The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've had my eye on this TV for a while, been thinking about getting the 50 inch, the only thing holding me back is the reports of the pretty high input lag. Any owners out there manage to reduce their input lag below the reported 80-90ms or so?

If the input lag can't be reduced, what other similar models are there with less input lag? The G20/25?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharahji View Post

So I've had my eye on this TV for a while, been thinking about getting the 50 inch, the only thing holding me back is the reports of the pretty high input lag. Any owners out there manage to reduce their input lag below the reported 80-90ms or so?

If the input lag can't be reduced, what other similar models are there with less input lag? The G20/25?

If you want the smallest lag possible, G20/25 is the only option.
Personally, I don't feel any lag on it, but I am just a casual gamer.
post #453 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

FYI, HHGregg offering a 2010 model LG blu ray player(B550) with the 50PK550 or 60PK550. VERY VERY nice deal.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #454 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumon View Post

Mauri,

The bandings are visible on any input. The picture shows my PC desktop with black wallpaper.
The bright lights is windows task bar. I had to overexpose the picture a little to make the
banding more visible for the computer monitors.
I could actually see the bandings on any solid background (maybe except totally white).
I could definitely see them on most of the "break in" images that I was running from the
USB stick.
The picture settings were on Cinema mode (brightness: 35 contrast: 55)

dumon,
some more questions:

1. What is the brightness and Contrast range on those U.S. models? 0-100 like our E.U. models?

2. Did you use an HDMI connection (PC mode) on your PK? How many HDMI ports have you tried?

3. I need to know all the TV settings of the Cinema --> Advanced options (or what it is called on your U.S. models), and what you was watching in Cinema mode: DVD? BD? what player?

4. During the pc connection, do you have some Image options available? There is one called "Black Level" or something like that, like the one available in Cinema mode (Advanced options)?

In the meantime, tomorrow I'll have a look on a LG tech doc for service centers I discovered online some time ago, which help them to find hardware problems/defects, and solutions.
post #455 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

dumon,
some more questions:

1. What is the brightness and Contrast range on those U.S. models? 0-100 like our E.U. models?

2. Did you use an HDMI connection (PC mode) on your PK? How many HDMI ports have you tried?

3. I need to know all the TV settings of the Cinema --> Advanced options (or what it is called on your U.S. models), and what you was watching in Cinema mode: DVD? BD? what player?

4. During the pc connection, do you have some Image options available? There is one called "Black Level" or something like that, like the one available in Cinema mode (Advanced options)?

In the meantime, tomorrow I'll have a look on a LG tech doc for service centers I discovered online some time ago, which help them to find hardware problems/defects, and solutions.

Here I've tried another test to exclude any HDMI connection issues.
The following screenshot was made when showing one of the plasma "break in" images from the USB stick.
It is a solid gray image.
You can definitely see the same banding pattern. Reminds you an LCD?

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5007/img0823i.jpg
post #456 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM

My 50PK550 arrived today, one day ahead of schedule! I'm doing the burn-in DVD patterns, but I was wondering what settings you guys have found to look best?

Contrast, Brightness, H/V Sharpness, Color, Tint

Dynamic Contrast, Noise Reduction, Gamma, Black Level, Film Mode, Color Gamut, Edge Enhancer

White Balance
-Method
-Pattern
post #457 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Where might I find the ability to change the hz output of the tv? I'm using a ps3 for my blue ray player as well. I guess I need to match the 30fps/50hz of the blu-ray (from ps3) to 60hz on the tv to avoid the soap opera effect?..... I just need some help figuring out how to do this.
post #458 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn-Daft View Post

Where might I find the ability to change the hz output of the tv? I'm using a ps3 for my blue ray player as well. I guess I need to match the 30fps/50hz of the blu-ray (from ps3) to 60hz on the tv to avoid the soap opera effect?..... I just need some help figuring out how to do this.

There is a setting on the PS3 for 24p Playback. Enable that and set the output to 1080p.
post #459 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronChiles View Post

There is a setting on the PS3 for 24p Playback. Enable that and set the output to 1080p.

have you found that this eliminates the soap opera effect? I can't stand it and would love to keep this tv and turn it off some how....
post #460 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 08:19 PM

sorry guys i`m not expert , i think images on panasonic g2 series are much brighter with more pop than lg 2010 plasmas because of peak brightness and deeper black level.
overall i don`t think anyone impressed whit LG PQ When seeing both of them side by side.
post #461 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3 View Post

sorry guys i`m not expert , i think images on panasonic g2 series are much brighter with more pop than lg 2010 plasmas because of peak brightness and deeper black level.
overall i don`t think anyone impressed whit LG PQ When seeing both of them side by side.

take a look at this review by a professional, he compares the G20/25 and the PK550:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=88

keep in mind the PK550 is several hundred dollars cheaper than the panasonic
post #462 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

take a look at this review by a professional, he compares the G20/25 and the PK550:

I think G20/25 has to be compared with PK750 to be fair, as PK550 is
missing all the networking features.
post #463 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

sorry, should have specified he compares the picture quality of the two sets.
Panny has forced us into paying an extra 300 dollars for internet widgets!? I am happy LG has given us an option
post #464 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 PM

For those of us running Blu-Ray off PS3's..... If you don't like the soap opera effect that happens, go into your video settings and select "off" on the 24hz BD movie option. This will give you back the more theater like picture.

On a separate note, I notices today that when i have the volume down I can hear a buzzing coming from the upper right side on the back of the TV. Is this a fault on my model and would returning it for another possibly fix the problem? Any one else have this happen?
post #465 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:

For those of us running Blu-Ray off PS3's..... If you don't like the soap opera effect that happens, go into your video settings and select "off" on the 24hz BD movie option. This will give you back the more theater like picture.

It will be doing 2:3 pull down and will introduce judder on some scenes.
post #466 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On a separate note, I notices today that when i have the volume down I can hear a buzzing coming from the upper right side on the back of the TV. Is this a fault on my model and would returning it for another possibly fix the problem? Any one else have this happen?

When I had mine I heard a buzz when I was behind it also, could hear nothing from the front though. This is normal I think.
post #467 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:

When I had mine I heard a buzz when I was behind it also, could hear nothing from the front though. This is normal I think.

I can also hear a slight buzz from behind and maybe standing a couple of feet in front if nothing else in the house is running. If I get to six feet away I hear no buzzing.
post #468 of 5219 Old 04-01-2010, 11:10 PM

so is this buzzing considered normal? I mean with the fan on my ps3 running and the volume up I can't hear it. Just wanna make sure I didn't get a busted set is all.
post #469 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronChiles View Post

My 50PK550 arrived today, one day ahead of schedule! I'm doing the burn-in DVD patterns, but I was wondering what settings you guys have found to look best?

Contrast, Brightness, H/V Sharpness, Color, Tint

Dynamic Contrast, Noise Reduction, Gamma, Black Level, Film Mode, Color Gamut, Edge Enhancer

White Balance
-Method
-Pattern

I have written a post a couple of weeks ago (maybe on this thread) about suggested settings (Cinema mode, and so on). Have a look to my profile, then to my posts.

For more in-depht, you should learn how to properly calibrate the display. There is a section also on this big forum about display calibration, as well as on many others. Plus there are some guides on the Web; here is one of the best I have found out for starting:

http://www.displaycalibrationonline....ices_guide.asp

and this:

http://www.chromapure.com/colorscience.asp

Black Level option is regarding the RGB range of the HDMI inputs (at least). "High" is 0-255, mostly used with PC connection, and sometimes with the PS3. The source (pc or consolle) must be set to match the same RGB level of the HDMI input of the TV. "Low" is 16-235", mostly used with DVD and BD players.

Gamma should be set to 2.2 (more infos on the PDF manual of your TV)

Color Gamut should be set to "Standard" or "Normal". Not to "Wide".

Dynamic Contrast should be set to OFF for a better global picture quality.

Noise Reduction is a filter, usually should be set to OFF if the source is good.

More explanations are on the PDF user manual, but read also the 2 guides I gave you the links
post #470 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

so is this buzzing considered normal? I mean with the fan on my ps3 running and the volume up I can't hear it. Just wanna make sure I didn't get a busted set is all.

It would be very unusual to get any plasma set that doesn't buzz at all. My Panny buzzes too. Don't panic..it is normal unless it is so loud that you hear it over your sound system.
post #471 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

I have written a post a couple of weeks ago (maybe on this thread) about suggested settings (Cinema mode, and so on). Have a look to my profile, then to my posts.

For more in-depht, you should learn how to properly calibrate the display. There is a section also on this big forum about display calibration, as well as on many others. Plus there are some guides on the Web; here is one of the best I have found out for starting:

http://www.displaycalibrationonline....ices_guide.asp

and this:

http://www.chromapure.com/colorscience.asp

Black Level option is regarding the RGB range of the HDMI inputs (at least). "High" is 0-255, mostly used with PC connection, and sometimes with the PS3. The source (pc or consolle) must be set to match the same RGB level of the HDMI input of the TV. "Low" is 16-235", mostly used with DVD and BD players.

Gamma should be set to 2.2 (more infos on the PDF manual of your TV)

Color Gamut should be set to "Standard" or "Normal". Not to "Wide".

Dynamic Contrast should be set to OFF for a better global picture quality.

Noise Reduction is a filter, usually should be set to OFF if the source is good.

More explanations are on the PDF user manual, but read also the 2 guides I gave you the links

Do you actually have a color analyzer ? That's what the review you linked is using. I think it's unrealistic for normal people to go that far.

If you actually have one and used it, would you be willing to share your settings ?

Thanks.

(ps: before a professional calibrator or someone says it, I don't care about the "sharing settings is completely useless" talk)
post #472 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:

that`s great review but I think chad-b calibrations setting based on more attention to prioritize color range over contrast.
in the end , sorry for my english that is not my first language.
post #473 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 AM

i want know the diference between sams club 60PK540 or the regular 60PK540
if is just inputs i buy it.
post #474 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

So, should I return my Samsung 58B550 for the LG 60PK550, or would it not make much of a difference save for the size? For the record, I'm liking the Sammy so far, but I can't help but want something a little bigger.
post #475 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3 View Post

that`s great review but I think chad-b calibrations setting based on more attention to prioritize color range over contrast.
in the end , sorry for my english that is not my first language.

This is from the g20/25 review by chad
Quote:

ANSI contrast measured 1663:1

This is from the pk550 review
Quote:

ANSI contrast measured a very good 2000:1.

There was a Panasonic 50G25 I had just calibrated sitting right next to the PK550. I just couldn't let the opportunity for a comparison slip by.

The thing that jumped out at me first is that the PK550 picks up much more glare than the G25. The G25 is probably the best plasma I have ever seen in that regard. With both sets turned off, the PK550's screen might have been a tiny bit darker with the lights on; but the reflections were much more distracting. The slim PK550 seems to run hotter than the thicker G25, which seems to produce surprisingly little heat. With both sets on but with a black 0% input, the G25 subjectively has slightly darker blacks, and it's blacks were more neutral in color than the PK550's slightly greenish glow. The PK550 seemed to be more susceptible to image retention than the G25.

The PK550 has much smoother pans; the G25's 48Hz mode has too much flicker in my opinion, so I never use it. That gave the PK550 the advantage in handling 1080P/24 Blu Ray motion. The PK550 had bolder colors than the G25, and had a harder edged look with more pop. The G25 looked less contrasty and a bit on the washed out side of neutral in comparison. The G25 had more visible shadow detail, but it was a bit too visible to be truly accurate. The G25 had a slightly greener tinge and paler look to fleshtones. If you are the type of videophile who routinely turns down the color saturation to make various sources more palatable, then the G25's presentation would appeal more to you. On the other hand, lovers of rich and vibrant color tones would be more attracted to the PK550's picture.

post #476 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:

This is from the g20/25 review by chad

This is from the pk550 review

These numbers were measured after calibrated by chad-b.
i think panasonic g2x series is much contrasty with more pop than all of lg pkxxx series on factory and default settings and many of its settings looks much beautiful than most calibrated setting to me. in my eyes panny is much brighter and black level looks deeper than lg , as far as I know when you have much brighter white and deeper black level you have better contrast.
post #477 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Well, none of my local Sears' have the 60PK550, so how in the heck am I supposed to decide whether it's worth the money being charged? Do I really want to risk ordering it from Amazon only to see that it's really no better than my Samsung 58B550? Are the extra 2 inches worth the hassle?
post #478 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipper IV View Post

Well, none of my local Sears' have the 60PK550, so how in the heck am I supposed to decide whether it's worth the money being charged? Do I really want to risk ordering it from Amazon only to see that it's really no better than my Samsung 58B550? Are the extra 2 inches worth the hassle?

Only you can decide that. I'd say probably not. If you're happy with your set(ie non-buzzer, no dead pixels or banding), I'd personally stay put.

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
post #479 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmaker View Post

only you can decide that. I'd say probably not. If you're happy with your set(ie non-buzzer, no dead pixels or banding), i'd personally stay put.

+1
post #480 of 5219 Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 PM

Ok, after a few days with my 60pk550, some thoughts:

--i have played some Xbox 360 (Bioshock2, Rock Band 2) with no problems with lag or IR. The games look great and play just like they did on any other tv i have used it with.

--i have not seen any IR at all.

--if i use the break in slides i can see not exactly bands, but sort of clouds on some colors. Totally invisible in the real world. And, if it shows a white screen, no clouds, but an audible buzzing. IF any sound is on, buzzing cannot be heard

--the picture quality is great, in comparison with a 4 year old panny plasma and a 1 month old vizio vf550m lcd, which had gorgeous colors but hideous motion issues.

--blacks are excellent, but what do i know?

--i wish someone would post some suggested settings. there are a lot of options, and i frankly found the "picture wizard" to suck--pic looked both dim and too colorful. I'd love to hear what others are doing with color temp and the individual color adjustment options.

--i ordered from amazon, and the experience was painless and the price good.

--the set's styling, fwiw, is sleek and looks fantastic mounted on our bedroom wall

Overall: for the price, a wonderful tv. Once fully broken in, i will dial up contrast etc. My installer guy shook his head in wonder when i told him the purchase price. He sees hundreds of tv's and he thought it was a steal.

I'm using this with a DTV HR-22. Can anyone tell me how to set the tv/box so that a 4:3 image is ALWAYS gray bars on the side? If i toy with the LG's ratio button, i get a gray bar bracketing a narrowed image with other black bars. I have the dtv box set to "native", and gray bars, but it doesnt seem to work.

thanks to all!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50pk550c 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 60pk950 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page