post #2401 of 2810 Old 02-26-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxjnorto View Post

Very cool. I wonder how it arrived so fast? I would have thought that they would arrive on a container ship from S. Korea.

Although it is true that Samsung is located in South Korea...

They have a plasma manufacturing facility in Mexico, if you check the label on the back it will confirm this.

Mine was made in Tijuana Mexico! Ole!

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2810 Old 02-26-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

They have a plasma manufacturing facility in Mexico, if you check the label on the back it will confirm this.

Yep, It was Mexico! Really linking this tv. Seems well made. Picture keeps getting better with each passing hour.
post #2403 of 2810 Old 02-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

It would be interesting to see this unit built from square one, step by step. Ours is also from Tijuana, MX. I believe all the main components are pre-made in Korea and shipped to Mexico for the final assembly?(or not?). We have the pn50c550.
post #2404 of 2810 Old 02-27-2011, 04:02 AM

So I recently purchased a PN58C550 and I've noticed a slight issue.

If you put up an all black screen, about half way across there is a roughly 3 inch wide strip that runs from top to bottom that is very slightly darker than the rest of the screen.

Is this something that will fade in time or did I get a lemon?
post #2405 of 2810 Old 02-27-2011, 01:17 PM

Hey guys ,

I have a Sammy 550.

I can't seem to get a good standard/dynamic settings . I see allot of movie mode settings on the site . However my living room is well lit , so the movie mode is far too dark (tried maxing out brightness and cell light)

Please advise.

Thank you greatly
post #2406 of 2810 Old 02-27-2011, 02:52 PM

Hello everyone here. Have had a 58C550 since September and have noticed a couple issues lately that I don't know if I just never noticed or popped up recently. First off I've noticed some uneven whites across the whole screen. I popped in the Test Pattern DVD and did an all white pattern and noticed bars of darker white, almost grey, cross the whole screen. Tried to get a good picture of it but was unable to get a concise picture with my camera. I've always noticed line bleeding with close captioning but this is a different issue.

Also, have noticed with skin tones and lighter colors a more pronounced yellow contrasting quite a bit. Messed with some of the skin tone, color, contrast, brightness options but didn't seem to make much difference. I'll post a couple of quick pictures I could find today of that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twindavis/5483765116/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/twindavis/5483763050/
post #2407 of 2810 Old 02-27-2011, 06:46 PM

I finally got my PN58c550 delivered and got a few questions regarding calibration. I'm using a Spears & Munsil calibration disc. I turned off Dynamic Contrast and all other auto settings before calibration.

Auto Lip-sync - Does this tv feature HDMI Lip-sync? I see no mention in the manual, and my Onkyo 807 Receiver shows 0ms for this tv.

Color Space - Has options for Auto/Native. Does Native mean "full-range RGB" or "Deep Color"? My receiver and other components support Deep Color, so I'd like to enable it.

HDMI Black Level - Has options for Normal/Low. Not sure what this should be set to, before using calibration disc.

Game Mode - What is up with game mode on this tv? It is sort of hidden away in the menu, and doesn't allow much settings to be changed. Is it okay to just use the S&M calibration results for games too, or should that be only for movies?
post #2408 of 2810 Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 PM
DG1

I'm having a problem with Anynet+. I've read about similar problems on this forum and others, and often the advice is to turn off Anynet+. I'd love to do that, but can't find a way to do it in my PN58C550's menus! Is it hidden somewhere in the user menus, or do I have to go into service mode to turn it off?

Here's a little background on the problem:

We have two TVs, a Pioneer 42" Kuro and the Samsung 58". The Kuro has a full-feature Dish DVR attached, while the Sammy only has a bare-bones Dish HD receiver. Sometimes we want to watch recordings on the big TV, so I installed a powered splitter so the DVR signal can be shared by both TVs (input = DVR, output 1 = Kuro, output 2 = Sammy.) This works great, and I can even put the DVR into single mode so I can control it with the TV2 UHF remote.

The fly in the ointment is that when I turn off the Sammy, the Kuro goes off, too! It didn't take long to isolate the cause to the HDMI splitter/cabling: if I unplug the splitter output from the Sammy, the problem disappears. I tried disabling the HDMI power control features in the Kuro, but (oddly), that seems to have no effect.

My understanding is that the power off signal from the Sammy is an Anynet+ feature. I have programmable remotes for both TVs, so I don't think I need Anynet+ at all. But I can't figure out how to turn it off. Can anyone tell me?
post #2409 of 2810 Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 PM
DG1

Five minutes after posting I solved the problem. I had only disabled the HDMI power off control in the Kuro. When I disabled HDMI input control *entirely*, the problem went away. Not sure why it didn't work to shut off just the power off feature, but that's another thread

Meanwhile, for future reference, it would be nice to know how to turn off Anynet+.
post #2410 of 2810 Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG1 View Post

Five minutes after posting I solved the problem. I had only disabled the HDMI power off control in the Kuro. When I disabled HDMI input control *entirely*, the problem went away. Not sure why it didn't work to shut off just the power off feature, but that's another thread

Meanwhile, for future reference, it would be nice to know how to turn off Anynet+.

Go to "TOOLS", Anynet+, and then " Setup". It is very easy to turn it Off
post #2411 of 2810 Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

Game Mode - What is up with game mode on this tv? It is sort of hidden away in the menu, and doesn't allow much settings to be changed. Is it okay to just use the S&M calibration results for games too, or should that be only for movies?

I have been playing a lot of Dead Space 2 (PS3) and I have not really had to use Game Mode. I just leave the set in Movie mode and the game looks awesome and plays just fine. I don't notice any lag or control-related problems.

If you will be playing a fighting game (MvsC3) then you might want to really dial in the Game Mode settings but as far as I can tell you can game fine in Movie mode.

J
post #2412 of 2810 Old 02-28-2011, 01:35 PM

Well I went ahead and ordered the PN58C550 on Friday. Should be hear in a week or so, its coming from NY so it might take awhile. Has anyone who got theirs shipped had issues with screens being cracked or anything? I will make the delivery guy wait while I unbox and make sure its good but I am just curious.

I'm looking at theater systems now and am wondering if I should bother with the Anynet feature, it seems to me that Sammy doesn't make great HTiB systems. I'll be hooking up an xbox and a Roku to the TV and would like an upscaling dvd player, I've no interest in blue rays, just stream HD content. I was also looking at the Onkyo 3300. Not very well versed in home theater but the HT-C550 is selling for a decent price on amazon and in local shops here in WA. Would I need an actual receiver to plug the Roku/Xbox into and then plug that to the TV or would I be good just plugging all my stuff into the TV and then running one HDMI to whatever Audio system I end up using?
post #2413 of 2810 Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Were you able to fix this issue? I am having the exact same one and my wife is getting very frustrated as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitright View Post

I am having the exact same issue. I am using a Cox Digital cable box - with my feed going into my TV via HDMI. I change channels using the Cox remote. When switching channels - the TV scaler gets confused and does not know how to set the image. It usually is way right with black on the left -or sometimes stretched or zoomed. I have the TV also set to 16:9 . . . but changing the Picture Size on the fly does not help me. To get the picture to display properly . . . I have to turn the TV off and back on.

I had a Vizio LCD before this Samsung and was spoiled by the scaler in that TV. I never knew all the channels in 4:3 . .. the vizio just scaled everything to full 16:9. The Samsung will NOT . . . I had to get into the Cox digital box and force all the 4:3 feeds to Zoom up so the Samsung is not putting bars on all the non digital channels.

And I have experienced the same behavior when a show goes to commercial and back again . . . real frustrating.

What can be done about this? Will this Samsung scaler work on analog cable running direct into the TV via coax? However, this still does not solve the poor scaling on the digital side. Again, my Digital box is connected via HDMI.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to return this TV . . . but my wife and family get frustrated trying to get the picture right when channel surfing.

Oh . . . and I do have the dreaded buzz. I really can't hear it unless I mute the TV . . . not a deal breaker . . . but this scaling issue . . . .

post #2414 of 2810 Old 03-01-2011, 04:05 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by votum View Post

Well I went ahead and ordered the PN58C550 on Friday. Should be hear in a week or so, its coming from NY so it might take awhile. Has anyone who got theirs shipped had issues with screens being cracked or anything? I will make the delivery guy wait while I unbox and make sure its good but I am just curious.

I'm looking at theater systems now and am wondering if I should bother with the Anynet feature, it seems to me that Sammy doesn't make great HTiB systems. I'll be hooking up an xbox and a Roku to the TV and would like an upscaling dvd player, I've no interest in blue rays, just stream HD content. I was also looking at the Onkyo 3300. Not very well versed in home theater but the HT-C550 is selling for a decent price on amazon and in local shops here in WA. Would I need an actual receiver to plug the Roku/Xbox into and then plug that to the TV or would I be good just plugging all my stuff into the TV and then running one HDMI to whatever Audio system I end up using?

I had 2 63c590's come with cracked screens. Finally received my 3rd today with no cracks.
post #2415 of 2810 Old 03-01-2011, 10:51 PM

What types of media are playable through the usb? I want a tv that plays divx.
post #2416 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 AM

Is there a way to turn off or shorten the time the info screen pops-up with the resolution? Can this be done in the service menu?
post #2417 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 AM

Hi All,

I recently picked up a PN58C550 display model from Best Buy for $899! Unfortunately it has the pink banding/hue issue when displaying a white background. I've already contacted Samsung and have a area tech who is going to replace the panel. I've attached an example pic. I also have a slight buzz but it's not bad. I can't help comparing this plasma to my Panasonic S1 which has a completely uniform/flawless panel and zero buzz/hum. If the panel swap doesn't go well I'll be returning the unit before my 30 days runs out.

post #2418 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post

What types of media are playable through the usb? I want a tv that plays divx.

Just about everything. It plays divx avi.
post #2419 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 09:59 AM

I'm having a problem with my PN50C550 and I'm hoping someone can assist.

I've had the set for ~9 months. No problems at all. Poking around the menus this weekend, I ran the "Check for firmware updates online." It upgraded me to a version ending in 16. Nothing noticeably changed.

After a little bit, the TV lost the HDMI signal. It went blank, then said "Check signal connection" or something like that. I know the source signal was fine because my audio was still playing. (The signal goes from cable box to audio tuner to TV.) So something was happening between the tuner and TV.

After 10-15 seconds, the TV signal came back. This has happened sporadically ever since I upgraded the firmware, and never happened before the upgrade.

I'm really frustrated by the Samsung customer service. It seems like this version of the firmware was never meant for my TV. Online the latest version is 14, not 16. Could this be the problem? I foolishly trusted that they could accurately distribute patches...

Also, I can't find any way to roll back the firmware. I tried installing version 14 from a USB but it wouldn't let me (probably because its seeing it as a downgrade).

I called customer service and the guy said all he could suggest was reseting to factory defaults. That doesn't include firmware, so it didn't help. Next step would be sending a tech to take a look.

I really don't want to deal with that hassle, so has anyone else had this problem? Or know of any way to restore the factory-installed firmware, or a supported version?

Thanks in advance
post #2420 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Can't go back on FW.

You sure it's FW and not coincidence?
post #2421 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Well I can't run any kind of experiment to determine if it's firmware or coincidence, since I can't roll back the firmware. But when you change something and then problems start, the change is the most likely explanation.

Only other thing I can think of is just securing all the connections. I really doubt that's an issue but who knows. Maybe something got jostled in just the wrong way.

Any known causes for issues like this otherwise? I didn't find much in the thread, though its kind of ponderous to read the whole thing. Anyone else having issues with this version of the firmware?

Are there any HDMI handshaking issues with this set? I had that problem with my old LCD when connected to a PS3. Maybe the new firmware had an effect?
post #2422 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 538
I have read this whole thread so I'll save you some trouble. Lots of people have upgraded their older sets to FW 16 and no problem.

That's why I wonder if it's FW related.
post #2423 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 12:04 PM

OK thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll just re-check all the connections and if it continues, I'll have to bring in the tech.

The only reason I don't like that idea is because I can't produce the problem on demand. It happens randomly. So the tech will probably get there, check things out, see it working fine, and not know what to do. Odds are it will be a wasted visit unless this is a known issue with a fix.
post #2424 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
^^ .. have you tried shutting-down everything & unplugging TV for ~ 10min's; has solved hand-shaking problems (& other odd anamolies) in other sets. Only other thing comes to mind is to go into SM (service menu) & just exiting; unsure, but thought it reset 'everything' (not the firmware), but may shake the TV into submission.
post #2425 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks I'll give the long unplug a try.

Already went to the service menu and did the big reset. It doesn't seem to do anything different than the "Hold Exit for 10 seconds" reset.

I suppose the problem could also be originating with my audio tuner. Maybe something related to the HDMI Out. I tried multiple HDMI Ins on the TV and had the same problem, so the physical connection on that end seems fine.

Or it could be something related to just the video feed of my cable box.
post #2426 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM

My 63C550 came with the 1016 FW. Samsung must be nuts.
post #2427 of 2810 Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrre56 View Post

Thanks I'll give the long unplug a try.

Already went to the service menu and did the big reset. It doesn't seem to do anything different than the "Hold Exit for 10 seconds" reset.

I suppose the problem could also be originating with my audio tuner. Maybe something related to the HDMI Out. I tried multiple HDMI Ins on the TV and had the same problem, so the physical connection on that end seems fine.

Or it could be something related to just the video feed of my cable box.

I noticed the same thing with my 2 week old TV. After unplugging the hdmi cable and plugging it back in I haven't had the issue again but it's only been a couple of days. I only got it on one source and my firmware is at 16.
post #2428 of 2810 Old 03-03-2011, 12:00 PM

Help! I've narrowed it down to four tvs.

LG 46LD550
LG 50PK750
Samsung LN46C630
Samsung PN50C550

I've been researching for weeks, and I'm ready to buy, but I just can't make up my mind.

Any suggestions?
post #2429 of 2810 Old 03-03-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
^^ .. since you've posted in the plasma Forum, i'm abit partial (as many here) to the plasma choices; overall, the plasma's are best & would say the C550 being the best of your list.
post #2430 of 2810 Old 03-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlikemethodz View Post

Hi All,

I recently picked up a PN58C550 display model from Best Buy for $899! Unfortunately it has the pink banding/hue issue when displaying a white background. I've already contacted Samsung and have a area tech who is going to replace the panel. I've attached an example pic. I also have a slight buzz but it's not bad. I can't help comparing this plasma to my Panasonic S1 which has a completely uniform/flawless panel and zero buzz/hum. If the panel swap doesn't go well I'll be returning the unit before my 30 days runs out.

I notice the pink effect more on my pn58c8000 than my 550. I haven't read any solutions yet in either owners thread.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page