Samsung PNXXc550 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 2810 Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RIPFUBAR,

I think you WILL notice the black level rise (if it happens to you) when you are watching movies in a dark room. The loss of shadow detail will be your first clue. I think with proper break-in and calibration, this set will be just as good, if not better in some respects, than the Panasonic. All you have to do is go over to their thread to see the issues they are having with their sets. It comes down to choosing what nuance issues you can/cannot deal with, because NONE of the sets on the market today are 100% where they should be.

I really wish they would have continued to work on making tube displays thinner and lighter. I long for the day of displays without some inherent flaw that will bug the crap out of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2810 Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 PM

Thanks Trakatak,

I have been reading most of the display panel threads and from what I gather all of the pannys will have a black level rise it's just a function of time (use) but like someone wrote earlier I think some may be a little too sensitive ( assuming it's minor ) hell I bet if half these people didn't have measuring equipment they wouldn't have noticed....not busting on anyone as it's my own pursuit of a great picture that ruined my RPT while leaping before looking into the service menu.

That being said black level is one of the most important for me as most of my viewing is movies and games and especially in games the lack of shadow detail is intolerable so I'm sure I'd be pissed if it got that noticeable heck that's why I gave up on the other TV and got this plasma.

I cannot understand why any panel maker creates a wall mounted unit that doesn't have a completely symmetrical bezel it just annoys me with my older panny it looks like it's wearing a loaded diaper. Pioneer never went that way and Sammy has just come back to it so if it can achieve and maintain a great picture and match my aesthetic then I should be happy...hmm

Rip
post #903 of 2810 Old 08-20-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakez View Post

@Abful: How is the gaming on the Xbox360 on your TV, are you satisfied or still troubling with some lag as spoken off in this topic before?

Had it for about two weeks. mostly I have been playing RPG's, and am satisfied, but I have not played any games where lag was an issue sorry.
post #904 of 2810 Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAKATAK View Post

Here is an interesting note for the break-in process. I downloaded both popular sets of break-in images from AVSforum and regardless of which I use, the MediaPlay feature will either have the images set 2 pixels or 5 pixels low.

Finally figured this mystery out. The pixel shift was on. The USB input does indeed play files without using the top 2 rows of pixels regardless of what you do though. Nothing I can do about that.

36 hours of break-in down.....??? to go.
post #905 of 2810 Old 08-20-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccis View Post

But any ideas about these horizontal bars running across the center? Most visible when showing bright content.

hxxp://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o146/coccis/P8090115.jpg

Otherwise I really like the PQ, only notice some tearing in a few scenes.
I can live with the buzz but those bars are slightly disturbing.. Set is ~1 week old.

Any update on this? Did you have any luck with Samsung? Mine suffers from the same problem.
post #906 of 2810 Old 08-20-2010, 01:57 PM

What's up everyone, I also have the c550 plasma, and like it a lot. However, has anyone noticed that in movie mode the black levels are a lot better than standard or dynamic, but it looks a lot darker, which makes you miss detail in movies like The Dark Night in dark scenes or anything you watch. I was watching the dark night, and it was annoying seeing it was too dark in a lot of scenes, and when changing to standard or dynamic, you could see thing better because it was brighter. Does anyone have have this problem, or is it just my TV. Also, I can't find game mode for games, and in many websites it states it has game mode.
post #907 of 2810 Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 PM

Just raise the gamma to +1. That should help improve shadow detail a bit.
post #908 of 2810 Old 08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanewGuy View Post

What's up everyone, I also have the c550 plasma, and like it a lot. However, has anyone noticed that in movie mode the black levels are a lot better than standard or dynamic, but it looks a lot darker, which makes you miss detail in movies like The Dark Night in dark scenes or anything you watch. I was watching the dark night, and it was annoying seeing it was too dark in a lot of scenes, and when changing to standard or dynamic, you could see thing better because it was brighter. Does anyone have have this problem, or is it just my TV. Also, I can't find game mode for games, and in many websites it states it has game mode.

If the black levels are better (lower) then shadow detail has the potential to be better than Standard or Dynamic modes. I think you need to make some adjustments if blacks are crushing in Movie and not Dynamic. If the brightness is turned to far down, blacks will crush, but be dark/deep. Brightness to high and the blacks will wash.

Unless by "detail" you don't mean in dark scenes, rather the light scenes are to dark and missing detail, then I'd think maybe contrast / cell light need to be increased. All three of those settings play off each other.

No chance there is more detail on Dynamic mode than Movie, unless of course the sun is shining directly at the screen in full force. Then maybe Dynamic would offer a better pic.

FYI, Dark Night is notorious for making sets look bad due to shadow detail Saw it in the theatre and then at home on my old LCD. Not even the same movie.
post #909 of 2810 Old 08-20-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

If the black levels are better (lower) then shadow detail has the potential to be better than Standard or Dynamic modes. I think you need to make some adjustments if blacks are crushing in Movie and not Dynamic. If the brightness is turned to far down, blacks will crush, but be dark/deep. Brightness to high and the blacks will wash.

Unless by "detail" you don't mean in dark scenes, rather the light scenes are to dark and missing detail, then I'd think maybe contrast / cell light need to be increased. All three of those settings play off each other.

No chance there is more detail on Dynamic mode than Movie, unless of course the sun is shining directly at the screen in full force. Then maybe Dynamic would offer a better pic.

FYI, Dark Night is notorious for making sets look bad due to shadow detail Saw it in the theatre and then at home on my old LCD. Not even the same movie.

Yea increasing cell light made things a lot better, but for some reason still seemed darker in dark scenes than in standard or dynamic(but it probably is just the movie like you said, and I'm might just be used to brighter), and brighter scenes are no problem.

But I still wonder where is the game mode in this TV? Or does it suppose to not have it?
post #910 of 2810 Old 08-21-2010, 09:14 AM

I either have really bad luck or Samsung Plasma's must be the worst TV out there. Just got another nice black horizontal line going through the TV. This will be the second time they will be coming out to fix this BRAND NEW UNIT!!

post #911 of 2810 Old 08-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanewGuy View Post

Yea increasing cell light made things a lot better, but for some reason still seemed darker in dark scenes than in standard or dynamic(but it probably is just the movie like you said, and I'm might just be used to brighter), and brighter scenes are no problem.

But I still wonder where is the game mode in this TV? Or does it suppose to not have it?

Game mode is under one of the other main settings menus. Can't think of it at the moment but that's where it is.
post #912 of 2810 Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 AM

to find game mode on the 7 and 8 series you go to set up and select general, i would guess it is the same on the 5 series, assuming they have game mode.
post #913 of 2810 Old 08-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Di7

Guys if I change my c550 to c590 thought service menu my black levels will rise? And if I change back to c550 again - in case of black levels rise - they will stay in normal levels again?

Thanks.

PS: Anyone knows any advanced calibration to adjust the white levels in service menu that improves the quality of C550?
post #914 of 2810 Old 08-21-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di7 View Post

Guys if I change my c550 to c590 thought service menu my black levels will rise? And if I change back to c550 again - in case of black levels rise - they will stay in normal levels again?

Thanks.

PS: Anyone knows any advanced calibration to adjust the white levels in service menu that improves the quality of C550?

What causes the black levels to rise is the use of Cinema Smooth, if you turn this feature off you shouldn't experience any difference in performance (black level) then when the TV was set as a C550. Logic dictates that if you return the set to a C550 (CS disabled) then the black levels will be what they were before you started.

Al
post #915 of 2810 Old 08-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Di7

Thanks Al Sherwood.
post #916 of 2810 Old 08-21-2010, 07:13 PM

hey guys few questions... can this samsung play .MKVs 720p videos through the USB port?

also what format does the usb port has to be FORMATTED? (i.e. NTFS, FAT32 etc)
post #917 of 2810 Old 08-21-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darshan_4 View Post

hey guys few questions... can this samsung play .MKVs 720p videos through the USB port?

also what format does the usb port has to be FORMATTED? (i.e. NTFS, FAT32 etc)

Yes MKV's at 720 p are supported, in fact so are 1080p! Just remember that the audio files within the container must conform to the following standards:

Quote:

MP3 / AC3 / LPCM /
ADPCM / DTS Core

As for the format of a USB attached device either flash memory or HDD:

Quote:

✎Need-to-Know List before using Media Play (USB)
xxMTP (Media Transfer Protocol) is not supported.
xx The file system supports FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.
xx Certain types of USB Digital camera and audio devices may not be compatible with this TV.
xxMedia Play only supports USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) devices. MSC is a Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only
Transport device. Examples of MSC are Thumb drives, Flash Card Readers and USB HDD (USB HUB are not
supported). Devices should be connected directly to the TV's USB port.

Al
post #918 of 2810 Old 08-21-2010, 11:53 PM

I can't believe movie mode has the most realistic picture. Seems like you lose so much color in this mode, but then again I definitely have untrained eyes. I know dynamic is the worst mode, but to me the colors appear to be so much more realistic. I'm a noob.

Is there a way to check how many hours have been logged on this set?
post #919 of 2810 Old 08-22-2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinwdm View Post

I can't believe movie mode has the most realistic picture. Seems like you lose so much color in this mode, but then again I definitely have untrained eyes. I know dynamic is the worst mode, but to me the colors appear to be so much more realistic. I'm a noob.

I was on the same boat as you, Dynamic has better colors but its too bright, so I used Movie Mode and made the color 63 adjusted some other stuff, and the colors look as good as Dynamic Mode.
post #920 of 2810 Old 08-22-2010, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

See my comment for abful below, personal preference it OK!

Quote:

The only way I know of is from within the service menu, bummer that it resets everything to factory each time you exit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abful View Post

I was on the same boat as you, Dynamic has better colors but its too bright, so I used Movie Mode and made the color 63 adjusted some other stuff, and the colors look as good as Dynamic Mode.

Yes, movies mode is the most accurate out of the box, but hey don't worry you just prefer a more colour saturated picture...

Al
post #921 of 2810 Old 08-22-2010, 07:58 AM

I just purchased a new PN63c550 from BB and am wondering a few things.....any help would be greatly appreciated!! Break In....whats the deal?? The manual doesn't say anything about it so I am curious if I need to change setting or buy a break in disk....I pulled it out of the box last night and ran it for 5 or 6 hours in dynamic mode not realizing that I could have potentially damaged my unit!! What settings are you guys running at now that you have broken yours in and where did you run them to break them in??

thanks in advance for all your help!!

-ED
post #922 of 2810 Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 PM

OffroadLTZ,

Congrats on the purchase. Break in is recommended by some if you will be watching a lot of 4:3 or letterbox content right out of the box. Today's plasmas are MUCH more resistant to image retention (IR) or burn-in. The latter would take some pretty serious abuse to make it happen. Break-in allows you to watch 4:3 and letterbox with less concern for IR earlier in your viewing time than you otherwise would be able to do. Some here will say it is a waste of time, some will say otherwise. Any way you go, if you are comfortable with it, screw what anyone else says to the contrary.

Just finishing up with my initial break-in tonight on my 63c590. I will finally be retiring the 58" HP DLP after 5 years of use. I will have just at 100 hours on the break-in, running it non-stop in my formal living room. I used 48 hours of the standard safe approach to break in. That means cell light, contrast, and brightness were all at 50 percent peak levels. After confirming that the USB break-in will run non-stop without issue, I went "torch" with all the previous settings maxed out. I will continue to run the USB break in on torch setting when the TV is not in use until I get about 500 hours of break in complete. After that, I doubt IR will be much of a concern/issue.

As for post-break in settings, search this thread for "settings" and you will find what you need.
post #923 of 2810 Old 08-22-2010, 04:22 PM

Just got my pn58c550 in today.
Trying to break it in however I do not see any settings to Change the slide show so it does not show a black screen between each image. Using the 120 image break in images.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can get it to not do that?
post #924 of 2810 Old 08-22-2010, 05:33 PM

Yea just cause vivid isnt "accurate" dont let that stop you from using it. When it comes to aspect ratio and cadence im a purist but brightness and color are subjective to me. Imo the movie setting on most plasmas is downright unwatchable. Maybe ive been spoiled by the brightness of lcd's but i can barely even see the picture on movie setting. On the other hand my friend cant stand a bright picture. It really is all subjective. Id have an lcd myself it wasnt for the terrible image processing (again my opinion). Ive actually had an lcd set on vivid for two years. So my recent move to plasma has been a bit underwhelming due to the sheer lack of pop. But i cant deny bluray clarity on a plasma blows away the blur of lcd's. And of course the black levels are leagues ahead providing more depth.
post #925 of 2810 Old 08-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UllSang View Post

Just got my pn58c550 in today.
Trying to break it in however I do not see any settings to Change the slide show so it does not show a black screen between each image. Using the 120 image break in images.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can get it to not do that?

Use the DVD version of the break in disk. This is what I did. No problems at all.
post #926 of 2810 Old 08-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb182 View Post

Yea just cause vivid isnt "accurate" dont let that stop you from using it. When it comes to aspect ratio and cadence im a purist but brightness and color are subjective to me. Imo the movie setting on most plasmas is downright unwatchable. Maybe ive been spoiled by the brightness of lcd's but i can barely even see the picture on movie setting. On the other hand my friend cant stand a bright picture. It really is all subjective. Id have an lcd myself it wasnt for the terrible image processing (again my opinion). Ive actually had an lcd set on vivid for two years. So my recent move to plasma has been a bit underwhelming due to the sheer lack of pop. But i cant deny bluray clarity on a plasma blows away the blur of lcd's. And of course the black levels are leagues ahead providing more depth.

I definitely can understand where you are coming from. My first HDTV was an LCD and I definitely had a problem adjusting to the Plasma's lack thereof. It definiteiy will take time to adjust to the different TV. I'm sure you can look back through my posts in this thread over the last few months where I was in the same situation. Since then, I've read all about calibration, bought a colorimeter and learned how to use that and did my own calibrating. Believe me I am no expert but it definitely made me understand more about why the settings are supposed to be what they are when they are calibrated, brightness, contrast, all that stuff. After I first did a few initial calibrations I couldn't believe how bad it looked to my eyes. I would bump things up back to the way I had them and then slowly over weeks I would bring things down and start to realize that it did indeed look better with the calibrated settings. Things that are too bright and washed out now bother me instead of the opposite. It definitely takes time to adjust which I can tell you from experience.

That being said, if you aren't interested in that and you are happy with what you are seeing, leave it as is. You'll probably have a lot less headaches about it then I did If what you see is pleasing to your eye, just go with it. If you desire to learn more go for it. You may be surprised at what you end up liking. Your eyes are used to the LCD flare at this point as mine were which is hard to change. But remember, you don't have to just because it's "correct" or "calibrated".
post #927 of 2810 Old 08-22-2010, 11:32 PM

Mine buzzes /cry
post #928 of 2810 Old 08-23-2010, 06:44 AM

Hi, i bought a 50c550 ten days ago and since then its been doing some kind of brightness adjustment by itself during some scenes, regardless if its sd or hd content. Eco settings are off and cant find out what causes this. it is very random and happens very quickly. Anyone else noticed this?

The top problem wasnt so bad since it wasnt happening often but since yesterday also there is a horizontal stripe more less 10-15 cm from the top of the screen, which looks brighter than rest of the screeen. But this is only noticable when showing a light image, for example sky or clouds. Stripe is around 3-4cm in thickness. Its always there, doesnt move up or down, doesnt get bigger or smaller. It makes it very irritating for me to watch the tv But interestingly my wife could only notice after i showed the exact position of it. So its not very visible but its always there. What can this be? Is this a faulty panel i have now?

thanks
post #929 of 2810 Old 08-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyazit View Post

Hi, i bought a 50c550 ten days ago and since then its been doing some kind of brightness adjustment by itself during some scenes, regardless if its sd or hd content. Eco settings are off and cant find out what causes this. it is very random and happens very quickly. Anyone else noticed this?

The top problem wasnt so bad since it wasnt happening often but since yesterday also there is a horizontal stripe more less 10-15 cm from the top of the screen, which looks brighter than rest of the screeen. But this is only noticable when showing a light image, for example sky or clouds. Stripe is around 3-4cm in thickness. Its always there, doesnt move up or down, doesnt get bigger or smaller. It makes it very irritating for me to watch the tv But interestingly my wife could only notice after i showed the exact position of it. So its not very visible but its always there. What can this be? Is this a faulty panel i have now?

thanks

Return it. No point in trying to figure that out. Sounds defective.
post #930 of 2810 Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 AM

Samsung service is coming to check it, probably will get another one of the same tv if they cant fix it. Unfortunately the retailer i bought doesnt take it or change it after a week. They say Samsung service has to check it first and decide if its fixable or not. I wish i had the option of returning. But i dont really want to go through the same searching process for a tv again. Anyway im wondering if anyone had these problems and if they can guide me a bit? Bytheway im in South Africa.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page