AVS Forum banner

Samsung PNXXc550 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK*

445K views 3K replies 476 participants last post by  heavyness 
#1 ·
Just got my Samsung PN50C550 on Wednesday. Set looks amazing especially going from an 11 year old 32" RCA CRT to this High Def Beauty. I am still in the break in period but even with everything turned down the set looks incredible (Battle Field Bad Company 2, I think I wet my self). I would also Like to report that I have "NO BUZZING"

Let me know any settings I need to change or check and also any other questions you may have about the set. Keep it simple though I'm an HD Noob.

#2,079 ·
I am thinking of getting the PN50C550G1F. It is for a family room. There is a big window behind the tv location and a large bank of glass block tiles as my wall behind my seating position (which is directly across from the tv). On the other side of the glass block wall is my front door and entrance glass (which there is much of).

Right now I have LCD and at moment during the day, I occasionally feel the need to rotate the tv on its base because of reflection of the glass block wall. What should I expect with this set? Is the set bright enough to cut through the light and reflections? Technically, I could use the swivel on the tv to direct it away from the reflection as I sometimes do with my LCD, but I don't want to need to shift the angle of the set every daytime viewing. Just curious what the owners of the set have to say about real world reflections and upstairs viewing with windows and natural light.

Thanks.

#2,082 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagenuts
Ten minutes should no damage assuming you followed the recommended "burn-on" process.

Just go into the menu and start the scrolling screen wash.

Good luck.
What is burn-on? I've done things such as keep the contrast down and the recommended new plasma stuff but I can't remember if I did that(pardon my ignorance).

The screenwash seemed to help it though. I've put it on for about 4-5 minutes and the burn-in has gone down by about 80%. Thanks! How long do you normally use the screenwash? Or just until it's gone?

#2,083 ·
Don't bother with the screen wash it'll go away with regular programming. My wife surfs the web for over an hour at a time with the start bar along the bottom and window bar along the top. They "burn in" and I can get them to go away within a couple hours of tv. Don't get me wrong, I cringe when she does it, but I have zero burn in. When I use our computer, I try and expand the window to full view (F11). If only she would learn

#2,084 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heboil /forum/post/19890058

I am think of getting the PN50C550G1F. It is for a family room. There is a big window behind the tv location and a large bank of glass block tiles as my wall behind my seating position (which is directly across from the tv). On the other side of the glass block wall is my front door and entrance glass (which there is much of).

Right now I have LCD and at moment during the day, I occasionally feel the need to rotate the tv on its base because of reflection of the glass block wall. What should I expect with this set? Is the set bright enough to cut through the light and reflections? Technically, I could use the swivel on the tv to direct it away from the reflection as I sometimes do with my LCD, but I don't want to need to shift the angle of the set every daytime viewing. Just curious what the owners of the set have to say about real world reflections and upstairs viewing with windows and natural light.

Thanks.

You'll definitely get more reflections than your LCD. Although not as bad as some tvs out there like the LGPK550, it reflects more than my Samsung LCD. With that said, when it's really bright I change to dynamic mode and the reflections during the daytime don't bother me. I think the Panasonic plasmas have the best anti-reflective filters out of the plasmas.

#2,085 ·
Gents( and ladies)

I am not interested as I have a 58C8000

But there is deal Circuitcity.com on this TV...that compiled with a discount code you can obtain from slickdeals.net...makes this a few hundred less expensive than I have ever seem it before( delivered)

Warren

#2,088 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combahee /forum/post/0

Got my 550 last week, finally got my HD hookup today. What a great picture, no buzzing fantastic, except... was watching a movie on HBO HD and a character was standing there and they kept going into and out of focus just a little but noticeable.

Any reason for this or solution?

Well if it's a focus issue, nothing can be done. That's the camera man.

#2,090 ·
What do most people recommend as the "preferred" settings/calbrations done by someone in this forum for this TV(PN58C550).

I was thinking on getting one for my Mom and Dad for their 51st wedding anniversary as they still are using a 32" tube TV. They are happy with it, but I just want to get them something huge for the Big Game on Februrary 6th.

Gee, I wounder who I am rooting for?!

My father's eyesight is not that great, so if anyone can recommend even better calibrations/setup for someone with not very good vision(one eye is nearly gone, and the other is very good, but not great. Things seem "darker" to him than to people with normal eyesight) who did it themselves, that would be great.

But for the overall recomendation on what most people find as the best place to start for calbrations done on this tv in this thread by users, that would be just fine too.

#2,091 ·
I just got this tv today and I love it already.. right out of the box this thing looks amazing (which is surprising because my 2 previous LCD sammy's looked terrible prior to calibration). I can't wait to get past the break in period and see what this set can put out after a decent calibration. One thing that annoys me a little is I have the buzz, but its not that noticeable so I won't bother trying to find the perfect set, if there is such a thing.

Just a quick question regarding break in.. what should I put my contrast/brightness at? I'm hearing below 50 for both from some places and below 35 from others. Also are there any other settings I should adjust during this time? thanks

Edit: I just applied the ferrite cores to the power cable and now I really have to mute everything and put my ear next to the tv to even hear any slight buzzing.. hopefully that fixes it, but again it wasn't too bad to begin with

#2,092 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 /forum/post/19892497

Gents( and ladies)

I am not interested as I have a 58C8000

But there is deal Circuitcity.com on this TV...that compiled with a discount code you can obtain from slickdeals.net...makes this a few hundred less expensive than I have ever seem it before( delivered)

Warren

Those went fast. Just checked the slickdeals site and it lists the deal as 'expired'. Posters are saying that the tv was oversold and refunds are coming instead of tv's. Thanks for the tip though, maybe next time I'll be quicker.

#2,094 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 /forum/post/19886322

I need a HUGE favor from someone with the 63C550.

Can someone tell me where the mount points on the back of the TV are in dimensions in relation to the size of the TV?

I havent gotten my TV yet however I need to install the bracket on the wall. Any help is appreciated.

So for example, maybe X inches from the bottom and sides are the mounting holes etc...

Please really need the help!

Mine is stand mounted but according to the manual....the 58" and 63" tv's have a 600 horizontal by 400 vertical vesa mount.

I measured my 63 c550 inch set for you. The mounting holes are 17 1/2 inches from the very outer edge on the sides and 10 inches from the top and bottom. Again, these measurements are from the outward most point on the clear bezel to hole center.

In the manual, it also states to leave 4" of clearance around all 4 sides unless you use the stand. In that case 3 sides.

#2,096 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combahee /forum/post/19894047

Got my 550 last week, finally got my HD hookup today. What a great picture, no buzzing fantastic, except... was watching a movie on HBO HD and a character was standing there and they kept going into and out of focus just a little but noticeable.

Any reason for this or solution?

Could be that, although it's a hi-def movie channel, it may not have been a high-definition program. In the past two days, I'm discovering that HD channels do this A LOT.

#2,097 ·
So, here's a question: I have a Toshiba HD-A2 that I'm currently running into my PN50C550 using HDMI. This is causing an audio problem (which I'm not gonna go into, but suffice it to say that the root of the problem is the TV's failure to output 5.1 on the optical out), and one potential solution is to connect the player using component instead (since the HD-A2's maximum output is 1080i). My question is: If I do that, and the disc I'm playing is originally 1080p, will the TV still de-interlace the 1080i signal, as it does on HDMI?

#2,098 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just bought this set a couple days ago and I've read about upgrading it to a C590 through the service menu. The main reason I'm interested in doing that is to get the cinema mode. Has anyone done this and is there any harm in doing so? There aren't any side effects are there? Also, how exactly do you access the service menu to do this? Any help would be great.

Thanks

#2,099 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combahee /forum/post/19895382

No I noticed it first on SD football games. Now with HD the picture looks fantastic but there is a in, out, in, out, of focus.

Mine does the same thing. I don't notice it unless I look for it. You will eventually stop looking for it and very rarely notice it. You can really see it good on a close up of a face.

#2,100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1014 /forum/post/19900269

Hey Everyone,

I just bought this set a couple days ago and I've read about upgrading it to a C590 through the service menu. The main reason I'm interested in doing that is to get the cinema mode. Has anyone done this and is there any harm in doing so? There aren't any side effects are there? Also, how exactly do you access the service menu to do this? Any help would be great.

Thanks

.. do not know of any side-effects .. except mind-control .. har-har-har-har ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246242

#2,101 ·
Looks like I'll be joining the 550 club later this week. I've spent weeks waffling between the Panny 65S2 and the Sammy 63C550 - the floating blacks and reported graininess kept me from settling on the S2, and the reports of buzzing and banding scared me away from the 550. Now, however, the 65S2s are pretty much gone from brick-and-mortar stores, so my choice got a lot easier. I did consider waiting a few months for the 2011 ST30s to hit the market, but I haven't heard anything about Panasonic fixing the floating blacks, and I'm sure that that would drive me crazy. In another thread that asked about S2 Vs. 550, the crowd seemed to unanimously pick the 550, so I finally pulled the trigger and got one scheduled for delivery in a few days.

One thing I've noticed, however, is that not many folks seem to talk about gaming on this set. There seems to be no shortage of input lag numbers for Panasonic sets - in fact, it was the low input lag stats on Panny sets that initially had me sold on the S2. Other than the general consensus that Samsung sets have much higher lag, though, I can't seem to find anything specific. For anyone that uses the 550 for gaming, how is the lag on most settings? Is game mode a requirement, and does it totally kill the picture? My 550 will be used for 75% gaming/25% movies/0% cable, so this is pretty important for me.

Also, how bad is the image retention after break-in? I plan to break-in for a couple hundred hours since the set will be used for so much gaming, and I'm hoping that would be enough to avoid the worst of the IR. Gaming sessions for me are usually about 1-3 hours - is that going to be a problem? I know I could go to LCD and game as much as I want worry-free, but the viewing angles and uniformity issues made that a no-go. The 550 seems to get a lot of love on these forums, so I'm hoping that it will work out for me.

#2,102 ·
i was killing myself between this and the 6500, but i dont care for internet apps, i have a ps3....is the pq alone on the 6500 worth the extra 200-250$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.