Official Panasonic TC-PxxVT20/25 Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK!! - Page 335 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10021 of 10650 Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Member
 
Lawrence Ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by potx4

I'd lay off the shibby... and wouldn't go to that store ever again.
You can't burn a LCD, ever. It is physically impossible. (And you should know simply by checking that the windows' bar at the bottom of your lcd monitor is not there when you watch a movie or check the LCD of a World of Warcraft addict that spend over 10000 hours showing the same user interface).

Old cheap CCFL holders used to make LCDs look brownish in areas. Not a burn issue.
LCD panels may be defective and have darker stripes EXACTLY where a 4:3 image would end on both sides. Not a burn issue (and happens instantly, not gradually).
And I could keep going for a while with all the issues LCDs can have. I repair TVs for a living. I see more LCDs in a week than most will in a lifetime. You just can't.
Potx4> hi there, what you had said make sense. I had never read about LCD having a burn in issue..

Looks like it's a stalemate for me.. Plasma better PQ than LCD vs LCD having better reliability than plasma..

Oh well.. I will get to see both this weekend..
Lawrence Ng is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10022 of 10650 Old 04-08-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
babgvant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by potx4 View Post

You can't burn a LCD, ever. It is physically impossible.

http://hdguru.com/lcd-hdtv-%E2%80%9C...retention/151/

Read the comments too.
babgvant is offline  
post #10023 of 10650 Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Newbie
 
GregLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a 65VT25 and occassionally, never on HD broadcasts, mostly during SD commercials or SD videos being broadcast during the news I get about a 1/4" high line of scattered white boxes above the SD picture. It's kind of hard to describe. Not always, not on same shows either. Sometimes they are completely static and don't move around and sometimes they change and bounce all over within this 1/4" high space.

I've also noticed on several occasions a solid white line, maybe 1/8th across going vertical up the far left side of the screen. Complete from top to bottom.
This happened only a few times.

It's almost like I need to adjust the old fasioned vertical and horizontal placement of the picture.

Could this be a panasonic issue or could it be something with my Dish DVR722?
GregLang is offline  
post #10024 of 10650 Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Member
 
SuperVision2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by potx4 View Post

I'd lay off the shibby... and wouldn't go to that store ever again.
You can't burn a LCD, ever. It is physically impossible. You just can't.


Sorry, but we burned-in LCD monitor here at work,on a tool which left a menu bar at bottom, in less than one year of use. And it had a screensaver.
Has to do with pixels left in a partially twisted state for too long. Nothing at all to do with backlight or anything else. Damage was permanent and not reversible. It can happen.
SuperVision2010 is offline  
post #10025 of 10650 Old 04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think all of us should use projectors, that way we can blame the wife for not doing a good job at cleaning the walls for dirt-retentions.
80sGuy is offline  
post #10026 of 10650 Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Member
 
fhschellenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Windber, PA
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLang View Post

Have a 65VT25 and occassionally, never on HD broadcasts, mostly during SD commercials or SD videos being broadcast during the news I get about a 1/4" high line of scattered white boxes above the SD picture. It's kind of hard to describe. Not always, not on same shows either. Sometimes they are completely static and don't move around and sometimes they change and bounce all over within this 1/4" high space.


Could this be a panasonic issue or could it be something with my Dish DVR722?

This is a part of the incoming signal - can be teletext such as close captioning. Been around forever, but is usually zoomed off the display area on older TV's. Can be adjusted out at the consequence of losing picture accuracy, by adjusting Size 1 to Size 2, or vice versa.

Fred
fhschellenberg is offline  
post #10027 of 10650 Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Member
 
soxthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Duarte, California
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhschellenberg View Post

This is a part of the incoming signal - can be teletext such as close captioning. Been around forever, but is usually zoomed off the display area on older TV's. Can be adjusted out at the consequence of losing picture accuracy, by adjusting Size 1 to Size 2, or vice versa.

Will drop your resolution from 1080 to somewhere south of 900. Also will get rainbow effects from the loss of 1 to 1 mapping.
soxthecat is offline  
post #10028 of 10650 Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Member
 
whforde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just swapped out my Samsung 58C590 for a 54VT25. A local electronics store went out of business and was liquidating their stock and I couldn't pass up the price. Like, a completely ridiculous price for a new in the box VT.

I just wanted to say...what the hell? Why didn't anyone tell me? I can't
believe the pq on this sucker. Some of the differences I've noticed:

OMG THE BUZZ IS GONE. Maybe it buzzes a bit but I can't confirm that from my couch. This may be the most substantial improvement. My Sammy buzzed like crazy.

The pop. Wow, things look quite a bit, I don't know, deeper I guess. Maybe due to the better blacks I suppose.

THX is my new best friend. I want to buy it dinner.

It's 4 inches smaller, but I sit only about 9 feet away so it kind of fits the room better. I liked the extra size but the 54 fits the decor a bit better. Not so overwhelming as this is a multipurpose room.

Line Bleed. Still a bit of line bleeding detectable on certain content (movie preview screen etc) but it's not as bad as it was on the samsung. I was hoping to be rid of it but it's just one of those things.

Also, the whites look a lot cleaner I think. Clear maybe. And those blacks. Loving it.

It's only been a couple of hours on the wall but man, part of my tax return well spent. Now just to sell the Sammy and the 3D glasses.
whforde is offline  
post #10029 of 10650 Old 04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Member
 
Tunnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whforde View Post


It's only been a couple of hours on the wall but man, part of my tax return well spent. Now just to sell the Sammy and the 3D glasses.


I think i read the Samsung 3D glasses will work on the VT25. You might want to try it before you sell them.

Mike
Tunnel is offline  
post #10030 of 10650 Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Member
 
Tunnel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by potx4 View Post

I'd lay off the shibby... and wouldn't go to that store ever again.
You can't burn a LCD, ever. It is physically impossible. (And you should know simply by checking that the windows' bar at the bottom of your lcd monitor is not there when you watch a movie or check the LCD of a World of Warcraft addict that spend over 10000 hours showing the same user interface).

Old cheap CCFL holders used to make LCDs look brownish in areas. Not a burn issue.
LCD panels may be defective and have darker stripes EXACTLY where a 4:3 image would end on both sides. Not a burn issue (and happens instantly, not gradually).
And I could keep going for a while with all the issues LCDs can have. I repair TVs for a living. I see more LCDs in a week than most will in a lifetime. You just can't.


I've seen burned in LCD's. Look up "Image Persistence" I am not suggesting plasma's are less likely to burn in then LCD's, but you can damage an LCD set also. This store manager has no reason to lie to me, i wasn't buying a TV and he had a lot more LCD's in his shop then plasma's.

If you fix TV's for a living, do you repair a lot of plasma's? Which technology has better reliability from your experience? LCD or Plasma?

Thanks.

Mike.
Tunnel is offline  
post #10031 of 10650 Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Member
 
thegreatagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel View Post

I think i read the Samsung 3D glasses will work on the VT25. You might want to try it before you sell them.

Mike

I would be shocked!
thegreatagent is offline  
post #10032 of 10650 Old 04-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Member
 
slalanc01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just pull the trigger and buy a brand new 54VT25. We were upgrading from a very good Toshiba DLP 10 years old HDTV and the difference was huge!

My 1st listening was UP Blu-ray: was absolutely magnificient in THX mode!

I tried some gaming with my PS3 (no more than 30 minutes in the same game to be sure I did not hit the TV so hard at this early stage).
- Uncharted 3 OMG!, my teen was completely amazed with those splendid graphics:
- Black Ops: I went 18-7 in my 1st online game, no lag at all, everything was fast and fluid and it seem that I can now play on par with the best players (no lag = faster responses time and better results)
- Rock Band 3 (only 3 songs because this kind of game have lot of static image) and try to callibrate my instrument and my lag was 3ms! With my last set it was around 55ms....

I know this set will have floating black with specific movie (saw some example on Youtube) but I can live with that issue... I prefered to live with floating black sometimes rather than have to deal with other issue of other brand (bad IR, horrible input lag, Buzzing)

Question: I notice game mode on this set have contrats set at 100, is it too high for this tv? Do I need to lower down this parameters to protect the set and, if yes, what is the max setting I should user for contrats?

Thanks!:
slalanc01 is offline  
post #10033 of 10650 Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Member
 
thegreatagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalanc01 View Post

I just pull the trigger and buy a brand new 54VT25. We were upgrading from a very good Toshiba DLP 10 years old HDTV and the difference was huge!

My 1st listening was UP Blu-ray: was absolutely magnificient in THX mode!

I tried some gaming with my PS3 (no more than 30 minutes in the same game to be sure I did not hit the TV so hard at this early stage).
- Uncharted 3 OMG!, my teen was completely amazed with those splendid graphics:
- Black Ops: I went 18-7 in my 1st online game, no lag at all, everything was fast and fluid and it seem that I can now play on par with the best players (no lag = faster responses time and better results)
- Rock Band 3 (only 3 songs because this kind of game have lot of static image) and try to callibrate my instrument and my lag was 3ms! With my last set it was around 55ms....

I know this set will have floating black with specific movie (saw some example on Youtube) but I can live with that issue... I prefered to live with floating black sometimes rather than have to deal with other issue of other brand (bad IR, horrible input lag, Buzzing)

Question: I notice game mode on this set have contrats set at 100, is it too high for this tv? Do I need to lower down this parameters to protect the set and, if yes, what is the max setting I should user for contrats?

Thanks!:

I wouldn't use the Game Mode for Gaming especially when the set is brand-new. I use THX Mode with calibrated* settings for XBOX 360 gaming. You can check out my settings on Page 333. Keep in mind I'm using D-Nice's Service Menu Offsets and also have Firmware 3.5 installed.


*Calibrated with the Disney WOW Blu-Ray
thegreatagent is offline  
post #10034 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DJ Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am having an issue with 3D playback. My setup includes of a 50 inch VT25, Panasonic BDT-100 Blu-ray player and an Onkyo HT-S3300 1.4 receiver. I get some weird handshake issue during 3D playback. Whenever in the middle of watching a Blu-ray 3D disc there are these annoying intermittent drop outs for a split second where you can see digital snow. It all happens very quick, so quick in fact if you blink you will totally miss it. This happens about 3-4 times every 15 minutes. Its extremely annoying and I am very upset. This never happens during 2D playback such as if I am either watching the 2D version on the same disc or just a regular stand alone 2D Blu-ray disc. Anyone have any suggestions and/or tips to resolve this issue or am I basically screwed?
DJ Matt is offline  
post #10035 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This tells you that HDMI sucks ballz and we're frickin' stuck with the p.o.s. format.
80sGuy is offline  
post #10036 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I am having an issue with 3D playback. My setup includes of a 50 inch VT25, Panasonic BDT-100 Blu-ray player and an Onkyo HT-S3300 1.4 receiver. I get some weird handshake issue during 3D playback. Whenever in the middle of watching a Blu-ray 3D disc there are these annoying intermittent drop outs for a split second where you can see digital snow. It all happens very quick, so quick in fact if you blink you will totally miss it. This happens about 3-4 times every 15 minutes. Its extremely annoying and I am very upset. This never happens during 2D playback such as if I am either watching the 2D version on the same disc or just a regular stand alone 2D Blu-ray disc. Anyone have any suggestions and/or tips to resolve this issue or am I basically screwed?

This could be due to a dodgy HDMI cable. Replace both the cables, to and from the AVR. The fact that it only does this with 3D suggests the cable does not allow enough bandwidth.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #10037 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Hurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This could be due to a dodgy HDMI cable. Replace both the cables, to and from the AVR. The fact that it only does this with 3D suggests the cable does not allow enough bandwidth.

How far are you seated from TV. Should be no more than 10' for 3D glasses to work properly.
Hurk is offline  
post #10038 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Member
 
Lawrence Ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post

How far are you seated from TV. Should be no more than 10' for 3D glasses to work properly.

I thought that for a 50inches the optimum is around 10-12 feet?!! Sorry, newbie here. Just bought a ph50vt20 but i have not collected it.. It's still sitting at the store.. Am waiting for my new house for completion.. (>_<)
Lawrence Ng is offline  
post #10039 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Paul H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Elk Grove, California,USA
Posts: 988
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I am having an issue with 3D playback. My setup includes of a 50 inch VT25, Panasonic BDT-100 Blu-ray player and an Onkyo HT-S3300 1.4 receiver. I get some weird handshake issue during 3D playback. Whenever in the middle of watching a Blu-ray 3D disc there are these annoying intermittent drop outs for a split second where you can see digital snow. It all happens very quick, so quick in fact if you blink you will totally miss it. This happens about 3-4 times every 15 minutes. Its extremely annoying and I am very upset. This never happens during 2D playback such as if I am either watching the 2D version on the same disc or just a regular stand alone 2D Blu-ray disc. Anyone have any suggestions and/or tips to resolve this issue or am I basically screwed?

Cable problems can cause that kind of symptom. Are your cables Ultra-high-speed? You might try connecting the HDMI from the BDT-100 directly to the TV to rule out handshake problems involving the Onkyo. 3D Blu-ray needs "ultra high speed HDMI cables" for greater capacity in carrying twice the video information than was necessary for standard 1080P 2D Blu-ray.

If you find it is your cables, any Ultra-high-speed HDMI cable like: Mediabridge Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - Category 2 Certified - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest HDMI Version Available] - (6 Feet) should work.

Paul
Paul H is offline  
post #10040 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Member
 
soxthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Duarte, California
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I am having an issue with 3D playback. My setup includes of a 50 inch VT25, Panasonic BDT-100 Blu-ray player and an Onkyo HT-S3300 1.4 receiver. I get some weird handshake issue during 3D playback. Whenever in the middle of watching a Blu-ray 3D disc there are these annoying intermittent drop outs for a split second where you can see digital snow. It all happens very quick, so quick in fact if you blink you will totally miss it. This happens about 3-4 times every 15 minutes. Its extremely annoying and I am very upset. This never happens during 2D playback such as if I am either watching the 2D version on the same disc or just a regular stand alone 2D Blu-ray disc. Anyone have any suggestions and/or tips to resolve this issue or am I basically screwed?

Sorry to hear the problem. I have seen lots of people post on here the same problem with Onkyo receivers. Some say that they have opened trouble reports with Panasonic and Onkyo technical service. They are trying to determine what the problem is.

I'm using the STR-DA5600ES from Sony and all is well!!

I think you should also take this up with Panasonic. The more that alert them to the problem, the more likely a solution. Let us know what happens.
soxthecat is offline  
post #10041 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DJ Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

This could be due to a dodgy HDMI cable. Replace both the cables, to and from the AVR. The fact that it only does this with 3D suggests the cable does not allow enough bandwidth.

I'm pretty sure the cable is good enough. I bought the HDMI cables from monoprice.com. These are the ones I bought...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
In the description it says its Cat certified and is capable of passing along 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post

How far are you seated from TV. Should be no more than 10' for 3D glasses to work properly.

I am right around 8-10 feet away. I am sitting where I always have been sitting. The first Blu-ray 3D I watched after connecting everything to the Onkyo receiver worked fine, but now I am noticing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Cable problems can cause that kind of symptom. Are your cables Ultra-high-speed? You might try connecting the HDMI from the BDT-100 directly to the TV to rule out handshake problems involving the Onkyo. 3D Blu-ray needs "ultra high speed HDMI cables" for greater capacity in carrying twice the video information than was necessary for standard 1080P 2D Blu-ray.

If you find it is your cables, any Ultra-high-speed HDMI cable like: Mediabridge Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - Category 2 Certified - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel [Latest HDMI Version Available] - (6 Feet) should work.

Paul

The HDMI cables I bought are from Monoprice. I have the link above. I would think these would be good enough. I will try swapping out the HDMI cable and then I will connect it to a different HDMI port on the receiver and see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxthecat View Post

Sorry to hear the problem. I have seen lots of people post on here the same problem with Onkyo receivers. Some say that they have opened trouble reports with Panasonic and Onkyo technical service. They are trying to determine what the problem is.

I'm using the STR-DA5600ES from Sony and all is well!!

I think you should also take this up with Panasonic. The more that alert them to the problem, the more likely a solution. Let us know what happens.

Thanks for the information. I will report this to Panasonic if it still exists after swapping out cables and what not.
DJ Matt is offline  
post #10042 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dude, HDMI handshake problems are unavoidable, I have the same problem with my Denon AVR-2310ci, it's just the nature of the design. Panasonic won't be able to help you and so do all the various different HDMI cables. Maybe a different brand of receiver helps but to an extent and they'll always have their distinct little hiccups with HDMI.
80sGuy is offline  
post #10043 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Member
 
thegreatagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I am having an issue with 3D playback. My setup includes of a 50 inch VT25, Panasonic BDT-100 Blu-ray player and an Onkyo HT-S3300 1.4 receiver. I get some weird handshake issue during 3D playback. Whenever in the middle of watching a Blu-ray 3D disc there are these annoying intermittent drop outs for a split second where you can see digital snow. It all happens very quick, so quick in fact if you blink you will totally miss it. This happens about 3-4 times every 15 minutes. Its extremely annoying and I am very upset. This never happens during 2D playback such as if I am either watching the 2D version on the same disc or just a regular stand alone 2D Blu-ray disc. Anyone have any suggestions and/or tips to resolve this issue or am I basically screwed?

I would connect the BDT-100 straight to the TV with HDMI and use the optical audio out straight to the receiver.

Btw, I also have the Monoprice HDMI cables and have no problems with them (same TV/Blu-Ray player)... it's not the cables unless they are physically damaged or longer than 6 ft. The problem seems to be with the receiver's (in)ability to properly pass the 3D signal.

Optical TOSLINK cable from Monoprice
thegreatagent is offline  
post #10044 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
kevin_mahaney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatagent View Post

I would connect the BDT-100 straight to the TV with HDMI and use the optical audio out straight to the receiver.

Btw, I also have the Monoprice HDMI cables and have no problems with them (same TV/Blu-Ray player)... it's not the cables unless they are physically damaged or longer than 6 ft. The problem seems to be with the receiver's (in)ability to properly pass the 3D signal.

Optical TOSLINK cable from Monoprice

I am using Monoprice cables (the one from my receiver to TV is 15 ft.), a PS3 for 3D Blu-Ray, and a Marantz sr7005, and I've had ZERO handshake/dropping issues with any content including 3D.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

kevin_mahaney is offline  
post #10045 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Member
 
thegreatagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

I am using Monoprice cables (the one from my receiver to TV is 15 ft.), a PS3 for 3D Blu-Ray, and a Marantz sr7005, and I've had ZERO handshake/dropping issues with any content including 3D.

Good to know that the length of the HDMI doesn't affect performance. The signal might degrade with length, but probably much longer than your 15 ft. cable.

All signs still point to the receiver being the culprit.

DJ Matt, please try HDMI straight to the TV and see if you still have the problem.
thegreatagent is offline  
post #10046 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I'm pretty sure the cable is good enough. I bought the HDMI cables from monoprice.com. These are the ones I bought...
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
In the description it says its Cat certified and is capable of passing along 3D.

Thanks for the information. I will report this to Panasonic if it still exists after swapping out cables and what not.

New cables are sometimes bad too. Change them and see what happens. I have a brand new 24AWG high speed cable from Monoprice that does similar things. Swapped it out and problem resolved.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #10047 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Member
 
thegreatagent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

New cables are sometimes bad too. Change them and see what happens. I have a brand new 24AWG high speed cable from Monoprice that does similar things. Swapped it out and problem resolved.

Yeah, that's always a possibility... try both cables straight to the TV... if they both work... it's the receiver. If the problem still exists with just one cable straight to the TV, you have found the culprit!
thegreatagent is offline  
post #10048 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DJ Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
Dude, HDMI handshake problems are unavoidable, I have the same problem with my Denon AVR-2310ci, it's just the nature of the design. Panasonic won't be able to help you and so do all the various different HDMI cables. Maybe a different brand of receiver helps but to an extent and they'll always have their distinct little hiccups with HDMI.
Well, I'm guessing its the receiver, but hoping its just the HDMI. I swapped out 2 HDMI cables (the HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV and the other HDMI cable going from Blu-ray player to receiver). I will see if this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatagent View Post
I would connect the BDT-100 straight to the TV with HDMI and use the optical audio out straight to the receiver.

Btw, I also have the Monoprice HDMI cables and have no problems with them (same TV/Blu-Ray player)... it's not the cables unless they are physically damaged or longer than 6 ft. The problem seems to be with the receiver's (in)ability to properly pass the 3D signal.

Optical TOSLINK cable from Monoprice
I would hate to lose out on lossless audio though. I specifically got this receiver so I can enjoy the higher resolution audio. Perhaps I will have to invest in a dual HDMI out Blu-ray 3D player such as the BDT-350 I think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
New cables are sometimes bad too. Change them and see what happens. I have a brand new 24AWG high speed cable from Monoprice that does similar things. Swapped it out and problem resolved.
Thats what I did. I will fire it up tonight and test it out to see if it works.
DJ Matt is offline  
post #10049 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
80sGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^Hope this gives you some ideas or options.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-p3VG1dz...mi.html?page=3
80sGuy is offline  
post #10050 of 10650 Old 04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Hurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Ng View Post
I thought that for a 50inches the optimum is around 10-12 feet?!! Sorry, newbie here. Just bought a ph50vt20 but i have not collected it.. It's still sitting at the store.. Am waiting for my new house for completion.. (>_<)
No further than 10' is for 3D as the signal emitted from TV to 3D glasses is typically only good for 10' Optimal distance for viewing a 50" would be somewhere around 6-7', I forget the formula but is something like 1.6 x the size of TV.

Hurk
Hurk is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off