The Official LG xxPK750 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 833 Old 04-25-2010, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi
I bought this TV as a replacement for Samsung PN58B860.
the PN58B860 had a buzzing noise that I could hear during quit scenes (drove me crazy).
then I tested the brand new PN58C7000 in hhgreg what was amazing to me that they had the TV even though Samsung still didn't have this TV on their web site.
I wanted to know if it have the buzzing issue the PN58B860 had.
I was amazed the new PN58C7000 had a louder buzz then the old PN58B860.

so I decided to go with the 60PK750.
first it is bigger and heavier.
I tested both 60PK750 and the new PN58C7000 side by side at that time I had both original remotes so I played with both TV for more than an hour.
the end result picture quality is almost the same with a slight lead to Samsung.
the Samsung had a little less glare. And a little less letter ghosting.
the LG 60PK750 had many more pictures setting options and I found the menu easier to use.

the only thing I didn't have in the store was an internet connection.
I went also the LG way because it says on the web site its Skype ready.

I have the TV over a week.
the internet features work.
but I can't find any Skype application ?
I thought maybe I need to connect a camera to the usb so it will show up but nothing did.

there were few updates to the yahoo software that I did but the Skype dose not exit on the TV.

Did LG lie on their web site ?

would like your insight into the matter.

regards
Jeff cowe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 833 Old 04-26-2010, 04:40 AM

Hi everyone!

Im a happy owner of a 50PK750 (760 in my country)

Ive been pleased with the set after 2 weeks of use, but im having a small concern. IR has been noticable ever since i got the set, didnt take long for the quick menus to get burnt in but they also disapeared after a short while. However, yesterday i noticed a bar with lots of text thats burnt in, apparently from playing fifa 10 on my 360. This didnt bother me much at first as i thought it would go away, but now, some 18 hours later its still there, just as visible as when i first noticed it. And i only just got fifa 10, so i havnt played it that much.

Any tips to what i can do? Is this bar gonna stay there forever or will it just take a long time to fade away?
post #363 of 833 Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoShoBear View Post

Hi everyone!

Im a happy owner of a 50PK750 (760 in my country)

Ive been pleased with the set after 2 weeks of use, but im having a small concern. IR has been noticable ever since i got the set, didnt take long for the quick menus to get burnt in but they also disapeared after a short while. However, yesterday i noticed a bar with lots of text thats burnt in, apparently from playing fifa 10 on my 360. This didnt bother me much at first as i thought it would go away, but now, some 18 hours later its still there, just as visible as when i first noticed it. And i only just got fifa 10, so i havnt played it that much.

Any tips to what i can do? Is this bar gonna stay there forever or will it just take a long time to fade away?

it will go away for sure
post #364 of 833 Old 04-26-2010, 07:13 AM

Has anyone tried streaming Netflix or content off their NAS boxes on this display?

I have a BD570 and the streaming Netflix HD is phenomenal. I don't know whether its because the blu ray player is upscaling everything before it sends it to the display however.

So I'm wondering how the quality is on the plasma - anyone know if there is any upscaling going on in the display?
post #365 of 833 Old 04-26-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

finally got around to checking this TV out in person at Sears. I know you can't compare PQ from the store to home but there seems to be a serious issue with this tv. The Sony 60 500EX was right next to the pk750. THX mode was engaged on the LG, both TVs were being the same HD demo. What jumped out at me at first was how dim the LG was in THX, that wouldn't have mattered if the contrast and pq was excellent but the 750 was clearly crushing alot of dark details that the Sony did not. It was random scenery from Paris, both day and night scenes, LG just looked lifeless and missing alot of details. Sony next to it was easily able to show details in the dark.

The deal breaker was that the LG picture wasn't stable at all, just looked like static all around details while the sonys picture remained sharp like a photo. Even the panasonic they had did not exhibit this noisy picture. Looked like its inherent to the LG panel than the technology, both 550 and 750 looked very noisy. Guess my tv search continues.

For what it's worth, I've gone through 3 pk550s (all with buzzing) but only one of them had the PQ issues you're talking about. The other two were excellent. I guess it's hit or miss.
post #366 of 833 Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 AM

So I wanted to order the pk550, but it isn't available here anywhere (they are expecting it again in a month).
The 750pk is in stock though, but it is 200 euro's more expensive. Now I haven't seen any of these sets with my own eyes, the only ones I saw were the panasonic ones but I really did not like their design.

My room is fairly bright though, is it possible to do some daytime viewing on the pk750 without closing the curtains (something which from the youtube vids I saw is impossible on the pk550)? And how is the design compared to the pk550, and what is the build in audio quality?

Other contenders are:

Samsung c6500 (450 more)
sony ex500 46 inch lcd (250 more)
Samsung c630 46inch lcd (250 more)

So my question is: for a bright room, is the pk750 worth 200 more? And how does the design compare to the pk550?
post #367 of 833 Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoShoBear View Post

i noticed a bar with lots of text thats burnt in, apparently from playing fifa 10 on my 360...snip...And i only just got fifa 10, so i havnt played it that much.

If I remember correctly, you can turn off all the HUDs (score, radar, time, etc) in FIFA 10 via the in game options.
post #368 of 833 Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

What jumped out at me at first was how dim the LG was in THX, that wouldn't have mattered if the contrast and pq was excellent but the 750 was clearly crushing alot of dark details that the Sony did not. It was random scenery from Paris, both day and night scenes, LG just looked lifeless and missing alot of details. Sony next to it was easily able to show details in the dark.

The deal breaker was that the LG picture wasn't stable at all, just looked like static all around details while the sonys picture remained sharp like a photo. Even the panasonic they had did not exhibit this noisy picture. Looked like its inherent to the LG panel than the technology, both 550 and 750 looked very noisy. Guess my tv search continues.

missed this post until I saw it quoted

750 crushing blacks is part of undefeatable image processing that requres a firmware update to fix. And of course THX mode was super dim in a store environment, it will look much brighter to constricted pupils in a dark environment.

as for the static you saw, were you comparing it to an lcd? possibly source or noise reduction settings were turned on on the other sets?
post #369 of 833 Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 AM

hi
well spoke with an engineer from LG.
he confirmed there is no Skype app on the TV at this time.
he claims that they are in negotiation with Skype about the camera together with Panasonic ?

the moment they will finalized that he said there will be a software upgrade and the Skype app will appear.

well I guess Skype ready from LG mean no Skype.

Jeff
post #370 of 833 Old 04-27-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post

This is an interesting comparison for me since I returned a Sony 60500EX and purchased the 60PK750. My impressions are just the opposite. I use the THX setting on the LG and I think the color, contrast and detail an on the LG are all superior to the Sony LCD. I'm very glad I made the exchange. Additionally, there is the added benefit of no light or color drop off when viewing the LG plasma from off center.

I'm not saying that your evaluation was incorrect or invalid. I'm just agreeing that we can't compare picture quality from the store to our homes. We don't know if the TVs on display are in 'store' or 'home' mode. We don't always know which inputs are being used in the store (HDMI, component, etc.), nor do we always know the signal source.

There is also the matter of personal taste and preference. Some folks prefer the look of an LCD while others prefer plasma.

There are many variables that come into play when comparing those two TV's side by side. One is plasma the other LCD. The LG has an extremely robust config menu. A simple explanation why it looked flat could have been the power savings was enabled on the LG, it makes a huge difference in the brightness and contrast. I have no explanation on the noisey picture as I have not experienced that at all on my 60pk750 with both HD or SD inputs. I cant say enough how much i love this tv and the pq. and I am still finding things more to love with the options and different things you can do...ie. streaming .mkv's directly to the tv.
I would suggest to the above on comparing PQ side by side is bring your own bluray (BBC's Life comes to mind) and make sure the settings on both tv's match as close as possible then decide which is better.
post #371 of 833 Old 04-27-2010, 12:43 PM

Are you using the Orbiter feature to prevent IR? I leave that on my pk750 all times and have yet to see IR.
post #372 of 833 Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcowe View Post

hi
well spoke with an engineer from LG.
he confirmed there is no Skype app on the TV at this time.
he claims that they are in negotiation with Skype about the camera together with Panasonic ?

the moment they will finalized that he said there will be a software upgrade and the Skype app will appear.

well I guess Skype ready from LG mean no Skype.

Jeff

That's not correct, they are skype "ready" meaning you have to buy a Skype camera that isn't out yet. Should be available in somewhere around June. I'm assuming once this camera becomes available, there will be a firmware update that will add the "widget/app" to the Netcast features.
post #373 of 833 Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 AM

hi
well that what I said ?
as of now there is no Skype.
maybe June maybe not ?

I think LG should have had the camera the moment the TV went on sale.

regards
Jeff
post #374 of 833 Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 AM

I have recently bought an LG 60pk750. It is a stunning tv! Absolutely gorgeous in a sleek, minimalist, and sexy way. I did the break in period for 100 hours exactly with 20 break in slides set to repeat via a USB jumpdrive. I set my ecosetting to maximum and lowered my contrast to 45 and brightness to 40. After the 100 hour break-in period, i cranked up the levels to THX settings. The picture is awesome!! No Kuro for sure, but more than good enough. The look is just so incredible that to me, it overcomes the weaker black levels than the KURO or some Pannys. A tv should look good on and off. This TV is Adriana Lima Naked.

One thing that concerned me was the LG logo, as I could not tell in the pics if it was lighted or not. i am pleased to inform you guys that the lg logo is non illuminated and is really not distractive at all. All in all, an extremely classy look to the TV with no distractive Lights or logos.

Another point I would like to mention, is the extremely slim side profile of the plasma. Only 2 inches thin!! And the netcast features are pretty amazing. The home screen allows you to enter your zipcode information, and the screen itself displays rain clouds or sunshine depending on the local weather. Currently, VUDU, NETFLIX, Youtube, Yahoo Widgets, And Picasso Are available as Channels. I bought the Wireless adapter for 80 bucks on Amazon, and the signal is clean and quick! I also have a wireless N router which the lg dongle is compatible with. VUDU HDX is quite simply,,, astounding. Blue ray quality streamed live to your tv!....

Please ask me any questions you may have regarding the TV, as I am sure that many of you are on the fence. I am amoung the few to purchase the first batch of these tvs, so I would love to inform you on any questions you may have. Thanks!
post #375 of 833 Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM

I just ordered this TV today and should be here late this week or early next. I was comparing the Panasonic g25, because as an employee of an unmentionable investment bank I get discounts below wholesale on many things, and the Samsung 50C550. Anyhow i was getting the G25 50" for just under $1100. However I decided to look at the LG right before I ordered. I believe i made the correct choice by the comments above. This is the first HD TV i have owned. I have always been more into music. My AV is a marantz 7002 and I ordered the Marantz 7004 BR player. My 5.1 theater speaker system is B&W 785 series. I can't wait to hear and see David Gilmore's "Live at Gadansk" on Blu ray Lossless.
I have a question though. How does the tv hook up with the internet for Pandora etc?
I have a motem and a wireless connection to my laptop in the same room as the TV will be placed.
post #376 of 833 Old 04-28-2010, 07:28 PM

to the above poster:

the LG 60pk750 connects to the internet via 2 methods:

1. .A hardwired ethernet connection that jacks into the back of the panel

2. .A Wireless connection by using the following product : LG ANWF100 / AN-WF100 / AN-WF100 Wi-Fi USB Adapter

(I have bought the wireless adapter and it performs flawlessly. It has wireless n capability and the speed is superb)

If you do a search for the wirelss dongle, it appears sold out. However, I called electronic express and they had it in stock.
BTW, pandora is not offered yet on the netcast menu. Only::

Yahoo Widgets, netflix, vudu, youtube, and picassa.
post #377 of 833 Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbf9999 View Post

I just ordered this TV today and should be here late this week or early next. I was comparing the Panasonic g25, because as an employee of an unmentionable investment bank I get discounts below wholesale on many things, and the Samsung 50C550. Anyhow i was getting the G25 50" for just under $1100. However I decided to look at the LG right before I ordered. I believe i made the correct choice by the comments above. This is the first HD TV i have owned. I have always been more into music. My AV is a marantz 7002 and I ordered the Marantz 7004 BR player. My 5.1 theater speaker system is B&W 785 series. I can't wait to hear and see David Gilmore's "Live at Gadansk" on Blu ray Lossless.
I have a question though. How does the tv hook up with the internet for Pandora etc?
I have a motem and a wireless connection to my laptop in the same room as the TV will be placed.

Hi -

Were you able to compare both displays in a store? I'm in the same boat - I've seem the Samsung in store and it looks great, but haven't gotten a look at the LG xx750 series, but I'm thinking of ordering it anyway. Its available at just under $1100 as well.

Odd that Pandora isn't included as it is included with Netflix, Vudo, Picassa etc on my LG 570 network blu ray player.

As someone already posted, for internet connectivity, you just plug into the port on the back of the tv or use a wireless adapter, I've found both to work flawlessly on my LG bluray player.
post #378 of 833 Old 04-29-2010, 08:34 AM

I have seen the samsung besides the lgpk750.

here are my thoughts.

They are both at the same price point. The samsung image is slightly better.

However;:

For the same price, with the LG, you get the netcast feature suite, a single pane of glass, much better on screen menus, superior remote, and no buzzing from the tv. Samsungs are notorious for buzzing. And imo, are not as good with quality control as recent LGS.

I think the choice is clear for the above reasons. The 2010 LGs are superior to the Samsungs. My friends who have samsungs all have loud buzzing noises that make it hard to enjoy movies without getting a headache.
post #379 of 833 Old 04-29-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medkrishna View Post

I have seen the samsung besides the lgpk750.

What Samsung?
post #380 of 833 Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Samsung 50C550
post #381 of 833 Old 04-29-2010, 03:57 PM

Really nice to see the LG XXPK750 getting the love I believe it deserves. I have owned mine for 2 weeks now and could not be happier with my purchase. I also considered the Samsung PNXXC6500 but am so glad I took a chance on a relatively unknown HDTV like the LG. There are more features I keep finding. Like you can stream directly to the TV .mkv files, which is not possible on my PS3. I no longer have to convert them. And oh my goodness do they look incredible. After 2 weeks of intense movie watching, PS3 gaming, etc. there is nothing about this TV I don't like.

To the above poster about Pandora, I am not sure it will be available on the TV. If you look at LG's site about Netcast features it only lists Pandora as being available on their Bluray systems. Little bummed and hope they add Pandora to the TV. BTW, if you want to see the true beauty of this TV watch BBC's Life series, it will blow you away.
post #382 of 833 Old 05-03-2010, 07:18 AM

Good news for you guys and bad news for me and a few others. I purchase my 60pk750 two weeks ago for $1878.

Amazon has it now listed for $1627 from MODIA with free shipping and no tax.

DAMN!!!!
post #383 of 833 Old 05-03-2010, 10:38 AM

Kabouter

there is a 100€ cashback action now on 50PK750(or free 299€ wireless media box!)
that made ME change my order from Pk550 (not before end mai) to PK750(in stock)

ps: van Belgie of Nederland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabouter View Post

So I wanted to order the pk550, but it isn't available here anywhere (they are expecting it again in a month).
The 750pk is in stock though, but it is 200 euro's more expensive. Now I haven't seen any of these sets with my own eyes, the only ones I saw were the panasonic ones but I really did not like their design.

My room is fairly bright though, is it possible to do some daytime viewing on the pk750 without closing the curtains (something which from the youtube vids I saw is impossible on the pk550)? And how is the design compared to the pk550, and what is the build in audio quality?

Other contenders are:

Samsung c6500 (450 more)
sony ex500 46 inch lcd (250 more)
Samsung c630 46inch lcd (250 more)

So my question is: for a bright room, is the pk750 worth 200 more? And how does the design compare to the pk550?

post #384 of 833 Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 PM

Hi, no cashback for this moment in France...

In france its not PK750 its PK760 and its very hard to find 60PK760

I would like buy this model !
post #385 of 833 Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
CNET is posting a review of the 50PK750 soon.
post #386 of 833 Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

CNET is posting a review of the 50PK750 soon.

Here it is: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...tag=txt%3bpage
post #387 of 833 Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

terribad review, i sent him an email about the image processing problem. And information about the PK550
post #388 of 833 Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 PM

I bought this tv anyway despite the image enhancing bug and glare issues. I am not a huge videophile, and felt this tv is good enough for my eyes and wallet. Hopefully, I am not disappointed! Anyway, does anyone know how to get the wireless media hub? I don't see it for sale anywhere. Hasn't it been out since the older LG tvs supported it? BTW, I got it at Adorama for 1699 with 3% cashback. THey had it on ebay for the same price, but for some reason the 8% ebay Bing cashback is no longer active . That would have brought it down to 1560ish :/
post #389 of 833 Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The wireless media hub (box) is a new product.

About that image enhancing bug, I have written this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1405
post #390 of 833 Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Hi guys. What wall mount are you using for the 50"?
Going to install mine at eye level. I'm thinking on a Sanus fixed mount, but I don't think I am going to have enough clearance for the hdmi cables.

Thanks for your input!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page