Samsung PNXXc550 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 2810 Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also have a PN58C500 that has the purple issues with a white background screen that others have desribed here. Would a firmware update possibly correct this issue? There is one available that states it improves HDMI connection issues. Has anyone tried this? And did it work?

Like others have said, everything is fine until there is a white background. Then the pink/purple flickering occurs in top right 3 of screen...going horizontally across to the left.

If this didn't work, I'll wait until I can't take it any longer.....then on to Panasonic plasma instead.

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2810 Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 537
I doubt the update will help.
post #2793 of 2810 Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I doubt the update will help.
post #2794 of 2810 Old 06-01-2013, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Same buzzing sound here, and folded power cord / ferrite core has no effect that i can determine. Buzzing is only noticeable when no sound is playing though!
post #2795 of 2810 Old 06-26-2013, 03:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown68 View Post

I too have the purple splotches/banding on white background issue with my 2 1/2 year old PN58C550. I have had this for over a year, and I also incorrectly attributed it to signal input issue. Two calls to Samsung have produced only a call from local dealer willing to look at it for $100. Sounds like others in England and Australia are getting results by mentioning "statutory warranty", "Trade Practices Commission", and "implied warranty". Any one had any good results getting Samsung to stand behind what is apparently a faulty product? Kinda frustrating when this $2,000+ TV which they advertise will last 27 years lasts 2.7 years.

I've got this issue too. It's BS for a 2.5 year old TV. I should not have gone out of my comfort zone and gotten a Samsung. I have always been a Panasonic guy. I just ordered a new Panasonic ST60. First TV to get a CNET 5 star review. I'm not even going to have the Samsung fixed. This is a known problem and they won't stand behind their products. Last Samsung of any kind that I buy.
post #2796 of 2810 Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I too will be avoiding Samsung based on my experience with them.
post #2797 of 2810 Old 07-09-2013, 08:08 PM

Same issue here with a PN58C550 purple hazing. Started about when the set was about 2.5 yrs old. Also contacted Samsung about this and was asked "would you like to set up a repair." No thanks. Have a Panasonic plasma TH-50PZ85U 50" for over 5 yrs and has been flawless. Next plasma is another Panasonic.
post #2798 of 2810 Old 08-01-2013, 10:44 AM

Hi,

About two years ago I bought this Plasma TV model (PN50C550G1F, the exact same model that was available in USA), here in Caracas, Venezuela, with which I was very happy and satisfied until March 26 this year when a black horizontal line appeared on the display screen-about a third from the bottom edge of the device- just 21 short days after the two-year warranty had expired.

When I communicated with the Samsung Attention Center-Latin America the operator who answered the call told me -since my device was out of warranty- to contact SUNG SERVI CENTER (An Authorized Samsung Repair Center here in Caracas) in order for them to sent me a technician to assess the problem of the TV set, which I did and a week later the technician came and to my disagreeable surprise he told me that the panel was bad and had to be replaced. I was dismayed because I could not understand that an equipment of this nature -with just two years of use- could have such a serious flaw. In the past I have had LG and Panasonic plasmas TVs -here and when I lived abroad- and NEVER had any kind of problem with them. Despite my disappointment I decided to proceed with the repair and paid the first 50% of the total cost that SERVI SUNG CENTER set for repairing the equipment.

A few weeks later the Repair Shop contacted me to let them take the TV out to their workshop, because they were having difficulty locating the spare part (The Panel). They had the TV about a month and then very kindly informed me that unfortunately they could not fix the TV since Samsung did not have the replacement panel and they had spent all those weeks trying to locate that spare part here in my country without any success. So they returned my TV damaged as it was before, return me the money that I had given them, and compelled me to communicate again with Samsung, which I did again. After I updated the operator of all the previous events, she told me that they would communicate with me (after much asking she told me that “in a couple of weeks”) and that meanwhile should visit the page Samsungparts.com, which I later did. In this page I found out that the two possible replacement panels for this TV model (BN96-12709A and BN96-12710A) were no longer available.

Since more than four weeks passed by and I did not receive any communication from them, and given that the black lines problem has worsened –there were then 5 of them – I contacted Samsung again and the operator this time awkward and unconvincingly explained to me that as my device was already out of warranty -and since the replacement (Panel) was discontinued- there was NOTHING they could do for me. Of course this answer angered and disappointed me, because it is not the kind of response one can expect from a serious, responsible and important company as Samsung, let alone as a response for a problem which I had not to deal with in the first place with an equipment that barely had two years of use and with which -as I said previously- I was extremely happy. This is a TV that supposedly should have had an useful life at least 5 times as much; I did not buy this TV under the premises that it was a two-year-disposable thing.

I wrote to Samsung (Both Latin and USA’s sites) but got not useful answer either.

Now I find myself with a practically new TV that is damaged (There are seven lines now and counting) and which I cannot use, or fix, or sell.

Very, very, VERY disappointed with Samsung.
post #2799 of 2810 Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 PM

The pink/purple banding problem on the right side of the screen during display of a white background seems to be a common issue with these sets. There are several 2009-2010 Samsung models experiencing this same issue. I started noticing this occasionally on my PN58C550 at about 2 years old, and the problem became progressively worse over the past six months to the point where I was noticing it all the time.

I finally called Samsung last June but they refused any help with the repair. They also told me that there were no other reports of this problem for this model TV, which I knew wasn't true based on all the reports here. I was pretty much ready to junk the TV when I found the Pink Banding thread for the PN58C8000. I was even more surprised to find a Service Bulletin on this problem which recommends a VS voltage adjustment to eliminate the banding.

Several posters have reported success with this procedure so I decided to try it. So far, it seems to have eliminated the banding completely. I posted my experience with the repair on page 3 of the thread, and also provided a picture of the power board in my TV. I hope this might be helpful to anyone who is having this problem and might want to try the repair themselves. It goes without saying that you should take adequate precautions when working inside the TV due to the high voltages present. Good luck to all.
post #2800 of 2810 Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM

Liked: 19
I am reading this entire thread, on page 60 now. Yesterday I went into the service menu and changed it to a 590. I then put in a Blu-Ray, set my PS3 24P to on and set my processor to "pass through". When I hit info on the TV it said 1080p 24hz but I never saw anything pop up that said Cinema Smooth. I went into the TV menu and did not see anything saying Cinema Smooth either, was I getting it? That was the first time I watched a Blu-Ray on the TV so I had nothing to compare it to.

Samsung PN58C550
UMC-1
XPA-5
(2) AV123 Onix Rocket 760's
AV123 Onix Rocket RSC200 (Bigfoot)
(2) AV123 Onix Rocket RS250
(2) SI 18 HT D2 8ft^3 18hz Ported 1" MDF, Granite Tops
post #2801 of 2810 Old 11-27-2013, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Does anyone know whether the PNXXc550 supports an Audio Return channel over Blu Ray?
post #2802 of 2810 Old 12-30-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKAudio View Post

I am reading this entire thread, on page 60 now. Yesterday I went into the service menu and changed it to a 590. I then put in a Blu-Ray, set my PS3 24P to on and set my processor to "pass through". When I hit info on the TV it said 1080p 24hz but I never saw anything pop up that said Cinema Smooth. I went into the TV menu and did not see anything saying Cinema Smooth either, was I getting it? That was the first time I watched a Blu-Ray on the TV so I had nothing to compare it to.

My TV is set like yours. When I play a Blu Ray the Film Mode located under " Picture Options" changes to " Cinema Smooth"
post #2803 of 2810 Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post

Does anyone know whether the PNXXc550 supports an Audio Return channel over Blu Ray?

NO
post #2804 of 2810 Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My PN63C550 has had the purple banding for about a year now. Only recently did it get bad enough to really bother me, it was generally confined to white/light screens. Read the voltage fix advice on this and debated trying it myself, it seems simple enough. Thing is mine is still under a Square Trade warranty for another year and a half. I called SQT and they had a power board delivered the next day and a repair guy here the day after that. He didn't change the board, just adjusted the voltage and the purple is gone. I would have liked the board replaced but I wasn't here at the time and don't know if the tech would have done so had I insisted. Anyway, I am happy with the fix, the set looks as good as it ever has. Hopefully it won't need another adjustment for some time. Both the SQT rep and the tech said they deal with this problem a lot on these Samsungs. This is the first time I ever bought an extended warranty on anything and this simple fix does not really pay for the $200 cost. This was my first plasma set and I was worried it would fail. Money well spent? Probably not but it's water under the bridge now and at least it's fixed.
post #2805 of 2810 Old 06-22-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Bob, as you say fixed is fixed... nice to know if I ever start to see the purple bands on my TV... was this fix discussed in detail earlier in the thread?

Al
post #2806 of 2810 Old 06-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
Does it have any audio out besides the optical audio out?
No, not on my PN63C550. One optical out is it.
post #2807 of 2810 Old 06-23-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
Bob, as you say fixed is fixed... nice to know if I ever start to see the purple bands on my TV... was this fix discussed in detail earlier in the thread?
Here's the link to the thread on the subject.
PN58C8000 Pink Banding
Interesting read and as fixes go easily doable for most of us.
post #2808 of 2810 Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olink View Post
Here's the link to the thread on the subject.
PN58C8000 Pink Banding
Interesting read and as fixes go easily doable for most of us.
Thanks Bob, yes very interesting, at this point I will file this for reference as no pink banding is visible on my set at this time. knock-knock, so far I have been extremely happy with the picture.

Al
post #2809 of 2810 Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

I'm surprised how happy I still am with my 50c550. It's my bedroom TV and so I can't help but compare the picture to my Living rooms 59d8000 almost every day. I know the calibrations and settings are different, but I'm constantly impressed by the 550s warm and rich tones. And I really think the blacks are better on the c550.

I don't want jinx anything, but I remain impressed for what was a sub $500 plasma 4 years ago.
post #2810 of 2810 Old 07-02-2014, 07:09 AM

I agree that these sets have great picture quality. I see a lot of different HD TVs when I visit friends and family and can't help comparing the picture quality to my set. Only one other friend has a plasma and his family only watches and records in SD due to the huge volume of recording they do. I always think the plasma picture is just a little better, especially flesh tones look more natural. I was sorry to hear that Samsung is discontinuing their line of plasmas. They are going to cease production in the next year or so leaving only LG out of the big companies and I hear they are expected to quit making them as well. It's about business of course and what sells is the bottom line. Glad I bought one while I had the chance, I've enjoyed it for several years now and still get compliments on how good it looks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page