post #2492 of 2810 Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

I am curious what you consider "entry level"? Less than $2000? It always amuses me that people slam other people by claiming the TV's they just bought are "entry level". $1000-$2000 is considerable amount of money for most people to put into just a TV. What even gets me more, is that once a TV that retailed for $3000, goes on clearance for $1000, you have people calling it "entry-level". Yeah right...

So my PN58C550 is "entry-level". So what? It's not like a lot of people have a lot of options in retail store like Best Buy. They only carry the lower priced models, and most people don't know there are other models available. Anyway, most people don't care because there is little difference in picture quality, just added features on the higher priced models. There is a point of diminishing returns on picture quality vs price.

Size and cost isn't the issue. It's the model # that determines if it's "entry-level". C550 was the "entry-level" Samsung 1080p. I have a PN63c550. Regardless of size, it's still their "entry-level" 1080p. It's a lower model than the significantly smaller PN50c7000.

Does that bother me? No. I like bang for the buck and the c550 series delivers and at a lower cost than the higher end models. That's all that matters to me.
post #2493 of 2810 Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

Size and cost isn't the issue. It's the model # that determines if it's "entry-level". C550 was the "entry-level" Samsung 1080p. I have a PN63c550. Regardless of size, it's still their "entry-level" 1080p. It's a lower model than the significantly smaller PN50c7000.

Does that bother me? No. I like bang for the buck and the c550 series delivers and at a lower cost than the higher end models. That's all that matters to me.

Exactly.....The best bang for your buck Flat Panel of 2010, hands down!
post #2494 of 2810 Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardedboy View Post

ok...I finally have around 200 hours on my 58" 550

Now it's time to calibrate (I have no calibration disc)

I have my tv in a dark basement with no windows, so with that scenario what calibration is looking the best to most. I haven't touched my calibrations and so far I dig the movie mode the best on factory presets.

Thanks in advance

4 Pages covering just about every seeting you may be interested in!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243570

Al
post #2495 of 2810 Old 03-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

Yes the model# I understand, but no one ever explains what the "real" difference is between the models that incurs extra cost. People mention software features like "CinemaSmooth", but really anything in the FW or software is negligible in cost for the manufacturer to add. They flip a bit in the firmware and turn that feature on for certain models. There is nothing physically worth $1000+ more on the higher-end models.

I understand the panels go through a screening process and there are several grades (Grades A,B,C). But really, is there that much of a difference in plasma panels to warrant paying for the top-of-the-line of the same size? It's not like the old CRT days, where they came in nice wood cabinets and you paid extra for the nicer cabinetry work. If they added better internal parts to the higher-priced tv's then I would understand. Anyone remember when CD players came out, and then Pioneer introduced it's 1-bit D/A converter and better mechanical transports? Well, we all know where that technology went, down the drain...Even though 1-bit D/A was superior, they went back to using 16-bit D/A and junky disc transports.
post #2496 of 2810 Old 03-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

I've had my 55c550 for a month now, and I just wanted to post how much I'm loving it-- alot!
post #2497 of 2810 Old 03-17-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathon View Post

Yes the model# I understand, but no one ever explains what the "real" difference is between the models that incurs extra cost. People mention software features like "CinemaSmooth", but really anything in the FW or software is negligible in cost for the manufacturer to add. They flip a bit in the firmware and turn that feature on for certain models. There is nothing physically worth $1000+ more on the higher-end models.

I understand the panels go through a screening process and there are several grades (Grades A,B,C). But really, is there that much of a difference in plasma panels to warrant paying for the top-of-the-line of the same size? It's not like the old CRT days, where they came in nice wood cabinets and you paid extra for the nicer cabinetry work. If they added better internal parts to the higher-priced tv's then I would understand. Anyone remember when CD players came out, and then Pioneer introduced it's 1-bit D/A converter and better mechanical transports? Well, we all know where that technology went, down the drain...Even though 1-bit D/A was superior, they went back to using 16-bit D/A and junky disc transports.

I suppose you don't consider development cost as something we should pay for. 3D costs more and comes on high end models. 3D sales have been slow so they're obviously trying to get it out there into entry level sets.

Anyways, back on topic. Anybody notice black levels changing on them? I notice the crackers things with this buggy tv. On 2.35:1 content, sometimes the black bars will lighten momentarily, then drop back down. I'm sure it's in the picture as well, just most noticeable on black bars.
post #2498 of 2810 Old 03-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Got my new pn50c550 brand new here. Feel like I got a very good price for end of the line model. Upgrading from 32" sharp LCD the difference is huge... I got the "OMG this TV is too big" but this feeling will fade with time!

With 3 days of use I have noticed 0 burn-in or IR. Very happy with this plasma tech. I have the slight humming noise but cannot hear it from where i'm sitting. Flashed to lastest firmware and used the settings posted in this thread to find the sweet spot in calibration.

Is it normal to notice some greenish pixels noise on black parts of the pictures?

Can't notice it from normal viewing distance, however when I stick my face near the screen I can see it, even with blu-ray and hdmi...
post #2499 of 2810 Old 03-17-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philgag View Post

Is it normal to notice some greenish pixels noise on black parts of the pictures?

Can't notice it from normal viewing distance, however when I stick my face near the screen I can see it, even with blu-ray and hdmi...

these sets do have some natural noise to the picture. However, what you are seeing may be from the source and the tv. Even blu ray captures grain and noise as part of the source.
post #2500 of 2810 Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Got my new pn50c550 brand new here. Feel like I got a very good price for end of the line model. Upgrading from 32" sharp LCD the difference is huge... I got the "OMG this TV is too big" but this feeling will fade with time!

With 3 days of use I have noticed 0 burn-in or IR. Very happy with this plasma tech. I have the slight humming noise but cannot hear it from where i'm sitting. Flashed to lastest firmware and used the settings posted in this thread to find the sweet spot in calibration.

Get an image on your screen that shows the green noise and get close to your tv. Then, start turning your brightness down notch by notch. You will see the green fuzzies start to vanish until they are all gone. Depending on the P.mode you are in (movie etc) it should be in the low 50s.
post #2501 of 2810 Old 03-19-2011, 06:33 PM

Hi Samsung owner!

How are this models for gaming? I read that Samsung have lots of lag with PS3 or XBOX360 but I know C550 has game mode. How well performed this TV with game mode enable?

Do you know if 'buzz' problem has been resolved?
post #2502 of 2810 Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
4 Pages covering just about every seeting you may be interested in!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1243570
Thanks!!!
post #2503 of 2810 Old 03-20-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalanc01 View Post

Hi Samsung owner!

How are this models for gaming? I read that Samsung have lots of lag with PS3 or XBOX360 but I know C550 has game mode. How well performed this TV with game mode enable?

Read the thread, answers to your questions are within!
post #2504 of 2810 Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longball07 View Post

Report back after you finish the 84 pages.
post #2505 of 2810 Old 03-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

I just had a Samsung authorized service tech come here. I showed him the horizontal banding and he went out to his van and came back and claimed it was burn-in and Samsung wouldn't cover it.

After arguing with him for a few minutes, he out of the blue, states that he will order a new panel and it usually takes about a week to arrive.

Very weird. He was trying to claim that the directv guide permanently burned-in the banding. Interesting theory except the menu and the banding do not line up.

He also claimed that I waited more than 30 days and Samsung wouldn't cover it. The dude was all over the place.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know what happens next.

-mk
post #2506 of 2810 Old 03-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek View Post

I just had a Samsung authorized service tech come here. I showed him the horizontal banding and he went out to his van and came back and claimed it was burn-in and Samsung wouldn't cover it.

After arguing with him for a few minutes, he out of the blue, states that he will order a new panel and it usually take about a week to arrive.

Very weird. He was trying to claim that the directv guide permanently burned-in the banding. Interesting theory except the menu and the banding do not line up.

He also claimed that I waited more than 30 days and Samsung wouldn't cover it. The dude was all over the place.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know what happens next.

-mk

Strange service call. I assume banding is covered and burn-in isn't? I wonder if there is a correlation between banding and either burn-in and/or Image Retention. For example I've seen some banding (on a c8000) that shows a ghost image of the CNN logo within the band. But that image goes away in time, and banding doesn't. I also assume that the image would be classified as IR, since it does go away in time. Maybe someone with less ignorance than me could clarify that relationship between banding and IR or burn-in.
post #2507 of 2810 Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think there is a relationship between banding and IR.

IR and burn-in are more related. IR is temporary and burn-in is permanent.

The consensus here is that it is pretty difficult to get burn-in.
post #2508 of 2810 Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM

Hey guys I got the picture to my liking thanks to the settimgs thread.

I still have one problem with my set, its more noticeable when watching sports such as hockey. Sometime the framerate will drop for a split second and I will see what I think is called judder.

This happens on any channel on my cable box, havent noticed it on blu-ray or xbox, but I have yet to sit down and watch a movie or play long games sessions.

Any idea what could cause this?

Thanks
post #2509 of 2810 Old 03-22-2011, 11:05 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Any idea what could cause this?

Your cable box, or rather, the compression from your cable provider. It's common they only have so much bandwidth to work with.
post #2510 of 2810 Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM

Correct, this is something from your signal. If you watched a lot of the bball tourney this past weekend, you would have seen it quite a bit.
post #2511 of 2810 Old 03-22-2011, 03:48 PM

Strange that i could not notice it with my 32inch.... I guess the size make it that much easier to notice...

Thanks for the feedback
post #2512 of 2810 Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrre56 View Post

I'm having a problem with my PN50C550...the TV intermittently loses the HDMI signal, goes blank, and says "Check signal cable".

I want to provide an update on my PN50C550 and the issue I raised a few weeks ago. After a bunch of testing and experimenting, I isolated the problem down to a faulty HDMI cable. I've since replaced that cable and the problem has disappeared.

I thought it would be good to post this, just to clear the TV's good name! It was not the firmware update that was causing the problem. I don't know how or why the HDMI became faulty, but I suppose that just happens sometimes.
post #2513 of 2810 Old 03-24-2011, 02:25 PM

Hi to everybody. I’ve been reading the thread for awhile (particularly the first 50 pages or so) and find it fascinating and very instructive. I recently bought a PN50C550 and had already put it through the ropes of break-in (over 150 hours of slides AND full screen movies with no subtitles, at a rate of about 15 hours daily…. Hey guys we are breaking-in the TV, no punishing it!). The main use of the TV is going to be for DVD and Bluray movies.

First let me tell you how I came to this TV. I am always been an advocate of Plasma and my last two TVs have been plasmas (LG and Panasonic). Nevertheless living as I do now in South America we cannot have access to the variety of models and brands as you Americans do; and besides here these appliances are quite expensive. So it is important to find a balance between what a model cost here (related to its USA cost) and its features and capabilities. And remember there is no such a thing as a perfect TV, both plasmas and LCDs have issues of their own. So after passing through some Panasonics and even some LED LCDs, I fell in love with this TV when I saw it 3 weeks ago in a Showroom.

For the record I will state that mine came with no dead pixels, no buzzing (at least that I am able to detect), and no banding issues (Yes there is a very, VERY faint sort of band or horizontal line one third from the top, but it is almost indistinguishable even on a full white image). The factory date of my TV is May 2010, for those of you interested.

I made the firmware update and the transition to a C590 via the Service Menu, and I am very pleased with the Cinema Smooth function (Just check the rolling of the credits at the end of a movie and you will see what I am talking about) and in all I am very pleased with the general performance of the TV, even though I find the color rendering perhaps a little bit subdue with what I was accustomed (or my taste for that matter), and the black performance not particularly better than my previous displays.

There are some topics I want to converse with you. First I see that on all calibrations that have appeared in the thread, they always put the Sharpness at or near zero. That makes no sense to me and results in (what I believe) a sort of “soft” image: if you have a ruler that goes from 0 to 100, IMHO the default response should be around the middle, and from there you can ADD or SUBSTRACT sharpness according to the source and your taste.

Second, there is some inexplicable randomness in the way that HDMI Black Level functions. In my LG DVD, I am able to access this control and to switch it from Normal to Low; in my Sony Bluray I am not, it is grayed out to Normal. I have no clue about why.

Third this set has actually some sort of “Infinite Black” at work: each time the program source dissolves to a complete black the display turns off for an instant; this is more evident when you are watching the set at night and/or when the final credits of a film start to appear over a black background. As some people who have commented this issue in the Panasonics sets, I have not made my mind yet.

Well I am sorry to have made this post so long. I hope all of you enjoy your TVs as I am doing with mine.
post #2514 of 2810 Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinice View Post

Third this set has actually some sort of Infinite Black at work: each time the program source dissolves to a complete black the display turns off for an instant; this is more evident when you are watching the set at night and/or when the final credits of a film start to appear over a black background. As some people who have commented this issue in the Panasonics sets, I have not made my mind yet.

I hope you end up liking it as much as most of us do! I have something for you to try about that last issue. I think I may've seen that happen before I adjusted my source device (cable box, satellite reciever, etc.) See if you can change the video settings in that device to just 1080p or just the 720s and 1080s. Also see if that box has a 'native res' setting or anything like that. This is just a theory, but if all resolutions are checked, I think the panel takes time to search for the native (or best) res and that may give you the issue you explained.
post #2515 of 2810 Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
I hope you end up liking it as much as most of us do! I have something for you to try about that last issue. I think I may've seen that happen before I adjusted my source device (cable box, satellite reciever, etc.) See if you can change the video settings in that device to just 1080p or just the 720s and 1080s. Also see if that box has a 'native res' setting or anything like that. This is just a theory, but if all resolutions are checked, I think the panel takes time to search for the native (or best) res and that may give you the issue you explained.
I think I read somewhere that if brigthness is set bellow a certain level, the screen will shut down if not much is displayed on screen...you might want to rise it a little bit to see if it helps.

As far as my picture hesitation or "judder" on hd cable box, it seemed to help if film mode was set to auto1 instead of auto2!
post #2516 of 2810 Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinice View Post

There are some topics I want to converse with you. First I see that on all calibrations that have appeared in the thread, they always put the Sharpness at or near zero. That makes no sense to me and results in (what I believe) a sort of soft image: if you have a ruler that goes from 0 to 100, IMHO the default response should be around the middle, and from there you can ADD or SUBSTRACT sharpness according to the source and your taste.

Second, there is some inexplicable randomness in the way that HDMI Black Level functions. In my LG DVD, I am able to access this control and to switch it from Normal to Low; in my Sony Bluray I am not, it is grayed out to Normal. I have no clue about why.

Third this set has actually some sort of Infinite Black at work: each time the program source dissolves to a complete black the display turns off for an instant; this is more evident when you are watching the set at night and/or when the final credits of a film start to appear over a black background. .

1st issue: Sharpness at zero: this turns off any TV produced "artificial" sharpening.

2nd: I think that was discussed a dozen or so pages back.

3rd: I have seen that. I believe that if you turn off the eco setting to off. I think that what causes the complete black screen.

-mk
post #2517 of 2810 Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Hi Samsung owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longball07 View Post

Ok, I read the entire thread:
Regarding Input Lag: Game mode seem very good to lower input lag on this set but can I expect a good image quality with this mode enable?
Regarding Buzz: Not all set seem to Buzz equally, Some are noisy and some are quiet. Anyway I don't think it's a deal breaker in my case because I have an high end receiver and I like to push this little baby very hard!!!
post #2518 of 2810 Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 AM

Liked: 11
Just pulled the trigger on this TV been on the fence about which way to go (ie. Plasma, LCD, LED, DLP)

Hope it works in this set up. This DLP has to go. One speaker is going out, the internal tv tuner isn't working and it now has one blue dot which annoys the heck out of me. But I have had it since July 2004. So I'm hoping that this new Plasma will give just as good life and this one.

Big window to the West 18' x 6' lots of light.

as you can tell this is an old pic only thing changed is that I don't use Dish anymore.
post #2519 of 2810 Old 03-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

vorghath, I think you'll be pleased with your decision. BTW, I just got rid of my old Panny, that same model! I sold on Craigslist for $250. The speaker was going on mine, too.
post #2520 of 2810 Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

Thanks ItzMe for your replay... I do not think that this effect has to do with the resolution.
When I add an Absolute Black slide (Thanks to the other fellow who posted it for download in this thread) via the USB port, it happens exactly the same. I think that is something that has to do with the processing engine of the TV, that is similar to Panasonic's Infinite Black, only that Samsung does not make too much fuss about it as Panasonic does, which is OK, after all is not a big deal.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page