Samsung PNXXc550 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 92 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2731 of 2817 Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I recommend mezzmo dlna server. Just plain works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2817 Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakertime View Post

The techs came out today and only fixed the voltage on my set making those red flickering dots go away but I'm still noticing the dark bands across the set on white background. Tried running screen burn in protection to no effect. This is frustrating and my warranty is up in about two weeks here. Think last time I go with Samsung.

I just called brandsmart about service on the TV, they stated that since Im still with in my 1 year manufacture warranty, that they cannot do anything about it Until im out of warranty from samsung.

My warranty with samsung ends on 10/18/11 and the same day brandsmart extended kicks in.

next question, should I still attempt with samsung right now for service, and risk having them deny me. or just wait for it to run out and deal with brandsmart only.

I ask this because, IF samsung does deny me for warranty service for my (buzzing, banding) problems, and they have it documented that they denied me, will brandsmart use that as their excuse as well for denying me coverage? Does brandsmart have access to my dealings with samsung?
post #2733 of 2817 Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

The ferrite cores do nothing.

Dunno about that.

I used two of 'em on the TV hook-ups and the third on a crap PC speaker system. The damned things would pick up AM signal even when powered down. Kinda creepy to here the local religious station preaching through speakers that aren't even on. :O

Wrapped the speaker and connection wires through the ferrite core and *BAM* no more Jesus at 2AM. LOL

That said, dunno if they help with the TV but it sure cleaned up the PC audio...
post #2734 of 2817 Old 08-24-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 662
You're taking my comment out of context. My comment was a reply to an enquiry about buzz. They do nothing.
post #2735 of 2817 Old 08-26-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

You're taking my comment out of context. My comment was a reply to an enquiry about buzz. They do nothing.

You're right.

My bad.
post #2736 of 2817 Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 PM

I have my PN58C550 connected to u-verse via HDMI and if I set the u-verse STB audio output to "surround" sound (instead of "stereo"), I get no sound from the TV speakers. Once I change the audio settings back to "stereo", I get sound. I don't have this problem on my LG 47LH90 or a Samsung 32" B550 LCD TV and am able to leave it set to "surround".

Anyone out there able to enable "surround" sound from u-verse STB and receive sound from the TV speakers? The u-verse STB is Motorola. Seems like the TV cannot accept 5.1.
post #2737 of 2817 Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooler40 View Post

I have my PN58C550 connected to u-verse via HDMI and if I set the u-verse STB audio output to "surround" sound (instead of "stereo"), I get no sound from the TV speakers. Once I change the audio settings back to "stereo", I get sound. I don't have this problem on my LG 47LH90 or a Samsung 32" B550 LCD TV and am able to leave it set to "surround".

Anyone out there able to enable "surround" sound from u-verse STB and receive sound from the TV speakers? The u-verse STB is Motorola. Seems like the TV cannot accept 5.1.

Maybe I am missing something in you quest to supply 'surround sound' to a TV that only has 2 speakers...? You gain nothing from this AFAIK.

The manual covers this, stereo only from HDMI, and if you want multi-channel sound, connect the HDMI to an AVR.

From page 11 in the manual:

Quote:

When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is
connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theater receiver. If you want to
hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite
receiver directly to an amplifier or home theater.

Al
post #2738 of 2817 Old 10-08-2011, 03:45 AM

Al, thanks for the clarification. What I meant to ask is the TV capable of downmixing 5.1 source audio to 2 ch?
post #2739 of 2817 Old 10-09-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Al, thanks for the clarification. What I meant to ask is the TV capable of downmixing 5.1 source audio to 2 ch?

You're welcome, and I now think I know where you are going with this... re-reading your question you have a STB connected through HDMI and when supplying 5.1 audio you hear no sound.

If you are asking if you can input a 5.1 source to the TV (via HDMI) and have it provide 2 channel sound out I believe the answer is yes. From a HDMI source a 5.1 channel signal should result in a 2 channel out to the TV speakers or from the 1/8 mini jack on the back of the set.

I will try this on mine and report back on the results.

Al
post #2740 of 2817 Old 10-10-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

You're welcome, and I now think I know where you are going with this... re-reading your question you have a STB connected through HDMI and when supplying 5.1 audio you hear no sound.

If you are asking if you can input a 5.1 source to the TV (via HDMI) and have it provide 2 channel sound out I believe the answer is yes. From a HDMI source a 5.1 channel signal should result in a 2 channel out to the TV speakers or from the 1/8 mini jack on the back of the set.

I will try this on mine and report back on the results.

Yep, that's the problem I'm having! It has no sound. Thanks for testing for me, I'm thinking the STB is faulty or the TV doesn't support. I'd like to leave it on surround so I don't have to manually switch back and forth. I generally watch with the A/V receiver on but the wife doesn't...so when she turns on the TV, no sound! Then, I have to flip back the STB to stereo mode in order for it to work.
post #2741 of 2817 Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, that's the problem I'm having! It has no sound. Thanks for testing for me, I'm thinking the STB is faulty or the TV doesn't support. I'd like to leave it on surround so I don't have to manually switch back and forth. I generally watch with the A/V receiver on but the wife doesn't...so when she turns on the TV, no sound! Then, I have to flip back the STB to stereo mode in order for it to work.

I haven't forgotten, in fact I have been trying to test this scenario but the only programs on my satellite box are stereo, I may have to pop a disc into the HDDVD player to send a 5.1 signal to the TV to see how it reacts and what sound will come from the speakers...

Al
post #2742 of 2817 Old 10-13-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Well here it is, I fired up the HD-DVD player and made sure the audio was set to 5.1, with the sound set to come out of the TV speakers I hear the main audio tracks. So it works as far as I can see, when audio is coming in via HDMI.

The attached picture shows what the player is sending to the TV.

I can't see where there is a sound adjustment on the TV that could affect this other than 'Mute' or speaker set to 'External'...
LL

Al
post #2743 of 2817 Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:

Well here it is, I fired up the HD-DVD player and made sure the audio was set to 5.1, with the sound set to come out of the TV speakers I hear the main audio tracks. So it works as far as I can see, when audio is coming in via HDMI.

The attached picture shows what the player is sending to the TV.

I can't see where there is a sound adjustment on the TV that could affect this other than 'Mute' or speaker set to 'External'...

Al: Good to know, thank you very much for testing this out! My STB must be defective? Back to the drawing board...
post #2744 of 2817 Old 10-13-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Al: Good to know, thank you very much for testing this out! My STB must be defective? Back to the drawing board...

You are most welcome, do you have a BluRay or equivalent player with HDMI that you could try before going to far with the STB?

Al
post #2745 of 2817 Old 10-13-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just tried switching my u-verse box to 5.1 and I get sound from my Sammy 550. Sounds like your u-verse box might be defective.
post #2746 of 2817 Old 10-17-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:

You are most welcome, do you have a BluRay or equivalent player with HDMI that you could try before going to far with the STB?

Well, I dragged my Xbox 360 to this TV and hooked it up making sure DD 5.1 was being sent to the TV and it worked. Next I tried hooking up another Uverse STB and it didn't work, so it's definitely an issue with Uverse which doesn't surprise me. The Uverse STB is a Motorola VIP-1200. Thanks all for your help. Not sure if there's anything I can do other than switching the STB or providers.
post #2747 of 2817 Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddeman View Post

Inkyjinx's settings are a great starting point; thanks for pointing me that way daniel'son (much more productive than 'search this thread'). I am waiting until the warranty is up to upgrade the TV to a 590 (5/28/11).

That said, Al, could you post your settings?

Also, in the service menu, I see where I can change the model number PC550 (PC551, PC560, PC580, PC590, etc).

a. I assume this is what opens the new features up for the 550?
b. Will future firmware updates (via Ethernet) work with a modified 550?
c. Is there a way to modify the default settings for say, movie mode (to avoid resetting after entering the service mode)?

quick question. this is for a friend of mine with a 58" c550. he likes my g20 picture better (for gaming, specifically battlefield 3) and we are trying to make him a little bit happier with his. we tried these settings as well as someone elses settings which were specific to the c550. they made the tv look HORRENDOUS. it literally looked like something was physically wrong with the tv, as if the video board had an issue displaying the picture. so my question is, what are we missing? are these settings in the service menu actually values that you remove from the original values? or are these new values to input? we set all the offsets and gains to the actual value (for example, if the value said 33 for the Red Offset in the post referenced, we put it at 33 [starting value was in the 500 range]). what exactly am i missing?
post #2748 of 2817 Old 01-28-2012, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoreme View Post

quick question. this is for a friend of mine with a 58" c550. he likes my g20 picture better (for gaming, specifically battlefield 3) and we are trying to make him a little bit happier with his. we tried these settings as well as someone elses settings which were specific to the c550. they made the tv look HORRENDOUS. it literally looked like something was physically wrong with the tv, as if the video board had an issue displaying the picture. so my question is, what are we missing? are these settings in the service menu actually values that you remove from the original values? or are these new values to input? we set all the offsets and gains to the actual value (for example, if the value said 33 for the Red Offset in the post referenced, we put it at 33 [starting value was in the 500 range]). what exactly am i missing?

The settings talked about in this thread are for the entire family C540/550/590 as they all have the same plasma panel.

All of these settings are applied to the user adjustment in the normal display menu area, none of these changes are applied within the service menu if that is what you are asking?

If the picture looks "HORRENDOUS" then you are definitely doing it wrong...

Al
post #2749 of 2817 Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:

The settings talked about in this thread are for the entire family C540/550/590 as they all have the same plasma panel.

All of these settings are applied to the user adjustment in the normal display menu area, none of these changes are applied within the service menu if that is what you are asking?

If the picture looks "HORRENDOUS" then you are definitely doing it wrong...

yup, definitely doing it wrong then. we were applying the settings in the service menu. when we finished we both just looked at each other and wondered what the hell was up.

i have to look at his tv again, but i dont remember seeing any options for changing the "white balance" section in the mains menus. we did see that in the service menu so we ran with that. guess we should of looked harder.

we have since changed it back to our written down original settings and left it in the factory state. ill try again with him tomorrow.

i was under the assumption that all professional calibration was done in the service menu? then again, since i have a panasonic and mostly read the panasonic threads, maybe i assumed wrong and samsung actually gives you the options for proper calibration out in the open? i know my g20 doesnt seem to have any "advanced" options in the main menus.
post #2750 of 2817 Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

ignoreme, it has been a very long time since I have been into the service menus, even if you found a place to chnage the whie balance IIRC that is not where you make the adjustment for that. I recall that there was a lot of conversation about the fact that full manipulation of all of the settings was not really possible, but excellant results can be achieved eve with the limited access. There have been a number of professional calirators lament the lack of full access but then come back and say they were very happy with the end calibration.

Anyway, I do remmeber that you turn on the option is ISF calibration (Day/Night) in the service menu as well as Cinema Smooth for 24p operation. The outside in the regular menu your white balance is set by the picture setting for Warm1, Warm2 etc. forgive me if this isn't exactly right I am going from emeory and rushing out shortly to catch a plane home.

Earlier in this thread are some posts by me and others that should specify each of the 'best settings' for a great picture, no horrendous allowed!

There will alos be a link or two to pro calibrators reviews that talk about all of the forgoing information, if I had time I would dig it out, maybe tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes, I know you have a Panny (no disrespect), but a properly set Sammy C series will give it a run for the money if not possibly win the race... ;-)

Al
post #2751 of 2817 Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:

ignoreme, it has been a very long time since I have been into the service menus, even if you found a place to chnage the whie balance IIRC that is not where you make the adjustment for that. I recall that there was a lot of conversation about the fact that full manipulation of all of the settings was not really possible, but excellant results can be achieved eve with the limited access. There have been a number of professional calirators lament the lack of full access but then come back and say they were very happy with the end calibration.

Anyway, I do remmeber that you turn on the option is ISF calibration (Day/Night) in the service menu as well as Cinema Smooth for 24p operation. The outside in the regular menu your white balance is set by the picture setting for Warm1, Warm2 etc. forgive me if this isn't exactly right I am going from emeory and rushing out shortly to catch a plane home.

Earlier in this thread are some posts by me and others that should specify each of the 'best settings' for a great picture, no horrendous allowed!

There will alos be a link or two to pro calibrators reviews that talk about all of the forgoing information, if I had time I would dig it out, maybe tomorrow.

Let us know how it goes, I know you have a Panny (no disrespect), but a properly set Sammy C series will give it a run for the money if not possibly win the race... ;-)

i will probably stop by his house today and mess around with his tv a little bit and see if we can get better results using the proper menu lol.

i actually really like his c550, and so does he. his only gripe was on battlefield 3 where he said the jets looked more realistic in the color department on my g20. other than that he hasnt had any complaints about the tv. i told him, with a little calibration the tv's will probably look pretty equal to our untrained eyes

thanks again
post #2752 of 2817 Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 AM

Hi fellow C550 owners,

I need help on an old topic regarding entering service menu, and activating Cal day/night mode. I have tried looking thru the 100 pages but i might have miss it, and my question is:

i) Can the Cal day/night mode be activated in PN50C550 without CHANGING to 590? As i am only interested in Cal day/Night mode....not changing to the 590 model.

ii) Does the C550 series faced HDMI port screw up issue like the D550 when hack the service menu?

iii) Is any of the Cal day /Night mode gives good black level like the movie mode?

The reason i am asking this is coz my set, seems to produce some posterisation color issues when in movie mode....and no such issue in std and dynamic mode. But, the movie gives good black level...and the std / dynamic sucks at black level.
So, i kinda hope i can find something in between in the Cal Day/Night mode.

Your advice will be much appreciated..Thx.
post #2753 of 2817 Old 02-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Hi,

I have experience a very weird problem on my Samsung Ps50C550 plasma.

On bright scene, and specifically on Movie mode...there's a pink color banding (more like a pink blotch) that appears. Its only on the left side and middle of the screen.

The characteristics are:

i) Happens only movie mode, not on standard or dynamic...so definitely not burn in.
ii) Pops up off & on during movie viewing on movie mode.
iii) Seems to react to brightness/contrast adjustment.
iv) Very prominent on Xbox main menu screen (mostly white), and specifically on movie mode.
v) Shows up during white pattern scrolling, when it reaches the brightest white part. Again only in movie mode preset.
vi) View in 4:3 mode, set side bars to light color, and will detect it easier when it shows up on the left side, same spot.

Tried a hard default reset but problem still persist.
I wonder this is software, voltage or panel issue?

Has anybody experience this very weird problem with your set???
post #2754 of 2817 Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

@tcb2010, last question first, does this do this only with the Xbox, are you direct connected or through an AVR or HDMI switch box? Have you tried direct connect and a new HDMI cable?

Which model do you have? You have quoted both the PN50C550 and the PS...? Some of these answers may not apply to a different series.

With regards to day/night Cal option, yes, you have to change the model to C590, this also adds the ability for the set to enter 24p mode if you want to enable the Cinema Smooth feature.

Not sure about the D550 HDMI port screw up, but I have never experienced a problem with HDMI on my C550, never read about a problem like that in this thread either.

Cal day/night allows you adjust for more precise settings, so black level can be the same as movie mode if you like.

Al
post #2755 of 2817 Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Al,

My model is Asian Set...should be PS50C550.

It does not only show in Xbox, only it very prominent on xbox white screen menu, and during movie mode preset only. Does not show any problems when on std or dynamic preset. It is connected directly to the TV.

This problem shows up in Satelite TV, DVD and USB play mode as well.....and all under Movie Mode. That's the freaking weird part !!!!

Something is definitely not right with the movie mode processing.

Just found out that another owner with the same region set as mine, has the exact same problem, and the life span of our set is about the same too ( about 22 mths). Can't be such coincident, right....smells like some processing unit is going cuckoo coming to two years lifespan.
post #2756 of 2817 Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

@tcb2010, AFAIK, other then specific settings for colour and the like there is nothing unusual about the movie setting... you should be able to see the values in the menu and if so adjust one of the other settings to the exact same values to see if the binding is visible.

It could just be the perfect storm , or should I say combination of settings that allows you to see this.

Al
post #2757 of 2817 Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Al,

If you're referring to changing the settings in service menu....then it is not something that i am confident with....

Even factory reset has fail to eliminate the issue, so i am rather sure i will not be able to dial it off from the picture menu....

Its a permanent feature on my set now...so, the only route is going for service repair and see how it goes from there.
post #2758 of 2817 Old 02-11-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I am replying via Blackberry, so bear with me.

Actually I was thinking of just matching the same user settings from the regular adjustment area.

If this did't pan out then I would agree that a service call might be next.

Al
post #2759 of 2817 Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Hey guys,I haven't been on here in a while,I hope tux and al everyone still checks every now and again.I have my c550 and love it but now about 6 months out of warranty I am getting bad red pixels most prevalent on movies like cars and animated where high saturated colors are the norm.I also have a annoying buzzing centered in the set.I loved this tv and was perfect until about a month ago.I called samsung and at first they said to bad your out of warranty! I said give me a manager as I see alot of issues with bleed and red pixels,buzzing etc.They escallated me to a free warranty upgrade replacement panel.I have bought 3 other sammys also since and just had a new panel on my 42 replaced all dead red and green pixels.Anyway I am curious as I see that samsung makes only e series now,I dont want to have a new c panel replaced and have issues after a year.The whole screen is red dancing pixels again,I loved this set and had zero issues for a year and a half!The repair company said its a panel over the phone im wondering if its voltage or something.Ive had the 590 also from almost day 1.I hope you guys are still around.Thanks.
post #2760 of 2817 Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Hey! Still around!

That sucks man. Hey, is it worse when you first turn it on? I've found that when I first turn mine on it has dancing red pixels. 30 secs later it's gone. I've wondered if it'll get worse though.

Also, my buzz has gotten better. And in not just getting use to it. Ive compared it to a buzzy amp I use to use.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page