greyscale, I suspect it introduces some green when it's combined with other colours to make them less saturated, A good example is the scrolling function that removes afterimages. It goes from black to white through shades of gray and I can see that there is some green hue in the middle but none where the picture is more white or black. I'll try tonight to play with white balance/tint to see if it has any effect and will report back my findings.
post #468 of 2810 Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 AM

As for case, the greenish and slightly yellowish hue in on the human flesh tone on certain channels..mostly SD channels.
post #469 of 2810 Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

As for case, the greenish and slightly yellowish hue in on the human flesh tone on certain channels..mostly SD channels.

Yeah I have this as well on my FIOS HD Channels. Yellowish/darkish hue. Sucks. I chalk it up to crappy cable. Nothing you can really do about it I don't think. Doesn't really bother me given how bad cable is.
post #470 of 2810 Old 06-22-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post

Yeah I have this as well on my FIOS HD Channels. Yellowish/darkish hue. Sucks. I chalk it up to crappy cable. Nothing you can really do about it I don't think. Doesn't really bother me given how bad cable is.

FuzzyReets,

do you notice any hue when you run the scrolling pattern to clear afterimages?
post #471 of 2810 Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irek View Post

FuzzyReets,

do you notice any hue when you run the scrolling pattern to clear afterimages?

Nope. The only time I notice that color problem is when watching movies on FiOS. Scrolling looks fine. Does yours have a hue during scrolling?
post #472 of 2810 Old 06-22-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:

Anyone know what the screws above and below the wall mount screwholes are for? They are kind of in my way. Manual says "Unscrew the hole around before installing Wall-Mount on the wall." NICE WORDING OF WHATEVER THAT MEANS. I don't know if that means I can take this screw out if I'm wall mounting or what. If anyone knows the purpose of this screw, I'd appreciate it. Really irritating spot. WTF.

Did you ever get an answer whether it's OK to remove these adjacent screws before installing the wall-mount brackets? I agree, the wording is terrible, and I've not found any useful clarification by Googling the phrase, "unscrew the hole around before installing wall-mount".
post #473 of 2810 Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhl View Post

Did you ever get an answer whether it's OK to remove these adjacent screws before installing the wall-mount brackets? I agree, the wording is terrible, and I've not found any useful clarification by Googling the phrase, "unscrew the hole around before installing wall-mount".

Yeah that was very strange wording, I gave up figuring out what they meant...

Lucky for me the Kanto mount I chose had holes at the same spacing so I could just leave them in.

I planned it that way! (yeah right!)

Al
post #474 of 2810 Old 06-23-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Nope. The only time I notice that color problem is when watching movies on FiOS. Scrolling looks fine. Does yours have a hue during scrolling?

when picture is set to movie and colout to warm2 it's very noticable, a bit less when i change the colour, in dynamic and standard I don't see any greenish hue but it's still quite grainy in the middle. So far I haven't found anything that would have any effect on the greenish hue. I slowly begging to suspect that it's a faulty display, looks like I'll have to send it back.
post #475 of 2810 Old 06-23-2010, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhl View Post

Official word from Samsung is that you can't remove those screws. Probably BS but who knows. Didn't feel like messing around with something that expensive. I used a drill press to widen the holes on my mount above it where that screw was having a problem so now all is well. Good luck to you! I swear they just put those screws there so the majority of third party mounts don't work.
post #476 of 2810 Old 06-23-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by plushly View Post

Please comment. Thanks

If it is calibrated to it's fullest potential, the only major downside to the PK550 is its relatively poor performance in bright living rooms.

ISF/THX calibrator, HDTVbyChadB
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:
Sony 65X950BLG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300
post #477 of 2810 Old 06-23-2010, 12:32 PM

Hey guys,

I currently have Panny TC-58PS1 and it is suffering from the IR and black level problem. I have been researching its replacement and have narrowed it down to the Sammy 58c550 or the LG 55LE5400 LED.

I game heavily and was curious about the Sammy IR and if it was a problem for heavy gamers like my self. I have heard these have buzzing problems to and wondering how much of an issue that is for someone with an high end surround sound.

Any other info or caveats about either tv if you know em would be great.

Thanks,
Dean
post #478 of 2810 Old 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TCB...try bumping up your gamma one or two settings....seems to really help the yellowish hue thing. Anyone understand how gamma is different than brightness? Thanks.
post #479 of 2810 Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TCB...try bumping up your gamma one or two settings....seems to really help the yellowish hue thing. Anyone understand how gamma is different than brightness? Thanks.

Gamma has to do with the grayscale and relates to the brightness of white only, where as color brightness relates to primary/secondary color accuracy.

When gamma is set to high this increases contrast and diminishes shadow detail, too low and black levels become elevated and image depth (and contrast) will suffer.

Al
post #480 of 2810 Old 06-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Gamma has to do with the grayscale and relates to the brightness of white only, where as color brightness relates to primary/secondary color accuracy.

When gamma is set to high this increases contrast and diminishes shadow detail, too low and black levels become elevated and image depth (and contrast) will suffer.

OKay. Thanks. Seemed to help a little bit but has some ill effects.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page