The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 5218 Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all; any suggestions on how to get the PK550's resolution to be correct when attached to a PC with the resolution set at 1080p? It seems to cut off the top and bottom, and there doesn't seem to be a "full pixel" option like on other TVs...

(PS - the TV is attached to a macbook, soon to be mac mini)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 5218 Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck88 View Post

Hi all; any suggestions on how to get the PK550's resolution to be correct when attached to a PC with the resolution set at 1080p? It seems to cut off the top and bottom, and there doesn't seem to be a "full pixel" option like on other TVs...

(PS - the TV is attached to a macbook, soon to be mac mini)

Setting the resolution to "just scan" solved that problem for me.
post #3603 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 AM

Liked: 12
hello all, i have had my 50pk550 for four months now and in the last two weeks green dots have started to show up.they are in a pattern that is almost the same size as the screen.any thoughts on a fix.i am using cinema mode with settings eyeballed to my taste.the PQ on the set has been fantastic and I have had no other problems.I sit about 10 feet away from the tv and never seen the dots before.
post #3604 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 AM

Question for you folks. I am enjoying my new 50pk550 since its arrival on Saturday. i put in Palladia last night and there was a David Gilmour concert. So when I turned up the volume my speakers had a staticy vibration at times, especially with Bass. Then we watched a movie last night and we noticed the same thing. I hadn't noticed any of this during normal viewing (tv shows/sports).

I know these newer, thinner TVs have diminished (e.g. tinny) sound performance, but is this normal?
post #3605 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnajar View Post

i put in Palladia last night and there was a David Gilmour concert.

Pink Floyd... Pink Floyd...
post #3606 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 168
For those interested, here are my settings for the XBOX 360 using VGA:

Quote:
Energy Saving: Off\t\t

Picture Mode: ISF Expert 1\t\t

Contrast (40ftL):\t\t79
Brightness:\t\t25
H Sharpness:\t\t50
V Sharpness:\t\t50
Color:\t\t59
Tint:\t\tR14
Color Temperature:\t\tW30

\t\tExpert Control Settings

Dynamic Contrast:\t\tOff\t(greyed out)
Noise Reduction:\t\tOff\t(greyed out)
Gamma:\t\tMedium\t
Black Level:\t\tAuto\t(greyed out)
Film Mode:\t\tOff\t(greyed out)
Color Standard:\t\tHD\t(greyed out)
Color Gamut:\t\tStandard\t
Edge Enhancer:\t\tOff\t(greyed out)

White Balance:\t\tWarm\t
Method:\t\t2 Points\t
Pattern:\t\tOuter\t

\t\t2-Point IRE Settings\t

Red Contrast\t\t-11
Green Contrast\t\t0
Blue Contrast\t\t2
Red Brightness\t\t-3
Green Brightness\t\t-1
Blue Brightness\t\t0

Side notes:\t\t

XBOX 360 Settings\t\t

Output Resolution:\t\t1920x1080
Reference Levels:\t\tExpanded
(Please note these are only 2-point settings. My gamma tracking was close enough post-calibration that I didn't feel a 20-point was necessary right away. I will possibly do one in the future, but these settings should give you nice picture.)

A couple of things. Firstly, I had "Horizontal Sharpness" set at 44 as that setting produced no visible ringing on the test pattern. However, after playing a few games at that setting I felt it was simply too blurry, so I brought it up to 50. That solved the problem. There may be some slight ringing but at 5 feet away, I can't notice it.

Secondly, most people frown upon the 360 being set to Expanded. After trying to calibrate with the 360 set to Standard (using VGA obviously), it's simply not possible with this set. There are certain anomalies that become present at low IRE's when using Standard. I toyed around with the gamma setting on the TV but that didn't help. In the end, the 360 set to Expanded worked. Looking at test patterns, I don't seem to be getting any black or white clipping.

One other odd thing that I want to mention is that switching from an HDMI source to the VGA source can be iffy at times. I've noticed on a few occasions that when I switch from watching a Bluray on my PS3 to the VGA input on the TV, the video is far too dark. It's almost as if the black level setting in the TV has changed itself along with the gamma setting. This produces an unusable image. My only recourse is to turn everything off, then turn everything back on starting with the TV.

So there you have it. Sorry for the lengthy explanation but I didn't want to leave anyone in the dark.

LG_50PK550_40ftL_VGA.pdf 27.630859375k . file

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #3607 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Question for you folks. I am enjoying my new 50pk550 since its arrival on Saturday. i put in Palladia last night and there was a David Gilmour concert. So when I turned up the volume my speakers had a staticy vibration at times, especially with Bass. Then we watched a movie last night and we noticed the same thing. I hadn't noticed any of this during normal viewing (tv shows/sports).

I know these newer, thinner TVs have diminished (e.g. tinny) sound performance, but is this normal?

I get the same thing when music with a lot of bass plays through the TV speakers. I'm pretty sure it's normal. I don't think the speakers are meant to be cranked up. Same thing happens to my cheapie PC speakers. I was planning on buying a receiver and some nice speakers anyways.
post #3608 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan architect View Post

really ? If some one posts his chad calibrated settings on his display it won't b the same on my display?

I think even if they say it won't make it, i think they will be a improove no matter what!

I'm from mexico, so chad is impossible for me, and i want to get the best out of the display! So anyone mind to share hia pro custom calibrated settings?

Dont trust guys here, ppl are stupid, i almost always know 3 times more about the product than all the sales man on the floor ( cough: " geek )
hahaha

+1
post #3609 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 168
alan architect and e2g_,

I have posted my settings for various inputs in this thread. Feel free to click on my name and search for more of my posts. Some settings work well, others don't. Each set is different, with different variables such as placement and lighting. That and production of the set and how you break it in may result in a different looking image.

With that said, you shouldn't expect someone who shelled out $300-$400 for a pro calibration to post their settings. I know I wouldn't. You didn't spend the money to have it done, they did. I post my settings because I enjoy calibration as a hobby and am still learning. But I'm by no means a pro calibrator, just someone who decided to take the DIY routine. I'm in no way trying to insult professional calibrators such as Chad. His work is nothing short of amazing, I'm sure.

I would suggest looking into the DIY stuff if you can't find a decent calibrator in your area.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #3610 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynefish View Post

I get the same thing when music with a lot of bass plays through the TV speakers. I'm pretty sure it's normal. I don't think the speakers are meant to be cranked up. Same thing happens to my cheapie PC speakers. I was planning on buying a receiver and some nice speakers anyways.

Yeah, I checked tonight when I got home. It is the Bass speakers/drivers on the bottom of the TV crackling. It happens at a relatively low volume level (30-40). For instance, AMC has Top Gun on now and with all of the jet effects I got tons of that noise.

I am going to contact LG and see if that is normal.
post #3611 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I checked tonight when I got home. It is the Bass speakers/drivers on the bottom of the TV crackling. It happens at a relatively low volume level (30-40). For instance, AMC has Top Gun on now and with all of the jet effects I got tons of that noise.

I'm curious too. Please post back what they say.
post #3612 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

With that said, you shouldn't expect someone

It was kind of silly of me to expect that.I know of previous posts, such as yours, of others sharing their settings (not calibrated by a professional) and more on the lines of what I was seeking out. Excuse the redundant inquiry as I normally search before I am so quick at saying "+1".

Thanks.
post #3613 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I had a similar problem with the speakers making a rattling/creaking noise and I tightened the speaker screws and that seemed to alleviate the problem. The screws for the speakers are easily accessible and you don't need to take apart the frame or anything like that. You will need to take the TV stand off (if you are using it) but that's it. It's easy-peasy.
post #3614 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 PM

Liked: 11
I know it has probably been answered, but how do you transfer picture settings from one input to another?

I just finished setting up expert 2 on hdmi 1 so there must be an easy way to transfer all those settings and white balance to hdmi 2, right?

Thanks
post #3615 of 5218 Old 10-06-2010, 11:25 PM

so no one has found a fix for the green dot thing?I read through the other green dots postings and opinions vary.i was hoping some one had more info.
post #3616 of 5218 Old 10-07-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

With that said, you shouldn't expect someone who shelled out $300-$400 for a pro calibration to post their settings. I know I wouldn't. You didn't spend the money to have it done, they did. I post my settings because I enjoy calibration as a hobby and am still learning. But I'm by no means a pro calibrator, just someone who decided to take the DIY routine. I'm in no way trying to insult professional calibrators such as Chad. His work is nothing short of amazing, I'm sure.

This is kinda silly. Calibration is being done to your taste for your own pleasure. You don't lose anything by sharing. Lets say you buy a car and don't know how to set up your stereo. You pay someone and he sets it for you. Now you know how it's done. And you would not share your knowledge to someone in the same situation ? Because you paid someone to show you and you have a fine working stereo? Really? It's a matter of choice, of course, but I find it ridiculous.

So, all in all, if you pay for a pro calibrator, he sets some numbers in your TV, then is perfectly normal to take the secret to the grave?
post #3617 of 5218 Old 10-07-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersonic View Post

so no one has found a fix for the green dot thing?I read through the other green dots postings and opinions vary.i was hoping some one had more info.

Well, I've come to accept it. I really wish there was a fix through firmware update or something. I just put the brightness at 50 or so and I don't really notice the dots and I just enjoy the picture (sometimes the screen looks grainy in dark scenes and I can tell it's those little green dots behind there). I have had a close look at other plasma screens (other LG models as well) and none are as pronounced with dithering as this model from what I have seen.

However, if you say it has become progressively worse, then that does not sound normal, especially if visible from a normal viewing distance. Perhaps a technician should have it checked out.

Unfortunately I don't a solution for you (yet I hope!...)
post #3618 of 5218 Old 10-07-2010, 07:39 AM

I play both ps3 and 360 and i dont motive any screen lag, i only play fps, guitar hero and dirt2.

There's not lag at all. The only lag that really matters is Internet lag, that happens on big games or when someone is downloading stuff.

( I have kind of crappy Internet too )

Seriously not worry about screen lag, you'll never get that. Worry about Internet lag
post #3619 of 5218 Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuuu View Post

So, all in all, if you pay for a pro calibrator, he sets some numbers in your TV, then is perfectly normal to take the secret to the grave?

Why not? Pay your own way dude!!!

This is the problem with people today ... everyone looking for free handouts, nobody willing to accept personal responsibility.
post #3620 of 5218 Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Why not? Pay your own way dude!!!

This is the problem with people today ... everyone looking for free handouts, nobody willing to accept personal responsibility.

The main problem I see is that the calibration is TV dependent. IMO, your just as well off using a preset as using a calibration setting for someone's tv.

There are just too many variables in manufacturing.
post #3621 of 5218 Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore View Post

The main problem I see is that the calibration is TV dependent. IMO, your just as well off using a preset as using a calibration setting for someone's tv.

There are just too many variables in manufacturing.

Exactly. Unfortunately, this is something people REFUSE to accept.
post #3622 of 5218 Old 10-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersonic View Post

I've read this entire forum topic in preparation for getting this HDTV myself and I would defer to what Shaddix (who seems to be very experienced with this set) has stressed multiple times: he can make these green dots appear and disappear by altering the calibration of the contrast and brightness. If you have a properly functioning set and calibrate it correctly you will not see the dancing green dots. You can get some guidance on calibrating these items in the "Basic Guide to Color Calibration using a CMS" topic in this forum. If you can't get the dots to disappear you may well have malfunctioning hardware which needs to be exchanged or called in for service. It may well be that as the phosphors age the green dots could get worse because calibration needs to change after the break in period and I would be wary of basing it on what you see in stores because those HDTV's are probably not calibrated correctly. Hope you find a solution for your dithering problem.
post #3623 of 5218 Old 10-07-2010, 12:54 PM

Tried searching but couldn't find out how to find the amount of hours on the TV.

could someone point me in the right direction

thanks
post #3624 of 5218 Old 10-07-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore View Post

The main problem I see is that the calibration is TV dependent. .

That's true too, but it merely masks the underlying issue of folks wanting to freeload.

If you can't afford to have someone calibrate it professionally and you lack the skills/tools to do it yourself then perhaps this hobby isn't the best use of your money.
post #3625 of 5218 Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Greetings, friends. My new 60PK550 is scheduled to be delivered on Monday the 11th. As a long-time AVS member, I have learned much about my gear here, and look forward to working through this thread in the coming weeks. However, like many of them, this thread is quite long, especially for a late adopter like me (I got a great deal on the TV; I expect it to be discontinued before I finish getting through all the posts here). So, in the short term, can you point me to the Greatest Hits? Just a quick glance already tells me I need to do a 100 hour burn in. Any other good advice?
post #3626 of 5218 Old 10-08-2010, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the help guy's.I have not played with the contrast and brightness or any of the color controls since I set the set up.Maybe I need to change some settings.
post #3627 of 5218 Old 10-08-2010, 05:38 PM

How bad is the power consumption on this model? It must be really bad, because through several searches I can't find any definite answer. I know for one thing it isn't Energy Star complaint, I searched their TV database. Even LG won't even list the power consumption! They say "TBD" in their full specs for this TV. I think its really wrong that a company can withhold information like that and make consumers find out themselves.

So how bad is it? Send me a PM, because I will most likely forget about this thread.
post #3628 of 5218 Old 10-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymayeshere View Post

How bad is the power consumption on this model? It must be really bad, because through several searches I can't find any definite answer. I know for one thing it isn't Energy Star complaint, I searched their TV database. Even LG won't even list the power consumption! They say "TBD" in their full specs for this TV. I think its really wrong that a company can withhold information like that and make consumers find out themselves.

So how bad is it?

Not sure but it releases very little heat in a way similar to LCD's, which is a strong sign that it's much more power efficient than older plasmas which put off heat similar to toaster ovens.

A non-answer i know, but a good sign none-the-less, at least compared to pre-2008-2009 plasmas.

I could have sworn that someone posted kill-a-watt measurements in older posts, but i may have that confused with info in other plasma threads, it might take some creative key-word searches within this thread to find out.
post #3629 of 5218 Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 PM

Liked: 14
Sorry for double posting.

I'm about to buy the LG 60PK550.
Where I order it will depend on my ability to transport it myself vs. aving it delivered.
What are the dimensions of the box please, anyone?
post #3630 of 5218 Old 10-08-2010, 08:17 PM

Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD)60.2” x 41.7” x 19.6”
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50pk550c 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page