Official Panasonic TC-PxxVT20/25 Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK!! - Page 338 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10111 of 10650 Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_mahaney View Post

I'm pretty confident the PS3 will handle processing better that the Panny. If I were going to watch in 60Hz (I'm not), I would do it the way you are.

Sounds good, thanks for the reply. It seems like the best overall compromise, at least for someone as bothered by color banding at 96Hz as I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10650 Old 04-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

First post in the following thread provides recommended settings for all the 2010 Panasonic plasmas, including the vt25. The next 4,700 posts mainly deal with applying the settings/offsets.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232441

Ok thank you. But I am confused. Why is there settings for THX, Custom, 3D? and how do you get to pro settings? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18252431
post #10113 of 10650 Old 04-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

Ok thank you. But I am confused. Why is there settings for THX, Custom, 3D? and how do you get to pro settings? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18252431

The picture mode settings that are listed are adjusted in the User Menu. Pro settings can be accessed when you are in the Custom picture mode (which is why they're only listed under Custom in 2D and Custom in 3D).

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #10114 of 10650 Old 04-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The picture mode settings that are listed are adjusted in the User Menu. Pro settings can be accessed when you are in the Custom picture mode (which is why they're only listed under Custom in 2D and Custom in 3D).

Ok I think I got it. SO in picture mode I will have 3 settings for THX, Custom (2d) and Custom (3d) with the setting listed correct? So i want to watch 3d with the setting just change Video settings to Custom 3d that i created?
post #10115 of 10650 Old 04-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

Ok I think I got it. SO in picture mode I will have 3 settings for THX, Custom (2d) and Custom (3d) with the setting listed correct? So i want to watch 3d with the setting just change Video settings to Custom 3d that i created?

That was a bit confusing, but I think you've got it. Also, you didn't say if you'd done the service menu changes, but these user menu settings are only to be combined with the service menu ones. They will not be accurate if you didn't adjust the service menu.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #10116 of 10650 Old 04-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That was a bit confusing, but I think you've got it. Also, you didn't say if you'd done the service menu changes, but these user menu settings are only to be combined with the service menu ones. They will not be accurate if you didn't adjust the service menu.

Kevin sent you a PM.
post #10117 of 10650 Old 04-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Just found out my plasma firmware is 2.5. Will the 3.5 make a big difference? I tried try and update firmware. I formatted a USB drive Fat32 and copy the firmware on to it. I then plugged in the USB drive and turned on plasma. But it did not do anything. What am I doing wrong? Please help.
post #10118 of 10650 Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 AM

On burn ins & IR..

I just noticed that my company CRT monitor for the CCTV has a burn in as well... IMO, I think it show that all panels & monitors can be subjected to burn ins & IR, just that some are more easily susceptible than others...
post #10119 of 10650 Old 05-03-2011, 04:38 PM

Dave Abrams was on tour in my area, so I made arrangements to have my TC-P58VT25 calibrated. Dave did a very thorough, careful job. The set is next to a large picture window, so he taped up a sheet of black plastic film to get the room completely darkened. He's a very bright amiable guy, and I enjoyed schmoozing with him and getting an explanation of his calibration process. I work on accurate video displays in a vision research lab, but we use very different calibration procedures (referenced to photon counts). It was interesting to compare methods.

Before he came, I had applied the D-Nice THX settings, and upgraded to firmware 3.5. Dave created several calibration sets for ISF day, ISF night, ISF day (3D), ISF night (3D), and THX modes. The D-Nice THX settings were already pretty good, and the effects of Dave's changes were subtle, but noticeable. The ISF modes seem better than THX - richer colors, brighter, a bit more "pop". Dave also tweaked some arcane settings in my Blu-ray player and Comcast cable box.

Highly recommended.
post #10120 of 10650 Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchfungus View Post

Dave Abrams was on tour in my area, so I made arrangements to have my TC-P58VT25 calibrated.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (Post#2) lists that are linked at the bottom of my post.
post #10121 of 10650 Old 05-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Hi couchfungus,

Thank you for the kind words. It was a pleasure meeting you and discussing the differences in calibration techniques. Try to stay out of the rain and enjoy your newly calibrated display.

All the best,

Dave
post #10122 of 10650 Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

How are some of you getting 3D calibrated? I just had my VT25 calibrated and when i called for my ISF calibration they told me that they were not aware of any 3D standard so only 2D was calibrated.
post #10123 of 10650 Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

How are some of you getting 3D calibrated? I just had my VT25 calibrated and when i called for my ISF calibration they told me that they were not aware of any 3D standard so only 2D was calibrated.

Who is "they"? I'll bet it wasn't one of the calibrators who has a good reputation here at AVS.
post #10124 of 10650 Old 05-03-2011, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

No, it wasn't any calibrator from AVS. The guy was an ISF tech though. He was a darn good one too. He just didn't calibrate 3D. I got my calibration done through a business who has a good reputation which is Barrett's.
post #10125 of 10650 Old 05-04-2011, 12:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No, it wasn't any calibrator from AVS. The guy was an ISF tech though. He was a darn good one too. He just didn't calibrate 3D. I got my calibration done through a business who has a good reputation which is Barrett's.

Since 3D is new, I imagine that the professionals are teaching themselves how to best calibrate it. I expect that Barrett's must be better than Best Buy's Geek Squad.

UMR (Jeff Meier) was at our house Monday doing a recalibration on our audio system and our Kuro display. He mentioned that the Panasonic VT sets produced good calibrated 3D images. I think he also said that it took a different approach to get good results. I'm not interested in 3D so I didn't ask any questions.
post #10126 of 10650 Old 05-04-2011, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Since 3D is new, I imagine that the professionals are teaching themselves how to best calibrate it. I expect that Barrett's must be better than Best Buy's Geek Squad.

UMR (Jeff Meier) was at our house Monday doing a recalibration on our audio system and our Kuro display. He mentioned that the Panasonic VT sets produced good calibrated 3D images. I think he also said that it took a different approach to get good results. I'm not interested in 3D so I didn't ask any questions.

Yes, indeed they are better. Which is why I went with them. The calibrator was very knowledgeable and walked me through the calibration process and explained to me what he was doing and what he was trying to achieve. My guess is kind of like what you said. They are teaching themselves how to do it and may not want to calibrate 3D without an industry standard to go by or to go on.
post #10127 of 10650 Old 05-04-2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I'm not interested in 3D so I didn't ask any questions.

You didn't have to be a golfer to love "The Masters" in 3D - best 3D sports event ever

Fred
post #10128 of 10650 Old 05-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

3D is calibrated the same way as 2d. It is done with the glasses covering the lens of the meter using a tripod. You need either a BR player or tv that has 2d-3d conversion or an expensive pattern generator that has 3d patterns to force the tv into 3D mode.

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #10129 of 10650 Old 05-04-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

3D is calibrated the same way as 2d. It is done with the glasses covering the lens of the meter using a tripod. You need either a BR player or tv that has 2d-3d conversion or an expensive pattern generator that has 3d patterns to force the tv into 3D mode.

I got ISF day and night for 3D mode. Along with firmware 3.5 the ISF night is loads better than anything I had before. IMO, any pro calibration is incomplete without 3D being done.
post #10130 of 10650 Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I would assume they do not have the glasses for the meter or perhaps maybe they don't have the 3D patterns yet. I wonder if they would calibrate 3D for me in the future at a discount rate since I just had my set calibrated. I certainly would not want to shell out another $300 just to get 3D calibrated.

Since you are a calibrator maybe you can answer me this. The answer to this is probably no, but I figure its at least worth asking. The question relates to my VT25's calibrated settings for Custom mode. Would I be able to copy the same settings for Custom in 3D mode and get a more accurate picture than the defaults at least? All the white balance and hue settings and such are at 0 for Custom mode in 3D. I have debated on using the 2D settings for 3D to see how it pans out. I guess it couldn't hurt. I am curious to whether or not if this is a good idea.
post #10131 of 10650 Old 05-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I would assume they do not have the glasses for the meter or perhaps maybe they don't have the 3D patterns yet. I wonder if they would calibrate 3D for me in the future at a discount rate since I just had my set calibrated. I certainly would not want to shell out another $300 just to get 3D calibrated.

Since you are a calibrator maybe you can answer me this. The answer to this is probably no, but I figure its at least worth asking. The question relates to my VT25's calibrated settings for Custom mode. Would I be able to copy the same settings for Custom in 3D mode and get a more accurate picture than the defaults at least? All the white balance and hue settings and such are at 0 for Custom mode in 3D. I have debated on using the 2D settings for 3D to see how it pans out. I guess it couldn't hurt. I am curious to whether or not if this is a good idea.

The glasses that they would use would be your own 3D glasses. If you have a BR player that does 2D-3D conversion you can use a calibration disc and set contrast and brightness yourself while wearing the glasses. Just put the disc in and using the 2d-3d conversion you force the tv into 3D mode. Then while wearing the glasses do contrast and brightness adjustments. Using the 2D settings probably won't work but you can try it. If you don't like it return your settings back to what they were.

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #10132 of 10650 Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The glasses that they would use would be your own 3D glasses. If you have a BR player that does 2D-3D conversion you can use a calibration disc and set contrast and brightness yourself while wearing the glasses. Just put the disc in and using the 2d-3d conversion you force the tv into 3D mode. Then while wearing the glasses do contrast and brightness adjustments. Using the 2D settings probably won't work but you can try it. If you don't like it return your settings back to what they were.
Unfortunately my Blu-ray player does not do the conversion. My Blu-ray player is a Panasonic BDT-100. I believe the 110 series has the conversion, but not the 100. I guess I will try using the 2D settings. If I don't like the results I will return to Cinema mode which to me gives me better results than Custom for 3D.
post #10133 of 10650 Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 AM

hi all
just got a receiver from dtv that provides 3d programming. we had not tried the 3d prior to today. we have the stock 3d glasses that came with the tv + a pair of xpand 3d glasses. i noticed that the image was a little blurry. changed position, reset the glasses, changed the glasses, changed the channel and it is still blurry. I noticed that when I put any type of menu on the screen even if it is the bar at the top of the screen or the live tv pause the screen shifts a little and becomes clear with excellent 3d image. I have not tried any blu ray source yet but could probably get my hands on a disc.
My question is:
any ideas on how to fix this? I figure it is likely something in the handshake between the receiver and the tv or something similar. if there is prior posted information on this feel free to point me there. A search did not yield specific results.
this is for my 55vt25. I used the settings in the 2010 dnice thread.
thanks
ps
channels used were 3d net and 2 other 3d channels.
post #10134 of 10650 Old 05-11-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas3 View Post

hi all
just got a receiver from dtv that provides 3d programming. we had not tried the 3d prior to today. we have the stock 3d glasses that came with the tv + a pair of xpand 3d glasses. i noticed that the image was a little blurry. changed position, reset the glasses, changed the glasses, changed the channel and it is still blurry. I noticed that when I put any type of menu on the screen even if it is the bar at the top of the screen or the live tv pause the screen shifts a little and becomes clear with excellent 3d image. I have not tried any blu ray source yet but could probably get my hands on a disc.
My question is:
any ideas on how to fix this? I figure it is likely something in the handshake between the receiver and the tv or something similar. if there is prior posted information on this feel free to point me there. A search did not yield specific results.
this is for my 55vt25. I used the settings in the 2010 dnice thread.
thanks
ps
channels used were 3d net and 2 other 3d channels.

You sure your glasses are synching up. When they are in synch you should see the image darken and then the picture should become clear. Which menus are clear from the tv or from a cable box etc.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #10135 of 10650 Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

You sure your glasses are synching up. When they are in synch you should see the image darken and then the picture should become clear. Which menus are clear from the tv or from a cable box etc.

I wondered about them syncing as well. there are moments when it is clear but it lasts seconds. the menus with the satellite receiver make it clear. the tv menus just cover the screen. I will try to take another look though.
Is there a way to force a sync with the glasses?
post #10136 of 10650 Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 PM

Been awhile since I've been reading this thread. I have a 58VT25 with v3.0 firmware and noticed that 3.5 is out but it only affects the 3-D settings so Avatar 3-D looks it's best. Is there any reason for my to update since I don't even have Avatar in 3-D?
post #10137 of 10650 Old 05-11-2011, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride9 View Post

Been awhile since I've been reading this thread. I have a 58VT25 with v3.0 firmware and noticed that 3.5 is out but it only affects the 3-D settings so Avatar 3-D looks it's best. Is there any reason for my to update since I don't even have Avatar in 3-D?

3.5 has a huge positive effect on all 3D, has very little to do with Avatar. But if your set is calibrated, don't switch to 3.5.
post #10138 of 10650 Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trastan View Post

My question makes fine sense, though I may not have worded it well. The PS3 can output Blu-Rays in either 24Hz or 60Hz. Therefore, the choice is to either have the PS3 handle the conversion from 24Hz to 60Hz internally, or have the PS3 output 24Hz and have the TV do the conversion.

I'm currently having the PS3 handle it internally (outputting at 60Hz), and I was wondering if there is any reason to do otherwise.

Set 24Hz on if you want to watch the movie in the correct frame rate. When you set the PS3 to output 24Hz, you aren't telling the PS3 to do anything but spit out a carbon copy of the correct frame rate on a blu-ray disc (I.E. no conversion being done). The TV takes this and basically multiplies each frames 4x (96Hz ON) so there is no flicker and i assume smoothes any rough edges around motion problems.

The TV can handle 24Hz, so why not give it the correct frame rate? 60Hz is meant for games and tv shows. It only exists as an option because 24Hz capability didn't start showing up until just a few years ago, and also 60Hz has been the standard since I can remember for home video until blu-ray came along with 24Hz for accurate reproduction.

So for accuracy purposes, use 24Hz when applicable.
post #10139 of 10650 Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer and help me out...

I recently had a Panasonic tech look at my TV. I called complaining about a brightness issue. What I am noticing in very dark scenes is that the dark black areas will either lighten or darken in some scenes. This is very annoying. For instance, during the Book of Eli it happens around the 2 minute 5 second mark and a few minutes later it happens again 4 times within 2-3 seconds. This is just an example and it happens within the black bars on top and bottom as well. The tech hooked up his test pattern generator to my VT25 and said nothing was wrong so I showed him some scenes from the show The Event and also some scenes from Book of Eli on Blu-ray. He did notice the change, but still told me that nothing was wrong with the TV and that its just the content. I proceeded to tell him that its not normal and that my other TV's do not do that and that my ISF tech who came out to do the calibration has not noticed it on any VT25's. The Panasonic tech continued to tell me that its not any kind of defect and that the TV itself is fine. With all that being said, what do I do now? Obviously, this is an annoying issue that I want to get fixed if possible.
post #10140 of 10650 Old 05-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

^^Floating black???
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page