Official Panasonic TC-PxxVT20/25 Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK!! - Page 284 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8491 of 10650 Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgfin View Post

Hi:
I'm expecting my plasma tomorrow morning and I have a question regarding the initial installation of the stand. Do you guys lay the television down on its' face when installing the stand? Can you do this with a plasma without damaging it? I've always heard that you never lay a plasma down. Any other alternatives?
Thanks!

There's no problem laying a plasma display flat. The recommendation to not lay it flat is during transport, where the display could be subject to sharp bumps, which may place more strain than you want on the glass panel, especially on the larger panels.

But those considerations are also generally made for shipping environments; there is a difference in shipping a plasma in a box by truck versus laying it down and carrying it in the back of your fancy SUV with the cushy suspension.

If you have 3 people, 2 could hold the plasma vertically while the third attaches the supports for the stand, avoiding laying it down flat. But there's no reason to avoid laying it down flat just to attach the supports for the stand or any other mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8492 of 10650 Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Hi:
I'm expecting my plasma tomorrow morning and I have a question regarding the initial installation of the stand. Do you guys lay the television down on its' face when installing the stand? Can you do this with a plasma without damaging it? I've always heard that you never lay a plasma down. Any other alternatives?
Thanks!

I personally wouldn't lay it down to mount the pedestal. Since the pedestal overhangs both the front an back of the display you would need to lay it down on something with the bottom of the display sticking off the surface (table?) to allow clearance to mount the pedestal. It is much easier to mount the poles in the pedestal base, set the pedestal on the floor next to the display which is still in the box, then pick the display up and set it gently on the poles. Then just secure the display to the poles with the four supplied screws.

What size did you get? My 54" was delivered this morning so I unpacked it and set it up by myself using the above method since nobody else was around (but I would highly recommend having two people to do this, especially if you got the 58" or 65" it would become mandatory).
post #8493 of 10650 Old 12-27-2010, 09:37 PM

Hey everyone, new member here. I am looking to buy the 50vt20 at best buy because they seem to be running a good package deal. I was wondering what the difference between the 20 and the 25 were and if it has a big impact on my viewing. I will be upgrading from a Samsung DLP (HL56A650) which I love but it's about time i embrace plasma.

Should i jump on this purchase? Or will next years models be better and cheaper?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to participating in the community.
post #8494 of 10650 Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 PM

To the people who have owned this set for a while, do the black levels really get that bad over time? Or it's just a minor difference?

I like my Samsung A650 lcd, but I hate the black levels on it, and being forced to leave the lights of the room on so that the blacks don't look like greys. Was thinking of upgrading to a VT25 but I keep hearing about rising black levels...

Thanks
post #8495 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 AM

Liked: 11
Can someone post the website where you check your Avatar 3D status?
post #8496 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post

How big a difference is there between the medium and large versions of the glasses? For someone who the medium fits, is wearing the large glasses problematic in any way?

I ordered the Medium size based on the info I found here:
http://www.today3d.com/2010/07/panas...d-glasses.html

ie.
Target (approximate head circumference):
TY-EW3D2SW (S size): 48-53cm
TY-EW3D2MW (M size): 53-60cm
TY-EW3D2LW (L size): 60cm

NB: I'm assuming the L size is meant to be >60cm?

I grabbed a tape measure and measured my head circumference as approx 58cm, so figured the Medium were the ones to go for. Guess I'll find out if they are right when they finally arrive.
post #8497 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 AM

Slightly modified from the other thread...

New 58VT25 owner here...
I've been meaning to calibrate to my perfect preferences for gaming (PS3 mostly) and have found default THX mode is too washed out at times while Game mode is too contrast-y and unrealistic. I would also like to know if some of the processing features will detract or add to the PQ/performance. Input lag doesn't seem to be an issue to the so-called advantages of Game mode seems null with the obvious disadvantages (unrealistic jagged contrast look). Blacks are perfect deep all-around, but whites and certain colors are very washed out. I can't seem to find a balance where things aren't washed out in menus and picture isn't unrealistic contrast/saturation. Is there a devoted thread here for PS3/360 calibration for 2010 Panny's (specifically VT20/25) or is it all withheld in here?
post #8498 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofster View Post
Can someone post the website where you check your Avatar 3D status?
Here you go: http://www.panasonicconsumerrebates.com/
post #8499 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
I got 3 new gen 2 panny glasses. 2 of the 3 have issues. During 3D playback they momentarily seem to blur on one lense, appear to go out of 3d for a millisecond, happens quite often, thought it was low battery but not the case. This happened on Clash of Titans and Legend of the Guardians. I will be contacting Panasonic. I have sent back the original glasses to panasonic as the battery had a bad connection. Not impressed with the glasses to date.

Hurk
Panasonic got back to me within the hour (email) and said that If I was further than 10 feet from TV the Glasses would not receive signal accurately and this would cause the intermittent off/on. I am 12 feet away, I will try 2 feet closer!

Hurk
post #8500 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruf View Post
I have an issue with my brand-new TC-P50VT25 and I hope you guys can help me on this one.

First, here's a video demonstrating the problem : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Um3-6TxiLM

As you can see, some pixels are lit and causing some kind of flickering above the "normal" display area. I'm currently running the panel aging thumbdrive files as recommended by D-Nice. I've tried regular TV broadcast and blu-ray too, I'm able to reproduce the problem with different sources.

Will it go away after a few dozens/hundreds hours by itself? Is it fixable or should I just return it to the store?

It's my second plasma (first one being a 42-inch LG) and it's the first time I've experienced any problem with an HDTV. I really don't want to put it back in it's box and lose half a day in the process. ;(

Thanks for your help!
Does this happen while watching a normal source? If yes then I would consider returning it. If this is just seen while watching the burn in slides, I wouldn't be concerned at all.
post #8501 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Panasonic got back to me within the hour (email) and said that If I was further than 10 feet from TV the Glasses would not receive signal accurately and this would cause the intermittent off/on. I am 12 feet away, I will try 2 feet closer!

Hurk
Does anyone know if any non-Panasonic brand glasses have this same limited range? While I realize you don't want to be too far away while watching 3D stuff, I nevertheless have a large den and the seating arrangement is what it is.
post #8502 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

Hurk
I'm 13' away and have no issues at all. It's more likely that you have some obstruction or reflective surfaces interfering. Other IR sources can also cause interference.
post #8503 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTx View Post
Does this happen while watching a normal source? If yes then I would consider returning it. If this is just seen while watching the burn in slides, I wouldn't be concerned at all.
Tom,

My question is why are the slide's not lighting that section up to begin with? I think it is strange the slides are not covering the whole panel. They did cover the whole panel when I ran them on mine.

Bruf,

Does the same thing happen when the slides change to another color?

James
post #8504 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
How difficult is it to find the slots on the television where the stand is supposed to go, when you are in the process of lifting/sitting the tv onto the stand? Any additional words of wisdom/advice would be appreciated.
I didn't have any issue guiding the display onto the poles. I set the display in front of the pedestal, visually aligned the center of display with the center of the pedestal, picked it up, moved it a few inches and set it right onto the poles.

#1 piece of advise - get somebody to help you. It is very easy for 2 people to do this and then move the display where you want it.
post #8505 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuarez View Post

New 58VT25 owner here...
I've been meaning to calibrate to my perfect preferences for gaming (PS3 mostly) and have found default THX mode is too washed out at times while Game mode is too contrast-y and unrealistic. I would also like to know if some of the processing features will detract or add to the PQ/performance. Input lag doesn't seem to be an issue to the so-called advantages of Game mode seems null with the obvious disadvantages (unrealistic jagged contrast look). Blacks are perfect deep all-around, but whites and certain colors are very washed out. I can't seem to find a balance where things aren't washed out in menus and picture isn't unrealistic contrast/saturation. Is there a devoted thread here for PS3/360 calibration for 2010 Panny's (specifically VT20/25) or is it all withheld in here?

Hopefully someone could help you, I never could get the colors to look right.
post #8506 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

New 58VT25 owner here...

1. Check out the settings thread if you haven't yet.
2. Use "Custom" for gaming.
3. I've compiled some of the more referenced published settings (and noted their dependencies) here: https://spreadsheets0.google.com/ccc...CI6nr-0I#gid=0

The PS3 / Xbox settings for video game use are the trick, aren't they? Right now, I've got something close to TwoPlusTwo's custom settings dialed in, and they look pretty good for 2D. James Cameron settings for 3D look... well, impressive, but I'm too distracted by the 3D stuff still to have a PQ opinion yet. More testing required.

post #8507 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 10:39 AM

I believe that the VT20 is the same as the VT25.
post #8508 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thptrek View Post

I believe that the VT20 is the same as the VT25.

No, there are some differences beside the color of the bezel. Mostly involving advanced setup and calibration which may or may not be of interest to a potential buyer.

ISFccc Day/Night modes, Studio Ref Mode, Pro Settings & RS232C for remote/PC control.
post #8509 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Hi:
Thanks!

FYI, the Pioneer Kuro (6020/151fd) instructions explicitly state that you should lay it face down on a large flat surface covered with a cloth or other soft material to install the stand, so don't worry about it.
post #8510 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Hi:
Thanks!

I received mine on Monday, 54 inch VT25, the stand is easy to put together and has two posts, finger sized, that stand up a left and right but they will only go on one way.
The TV has two matching holes / receptacles in the bottom of the set to receive the posts, the posts go inside the set.
After putting the stand together you will need to pick up the TV from the box base and insert the posts into the TV receptacles. You should have help not because of weight, unless like me you have a weight restriction, but because of size and being unbalanced.
All in all fairly easy. Mine is on the stand going through the break in while I assemble the wall mount.
Not sure what size you have but the 50 inch looks similar per the owner’s manual that you can download from the Panasonic web site.
If you lay the set down you will have more problems due to the size of the stand and trying to wrestle with a large TV, IMO keeping it upright would be best.
post #8511 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM

I just got my vt25 a few weeks ago and have been very impressed so far. I have some initial buzzing, but it seems to be getting a bit better. I have noticed no floating blacks, or an overall change in the letterbox black bars in dark to high contrast scene transitions.

I do have this problem that I haven't heard talked about. During fade to black scenes, dark scenes and transitions, I can see fluctuations in the black level, but only horizontal bars that sort of flicker slowly. They are in the center or horizon of the screen, and the bars will flicker in and out within I'd say a 10 in band in the middle of the screen. Though the letter boxes stay constant during movies, it seems the bars are the only things on the screen that change brightness. I can notice this on all inputs, all settings, so I can't make it go away. And the kicker is that I see it on an all black background, like PS3 menu transitions.

So a question, am I seeing floating blacks? Are the FB done a different way on the vt25, so that they are confined to the horizontal midline of the screen? These flashing bars don't bother me when I have lights on in the ht room, because the light washes them out, but when viewing in the dark they are pretty noticeable. I'm afraid it might be one of the video processing boards or power boards.

Anyone else see anything similar? I'll try to take some pictures, though its tough.
post #8512 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKiwi View Post

I ordered the Medium size based on the info I found here:
http://www.today3d.com/2010/07/panas...d-glasses.html

ie.
Target (approximate head circumference):
TY-EW3D2SW (S size): 48-53cm
TY-EW3D2MW (M size): 53-60cm
TY-EW3D2LW (L size): 60cm

NB: I'm assuming the L size is meant to be >60cm?

I grabbed a tape measure and measured my head circumference as approx 58cm, so figured the Medium were the ones to go for. Guess I'll find out if they are right when they finally arrive.

I got the small glasses as all they had and I thought this would be okay for granddaughter. The small was find for me, fit very comfortable. I then bought another small and a medium for me to fit over my eyeglasses, fit is fine. I think the Large would be quite big...

Hurk
post #8513 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 02:40 PM

I'm planning to get a T25 this weekend, and I was wondering about upkeep. I currently have the back of my LCD TV about 2 feet from the wall w/ a window. And a few hours of the day the sunlight hits the back of the TV. And it's not in full force, just a couple of rays here and there. I was considering having new blinds put up that can block the sun entirely.. but then there are times that I like to have it open and let the sun in.

So i guess my question is this: Is having sun light hitting the back of the plasma a bad thing? Obviously it would be better if this was not the case, but will it have any detrimental effects to the longevity?

Also, one more thing if you all don't mind: It's laziness, but I don't want to look through this entire thread to find everyone opinions. But what is the overall consensus on the P50VT25? Is it worth it, or better off waiting to buy a 3D TV till a later date? I'll also be upgrading from a 5-6 year old 42'inch LCD lol
Thanks
post #8514 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
There may be disagreement on this; but basically I don't worry about different components requiring individual calibration if:
1) They are all digital
2) You are using "neutral" settings on all of them (i.e., no adjustments for contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc.)
3) They are all using the same levels for black (i.e., video levels (preferrable) or computer level).
Thanks. I kinda felt this in one way or another, but my only real issue is our Xbox. For those who game may know what I am saying, but many games are pretty dark and it's difficult to see what's going on in certain parts, particularly with shooters. It seems that I have to turn up the brightness every time when gaming. Ultimately, I ran optical to my Xbox and cable, leaving Bluray on HDMI.
post #8515 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:

New 58VT25 owner here...
One of my biggest complaints with this TV. I can't seem to get an answer for it. I notice the washed out whites everywhere, not just gaming. It's not really a white, it's more like a very light gray for most supposed whites. For example, I fired up Toy Story 3 and when the Pixar logo came up that's all white with Pixar logo in the middle, for some reason, I happened to hit the setup menu on this logo. When doing so, the Pixar logo with white background was very bright and brilliant like I was expecting. I paused it there and sure enough, when you exit the setup menu, the full white, brilliant background became very dull and washed out. Doesn't seem right. I have tried every mode possible and can't find a solution.

I am probably way off here, but when thinking about it and related to buzzing, it somehow, somewhere seems that Panasonic tried to limit the amount of brightness on the entire display, most likely to prevent burn-in issues. For me, the brighter a picture is, the louder our TV buzzes. I can't imagine what a full white and very bright background would make our TV sound like. It's probably not technically related, but I do find it very odd that this so-called TV of the year can't produce louder white backgrounds.
post #8516 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1126 View Post
Hopefully someone could help you, I never could get the colors to look right.
You know what Viper, I am kind of in the same boat. Something just seems off to me. It's probably more mental than anything, as I find myself constantly hitting my setup button when gaming, watching TV or a Bluray movie. I know it will wear off eventually, but I do have to admit, something seems off with the color and/or tint on all of our devices. No issues with black levels or strange pixels, just buzzing and washed out whites. We have until the the 5th of January to return it and I am debating. I really don't want to get an LED TV and have to deal with live action look. But then again, as I have said before, there's just no perfect TV out there, at least not that I have seen.
post #8517 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjy View Post
One of my biggest complaints with this TV. I can't seem to get an answer for it. I notice the washed out whites everywhere, not just gaming. It's not really a white, it's more like a very light gray for most supposed whites.
Sounds like the one thing you haven't tried is calibration. The whites are there all the way up to 255 and with proper grayscale they are as white as snow.
post #8518 of 10650 Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Sounds like the one thing you haven't tried is calibration. The whites are there all the way up to 255 and with proper grayscale they are as white as snow.
It's probably not a bad idea at this point. Seems a little strange that out of the box, white's need to be massaged when every other TV I have seen demoed displays the whites normally.
post #8519 of 10650 Old 12-29-2010, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello:
Just received my plasma yesterday and got it set up. I am currently only using a Roku box and streaming off of internet. This is hooked up directly to tv using hdmi cable.
This is my first plasma, but I have had lcds with this issue in the past. I'm noticing straight vertical lines running on right side of display running from top to bottom. This is especially apparent on the Netflix interface gray that you scroll thru to pick selections. It is less apparent on moving scenes, but still seems to be visible at certain times, when camera pans quickly from left to right. These are not due to image retention, because they are actually spaced within the letterbox or 4:3 format size, and I have been running everything in zoom mode.
It seems to be a banding that is the result of some sections of the panel being brighter or more illuminated than others. The lines are vertically straight, but are not evenly spaced out. The most prominent is the one closest to the right side panel, which is just a tiny bit darker than the brightness to the left of it. This gives a slightly brownish or off white tint. The only thing I can figure is that it is some kind of interference. But, from what I have no idea, considering that I don't have any other electronics close to the tv. I have been watching everything in zoom using DNice's final settings. The effect can also be seen if format is changed to 4:3 and gray bars are inserted on the sides. Then, the gray bars also show the lighting variations. So they are staying in one place and not moving with the broadcast display. It's sort of like the ghosting people here are seeing when viewing text (I've seen this too) except it is vertical, runs down the length of screen and not horizontal.
I am also noticing quite a bit of ghosting, particularly during the Lost episodes streaming from Netflix. It seems that head movements also effect the blurred backgrounds and a hazy movement can be seen in them as well.
I am going to use a better grade hdmi to see if that makes a difference. I'll also try another way to hook it up using different cables. I also intend to hook up my dvd player. I may also take the tv off of the line conditioner, to see if it may be some interference there. I've just never heard of such a thing in a plasma.
post #8520 of 10650 Old 12-29-2010, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just went up to turn on my tv, and the hdmi didn't connect to the roku. As a result, all I got was a green screen. When I looked at the green screen, I could see the vertical inconsistencies in brightness clear across the panel. The one on the far right that I initially noticed is still the darkest. Only thing I can figure is that this must be normal and is something that plasmas share with their lcd cousins. I'm still going to try a different hdmi cable, because I'm obviously having some kind of issue.
Thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page