Samsung PNXXc550 Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #2851 of 2875 Old 01-04-2017, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 24
PN58C550 is making my speakers all hum with new receiver..need help.

Hi Everyone. I'm not sure if anyone still follows this thread but I thought I'd give it a shot. I've owned my PN58C550 since 2011 when it first came out and it worked great. I just bought a new receiver last week and went to set it up. As soon as the speakers kick in for the setup to confirm all the speaker connections I get hum/noise out of all my speakers. I noticed that when I turn off the TV this all goes away and everything is fine. Additionally i plugged my new receiver into a different plasma at my house and had no issues at all. I changed all the power cords and plugged it into a different outlet and still get the same thing. The TV is pumping noise into my speakers. Has anyone else had this issue with this TV? The new receiver is a Denon x2300w and my old receiver which didn't show this problem was a Denon 2310-CI. Any help or input appreciated. I was looking to upgrade my TV this year but not quite yet. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 2875 Old 01-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I only pass video from the AVR to the TV via HDMI. That said, one HDMI input failed and I am now getting purple bands on white background when watching DIRECTV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source (F), Matinee (C), MotionFX (S), Motion4 (.4), (2) Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #2853 of 2875 Old 01-05-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm not sure if anyone still follows this thread but I thought I'd give it a shot. I've owned my PN58C550 since 2011 when it first came out and it worked great. I just bought a new receiver last week and went to set it up. As soon as the speakers kick in for the setup to confirm all the speaker connections I get hum/noise out of all my speakers. I noticed that when I turn off the TV this all goes away and everything is fine. Additionally i plugged my new receiver into a different plasma at my house and had no issues at all. I changed all the power cords and plugged it into a different outlet and still get the same thing. The TV is pumping noise into my speakers. Has anyone else had this issue with this TV? The new receiver is a Denon x2300w and my old receiver which didn't show this problem was a Denon 2310-CI. Any help or input appreciated. I was looking to upgrade my TV this year but not quite yet. Thank you.
I still use my 58C550 daily, it is connected via HDMI to the AVR... you don't specifically say how you have it connected? Based on the bolded statement above you have speaker connections going to the AVR from the TV?

Al

post #2854 of 2875 Old 01-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post
I still use my 58C550 daily, it is connected via HDMI to the AVR... you don't specifically say how you have it connected? Based on the bolded statement above you have speaker connections going to the AVR from the TV?
Hi Al. I remember your name on this thread from long ago when I got this TV! Thanks for the reply. It's connected to the AVR via HDMI and the AVR is connected to the speakers. Standard setup. Never had this problem with my last receiver and no other TVs I've plugged into the new receiver have this issue. Just this Sammy plasma. Any ideas? I'm buying a new OLED this year so not a huge deal but I was hoping ot use this TV for a few months longer until I did that. Trying to stagger purchases in my move to 4k. Thanks again!
post #2855 of 2875 Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi Al. I remember your name on this thread from long ago when I got this TV! Thanks for the reply. It's connected to the AVR via HDMI and the AVR is connected to the speakers. Standard setup. Never had this problem with my last receiver and no other TVs I've plugged into the new receiver have this issue. Just this Sammy plasma. Any ideas? I'm buying a new OLED this year so not a huge deal but I was hoping ot use this TV for a few months longer until I did that. Trying to stagger purchases in my move to 4k. Thanks again!
Yes, I recall the conversations, still great to get this kind of longevity from a TV! I too would like a 4K OLED, the 65B6 would be my choice, but since I don't have any 4K sources as yet I have to opportunity to wait for a bit yet.

You mention that the other AVR doesn't do this, interesting that the new AVR does. I know you tried another plasma, it would be a bummer if there is some incompatibility between the new AVR and the 58C but it is not impossible.

So did you try a different HDMI cable and did you try one of the other HDMI inputs on the TV?

Al
post #2856 of 2875 Old 01-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, I recall the conversations, still great to get this kind of longevity from a TV! I too would like a 4K OLED, the 65B6 would be my choice, but since I don't have any 4K sources as yet I have to opportunity to wait for a bit yet.

You mention that the other AVR doesn't do this, interesting that the new AVR does. I know you tried another plasma, it would be a bummer if there is some incompatibility between the new AVR and the 58C but it is not impossible.

So did you try a different HDMI cable and did you try one of the other HDMI inputs on the TV?
Yes it is a great TV! I'm waiting for the pricing to become available for the 2017 LG OLEDs that were announced yesterday before I pull the trigger. Looking at the B6 as well but gonna wait until I find out what the new ones cost.

Yes I tried 2 different TVs (both another plasma and LCD), different power outlets, all different cables. You name it and I tried it. It seems directly related to the TV. I also find it odd that the old receiver didn't have this behavior. If you've got any other thoughts, please let me know. Thanks as always for taking the time to respond. Greatly appreciated!
post #2857 of 2875 Old 01-05-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes it is a great TV! I'm waiting for the pricing to become available for the 2017 LG OLEDs that were announced yesterday before I pull the trigger. Looking at the B6 as well but gonna wait until I find out what the new ones cost.

Yes I tried 2 different TVs (both another plasma and LCD), different power outlets, all different cables. You name it and I tried it. It seems directly related to the TV. I also find it odd that the old receiver didn't have this behavior. If you've got any other thoughts, please let me know. Thanks as always for taking the time to respond. Greatly appreciated!
You're welcome but sorry for no answer yet, I will keep thinking though!

Didn't see that new 2017 LG announcement yet, but at $4K for the B6 my Sammy is fine for now. We have been chatting about the Canadian pricing for these sets in that thread ad nausea!

But I see Optoma has announced a 4K projector for under $3000 US, so that may well be my first upgrade now!

Al
post #2858 of 2875 Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just a note to say, I got rid of this tv because of the dreaded vertical lines. I heard it was a voltage problem and couldn't fix easily enough for me. It was still watchable; but still had the "hum" from day1. I'm happy for those who are still using their set!
post #2859 of 2875 Old 02-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Probably not many people following this thread anymore, but here goes:

I picked up one of these cheap and it had the purple banding. Fixed that with the logic s/w upgrade. I decided to check the vs & va because there are still some issues with white sparkles on dark colors and non-uniform whites. Vs=463 & Va=120! Sticker says it should be 210 & 55. This make sense to anyone? I'm hesitant to adjust when the numbers are that far off.
post #2860 of 2875 Old 02-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSideWitneSS View Post

I picked up one of these cheap and it had the purple banding. Fixed that with the logic s/w upgrade. I decided to check the vs & va because there are still some issues with white sparkles on dark colors and non-uniform whites. Vs=463 & Va=120! Sticker says it should be 210 & 55. This make sense to anyone? I'm hesitant to adjust when the numbers are that far off.
As usual, I should have just stopped and thought for a second. Had multimeter on AC. Switched to DC and voltages make sense. Picture looks better too!
post #2861 of 2875 Old 02-12-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As usual, I should have just stopped and thought for a second. Had multimeter on AC. Switched to DC and voltages make sense. Picture looks better too!
Glad it worked out, so what model did you get and what was a good price?

Al
post #2862 of 2875 Old 02-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Glad it worked out, so what model did you get and what was a good price?
I bought a pn58c550g1f. Voltage fix didn't completely eliminate the sparkles, but I can't see it from normal viewing distance. There is a mild buzz but I can't hear it unless it's muted. The Logic upgrade COMPLETELY eliminated the purple/pink bands. This is my 2nd night watching a plasma picture again and I'm loving the deep rich blacks and colors.

It says don't talk prices, but that was probably when people were buying it new retail. I got it on CL for rhymes with schmifty.
Spinal Tap likes this.
post #2863 of 2875 Old 02-17-2017, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bought a pn58c550g1f. Voltage fix didn't completely eliminate the sparkles, but I can't see it from normal viewing distance. There is a mild buzz but I can't hear it unless it's muted. The Logic upgrade COMPLETELY eliminated the purple/pink bands. This is my 2nd night watching a plasma picture again and I'm loving the deep rich blacks and colors.

It says don't talk prices, but that was probably when people were buying it new retail. I got it on CL for rhymes with schmifty.
Heck of a deal, way to recycle a decent TV!

Al
post #2864 of 2875 Old 03-14-2017, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Quote:

(If you can still remember) once you switched your voltmeter to DC what were your before- and after-adjustment voltage readings? And what picture improvement did you see? Thanks!

Last edited by seabrook; 03-14-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #2865 of 2875 Old 04-06-2017, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone ever found a fix for the horizontal line issue? I have three lines now, ever-present, one pixel wide. Barely visible once you're 8 feet or so away. Otherwise great picture. I'd hate to get rid of this TV.
post #2866 of 2875 Old 04-06-2017, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow its been nearly 8 years since my last post on this thread. I still have this TV and the picture is IMO still great especially when watching a bluray @24. Glad yours is still working well Al. We must have gotten a good batch.
However to get to the point I just took it down from the wall and have retired it to storage until I decide its fate. I may set it up in spare room, or sell it off.
I have been keeping up to date recently on the new tech and the price points for the newer models. I have never been one to go for the top of the line TVs this is obvious from the 2009-10 purchase of the PN58 plasma, which was a mid level set. This is an old thread and price isnt an issue anymore but I spent between $1500-$2000 on the plasma.
I just picked up a Samsung SUHD 4K Ultra HD LED TV (KS8000). Its one step down from their flagship model the 9000 series. I jumped on this because they have replaced it with the QLED for 2017. Most reviewers have said the 2016 model is a huge step up in quality and technology from the 2015, but that the 2017 is not much better than the 2016. (The 2016 is nearly half the price while they last) Oh and the 65" I got weighs 50lbs.
The TV is amazing and it has all the latest and future tech so it should be fine for years to come. I now stream Netflix, Amazon Video, in 4K and HDR. (AMAZING Picture!)

Sorry for the semi review but if any of my old plasma comrades are ready to pounce the price points are great for the quality you get. (A 55"and 65" is under what I paid for my old plasma 8 yrs ago, and about half as much as an LG OLED) fyi
post #2867 of 2875 Old 04-06-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinal Tap View Post
Wow its been nearly 8 years since my last post on this thread. I still have this TV and the picture is IMO still great especially when watching a bluray @24. Glad yours is still working well Al. We must have gotten a good batch.
However to get to the point I just took it down from the wall and have retired it to storage until I decide its fate. I may set it up in spare room, or sell it off.
I have been keeping up to date recently on the new tech and the price points for the newer models. I have never been one to go for the top of the line TVs this is obvious from the 2009-10 purchase of the PN58 plasma, which was a mid level set. This is an old thread and price isnt an issue anymore but I spent between $1500-$2000 on the plasma.
I just picked up a Samsung SUHD 4K Ultra HD LED TV (KS8000). Its one step down from their flagship model the 9000 series. I jumped on this because they have replaced it with the QLED for 2017. Most reviewers have said the 2016 model is a huge step up in quality and technology from the 2015, but that the 2017 is not much better than the 2016. (The 2016 is nearly half the price while they last) Oh and the 65" I got weighs 50lbs.
The TV is amazing and it has all the latest and future tech so it should be fine for years to come. I now stream Netflix, Amazon Video, in 4K and HDR. (AMAZING Picture!)

Sorry for the semi review but if any of my old plasma comrades are ready to pounce the price points are great for the quality you get. (A 55"and 65" is under what I paid for my old plasma 8 yrs ago, and about half as much as an LG OLED) fyi
Yes we have had a great run with this set, FWIW I hope it hangs in there for a bit yet... Because you brought up a great point, the 'non-OLED' offerings are a bit week when it comes to value for the dollar, as we see the market evolve, the LED/LCD market will see a few of us purchase either because we can't bear to pay the price for an OLED, or there is a desire for 4K capability!

As much as I would like a 65" OLED, the price stops me, especially when I watch my PN58 Plasma, I don't see a need yet, sure there is now enough 4K content to jump but I think that unless you can make a calculated purchase like you mention (especially a deal on a 2016 4K model), then the plasma stays...

Having said the above I will see what is available locally when it comes to a TV like a KS8000, you never know, a great deal always trumps the sanity of waiting, especially when it comes to me and new technology!

Al
post #2868 of 2875 Old 04-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

We'll at least my post got some old friends chatting again. I'm going to live with the vetrtical lines and the great picture a little longer, since it's the bedroom tv.
post #2869 of 2875 Old 04-06-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
We'll at least my post got some old friends chatting again. I'm going to live with the vetrtical lines and the great picture a little longer, since it's the bedroom tv.

Sorry about not being able to help, because of how well this TV has been for me I have no first hand knowledge of the problem you descibe or a fix for it... at least more traffic to the thread might bring a response from someone who does!

Al
post #2870 of 2875 Old 04-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

I understand, i just thought it was funny.
post #2871 of 2875 Old 04-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
I understand, i just thought it was funny.
Sorry my friend, unfortunately this type of TV is getting scarce these days. The support for it follows suit. I would try expanding your search to all Samsung Plasmas during the 2009-2010 dates and look for horizontal lines help; heres one http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1083853-does-your-samsung-plasma-suffer-horizontal-line-bleed.html
post #2872 of 2875 Old 04-07-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Yes we have had a great run with this set, FWIW I hope it hangs in there for a bit yet... Because you brought up a great point, the 'non-OLED' offerings are a bit week when it comes to value for the dollar, as we see the market evolve, the LED/LCD market will see a few of us purchase either because we can't bear to pay the price for an OLED, or there is a desire for 4K capability!

As much as I would like a 65" OLED, the price stops me, especially when I watch my PN58 Plasma, I don't see a need yet, sure there is now enough 4K content to jump but I think that unless you can make a calculated purchase like you mention (especially a deal on a 2016 4K model), then the plasma stays...

Having said the above I will see what is available locally when it comes to a TV like a KS8000, you never know, a great deal always trumps the sanity of waiting, especially when it comes to me and new technology!
I couldnt agree more. The one thing I do miss about the old set is how elegant the black frame around the screen looked. I always thought it would be nice to have all screen and no frame but I do miss the look. However the TV size on the new 65 with no border is actually shorter and about a half inch wider. So it took the same footprint.
I think my decision was based more on technology. Its lack of "Smartness" I guess you could say. There is definitely a new learning curve in technology with all the new video enhancements and streaming technology. I enjoy being a student of technology again.
Good luck I hope your set lasts you many more years Al.
Al Sherwood likes this.
post #2873 of 2875 Old 04-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinal Tap View Post
Sorry my friend, unfortunately this type of TV is getting scarce these days. The support for it follows suit. I would try expanding your search to all Samsung Plasmas during the 2009-2010 dates and look for horizontal lines help; heres one http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1083853-does-your-samsung-plasma-suffer-horizontal-line-bleed.html
Thank You!
Spinal Tap likes this.
post #2874 of 2875 Old 05-10-2017, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

I also followed up the logic board firmware update with raising the Vs voltage level. With a white background on the screen I simply raised the voltage until the screen was without any red color noise (way above the recommended Vs voltage value!). I did notice that when switching the screen to a blue background there were a bit of sparkles in the upper right-hand corner. That seems to be the price for having clean whites.

Over time the set does gets hot (AC power measurements show 350-450 Watts), perhaps due to the higher voltage? Oh well, when the 'magic smoke' comes out I'll hopefully be able to swing an OLED set.

Last edited by seabrook; 06-25-2017 at 05:18 PM.
post #2875 of 2875 Old 07-16-2017, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
need setup info PN58C540

hi guys can someone give me the setup /config for the picture mode ? for my PN58C540

i went to see how many hour i got and it end up loosing all settings picture was back to dynamic mode and all settings seem to be reset.

thanks

sylvain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page