post #91 of 2810 Old 04-20-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCurro View Post

Use the google translator, the no english speakers have to use it all time.

Very cool, never tried that before, works pretty well too! Thanks.

BTW, I couldn't quite figure what all the legal stuff at the beginning, was somebody trying to get a refund or a replacement set?

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2810 Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Very cool, never tried that before, works pretty well too! Thanks.

BTW, I couldn't quite figure what all the legal stuff at the beginning, was somebody trying to get a refund or a replacement set?

Yes somebody it's me. The post is quite old and I actualize it continuesly.

Here in Spain you have 7 days to return the product, if you have a problem later then you must repair it, if it is impossible (B550 flicker problems) then they have to give you another model, and they give me C550 that is cheaper and worse than B550. They dont return me the decrease price. The seller is "El Corte Ingles" the biggest seller in Spain... The crisis affect every body, also the Corte Ingles...
post #93 of 2810 Old 04-20-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes somebody it's me. The post is quite old and I actualize it continuesly.

Here in Spain you have 7 days to return the product, if you have a problem later then you must repair it, if it is impossible (B550 flicker problems) then they have to give you another model, and they give me C550 that is cheaper and worse than B550. They dont return me the decrease price. The seller is "El Corte Ingles" the biggest seller in Spain... The crisis affect every body, also the Corte Ingles...

I see, sorry to hear about the problems with your B550.

As for the C550 being worse, I hope you mean as in lacking some of the features of the B550?

Everybody who has bought a C550 has been quite happy with it from what I can tell.

Al
post #94 of 2810 Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:

I see, sorry to hear about the problems with your B550.

As for the C550 being worse, I hope you mean as in lacking some of the features of the B550?

Everybody who has bought a C550 has been quite happy with it from what I can tell.

No features lacking (you can change the model to C590 to get B550 features) is the image quality and the colour accuracy.
post #95 of 2810 Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 PM

when you change the model number does the cinema smooth actually work? is it the actual real feature? that would be awesome..because i saw a 46" lcd that was soo smooth and fluid with the blu-ray video..i asked the chick at best buy about it and she just said it was because of the blu-ray it was so smooth but i think the lcd had 24p cinema smooth..also if i change the model number and have it calibrated while its in 590 will i lose my calibration settings if i have to change it back to 550 for any reason or will it be able to keep up with all of the settings for each model number? (what is the best model to change it to? 560 or 590?)
post #96 of 2810 Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 AM

I got this set yesterday, my first plasma purchase. I have read conflicting reports as to a break in period on the newer plasmas.. what do you guys recommend as far as break in settings and timeframe?

I watched Lost and V last night on factory settings, comcast HD with component cables, and I wasn't disappointed one bit.
post #97 of 2810 Old 04-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Hi,
I recently had this tv delivered, and am happy with the black quality, and overall build. One worry I have got though is it seems there is a green tint to the dark grey shadowing on the picture e.g a shadow on a persons facehas a greenish tint to it, whereas rest of picture looks normal. I am concerned I have got a faulty set, or whether it is a failing of this set in general, and have done a basic calibration, and then when that did not help followed supercurros kind calibration info from the other site. Has anyone got any ideas on this. Any help will be greatly appreciated
post #98 of 2810 Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM

im trying to decide between th 58" c550 and the 46" ln46c670, the lcd..the lcd looks soo much better than the 590 to me. the motion is sooo smooth, i dont know whats causing this but it is much better than the plasma..the blacks look blacker and the tv is alot less grainy =\\ i didnt want to get another lcd because the old westinghouse one i got back in 2007 is kindof crappy but this samsung lcd blew me away..
post #99 of 2810 Old 04-21-2010, 07:02 PM

for those of you who have a pn58c550, how are the black levels compared to last years models?
post #100 of 2810 Old 04-21-2010, 10:28 PM

To all of you who are asking for calibration settings... there is no such thing. Every TV is different and needs to be (or should be) calibrated individually. A trained ISF calibrator with all the right equipment could calibrate 10 sets of the same model and each one would have different final settings.

If you can't afford or don't want to pay for a proper calibration (I don't blame you - I don't either) then just get a good calibration disc (HD DVE, for example) and do your best with that. Messing with gray scale settings and gamma could just screw the picture up if you don't have the right analysis tools, & using the gray scale settings from another TV (even the same model) could result in a WORSE picture than what you started with.

There are options though. If you read around AVS and other sites enough there's a lot of info about how to tweak the gray scale of a TV by your self. But it's not easy. There are also some relatively inexpensive colorimeters out there to buy. I know people who've gone in together and share ownership of one... mailing it around the country whenever someone in the group buys a new TV.

Anyway, I just wanted to provide that FYI. Stop looking for calibration numbers & just DIY. Every TV enthusiast on this site should own something like HD Avia or HD DVE anyway. I think it's actually a law or something.... ;-)

post #101 of 2810 Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 AM

What is the difference between the pn50c550 and the pn50c530?

And is there any anti-glare filter on these screens?
post #102 of 2810 Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 AM

Could you please pass the TEST to your PS50C550 Plasma TVs and tell us if your TVs has the brightness problem (if the black level changes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPJMQV0Gqis

or download here

You can surf over internet and look for the effects:

An example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rmAqmXV-iQ
post #103 of 2810 Old 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Just got upgraded to this set from Samsung due to an issue with my 2008 model.. I am not a super duper AV/audiophile. I just would like to enter S/M and upgrade to 590 to get other functions like Cinema Smooth. How do I enter S/M and enable everything? Is this reversible if I need a service tech to come out? Also what are some good break in settings and post break in settings? I don't need someone out to come to my house with color meters or whatever the hell, just what everyone else is using. Thanks a bunch! Will let you guys know.. Set will be delivered soon.
post #104 of 2810 Old 04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could you please pass the TEST to your PS50C550 Plasma TVs and tell us if your TVs has the brightness problem (if the black level changes).

I have not noticed this problem on the PN58C550 I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDudeWayne View Post

Just got upgraded to this set from Samsung due to an issue with my 2008 model.. I am not a super duper AV/audiophile. I just would like to enter S/M and upgrade to 590 to get other functions like Cinema Smooth. How do I enter S/M and enable everything? Is this reversible if I need a service tech to come out? Also what are some good break in settings and post break in settings? I don't need someone out to come to my house with color meters or whatever the hell, just what everyone else is using. Thanks a bunch! Will let you guys know.. Set will be delivered soon.

Take a read here, should answer your questions...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175569

Al
post #105 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
These sets have an infinite black that is instant on if that is what people are noticing. (If the set recieves a 100% black image it shuts the screen off, it turns it back on about 1 frame before a new image comes on. (if the signal is 100% black it can cause it to rappidly kick on and off for some odd reason that I haven't been able to figure out, it is very annoying on my 50c450)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #106 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

These sets have an infinite black that is instant on if that is what people are noticing. (If the set recieves a 100% black image it shuts the screen off, it turns it back on about 1 frame before a new image comes on. (if the signal is 100% black it can cause it to rappidly kick on and off for some odd reason that I haven't been able to figure out, it is very annoying on my 50c450)

Interesting, do you know a set of scenes in a movie that can show this in action?

Al
post #107 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:

Interesting, do you know a set of scenes in a movie that can show this in action?

I haven't been able to reproduce it 100% as it seems random, but the startup of Final Fantasy XIII on the PS3 shows it pretty well if your set is set up properly. (if you are crushing blacks, then it will stay black, if you are over brightening shadow details then it will never dim, just right and it will flicker between the off state and the grey black ready state several times in a few seconds)
Cars showed it a few times last night during the intro so that might be a good place to start in a movie.

It is most noticable in a very dark room.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #108 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I haven't been able to reproduce it 100% as it seems random, but the startup of Final Fantasy XIII on the PS3 shows it pretty well if your set is set up properly. (if you are crushing blacks, then it will stay black, if you are over brightening shadow details then it will never dim, just right and it will flicker between the off state and the grey black ready state several times in a few seconds)
Cars showed it a few times last night during the intro so that might be a good place to start in a movie.

Pen is right, its most noticeable in a very dark room as blacks look deeper during the day/ambient light so its harder to notice when the screen goes completely black. I notice it on Blu-rays when a scene starts to fade out to another scene...and I also notice right before the commercial break for some TV shows. I haven't been able to disable it, as I found that no matter my brightness settings it will still shut off when the screen/scene goes completely black. It is annoying in a dark room at times, but I noticed that it doesn't cut content.
post #109 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I get the idea, I will keep an eye out for this.. but maybe unless we can't control it I actually don't want to keep an eye out for it!

I have always read when you watch a viewing device that produces the light being viewed (projectors are the exception), that you never want the room to be totally dark, in fact acording the some calibration DVD's they recommend a small amount of light 'behind' the TV (D6500K) to prevent eye strain...

But it is interesting that the manufacturers use all sorts of techniques to get the MAXIMUM contrast level number as large as possible...

Al
post #110 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Hello,

I picked up a Samsung PN50C550 a couple of weeks ago. In general I am happy with it, but I wanted to ask about the green dots.

I have done some internet research on the subject, but would like to hear what other owners of the same panel have to say. When you are looking at a screen with a lot of dark color, do you see green dots?

I usually don't notice them. Both times I have noticed have been in the same circumstances: I finish a Left 4 Dead campaign; after the stats roll, the screen goes to a dark color. At this point, I notice that the screen looks very grainy or noisy. A close inspection reveals that the screen is covered in little green dots.

I should mention that my wife never notices this (of course).

Some possibilities:

I am over-scrutinizing; this is normal; I shouldn't be looking so closely at the TV anyway.

This is a configuration issue. I need to play with the settings some more.

Something is indeed wrong with the panel.

Thanks for you thoughts!
shawn
post #111 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM

Just received my 50C550 today from Amazon. No humming noise (as has been reported with Samsung plasmas), and no dead pixels. Very pleased with the TV so far. Breaking it in with lowered contrast/brightness settings on HBOHD with it zoomed in so the screen is full (no bars). Couldn't be happier with it after first impressions.
post #112 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodosForPrez View Post

Just received my 50C550 today from Amazon. No humming noise (as has been reported with Samsung plasmas)

May I ask about the hum/buzz?

My PN50C550 has a buzz when you are up close to the panel. I have read plenty of commentary that says the buzz is typical of Samsung plasmas of this size. I have also read plenty of posts claiming to have no buzz or hum at all. On the one hand, I am having a hard time believing these posters. On the other hand, if my panel is defective I want to get it fixed.

There seem to be members here who really know Samsung plasmas. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
shawn
post #113 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 12:53 PM

FIX?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1232338&page=3

Anyone tried this fix?

"A user in our forums has reported that Samsung has now resolved the buzzing issues on the B850 / B860 plasma-TV. The buzzing is not caused by the power supply, like first assumed, but from the plastic on the back of the screen that is too thin causing it to resonance. The buzzing can be resolved by adding small rubber thingies on the back of the TV."

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1246822649
post #114 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRANONI View Post

FIX?

Anyone tried this fix?

"A user in our forums has reported that Samsung has now resolved the buzzing issues on the B850 / B860 plasma-TV. The buzzing is not caused by the power supply, like first assumed, but from the plastic on the back of the screen that is too thin causing it to resonance. The buzzing can be resolved by adding small rubber thingies on the back of the TV."

hxxp://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?misc=search&subaction=showfull&id=1246822649

I have a few squares of dynamat, if I could figure out where to put them I might be able to test this fix.
post #115 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRANONI View Post

Thank you for the response and information. This is interesting as I have read claims that pressing on the back of the panel quiets the buzz. I have not yet tried this myself. I'll feel around when I get home from work this evening and report back.

Thanks!
post #116 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboles View Post

My PN50C550 has a buzz when you are up close to the panel. I have read plenty of commentary that says the buzz is typical of Samsung plasmas of this size. I have also read plenty of posts claiming to have no buzz or hum at all. On the one hand, I am having a hard time believing these posters. On the other hand, if my panel is defective I want to get it fixed.

Thanks,
shawn

Maybe I just got lucky. All I know is that my other electronics are louder than the TV (PS3 for sure, and possibly my DirecTV DVR as well). There is a very quiet hum, but no louder than with other TVs. The widely reported hum is supposed to be very audible sitting 10 feet in front of the TV -- mine definitely does not have that problem so far. My wife doesn't hear anything either. I have no agenda here. People seem concerned about the hum. I'm just reporting that in my case, there is no hum to speak of with the 50C550. Maybe my case is atypical.
post #117 of 2810 Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboles View Post

Thanks,
shawn

Going on reports from the very extensive "buzz" thread...if you have to get close to the tv to hear a buzz, then you don't have the problem others were reporting.
post #118 of 2810 Old 04-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceUppercut82 View Post

I have a few squares of dynamat, if I could figure out where to put them I might be able to test this fix.

I was thinking of doing this as well. I'd think sticking them as close to the ventalation holes w/o covering them up. I was looking into that sound dampening spray, personally. Take off the back panel, spray, allow to dry, re-attach.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #119 of 2810 Old 04-28-2010, 07:25 AM

That's a good idea as well. If you try it out let us know.
post #120 of 2810 Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 PM

Just received my 50C550 today. No BUZZING, all I can here is the sweet HUMMING sound from my Samsung Note Book while typing this message. Knock on wood.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page