Samsung PNXXc550 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2851 of 2863 Old 01-04-2017, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 21
PN58C550 is making my speakers all hum with new receiver..need help.

Hi Everyone. I'm not sure if anyone still follows this thread but I thought I'd give it a shot. I've owned my PN58C550 since 2011 when it first came out and it worked great. I just bought a new receiver last week and went to set it up. As soon as the speakers kick in for the setup to confirm all the speaker connections I get hum/noise out of all my speakers. I noticed that when I turn off the TV this all goes away and everything is fine. Additionally i plugged my new receiver into a different plasma at my house and had no issues at all. I changed all the power cords and plugged it into a different outlet and still get the same thing. The TV is pumping noise into my speakers. Has anyone else had this issue with this TV? The new receiver is a Denon x2300w and my old receiver which didn't show this problem was a Denon 2310-CI. Any help or input appreciated. I was looking to upgrade my TV this year but not quite yet. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2863 Old 01-04-2017, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I only pass video from the AVR to the TV via HDMI. That said, one HDMI input failed and I am now getting purple bands on white background when watching DIRECTV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source (F), Matinee (C), MotionFX (S), Motion4 (.4), (2) Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #2853 of 2863 Old 01-05-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm not sure if anyone still follows this thread but I thought I'd give it a shot. I've owned my PN58C550 since 2011 when it first came out and it worked great. I just bought a new receiver last week and went to set it up. As soon as the speakers kick in for the setup to confirm all the speaker connections I get hum/noise out of all my speakers. I noticed that when I turn off the TV this all goes away and everything is fine. Additionally i plugged my new receiver into a different plasma at my house and had no issues at all. I changed all the power cords and plugged it into a different outlet and still get the same thing. The TV is pumping noise into my speakers. Has anyone else had this issue with this TV? The new receiver is a Denon x2300w and my old receiver which didn't show this problem was a Denon 2310-CI. Any help or input appreciated. I was looking to upgrade my TV this year but not quite yet. Thank you.
I still use my 58C550 daily, it is connected via HDMI to the AVR... you don't specifically say how you have it connected? Based on the bolded statement above you have speaker connections going to the AVR from the TV?

Al

post #2854 of 2863 Old 01-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
I still use my 58C550 daily, it is connected via HDMI to the AVR... you don't specifically say how you have it connected? Based on the bolded statement above you have speaker connections going to the AVR from the TV?
Hi Al. I remember your name on this thread from long ago when I got this TV! Thanks for the reply. It's connected to the AVR via HDMI and the AVR is connected to the speakers. Standard setup. Never had this problem with my last receiver and no other TVs I've plugged into the new receiver have this issue. Just this Sammy plasma. Any ideas? I'm buying a new OLED this year so not a huge deal but I was hoping ot use this TV for a few months longer until I did that. Trying to stagger purchases in my move to 4k. Thanks again!
post #2855 of 2863 Old 01-05-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Al. I remember your name on this thread from long ago when I got this TV! Thanks for the reply. It's connected to the AVR via HDMI and the AVR is connected to the speakers. Standard setup. Never had this problem with my last receiver and no other TVs I've plugged into the new receiver have this issue. Just this Sammy plasma. Any ideas? I'm buying a new OLED this year so not a huge deal but I was hoping ot use this TV for a few months longer until I did that. Trying to stagger purchases in my move to 4k. Thanks again!
Yes, I recall the conversations, still great to get this kind of longevity from a TV! I too would like a 4K OLED, the 65B6 would be my choice, but since I don't have any 4K sources as yet I have to opportunity to wait for a bit yet.

You mention that the other AVR doesn't do this, interesting that the new AVR does. I know you tried another plasma, it would be a bummer if there is some incompatibility between the new AVR and the 58C but it is not impossible.

So did you try a different HDMI cable and did you try one of the other HDMI inputs on the TV?

Al
post #2856 of 2863 Old 01-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I recall the conversations, still great to get this kind of longevity from a TV! I too would like a 4K OLED, the 65B6 would be my choice, but since I don't have any 4K sources as yet I have to opportunity to wait for a bit yet.

You mention that the other AVR doesn't do this, interesting that the new AVR does. I know you tried another plasma, it would be a bummer if there is some incompatibility between the new AVR and the 58C but it is not impossible.

So did you try a different HDMI cable and did you try one of the other HDMI inputs on the TV?
Yes it is a great TV! I'm waiting for the pricing to become available for the 2017 LG OLEDs that were announced yesterday before I pull the trigger. Looking at the B6 as well but gonna wait until I find out what the new ones cost.

Yes I tried 2 different TVs (both another plasma and LCD), different power outlets, all different cables. You name it and I tried it. It seems directly related to the TV. I also find it odd that the old receiver didn't have this behavior. If you've got any other thoughts, please let me know. Thanks as always for taking the time to respond. Greatly appreciated!
post #2857 of 2863 Old 01-05-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes it is a great TV! I'm waiting for the pricing to become available for the 2017 LG OLEDs that were announced yesterday before I pull the trigger. Looking at the B6 as well but gonna wait until I find out what the new ones cost.

Yes I tried 2 different TVs (both another plasma and LCD), different power outlets, all different cables. You name it and I tried it. It seems directly related to the TV. I also find it odd that the old receiver didn't have this behavior. If you've got any other thoughts, please let me know. Thanks as always for taking the time to respond. Greatly appreciated!
You're welcome but sorry for no answer yet, I will keep thinking though!

Didn't see that new 2017 LG announcement yet, but at $4K for the B6 my Sammy is fine for now. We have been chatting about the Canadian pricing for these sets in that thread ad nausea!

But I see Optoma has announced a 4K projector for under $3000 US, so that may well be my first upgrade now!

Al
post #2858 of 2863 Old 01-24-2017, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just a note to say, I got rid of this tv because of the dreaded vertical lines. I heard it was a voltage problem and couldn't fix easily enough for me. It was still watchable; but still had the "hum" from day1. I'm happy for those who are still using their set!
post #2859 of 2863 Old 02-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Probably not many people following this thread anymore, but here goes:

I picked up one of these cheap and it had the purple banding. Fixed that with the logic s/w upgrade. I decided to check the vs & va because there are still some issues with white sparkles on dark colors and non-uniform whites. Vs=463 & Va=120! Sticker says it should be 210 & 55. This make sense to anyone? I'm hesitant to adjust when the numbers are that far off.
post #2860 of 2863 Old 02-11-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSideWitneSS View Post
Probably not many people following this thread anymore, but here goes:

I picked up one of these cheap and it had the purple banding. Fixed that with the logic s/w upgrade. I decided to check the vs & va because there are still some issues with white sparkles on dark colors and non-uniform whites. Vs=463 & Va=120! Sticker says it should be 210 & 55. This make sense to anyone? I'm hesitant to adjust when the numbers are that far off.
As usual, I should have just stopped and thought for a second. Had multimeter on AC. Switched to DC and voltages make sense. Picture looks better too!
post #2861 of 2863 Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As usual, I should have just stopped and thought for a second. Had multimeter on AC. Switched to DC and voltages make sense. Picture looks better too!
Glad it worked out, so what model did you get and what was a good price?

Al
post #2862 of 2863 Old 02-15-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Glad it worked out, so what model did you get and what was a good price?
I bought a pn58c550g1f. Voltage fix didn't completely eliminate the sparkles, but I can't see it from normal viewing distance. There is a mild buzz but I can't hear it unless it's muted. The Logic upgrade COMPLETELY eliminated the purple/pink bands. This is my 2nd night watching a plasma picture again and I'm loving the deep rich blacks and colors.

It says don't talk prices, but that was probably when people were buying it new retail. I got it on CL for rhymes with schmifty.
post #2863 of 2863 Old Today, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bought a pn58c550g1f. Voltage fix didn't completely eliminate the sparkles, but I can't see it from normal viewing distance. There is a mild buzz but I can't hear it unless it's muted. The Logic upgrade COMPLETELY eliminated the purple/pink bands. This is my 2nd night watching a plasma picture again and I'm loving the deep rich blacks and colors.

It says don't talk prices, but that was probably when people were buying it new retail. I got it on CL for rhymes with schmifty.
Heck of a deal, way to recycle a decent TV!

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays