Official Panasonic TC-PxxVT20/25 Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK!! - Page 346 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10351 of 10650 Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if anyone has experienced any significant HDMI signal problems with this TV. I have the V20A (non-3D Australian version) and I can't seem to get a HDMI signal from my Denon AVR-891. I've tried various different cables and all the inputs on the TV but nothing seems to work. I originally thought it was an issue with the receiver, but I've tried it with two other TVs (an older Samsung LCD and a new Sony LCD) and both work fine. I'm running the latest firmware on the TV too.

Hoping not to have to get a new TV or receiver!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10352 of 10650 Old 07-16-2011, 06:53 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrstdude View Post

Thanks.

Maybe you can help me w/ the service menu? I'm using this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16045320 to guide me through the setting process, but I'm having a terrible time navigating through the menus and I can't even seem to find where I can select values for THX-I can only find cinema, vivid, standard and custom. I'd like to think this isn't above my head, but I'm not so sure...plus I'm not sure if I've messed anything up in my "searching" through the menus. I'm not sure what method it should be on or anything. Is there a better, more clear guide to navigating the service menu?

So, after some reading, which I should have done before, I'm assuming, since SD must be changed also, that the SD factory defaults in the SM are also the same as the HD defaults. So, I compared the two and they were, so luckily, it appears I dodged a bullet when I changed the R/G/B-CUT settings as I thought I remembered them. Apparently I did...assuming of course the SD defaults are, in fact, the same as the HD defaults.

Couple quick comments:
1) "Cinema" is THX in the SM
2) "RGB" HD and SD values are the same from the factory
3) The following (beginning in Phase II) provides directions for navigating into and changing the RGB values. http://www.hippotechsolutions.com/?page_id=788
post #10353 of 10650 Old 07-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Couple quick comments:
1) "Cinema" is THX in the SM
2) "RGB" HD and SD values are the same from the factory
3) The following (beginning in Phase II) provides directions for navigating into and changing the RGB values. http://www.hippotechsolutions.com/?page_id=788

Thanks. I've been known to overreact from time to time. My HD values were identical to my SD values after I changed my HD values, so I remembered them correctly. Thanks for the link.
post #10354 of 10650 Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 AM

I picked up a 42GT25 and a BDT210 bluray player a couple weeks ago.

I've gone through the entire player thread on AVS, and searched this one for any mention of the newer panny players.

What are the preferred/suggested HDMI color settings for these two? It seems that the GT will take any of the YCbCr or RGB color settings, but Deep Color is either Auto or OFF. The TV HDMI Color is either Auto, Standard or Non-Standard. Only actually setting it to Non-standard shows any difference, and to me, it appears lighter overall (no crushing blacks) but makes the contouring worse.

My issue is that I only have a couple BD to look at right now, Planet Earth is one set, Dark Knight is another (Avatar is on the way).

I've tried to set the THX to various suggestions here and on the web and Camron's suggestions for Avatar on the Custom, but the Planet Earth show Seas on the first disk is either crushing blacks and has color contours around anything bright. I've seen variance in one shot of a baby sailfish where the fish is blue with one set of settings and purple in another.

Very frustrating is there a suggestion or do I have to call in a calibrator and spend almost as much as I paid for the TV? Get a calibration disk?

I'm pretty happy with my HD and SD cable shows, and let the stb just pass whatever the channel is broadcasting rather than upconvert.
post #10355 of 10650 Old 07-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrstdude View Post

Thanks. I've been known to overreact from time to time. My HD values were identical to my SD values after I changed my HD values, so I remembered them correctly. Thanks for the link.

Also, the picture mode in the SM doesn't matter, only the color temperature. The color temps are universal across picture modes.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #10356 of 10650 Old 07-18-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

I picked up a 42GT25 and a BDT210 bluray player a couple weeks ago.

I've gone through the entire player thread on AVS, and searched this one for any mention of the newer panny players.

What are the preferred/suggested HDMI color settings for these two? It seems that the GT will take any of the YCbCr or RGB color settings, but Deep Color is either Auto or OFF. The TV HDMI Color is either Auto, Standard or Non-Standard. Only actually setting it to Non-standard shows any difference, and to me, it appears lighter overall (no crushing blacks) but makes the contouring worse.

My issue is that I only have a couple BD to look at right now, Planet Earth is one set, Dark Knight is another (Avatar is on the way).

I've tried to set the THX to various suggestions here and on the web and Camron's suggestions for Avatar on the Custom, but the Planet Earth show Seas on the first disk is either crushing blacks and has color contours around anything bright. I've seen variance in one shot of a baby sailfish where the fish is blue with one set of settings and purple in another.

Very frustrating is there a suggestion or do I have to call in a calibrator and spend almost as much as I paid for the TV? Get a calibration disk?

I'm pretty happy with my HD and SD cable shows, and let the stb just pass whatever the channel is broadcasting rather than upconvert.

Is this not a VT20/25 thread? Are there not GT25 thread?
post #10357 of 10650 Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM

Liked: 17
I posted a lot back late in 2010 and early 2011 when I was trying to decide on my new TV for my living room. I ended up with a 58VT25 and I'm not sure a TV can get any better than that. Well after getting married recently, I went on the search for a TV for the master bedroom and had decided on a 50ST30. That was until I found two leftover 54VT25s and one leftover 50G25 and severly discounted prices, 50-60% off. I wish I could talk price but I know I'm not allowed to. Anyway, The salesman told me they were all demo units and didn't know the history on them. I thought it would be very strange for there to be (2) demo 54VT25's....so one had to be a return and the other had to be the demo model.

Armed with my knowledge from here on how to get in the service menu (thank you AVSforum)...I told the salesperson that I wanted to check the number of hours on the TVs. He said with a puzzled look "I don't know how to do that". I replied..."Don't worry, I do". LOL. So checked them...the 50G25 had 3700 hrs (display unit and one of the 54VT25s had 3800 hrs (display unit). I was hoping the othe 54VT25 was better...sure enough, 720 hrs!! So I made an offer and got it $300 more off of the already crazy Open box price...I got it for a price less than the 50ST30 !! Now I'm the proud owner of (2) VT25s and didn't have to pay much for the 2nd one...the manager shook my hand on the way out...he was happy to get rid of last years model TV. I'm happy too.
post #10358 of 10650 Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

^^Wow you lucky dawg! Aside from the hours, did you check for signs of any image impairments; such as IR or drop in brightness or blackness?
post #10359 of 10650 Old 07-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post

^^Wow you lucky dawg! Aside from the hours, did you check for signs of any image impairments; such as IR or drop in brightness or blackness?

Thanks! I am very very excited still....and definitely lucky....all at a risk. Not many people I know can appreciate that deal like they can here. I still wonder what the story was on that TV.

Anyway...I checked the hours, pixels, and for cracks around the screen. I've watched it for over a week now...it looks as perfect as my other TV as far as I can tell. Honestly though, its my bedroom TV...I'm not really as critical about all the infinite details like my living room TV. Finally moving up from a 27" Sony Trinitron...well, needless to say its slight improvement.
post #10360 of 10650 Old 07-23-2011, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How is 1299 for 50VT25?
post #10361 of 10650 Old 07-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maveTOR View Post

How is 1299 for 50VT25?

If you are in Canada, that's pretty great price. If you are in the US, I have no idea.
post #10362 of 10650 Old 07-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Some advice please.

I was at BB looking at the new 50GT30s and ended up buying a 2010 P54VT25 for around $1200. It was an open box. I just checked the hours and it had over 4000. I also notice that the screen retains images such as the service menu for awhile until another image seems to wash it away. Is that normal or does this TV have burn in issues?

Should I return this unit based on what I have mentioned. Or should I add a BB replacment plan and return for a new one down the road?
post #10363 of 10650 Old 07-28-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty D. View Post

Some advice please.

I was at BB looking at the new 50GT30s and ended up buying a 2010 P54VT25 for around $1200. It was an open box. I just checked the hours and it had over 4000. I also notice that the screen retains images such as the service menu for awhile until another image seems to wash it away. Is that normal or does this TV have burn in issues?

Should I return this unit based on what I have mentioned. Or should I add a BB replacment plan and return for a new one down the road?

Most likely the TV is in "torch mode" for in-store demos. After a proper calibration it should be fine. All plasmas have retention, it's normal. The brighter the picture settings are, the more retention you will see.
post #10364 of 10650 Old 08-03-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

I know TV speakers are not meant to be that great and all, and while the speakers of my 54vt25 are certainly better sounding than the 52" Sammy LCD I had before, but I think I hear some distortion during heavy bass passages. I have noticed it only a couple times or so (since I do not watch movies using the TV speaker), but when I have watched HBO/Showtime, etc, I have noticed some distortion (either the speaker buzzing or the cabinet from the speaker vibration). Wondering if anyone has listened to loud bass passages using the TV speaker. I am only playing at volume levels of 40 or less.

I'm using an ultra low profile wall mount (.5"), and I believe that is what is causing my 54VT25's cabinet to buzz and vibrate when really low frequencies are played through the TV's speakers. When I tilt it forward on it's bracket, away from the wall, the rattling or cabinet buzzing is reduced.
post #10365 of 10650 Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 PM

Any upgrades the Veracast coming soon, would love to see facebook added.
post #10366 of 10650 Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM

How do I set my Vt20 to 24p wz 96hz .....mind you I live in the UAE and I dont think we have the version which can be caliberated. Please advice..maybe I am missing some detail.
post #10367 of 10650 Old 08-06-2011, 07:03 AM

I ran into a strange issue trying to calibrate my 58VT25 for the 1st time. I am running Firmware ver 3.5

I am trying to calibrate THX mode WARM 2 temp greyscale. I enter the service menu, I made sure I was in CINEMA, HD, WARM. I must have checked it 5 times. But regardless of what offset I change, nothing seems to happen to my RGB levels. I went to the extreme of doing +50 \\ -50 on a combination of R, G and B CUTS and DRVS but nothing happens. (I have the original values written down) I power off the TV after making changes and remeasure.

It seems that the tv does not respond to the service menu adjustments.

Anyone seen this before and have any idea how to fix this ?
post #10368 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 05:28 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by creatine View Post

I ran into a strange issue trying to calibrate my 58VT25 for the 1st time. I am running Firmware ver 3.5

I am trying to calibrate THX mode WARM 2 temp greyscale. I enter the service menu, I made sure I was in CINEMA, HD, WARM. I must have checked it 5 times. But regardless of what offset I change, nothing seems to happen to my RGB levels. I went to the extreme of doing +50 \\ -50 on a combination of R, G and B CUTS and DRVS but nothing happens. (I have the original values written down) I power off the TV after making changes and remeasure.

It seems that the tv does not respond to the service menu adjustments.

Anyone seen this before and have any idea how to fix this ?

I had the same problem with my 65vt25. It would not "hold" RGB adjustments in the SM when in "warm" mode. I changed it to "normal" and it would then hold the adjustments. Works fine except that it obviously required larger adjustments. I later read, forget where, that this was a problem with some Panasonics. Let us know if this works for you.
post #10369 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New firmware download upgrades VieraCast to Viera Connect. I have a 54VT25 set.
post #10370 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post

New firmware download upgrades VieraCast to Viera Connect. I have a 54VT25 set.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Both my TC-P65VT25 and my TC-46PGT24 have been automatically updated from Firmware Version 3.00 to Version 3.720.

Wonder if those who updated to James Cameron's settings in Firmware Version 3.5 will be able to update to Version3.720 and if so, will we all have the same settings now?

Paul
post #10371 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A better question might be: What's the difference between 3.5 and 3.72?

the Panny web site is mute on 3.72

Here's what I found on "Vierra Connect":
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e.../viera-connect
post #10372 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
rd,

Did you upgrade to 3.72 yet?

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #10373 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM

If you had your set calibrated does the new firmware update kill your calibrated settings?

I wrote down all my CUSTOM mode PRO settings.

Mike
post #10374 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is a forced update. You can't use VieraCast at all unless you do the update. Lets hope there's no picture changes.

I did the update, I'll know in a couple days of viewing if anything obvious has changed in the picture, but I sort of doubt it. (I was already at 3.5)

If you are at 3.0 and do this update, there will be significant picture changes, mainly in 3D mode.

FWIW, the new Viera Connect interface isn't anything to get very excited about, but there are a lot of new widgets.
post #10375 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 02:38 PM

I updated to 3.72 all settings remain the same.
post #10376 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Hi!
So I'm kinda new to this forum. I've been reading it for quite some time but this is my first post. And I hope am not posting this in the wrong theme, but sorry if I am .

I'm currently buying a new HDTV and since we had Panasonic 42PZ800 now for 3 years and no problems with it and I'm very happy with picture quality and everything, I'm looking for new plasma HDTV. I'll be needing it for watching movies from PC and occasionally playing PS3, so i don't really need 3D and i don't know if I'll every use it, but there is no V20 in my country so...

So now i can't choose between last year P42VT20 and this year P42G30 (prices for this two are the same in my country), and since I've read this theme for quite a while, I see that VT20 has problems with floating blacks and flicking on video with 50Hz, now i don't know how dose G30 handles with this problems, but witch one would you chose and witch one is better? I would really need some advice .
Thanks in advance!
post #10377 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiorgo1313 View Post

I updated to 3.72 all settings remain the same.

The question is not whether user settings change, they don't. The question is what, if anything, changes in the back end (service menu) that would alter calibrations done by pros. With 3.5 this was the case, so if you had a pro calibration done with 3.0 you should not update without talking to your calibrator.

We can assume that 3.72 has the same back end changes as 3.5, but even this is not yet a certainty. Probably won't know until some pros put their meters on some sets with 3.72.
post #10378 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The question is not whether user settings change, they don't. The question is what, if anything, changes in the back end (service menu) that would alter calibrations done by pros. With 3.5 this was the case, so if you had a pro calibration done with 3.0 you should not update without talking to your calibrator.

We can assume that 3.72 has the same back end changes as 3.5, but even this is not yet a certainty. Probably won't know until some pros put their meters on some sets with 3.72.

I watched some 3d content nothing seems out of the ordinary.I did have my tv isf calibrated with 3.0.I have not watched 3d in a while,maybe something changed but i dont seem to notice it.
post #10379 of 10650 Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
FWIW, the new Viera Connect interface isn't anything to get very excited about, but there are a lot of new widgets.
You can say that again. The Netflix app is still the one that sucks.
post #10380 of 10650 Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiorgo1313 View Post

I watched some 3d content nothing seems out of the ordinary.I did have my tv isf calibrated with 3.0.I have not watched 3d in a while,maybe something changed but i dont seem to notice it.

After doing the upgrade to 3.72 I went into the service menu settings and I didn´t notice any change at all(I´m using D-Nice SM settings).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page