The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 174 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5191 of 5219 Old 06-28-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorak View Post

HI guys,
I have the 55 inch PK550. I have my TV providing the optial out to my sound bar, as I have more optial input devices (four) than my LG soundbar has optical inputs (two), so I have my PK550 providing optical out to the sound bar.
The problem I am having is when commercials come on or the camera switches, etc, the audio cut sout for 5-10 seconds. it's almost like sit's having to handshake again with the TV (even though it's optical, so there is no handshake like with HDMI). Any settings I can change?
Thanks

Receivers typically have some sort of lag when they switch modes.. ie 2.0 to 5.1 and I would imagine that a sound bar would experience the same issue. This would only happen when you change channels or a TV program goes to commercial. This shouldn't happen when they switch camera angles.

On your setup.. I don't understand.. do you have the devices connected to the TV via HDMI and then you are passing the sound thorugh the TV's optical? Usually the TV would only output 2.0 PCM sound anyway, not DD 5.1, which I believe is restricted in the HDMI spec. The only other thing I can think of is the handshake is happening between the TV and the source device and that handshake delay would also "mute" your soundbar until the TV handshake is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorak View Post

Hi guys,
Another problem with my PK550 - I have green "noise" on the screen - Any way to fix?

All PK550's having dancing green pixels due to the dithering algorithm the TV uses.. It was designed this way. You shouldn't be seeing the pixels from a normal seating distance though. Move back if they bother you.

Michael

Collection: DVD | High-def
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5219 Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post

Receivers typically have some sort of lag when they switch modes.. ie 2.0 to 5.1 and I would imagine that a sound bar would experience the same issue. This would only happen when you change channels or a TV program goes to commercial. This shouldn't happen when they switch camera angles.
On your setup.. I don't understand.. do you have the devices connected to the TV via HDMI and then you are passing the sound thorugh the TV's optical? Usually the TV would only output 2.0 PCM sound anyway, not DD 5.1, which I believe is restricted in the HDMI spec. The only other thing I can think of is the handshake is happening between the TV and the source device and that handshake delay would also "mute" your soundbar until the TV handshake is complete.
All PK550's having dancing green pixels due to the dithering algorithm the TV uses.. It was designed this way. You shouldn't be seeing the pixels from a normal seating distance though. Move back if they bother you.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. The sound bar issue is a problem with... the sound bar! cool.gif Some googling determined an issue with the PCM handshake on input 1. Changing to input 2 has solved the issue. I will have LG replace the sound bar, as they are replacing it due to the issue for users I have read about on other forums.

Thanks for the info on the dancing pixels! I wish I had asked earlier, I have replaced the HDMI several times to no avail, and was beginning to think the TV was at fault. "Glad" to hear it's a normal issue.

Thanks again.
post #5193 of 5219 Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys!

I had a question pertaining to the blue plastic trim on the bottom of the LG PK540 I own. After moving it several times it has come loose. There seems to be a screw in the middle that releases the middle section of this frame, but has anyone successfully taken this little piece of trim that runs along the bottom off? It's a real hand cutter when wall mounting it or moving the TV. Stupid decision on LG's part IMO.
post #5194 of 5219 Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 AM

Nobody responded to my initial post so I will try again cool.gif

Does anybody know of a way to do a Master/Hard Reset on this TV? confused.gif

Thank You
post #5195 of 5219 Old 09-17-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I've had my 50PK550 since November 2010 and it's been a good TV until yesterday when it developed a thin horizontal black line.

1zp4qhz.jpg

It doesn't even need an input for it to show -- it's clearly visible when there's no signal, when it's connecting, etc.

I guess it's time to find my "proof of purchase" and give LG a call. This should not have happened after only 21 months or so of ownership. My 2007 Panasonic plasma doesn't have any issues.

post #5196 of 5219 Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM

^ Unfortunately I'm experiencing a similar issue on 50PK550, it's got a thin green vertical line going down it. Very disappointed that this soon I'm having issues with what's otherwise been a great TV.
post #5197 of 5219 Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 AM

rant on/

I have a green vertical line 2 pixels wide direct center on the screen. Thanks for the 2 years and 6 months LG. Will cost as much as a new TV to fix. Going back to Panasonic. Should have known better than to buy a cheap ( $1700 ) TV. Never again LG.

Buyer Beware!mad.gif

rant off/

Happy Thanksgiving!smile.gif
post #5198 of 5219 Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Yep, panel is covered but not labor which could be $$$$ and you only get a 90-day warranty. Back to Panasonic for me too. My 50" 720p Panasonic from 2007 is still going strong. Panasonic 55ST50 is looking good...

post #5199 of 5219 Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 AM

This set has turned out to be a huge disappointment for me as well. I have 4:3 burn in now, with brightness being always set down and the limited content we actually watch in 4:3 I can't believe it actually happened. The video tearing issue that's been reported a few times for me is still happening regardless of how many parts the techs that came out replaced. I really received a lemon of a TV, but hey..there's always taxmas. This time I"ll be going with a Panasonic or possibly trying my luck with an LED LCD. This one will probably be retired as a second TV or I could sell it cheap to someone who doesn't mine a little burn in, lol.

Sorry about our luck you guys!
post #5200 of 5219 Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I've had my 50PK550 since November 2010 and it's been a good TV until yesterday when it developed a thin horizontal black line.
1zp4qhz.jpg
It doesn't even need an input for it to show -- it's clearly visible when there's no signal, when it's connecting, etc.
I guess it's time to find my "proof of purchase" and give LG a call. This should not have happened after only 21 months or so of ownership. My 2007 Panasonic plasma doesn't have any issues.

Hey, I had a line just like that (but vertical) show up after 1 year from the date of purchase. I complained to LG a lot and they ended up sending a guy to my place with a brand new panel, he opened up the TV and switched the Panel. I got a brand new panel but I have a feeling it will happen again at some point :/

Apparently the the Panel has longer warranty (2 years?) than the rest of the TV.
post #5201 of 5219 Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi guys, sorry was trying to search for the recommended picture settings but couldnt find it as there are many pages and may have missed it

Can someone help to attach/paste the setting here? Or let me know who to approach for it? =)

Thanks!
post #5202 of 5219 Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
My son in law has a 60PK250 and his won't start. He hears a rely click, but that's it. The panel doesn't fire up. If this was a DLP I would say it's the ballast, but I'm not familiar with plasmas enough.
Any ideas?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #5203 of 5219 Old 06-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I just had my TV calibrated...WOW its like a whole new TV I cannot believe I waited 2+ years to do.....
post #5204 of 5219 Old 06-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Any chance you could post your calibration settings please? smile.gif
post #5205 of 5219 Old 06-21-2013, 11:40 PM

i had chadB calibrate my 50pk550 last august and man did it make a huge difference.I thought I had it set pretty well just by eyeballing the picture,boy was I way off.It took him almost eight hours but he got the maximum out of it as he could.He set expert1 for my cable box 1080i/60 and set expert2 for bluray 1080p/24. I would recommend him to all y'all not only is he worth it the results are fantastic.
Chad B likes this.
post #5206 of 5219 Old 06-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

Any chance you could post your calibration settings please? smile.gif

each TV will be different it also depends on the lighting you use or have in your viewing room.

I used someone else settings before I did this and I though wow big improvement on the picture quality till I sat down with a calibration DVD and wow do the colors now pop...

Download the AV Calibration DVD off this site.
post #5207 of 5219 Old 09-15-2013, 01:04 AM

Hello,

I have a question for everybody,my 50pk550 is three and a half years old(5,5,2010) and has worked great and has given me no problems but recently I have noticed that the air coming out of the right side vent,as you stand in front of the screen,is so hot that you can't hold your hand on the vent.This excessive heat was discovered about two months ago.I did try the adjustments for better blacks but I did not think it did as much for my tv as I thought it would so I put everything back to factory and had Chadb calibrate the set on 8/27/12.If anybody has had this happen to your tv or if you guys think its just normal aging please let my know.
post #5208 of 5219 Old 01-05-2014, 07:49 PM

Anyone ever find a solution to the horizontal video tearing? I now get this not only from my DirecTV box, but from a WD TV Live. You can look up video tear in this thread to get more info from multiple users. I believe this to be some sort of handshaking issue, because if you power off all the devices *completely* and power cycle them starting with the TV first, AVR next and then source the horizontal video tear is not present. The problem with this is that most devices don't turn off, they just sleep like my DirecTV HR34 and WD TV Live. My PS3 hasn't exhibited this issue because it powers down completely and does not sleep. One fix is to turn off all sources, and another seems to change the output to 1080i. Since my DirecTV doesn't actually power off I have unchecked all resolutions except 1080i and I do not get video tearing any longer. Since there really isn't any 1080p content I care about on DTV this workaround is okay for that source, but on my WD TV Live I do stream 1080p often and have to fully power off the device, which means waiting about 2 minutes to power it back on when I feel like watching it.

This TV is now out of warranty and I'm thinking replacing it, unless it's worth fixing. Other than this video tearing that can be worked around I don't have an issue with the TV. Is it worth looking into fixing this TV set? When it was under warranty I had 3 separate service calls and they replaced a bunch of items because I had horrible DSE, but in the process they replaced the panel and it seems that this occurred after the panel replacement.

Any experts have an idea of what this could be?

Here is what this video tearing looks like. It's a rolling line that varies in speed or just a complete frame tear. It comes in both manners pretty consistently. It seems like it happens at 480p, 720p and 1080p. 1080i doesn't seem to be affected by this and power cycling all equipment cures it for the length of that entire session of watching.

I'm thinking I may just end up leaving this damn TV and all equipment on ALL the time to circumvent the issue, lol.

http://tinypic.com/r/w01g75/5
post #5209 of 5219 Old 01-16-2014, 02:13 PM

Liked: 16
So I've had 60" LG PK550 since October 2010, but I just ordered a Panasonic 65VT60 from Amazon. I've been happy with the LG, and I don't know what i'm going to do with it, or whether I can get anything for it selling locally, but the temptation to get the Panny before it went extinct was too much.
post #5210 of 5219 Old 01-19-2014, 12:57 PM

Liked: 11
That is what I had hoped to do, but by the time I got clearance from the wife, Amazon bumped the price up to $2950 (I'm assuming you paid the original $2250) putting it out of reach. Let me know how you like it (sniff, whimper).
post #5211 of 5219 Old 01-21-2014, 07:55 AM

Liked: 16
I actually was able to get it for $2000 (plus 2% amazon rewards, so $1960) before they raised it back to $2300. Advice for next time...order and schedule a far away delivery time, then ask the wife. You'll have plenty of time to cancel the order.
post #5212 of 5219 Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 AM

Hi,

I have a Harmony One remote to my LG 60PK550, could I use this to enter the sevice menu? I want to check the total hour.

I am using the new Logitech Software so the guide in this thread on how to enter the IR code do not wokr.

Any suggestions?
post #5213 of 5219 Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Hi,

I have had my LG 60PK550 for almost 3 years and I have now notice that there is a yellow tint on half the screen, its only visible with bright bacgrounds like totaly white.

There is also some minor ir that is visible with dark backgrounds.

For me LG feels a bit budget but that was known from the beginning.
post #5214 of 5219 Old 04-27-2014, 01:08 PM

Liked: 24
Frustrated - noticed a vertical black line in my 3 1/2 year old 60pk550 this morning. This, of course, after having a wall mount for it delivered Saturday and getting B&W replacements for my LCR on Friday. My luck being what it is, the line is just right of center and my eye picks it up CONSTANTLY. I bought a 3 year extended warranty but, if I'm reading it right ("warranty is inclusive of factory warranty"), I'm about 6 months too late. You'd think a $2000 TV would last longer than this!
post #5215 of 5219 Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey all. It's well past time to re-calibrate my set and I came across this comment by ChadB earlier in this thread - "Some of the nice touches include color isolation controls, which allow more accurate color adjustments than the filters included with test DVDs..."

I have not come across any control that lets you isolate colors like he describes. Any ideas?

Oh, and my set developed a defective vertical line right down the center of the screen 2 months after the Costco extended warranty. I notice it often but I've learned to (mostly) ignore it. Otherwise, this display has been awesome!
post #5216 of 5219 Old 05-11-2014, 03:29 PM

My 60PK550 stopped turning on a few days ago. When I power it on I hear a few clicks, the red light on the front of the unit comes on, but the screen doesn't populate, the backlight never illuminates either. The red light stays on until the TV is powered off, which is followed again by a few clicks.

I let the TV sit off for a few hours with the power unplugged. I was able to get the TV to turn on but after cycling it again the problem came back.

I checked all of the capacitors on the boards, nothing looks blown. Here are some images:

http://i.imgur.com/FpTE3gJ.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/kq00FEg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VGSz8sm.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/qVmrg0L.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4IWXgtg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OvhDfFD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hi3mJqj.jpg

I've found a few links online to repair kits for similar models, but their related instructions don't match my specific power supply board, even though it does look like they have similar parts.

Any assistance would be appreciated! :)

post #5217 of 5219 Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlapaglia View Post

My 60PK550 stopped turning on a few days ago. When I power it on I hear a few clicks, the red light on the front of the unit comes on, but the screen doesn't populate, the backlight never illuminates either. The red light stays on until the TV is powered off, which is followed again by a few clicks.

I let the TV sit off for a few hours with the power unplugged. I was able to get the TV to turn on but after cycling it again the problem came back.

I checked all of the capacitors on the boards, nothing looks blown. Here are some images:

I've found a few links online to repair kits for similar models, but their related instructions don't match my specific power supply board, even though it does look like they have similar parts.

Any assistance would be appreciated! smile.gif

It's probably the power suppy board...here's a you tube video showing how to fix the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9wF0OLyV0k
post #5218 of 5219 Old 06-24-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by mjlapaglia 

Any assistance would be appreciated!

It's probably the power suppy board...here's a you tube video showing how to fix the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9wF0OLyV0k

I agree it's the power supply board , had the same thing happen to my 50pk540 about a year ago , Heard the click but no picture , or sometimes it would shut off while I was watching it . Bought the board for around $100 on amazon and it was a piece of cake to replace.

mjlapaglia , from what I remember there are a few different power supply boards they used in these sets , you need a number off yours to cross reference that you get the right one . Probably pointless to tell you since I'm seeing your post so long after you wrote it , but hopefully it will help someone.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #5219 of 5219 Old 09-21-2014, 09:12 AM

I don't think there's PK250 owners thread and in the past I've asked my questions here too so here goes :P.

Is the 250 able to decode hdmi audio (stereo or DD) to analog output? If not, then what are they for?

I was going to test a Chromecast, but if the TV won't output any sound over analog outputs I might as well forget about it.

Thanks!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50pk550c 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page