Official Panasonic TC-PxxVT20/25 Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK!! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 12:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares View Post

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been posting the past couple days. I have family in town visiting and a lot of things going on.

Just a quick update to my VT20 experience... Overall picture quality continues to impress me , but there are 2 issues worth reporting, with one being a possible deal breaker for me.

---------------
Floating Blacks
---------------

Just to confirm the behavior is not present when viewing the same movie on any other TV in my house, so it's definitely a VT20 issue. I see that another 2010 owner (G20) has said he noticed the same thing on the same movie. Furthermore, I've seen a couple more examples of this floating-black behavior, including once in a video game (Aliens VS Predator). It's a very dark game and the lighting changes back and forth a lot. Just like the credits in that movie, the VT20 is... pumping the screen up and down with brightness/darkness. That sounds weird, I know, but I'm not sure how else to describe it.

The good news: it does not happen very often. The bad news: when it does it's very obvious and distracting.

-------
Flicker
-------

I'm not sure what else to call it besides "flicker"... Flashing? Strobing?... anyway, I will attempt to describe it more clearly.

-- If the scene is mostly filled with dark colored objects, but has a 'light' blue sky or 'white' clouds... the flicker appears to come from the sky/clouds.

-- If the scene is a dark room with a single bright lamp... the flicker appears to come from the lamp.

-- If part of the screen has big white box, the flicker appears to come from the box.

The point being... it always seems to come from the bright, or light colored parts of the screen.

And a 'solid' white screen, or solid 'light' color screen is the most obvious.

And sometimes, for whatever reason, focusing left or right of the screen makes the effect more intense.

--------------------------------

My roommate initially said he did not see any flicker, but after watching the TV for a bit longer he notices some flicker, but is not bothered by it unless the screen is solid white. He admits it's not normal and described it as a... "fast strobe-light you can barely see".

After having a group of people view the TV today, it seems that everyone notices the flicker if they watch for a while, always in the 'white' or light colored parts of the screen, or especially during pure solid white screens like some commercial backgrounds etc.

The extent it bothers people ranges from extreme to barely noticeable.

For me, it's pretty bad. It bothers me a lot, and it's giving me headaches and eye strain. I keep waking up thinking today will be the day it goes away, but it's not. This appears to be a deal breaker for me, but I'm left wondering the obvious question here...

Is there something defective with this particular VT20 unit?

Or has some design change made this flicker a new problem?

Keep in mind I've owned 3 other Panasonic plasma models in the past, and never bothered by any flicker.

What do you guys think is goiong on?

On my G20 running at 60hz, I see the flicker when watching "Batman: The Dark Knight" in several scenes-- like when he lands the plane on the water when he is out on the boat with the girls. Also, as I understand it, the 96hz refresh rate on the new 3D VT20/25's is split between the left and right eye, so that you're only getting 48hz in each image. I'm not certain of this by any means, I read that somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

---------------
Floating Blacks
---------------

Just to confirm the behavior is not present when viewing the same movie on any other TV in my house, so it's definitely a VT20 issue. I see that another 2010 owner (G20) has said he noticed the same thing on the same movie. Furthermore, I've seen a couple more examples of this floating-black behavior, including once in a video game (Aliens VS Predator). It's a very dark game and the lighting changes back and forth a lot. Just like the credits in that movie, the VT20 is... pumping the screen up and down with brightness/darkness. That sounds weird, I know, but I'm not sure how else to describe it.

The good news: it does not happen very often. The bad news: when it does it's very obvious and distracting.

-------
Flicker
-------

I'm not sure what else to call it besides "flicker"... Flashing? Strobing?... anyway, I will attempt to describe it more clearly.

-- If the scene is mostly filled with dark colored objects, but has a 'light' blue sky or 'white' clouds... the flicker appears to come from the sky/clouds.

-- If the scene is a dark room with a single bright lamp... the flicker appears to come from the lamp.

-- If part of the screen has big white box, the flicker appears to come from the box.

The point being... it always seems to come from the bright, or light colored parts of the screen.

And sometimes, for whatever reason, focusing left or right of the screen makes the effect more intense.

In the G20/25 thread D-Nice stated that he was able to eliminate the floating blacks on those sets by reducing the brightness. Have you tried this yet to remedy the floating blacks? It might suck to have to make the picture less accurate by lowering the brighness, but if it was the lesser of 2 evils then I'd do that if it worked.

I'm not sure what to think about the flicker other than it is probably not something that is just on your set, but on others as well.
What are the chances that the floating blacks and flicker could be adressed by a firmware upgrade?

Is that auto ABL feature from last year present in this years as well? Similar to the flicker, this would kick in when a really bright white screen was displayed and the contrast was set at a certain level and the auto ABL would lower the contrast (or something) which would be visible on the screen.

Have you done any gaming where there would be a bright white static hud on the screen, namely a racing game? If so have you noticed any temporary IR from that? On last years models it only took a few minutes for bright white text or huds to stick on the screen and I'm wondering if that is improved at all.
post #273 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't been posting the past couple days. I have family in town visiting and a lot of things going on.

Just a quick update to my VT20 experience... Overall picture quality continues to impress me , but there are 2 issues worth reporting, with one being a possible deal breaker for me.

---------------
Floating Blacks
---------------

-------
Flicker
-------

My roommate initially said he did not see any flicker, but after watching the TV for a bit longer he notices some flicker, but is not bothered by it unless the screen is solid white. He admits it's not normal and described it as a... "fast strobe-light you can barely see".

After having a group of people view the TV today, it seems that everyone notices the flicker if they watch for a while, always in the 'white' or light colored parts of the screen, or especially during pure solid white screens like some commercial backgrounds etc.

For me, it's pretty bad. It bothers me a lot, and it's giving me headaches and eye strain. I keep waking up thinking today will be the day it goes away, but it's not. This appears to be a deal breaker for me, but I'm left wondering the obvious question here...

Keep in mind I've owned 3 other Panasonic plasma models in the past, and never bothered by any flicker.

it's not just your VT20 that this is happens to, my 2009 tc-p42s1 has the same issue. i first started noticing it around the olympics because off all the light background during the outdoor scenes with lots of snow. at first i thought it was the channel but then i noticed it on hockeyit was even worse on the ice. i called panasonic and they had a tech come out and he could see it as well. he stated that they had received other complaints about this same issue and that panasonic was looking into it. i told him i had never noticed this on my plasma until around the olympics. he stated i should wait a couple of weeks and give panasonic a call to see if there is a fix ( note he did replace a board on my tv while he was there to see if that would fix it) well i waited a couple weeks and called panasonic and they now state this is normally function of the tv and there is nothing to fix. i told them they have to be kidding. i told the csr that the tech even sees it. i then went to ask her another question and she stated again the tv is functioning correctly. i was not happy and did the online csr thing and told them a tech had come out just two weeks ago and replaced a board on my tv for this problem , the csr put me on hold and told me to contact the tech and have them come back out and so i called them and he stated there was nothing he could do and his panasonic field rep stated that they are not going to do anything. i called panasonic back and told them what the tech stated she put me on hold and stated they would send all my info to the field rep for my area to see what they could do. i told her that it was probably the same rep that told my tech there is nothing that panasonic will do and she stated that's all she could do as it was up to him. she stated they would contact me in 3 days. i am pretty sure i already know whats going to happen NOTHING. sorry for the long rant but just be for warned about this flicker or pulsating light background panasonic seems to think it is normal yet i don't see it on any of my other 4 tvs in my house. i believe the tech told me it is a problem with the power saver feature and he thought panasonic could issue a firmware to fix it. oh then there is the whole black level rise issue ,but i'm not going to get into that.
post #274 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:

-------
Flicker
-------

Does it flicker with different sources (blu-ray, STB, gaming consoles, etc)?

Have you tried it watching content at 60hz using 3:2 pulldown, 48hz 2:2 pulldown and 96hz 4:4 pulldown? Same results on each? Does your blu-ray player support 24p output?

Someone in the G20/G25 said room lighting (especially fluorescent) could be a factor: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=805 Are you watching with any lights on?

There is a VT20 flicker discussion here also http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18368353

Thanks for sharing with the community. I'm considering a 65VT25 for purchase this year so I'm curious about any issues like this.
post #275 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

---------------
Floating Blacks
---------------

-------
Flicker
-------

Floating blacks and Filcker (again!)

Glad I didn't wait for one of these and bought a Pioneer 500M 2 wekks ago
post #276 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS View Post

Floating blacks and Filcker (again!)

Glad I didn't wait for one of these and bought a Pioneer 500M 2 wekks ago

Your Pioneer 500M will blow up on Dec. 12, 2012.
post #277 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 222
It sounds as if you are very sensitive to 60Hz flicker. If that is the case, no plasma is going to do you justice. You will probably have to invest in a LCD.
Quote:

---------------
Floating Blacks
---------------

-------
Flicker
-------

post #278 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

It sounds as if you are very sensitive to 60Hz flicker. If that is the case, no plasma is going to do you justice. You will probably have to invest in a LCD.

D-NICE i also notice flicker/( i see it more as a change in brightness on bright scenes like a dark white and then back to a normal white) ,but i didn't start to notice this until after 6+ months of use. i swear i never noticed this until the olympics came on and now i see it on all bright scenes. before when i would watch hockey i never saw it ,now i see it on every hockey game i watch specifically the ice surface. the tech that came out i believe he stated it's the power saver feature kicking on and off and he could see it to. he stated that panasonic was looking into a fix a few weeks ago ,but now like the black level rise he stated they say it's normal. i just find it weird how i never saw it for so long and now i can see it all the time. i have even tried to see if i can see it at a store like BB on one of the panasonics on display but i never do. any thoughts thanks
post #279 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Are you saying that the Panasonic VT20 is limited to 60Hz?

My Pioneer plasma does cadence detection taking 60Hz NTSC DVDs and makes it 72Hz, Blu-ray is also 72Hz and broadcasts in the UK are 50Hz (PAL) and are double framed to 100Hz so no flicker. I am very sensitive to flicker and can confirm that the Pioneer has no flicker problems. However, your broadcasts are at 60Hz and I thought that cadence detection worked by detecting the original 24 frames per second, where most broadcasts would not have been recorded in this format in the first place - so the Pioneer might also fall down in this area aswell?

If all of the Panasonics are limited to 60Hz, this explains why all of the G10s, V10s, Z range and G20s are flickering whether fed with Blu-rays or otherwise.

I've never noticed any flicker on LG or Samsung plasmas either.
post #280 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwine03 View Post

On my G20 running at 60hz, I see the flicker when watching "Batman: The Dark Knight" in several scenes-- like when he lands the plane on the water when he is out on the boat with the girls. Also, as I understand it, the 96hz refresh rate on the new 3D VT20/25's is split between the left and right eye, so that you're only getting 48hz in each image. I'm not certain of this by any means, I read that somewhere.

No, for 3D on the Vt25, supposed to watch on 120Hz, so 60 hz per eye. A review said if you forced the tv to be set in 96hz (regarding 3d menu I believe) there was noticable flicker. Unless you were talking about something else.
post #281 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwinter View Post

Are you saying that the Panasonic VT20 is limited to 60Hz?

No and I have no idea how you came to this conclusion.

The VT20 is capable of 96Hz with 1080p/24 content.
post #282 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 02:14 PM

By how much has the black level increased on your VT20, D-Nice?

Enquiring minds need answers!

(before they blow their once-in-five-years TV upgrade budget on a set)
post #283 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:

I can confirm that the neo-PDPs flicker under certain conditions where other plasmas do not so, happily, you don't have to invest in an LCD. I have access to many of these TVs for side by side comparison and to my eyes it is glaringly obvious with any given input/fr
post #284 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvadc View Post

In the G20/25 thread D-Nice stated that he was able to eliminate the floating blacks on those sets by reducing the brightness. Have you tried this yet to remedy the floating blacks? It might suck to have to make the picture less accurate by lowering the brighness, but if it was the lesser of 2 evils then I'd do that if it worked.

I'm not sure what to think about the flicker other than it is probably not something that is just on your set, but on others as well.
What are the chances that the floating blacks and flicker could be adressed by a firmware upgrade?

I had my brightness all the way down to a 20 from a 50 and still saw the floating blacks so lowering the brightness does not work.

As for flicker, i still have seen nothing resumbling flicker on my TV with Blu-rays coming from a PS3.
post #285 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanga View Post

By how much has the black level increased on your VT20, D-Nice?

I don't have a VT20. Perhaps you have amnesia from yesterday???

Quote:

Enquiring minds need answers!

I could care less what you want to know. You had the audacity to insult me yesterday and now you want me to provide you with information??? Buy a VT20/25 and do your own measurements.
post #286 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20Fan View Post

As for flicker, i still have seen nothing resumbling flicker on my TV with Blu-rays coming from a PS3.

You are lucky not to see it, for those who do it's a real deal breaker. In pretty much every other respect this set is right up there pound for pound but I'd personally assess it for flicker before buying it. The light grey of the UK G10 satellite tuning screen is a great way of testing susceptibility, you'll know straight away.
post #287 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Let's try not to piss off D-Nice too much. He's full of useful information. We need him.

One day at a time...
post #288 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:

I don't have a VT20. Perhaps you have amnesia from yesterday???

I could care less what you want to know. You had the audacity to insult me yesterday and now you want me to provide you with information??? Buy a VT20/25 and do your own measurements.

I had the audacity to insult you? That's an interesting view of yourself you have there.

I thought you were unhelpful to the point of being rude in that thread and called it as such. If I hurt your feelings, I sincerely apologise.
post #289 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombac99 View Post

You are lucky not to see it, for those who do it's a real deal breaker. In pretty much every other respect this set is right up there pound for pound but I'd personally assess it for flicker before buying it. The light grey of the UK G10 satellite tuning screen is a great way of testing susceptibility, you'll know straight away.

Does the screen just flicker? I still dont fully understand it. I have watched 8 Blu-rays since i bought the TV and the only thing i have seen is floating blacks.
post #290 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20Fan View Post

Does the screen just flicker? I still dont fully understand it. I have watched 8 Blu-rays since i bought the TV and the only thing i have seen is floating blacks.

Don't start looking for problems!
Don't worry, if you haven't seen it by now then you aren't going to. If you really must search for it then look at something next to your TV so that the plasma is in your peripheral vision and put on some light grey content.
I wouldn't bother if I were you, in fact I'd stop reading this forum altogether for a bit, it'll only induce paranoia.
post #291 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanga View Post

I thought you were unhelpful to the point of being rude in that thread and called it as such. If I hurt your feelings, I sincerely apologise.

Unhelpful to the point of being rude? I didn't know the word "False" was rude? Pardon me, LMFAO.

I'm sorry, but you are incapable of hurting my feelings. I just think you are quite the dumbass for insulting someone and then asking them for information to quench your curiosity.
post #292 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, but you are incapable of hurting my feelings. I just think you are quite the dumbass for insulting someone and then asking them for information to quench your curiosity.

Please don't use the big bold writing, it makes me cry. Oh the audacity of it!

It was a 'dumbass' thing to do, to be fair. But then I don't take these things seriously enough, obviously.
post #293 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombac99 View Post

You are lucky not to see it, for those who do it's a real deal breaker.

Agreed.

I suppose hearing that I'm not the only person bothered by the flicker has made me feel a little better... since misery loves company. lol

But I still don't understand why the previous Panasonic Plasmas did not bother me with any flicker issues. Only the new 2010 model. Anyway, I guess there is no point in talking about it any more. The issue has been noted. Time to move on.

It looks like my roommate is going to be getting a good deal on a slightly used VT20.

One day at a time...
post #294 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think someone should make another official topic just for photos of the VT20/VT25.

As I noticed the Kuro's have its own picture thread. I dont own a panny plasma yet, so I shouldnt do it.

Just a thought though. Im probably just rambling on like always
post #295 of 10650 Old 03-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Agreed.

I suppose hearing that I'm not the only person bothered by the flicker has made me feel a little better... since misery loves company. lol

But I still don't understand why the previous Panasonic Plasmas did not bother me with any flicker issues. Only the new 2010 model. Anyway, I guess there is no point in talking about it any more. The issue has been noted. Time to move on.

It looks like my roommate is going to be getting a good deal on a slightly used VT20.

What mode and sources is it flickering on? 48hz, 60hz, 96hz? TV, blu ray?
post #296 of 10650 Old 03-28-2010, 01:36 AM

Hi all, I've had a VT20 for a few days now and debating whether to return it or not. This is my first plasma, coming from lcd. The image quality on the VT20 is the best I've seen since the Trinitron CRTs. However, I'm getting annoyed by two problems. I'm hearing popping sounds. They occur mainly when I first turn it on or after I turn it off. It appears to be expansion of the plastic? I'm not sure. Did some googling, and it appears almost all plasmas suffer from this. Is this everyone's understanding? The second problem is more annoying. I have lots of windows in my room, and this lcd just is too dim during the day time. At night time, the image is top notch. Is the only way to make it watchable during the daytime is to boost the contrast and brightness all the way up? The original TV I was going to get was the Samsung 8500 led tv. I wondering if I made the wrong choice. Compared to my former primary TV, Sony Bravia XBR, it is an order or two magnitude dimmer. Watching an lcd during the day time was never an issue.
post #297 of 10650 Old 03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by calxn View Post

I'm hearing popping sounds. They occur mainly when I first turn it on or after I turn it off. It appears to be expansion of the plastic? I'm not sure. Did some googling, and it appears almost all plasmas suffer from this. Is this everyone's understanding?

Yep, and not just plasmas, or even flat panels in general. I have an LCD RPTV that was introduced 7.5 years ago, and it does that also.
post #298 of 10650 Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Has anyone had their VT20's calibrated? Would like to see some reports of ISF Day/Night modes showing what this TV is capable of.
post #299 of 10650 Old 03-29-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

Has anyone had their VT20's calibrated? Would like to see some reports of ISF Day/Night modes showing what this TV is capable of.

Unless I am very much mistaken, one of the features that the VT20 (US Model) lacks when compared to the VT25 is the ISF features.
post #300 of 10650 Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by R10KYJ View Post

Unless I am very much mistaken, one of the features that the VT20 (US Model) lacks when compared to the VT25 is the ISF features.

I must've got confused then, thought VT20 and VT25's only difference was who sells them.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page