Official Panasonic TC-PxxVT20/25 Owners Thread NO PRICE TALK!! - Page 350 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10471 of 10650 Old 09-09-2011, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf181user View Post

I believe if you change out the D-boards this will fix the floating blacks. The original D-boards had part# of TNPA149AHP the updated board is TNPA149AHS.

Sorry for may ignorance but what is a D-board?

All the best,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10472 of 10650 Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf181user View Post

I believe if you change out the D-boards this will fix the floating blacks. The original D-boards had part# of TNPA149AHP the updated board is TNPA149AHS.

You mean A-boards? From my understanding this is only for the Panasonic 2011 models and not the 2010's.
post #10473 of 10650 Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnel View Post

I have had my 58VT25 since April and its a wonderful set. I don't notice floating blacks at all on my set. I am not saying they arent there, but if they are i dont notice them at all. I watch a ton of hockey and have never seen the brightness fluctuate either. I think many of you are expecting a perfect TV. There is no perfect TV. Had you bought the top of the line Samsung last year you would have been complaining about the problems or issues that set has.

Every single set on the market has its issues.

Mike

Though I am an amateur, I would agree with you totally..
Cheers..
post #10474 of 10650 Old 09-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Just an FYI, I am successfully using the Logitech TV Cam for Skype with my 2010 TC-P58VT25. I don't believe the 2010 VT25's are included in Logitech's compatibility list (2011's are), but it does work.
post #10475 of 10650 Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAETEN View Post

So what are all of the most prominent problems assocaited with the VT25 series....?

1. Floating blacks
2. Flux in brightness
3. Loss of black levels

Others?

I'm noticing some abnormalities with my P50VT25, but I'm not sure which one. What is the exact difference between floating blacks and flux in brightness? The latter sounds like what I'm seeing, where the black levels of the entire screen will change during scenes.
post #10476 of 10650 Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent S View Post

Just an FYI, I am successfully using the Logitech TV Cam for Skype with my 2010 TC-P58VT25. I don't believe the 2010 VT25's are included in Logitech's compatibility list (2011's are), but it does work.

That's cool. At least it's backwards compatible. That's the cam brought out for the Revue isn't it?
post #10477 of 10650 Old 09-15-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:

What is the exact model number of that camera?
post #10478 of 10650 Old 09-15-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civuck View Post

What is the exact model number of that camera?

The cam for Panny Vieras is called "TV Cam for Skype" on the Logitech website, PN 960-000793.

The cam for Revue is called "TV Cam", PN 960-000665. So they are not the same.
post #10479 of 10650 Old 09-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:

The cam for Panny Vieras is called "TV Cam for Skype" on the Logitech website, PN 960-000793.

The cam for Revue is called "TV Cam", PN 960-000665. So they are not the same.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I was confused, as usual. Weird that they're making these cams that only work on certain devices. And the confusing names leaves something to be desired. I bought the Panasonic cam for my VT20 and have used it about 2 times. Not the smartest purchase. ;-)
post #10480 of 10650 Old 09-18-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just felt compelled to post.
Just sat down for a day of NFL Football and felt compelled to comment on just how spectacular this set is.
Watching the CBS pregame on NFLST and it is simply awesome.
Kudos to Panasonic, DirecTv, CBS, and my calibrator Shawn Byrne.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #10481 of 10650 Old 09-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

You mean A-boards? From my understanding this is only for the Panasonic 2011 models and not the 2010's.

The A-board is where the audio video comes in, I believe the D-board process the audio and video.
post #10482 of 10650 Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 PM

Haven't posted in a while myself, but I've had our P58VT25 for about a year now (or longer) and no issues with floating blacks. The issue I had with the buzz has been fixed as well. Repair guy came out and swapped some boards and all is good.

Once question, are there any more recent apps that run on the VT25? Just seems like I have the netflix app and a few others. Just wondering if there are others I can download.
post #10483 of 10650 Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaxter View Post

Haven't posted in a while myself, but I've had our P58VT25 for about a year now (or longer) and no issues with floating blacks. The issue I had with the buzz has been fixed as well. Repair guy came out and swapped some boards and all is good.

Once question, are there any more recent apps that run on the VT25? Just seems like I have the netflix app and a few others. Just wondering if there are others I can download.

Have you downloaded the upgrade from VieraCast to VieraConnect?
post #10484 of 10650 Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

My a-board is going to be replaced on my VT25. I am definitely hoping this will eliminate the fluctuation in brightness.
post #10485 of 10650 Old 10-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:

My a-board is going to be replaced on my VT25. I am definitely hoping this will eliminate the fluctuation in brightness.

Wow! Good Luck Matt!

Could you please report back to this thread and let us know the results. I'm sure this would make a lot of people happy if it eliminates the fluctuating brightness issues.

When is it being replaced?

Thanks.

Mike
post #10486 of 10650 Old 10-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:

by panasonic via warranty? how did you convince them to do this? i thought panasonic gave us 2010 owners the middle finger regarding the floating brightness issue. did i miss something? fingers crossed for you!

ACEtheOG (update whore)
post #10487 of 10650 Old 10-17-2011, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I will definitely report back on how everything works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetheog View Post

by panasonic via warranty? how did you convince them to do this? i thought panasonic gave us 2010 owners the middle finger regarding the floating brightness issue. did i miss something? fingers crossed for you!

I actually did not convince them to do anything except for come out for a second time to take a look at my set (first time was back in the spring). I pretty much said that the fluctuation in brightness is still present and that its an annoying issue. I am aware that people with VT30's are getting the fix for their sets and I mentioned this to them and pretty much said that I feel like something should be done for me as well. I hope the a-board replacement helps. Even more so, I hope its the new version of the a-boards that eliminate this issue. If they are replacing the a-board with a new one with a build from last year then this probably won't do anything for me.
post #10488 of 10650 Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 AM

We use the Vt25 for professional color correction for nationally broadcast television work. It's totally good enough for us. If you want perfection in ANYTHING, you will not find it on this earth, and will make yourself miserable looking for it.

If you want stellar, you have an example in the Vt25, almost imperceptibly floating blacks and all.

By the way, we could have happily bought ANY monitor at almost ANY price - the Vt25 was the best, this determined after much elaborate technical research.

We are not alone in our conclusions - many mainstream prime-time TV shows are color corrected in studios that have... Vt25s. (Professionally calibrated, yes, but still)
post #10489 of 10650 Old 10-17-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your post gave me some hope so i called Panny CS and was waiting for the same response I got last month with the big brush off and a middle finger. Low and behold they seem to be addressing the VT-25's FBr bug with replacement "A"boards and a new FW. Just got approved by Panny for out of warranty service. Waiting for my call from Ashton Electronics to schedule a service call. Crossing fingers and will chop off a chicken to boot.
post #10490 of 10650 Old 10-17-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

Your post gave me some hope so i called Panny CS and was waiting for the same response I got last month with the big brush off and a middle finger. Low and behold they seem to be addressing the VT-25's FBr bug with replacement "A"boards and a new FW. Just got approved by Panny for out of warranty service. Waiting for my call from Ashton Electronics to schedule a service call. Crossing fingers and will chop off a chicken to boot.

So you guys are having FBr issues on a 2010 or is this Floating Blacks that we are hoping the a-board will fix.
post #10491 of 10650 Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayweh32 View Post

So you guys are having FBr issues on a 2010 or is this Floating Blacks that we are hoping the a-board will fix.

I just want the FBr bug fixed I can't see a noticeable change in my black levels and I have over 4k hrs on it.
post #10492 of 10650 Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:

I will definitely report back on how everything works out.

I actually did not convince them to do anything except for come out for a second time to take a look at my set (first time was back in the spring). I pretty much said that the fluctuation in brightness is still present and that its an annoying issue. I am aware that people with VT30's are getting the fix for their sets and I mentioned this to them and pretty much said that I feel like something should be done for me as well. I hope the a-board replacement helps. Even more so, I hope its the new version of the a-boards that eliminate this issue. If they are replacing the a-board with a new one with a build from last year then this probably won't do anything for me.

thanks dj matt!

Quote:

this is great news! i will be calling asap!

ACEtheOG (update whore)
post #10493 of 10650 Old 10-17-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got the call back from Ashton and it seems I'm getting mixed signals, I'm on the phone again with Panny but it aint looking good. I get approval from Panny first over the phone and then I get a call back from Ashton and they were told there are no updates for the VT series and won't be fixed out of warranty. You may want to hold off on that call for now until I can sort through this mess. I think they are confusing the VT-25 for the 30.

Edit: Just got off the phone with CS and there is no fix the VT-25 they got their signals crossed. Oh well it was worth a try my hopes and dreams shattered into little tiny pieces. lol
post #10494 of 10650 Old 10-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:

I just got the call back from Ashton and it seems I'm getting mixed signals, I'm on the phone again with Panny but it aint looking good. I get approval from Panny first over the phone and then I get a call back from Ashton and they were told there are no updates for the VT series and won't be fixed out of warranty. You may want to hold off on that call for now until I can sort through this mess. I think they are confusing the VT-25 for the 30.

Edit: Just got off the phone with CS and there is no fix the VT-25 they got their signals crossed. Oh well it was worth a try my hopes and dreams shattered into little tiny pieces. lol

sucks... i died a little inside after reading your edit

hoping things go well for dj matt... keep us posted!

ACEtheOG (update whore)
post #10495 of 10650 Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruffo View Post

We use the Vt25 for professional color correction for nationally broadcast television work. It's totally good enough for us. If you want perfection in ANYTHING, you will not find it on this earth, and will make yourself miserable looking for it.

If you want stellar, you have an example in the Vt25, almost imperceptibly floating blacks and all.

By the way, we could have happily bought ANY monitor at almost ANY price - the Vt25 was the best, this determined after much elaborate technical research.

We are not alone in our conclusions - many mainstream prime-time TV shows are color corrected in studios that have... Vt25s. (Professionally calibrated, yes, but still)

at what foot lambers do you have the VT25
set?
post #10496 of 10650 Old 10-17-2011, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I got a call today and the A-board came in early and the tech wanted to come out today to replace the A-board so I told him that would be fine. He gets here and swaps out the A-board and took the old one. Much to my dismay the fluctuation in brightness is still there. All my settings went back to the factory settings, but I wrote down the settings before hand and plugged in all my calibrated settings that were done by an ISF technician. Even after I did that fluctuation in brightness was still occuring and yes, CATS is off and all that other crap such as AGC (set to zero), etc. So, I will have to talk to Panasonic again. The tech was on the phone with them and the Panasonic person said the new A-board should have resolved the issue. This is all very disappointing and very unacceptable. If they can't resolve the issue then I may ask if I can upgrade to the VT30 and pay whatever difference there is. The VT30's do not have this issue with later builds and/or the new flash for the A-boards.
post #10497 of 10650 Old 10-18-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:

We use the Vt25 for professional color correction for nationally broadcast television work.

We are a national broadcaster who also use a 65" VT25 in our boardroom for doing internal program screenings from our Avid postproduction department. We have an HDSDI->HDMI connection from an Avid Nitris workstation to the VT25.
post #10498 of 10650 Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Great to know that!!
post #10499 of 10650 Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:

I got a call today and the A-board came in early and the tech wanted to come out today to replace the A-board so I told him that would be fine. He gets here and swaps out the A-board and took the old one. Much to my dismay the fluctuation in brightness is still there. All my settings went back to the factory settings, but I wrote down the settings before hand and plugged in all my calibrated settings that were done by an ISF technician. Even after I did that fluctuation in brightness was still occuring and yes, CATS is off and all that other crap such as AGC (set to zero), etc. So, I will have to talk to Panasonic again. The tech was on the phone with them and the Panasonic person said the new A-board should have resolved the issue. This is all very disappointing and very unacceptable. If they can't resolve the issue then I may ask if I can upgrade to the VT30 and pay whatever difference there is. The VT30's do not have this issue with later builds and/or the new flash for the A-boards.

thanks for the update dj matt. i was really looking forward to a solution. it's good to hear that panasonic is trying to right the situation for you. keep me posted - i would be very interested in paying the difference for an upgrade to the vt30.

everyone is going to feel differently about this issue and i respect everyones point of view. frankly, i don't care who uses this tv for whatever purpose - including tv networks. it is a great tv that has a flaw that i have decided i can't live with. if you can live with it or don't notice it, congratulations! i understand no tv is perfect - just like everything else in life, the idea is to find a compromise that you can live with.

i just don't see why this "feature" was included in the first place. for efficiency purposes? i dont drive a 400+ hp v8 sports sedan for fuel efficiency. i also don't buy a top of the line consumer tv (at the time) for energy efficiency. energy efficiency would be nice to have but i'll sacrifice that for performance 9 times out of 10. it is silly that this "feature" can't be disabled simply via software update. its a shame because this really is a fantastic set. with the proper media (3d, bright movies) the set really shines. rant over.

ACEtheOG (update whore)
post #10500 of 10650 Old 10-18-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acetheog View Post

thanks for the update dj matt. i was really looking forward to a solution. it's good to hear that panasonic is trying to right the situation for you. keep me posted - i would be very interested in paying the difference for an upgrade to the vt30.

everyone is going to feel differently about this issue and i respect everyones point of view. frankly, i don't care who uses this tv for whatever purpose - including tv networks. it is a great tv that has a flaw that i have decided i can't live with. if you can live with it or don't notice it, congratulations! i understand no tv is perfect - just like everything else in life, the idea is to find a compromise that you can live with.

i just don't see why this "feature" was included in the first place. for efficiency purposes? i dont drive a 400+ hp v8 sports sedan for fuel efficiency. i also don't buy a top of the line consumer tv (at the time) for energy efficiency. energy efficiency would be nice to have but i'll sacrifice that for performance 9 times out of 10. it is silly that this "feature" can't be disabled simply via software update. its a shame because this really is a fantastic set. with the proper media (3d, bright movies) the set really shines. rant over.

While they are trying, they are not trying that hard. Everytime I am on the phone with them they are quick to try and pass it onto something else such as the PS3 or the Onkyo receiver I have. I told them that neither is the issue because this was occurring before I got the PS3 or the receiver. I keep telling them that it happens when the source is directly connected to the TV, but everytime I am on the phone with them they ask me these questions and its getting annoying now and if they think the brightness change is a feature they are mistaken. How can they call it a "feature" when they are fixing the same exact thing on the VT30's. It makes no sense.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page