The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vo0Do0 View Post

So I was curious about the "film mode" in the options. Why is it always grayed out?

I can manual set the 24p to 48, 60 or 72....right?

I'm confused.

only if the source sent to the tv allows for it.

Pioneer PDP-6020FD E-lite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrandstrongr1 View Post

only if the source sent to the tv allows for it.

The source? Like the disk itself or my PS3?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:

The source? Like the disk itself or my PS3?

if youre playing bds off a ps3 make sure you enable 24p playback, under display setting iirc
Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 PM

I have the PK540 which is the "club" version of this of the PK550. All of the features and specs are identical. If you are a gamer then this tv is NOT for you. The phosphorous trails that come of the edges in games like FPS is unbearable. Playing games that have bright locals is very annoying. For instance in Subway from MW2 the scene is always "blinking". Going from bright to dim every step you take. This also happens in Afghanistan. Not only does this "blinking" happen but the phosphorous trails are really bad and it really hurts your eyes. Bioshock 2 is unplayable and so is Half Life 2. In Half Life 2 the "blinking" is really bad. When you go from dark to bright it looks like an over exposed picture, all detail is gone and it's just bright white before the brightness goes down to normal. So far this problem only affects FPS.

I'm really disappointed so far since everybody kept on telling me to go with plasma for gaming. I really regret selling my Samsung now. While Blu-ray and HD cable look better on the PK540 gaming is crap. So now I have this love hate relationship with this tv and I'm considering of returning it.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How do you have the 540 set? Have you tried the ISF mode?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDinc View Post

How do you have the 540 set? Have you tried the ISF mode?

Yeah I bought it at Sams Club. What is the ISF mode?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

The picture mode in the menu. You may have it on a vivid setting that makes the tv look much worse that it should.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDinc View Post

The picture mode in the menu. You may have it on a vivid setting that makes the tv look much worse that it should.

My 360 is hooked up through HDMI. I'm using Expert and all image processors are turned off.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaildog View Post

if youre playing bds off a ps3 make sure you enable 24p playback, under display setting iirc

Yeah the 24p is enabled on my PS3 but "film mode" is still grayed out.

Has anybody been able to use the supposed 72hz?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:

Yeah the 24p is enabled on my PS3 but "film mode" is still grayed out.

Has anybody been able to use the supposed 72hz?

It's grayed out on mine also. I cannot access the film mode setting even though my Sony Blu-ray is set to out put at 24p.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:29 AM

same here, How do i enable Film Mode?

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the menu adjustment is available for interpolating signals other than 24fps. If you send it 60hz it may light up, but thats not what you are going for Im guessing.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 AM

i read somewhere it only works when a coaxial cable is plugged in from a tv source?? is that right? When i hit info on my tv, it says 1080p/24p. So im assuming its running at full refresh rate. But ...does film mode make it even more smooth? I need some info on this.

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Old 04-06-2010, 12:38 AM

found this from cnet site on sammy plasmas. Same story.

Film Mode is primarily for 480i/p input sources, but even moreso for 480i inputs. What it does is correct the interpoation of the 3:2 pulldown function of the picture.

Not to say that it couldn't be used to process other pictures, but depending on the way the DVD was encoded will depend on the improvement of Film Mode.

In laymans terms, it is supposed to improve the picture.

In technical terms.....

DVDs are based on MPEG-2 encoding, which can be either progressive or interlaced sequences. Most discs use interlaced sequences, since the players are designed for interlaced output (and was the case until upconverting DVD players).

If the sequence on the disc is progressive, then all sorts of rules kick into play so that the material stays progressive from start to finish. If it's interlaced, there are fewer rules and no set requirement to use progressive frames is established within the disc. The encoder can mix and match interlaced fields and progressive frames as long as each second of MPEG-2 data contains exactly 60 fields.

So to display a perfect progressive image from a film-sourced DVD, the player needs to igure out which fields in the MPEG stream go together. It would be nice if the progressive frame flag in the disc would tell the player that the frames are from a film and go together, but it's not always optimized for progressive scan playback.

Most players will use a standard MPEG-2 decoder to generate digital interlaced video that sends the video feed to a deinterlacing chip. If the deinterlacing chip sees a constant stream of 5-field sequences in which the first and third fields are identical, it switches to film-mode deinterlacing.

Film Mode is the one area of deinterlacing that can be objectively perfect.

Film Mode in a television also allows that picture input - regardless of source - to process the picture the same way, since not all players have the ability to do that. Some can send the signal out, which unprocessed, produces a grainy picture. If overprocessed, also produces a grainy picture.

The most common and worst artifacting that you get in film mode happens when the deinterlacer combines together two fields that were never meant to go together. This most often happens when the 3-2 sequence is interrupted and the deinterlacer doesn't act quickly enough. When this happens, the odd numbered lines of the image are from one moment in time, and the even numbered lines are from a different moment in time - thus causing a horrible picture.

The good news is that it is defeatable, so if it's not a process that improves the picture for a progressive scan feed, you can turn it off.

This is an issue that can happen regardless of manufacturer. In saying that, it's important to note that this isn't a Samsung issue as much as it is an industry-compatibility issue.

Samsung products give you the ability to defeat most technologies that would hamper your viewing pleasure as much as we include technologies that enhance your experience.

Hope this helps.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_10...hreadID=299056

sooo..since the info on my tv says the source is 1080p/24p and the motion is smooth, thats good enough for me. Meaning, it's doing what it's suppose to do. So In that regard, i'm content. I wasnt sure myself and was afraid i was missing out on something that would "improve" picture quality.

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Old 04-06-2010, 12:41 AM

Ah... Thanks Bortch... I guess we don't need film mode then. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:44 AM

On my paprika bluray it is running at 24p according to the info button.

This is gonna piss me off if I can't get the 72hz to work...that was the main reason why I wanted this set.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Where did you see that it does 72hz? I dont see it in the specs. It does list 24p though.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borcth View Post

[b]

sooo..since the info on my tv says the source is 1080p/24p and the motion is smooth, thats good enough for me. Meaning, it's doing what it's suppose to do. So In that regard, i'm content. I wasnt sure myself and was afraid i was missing out on something that would "improve" picture quality.

OH...that is the only reason for that then? Thanks for finding that info.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So after messing around with new PK750 for a while, I think the PK550 might be a better television. But I can't remember exactly what text looked like on the PK550 when I had it. The PK7x0 and PK9x0 have this intrusive image processing mentioned in the AVForums review of the PK990. It makes everything darker and puts halos around things like text. Turning on edge enhancement actually makes it MORE faithful to the actual source.

The only way to bypass is to label an hdmi input as PC and use 1080p 60hz signal. When I switch between labels PC and anything else on the PK750, the screen blanks briefly. The PK550 did not do this, so I do not know if the PK550 is lacking this terrible image processing, or does the PK550 HAVE the image processing and it simply can't be disabled using this workaround of labeling hdmi as PC.

So as it stands now, the PK750 and 950 are cursed. Can't watch 24p content without edge enhancement. AVForums said they were waiting on a response from LG about the image processing. If there's no response within a week or so I'm swapping this 750 back out for a 550.
FYI I don't think the built in movie playback is anything to miss.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

On my paprika bluray it is running at 24p according to the info button.

This is gonna piss me off if I can't get the 72hz to work...that was the main reason why I wanted this set.

that is 72hz bro, the info button is telling you what the source is, but the tv is tripling that refresh rate from 23.9something to 72hz. If it really was refreshing at 24hz it would be unbearable to watch.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

that is 72hz bro, the info button is telling you what the source is, but the tv is tripling that refresh rate from 23.9something to 72hz. If it really was refreshing at 24hz it would be unbearable to watch.

Ahhh...ok.

On LG's site, it does not mention it has 72hz but says it does 3:3 pulldown.

Here check it out.

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/LG-plasma-tv-50PK550.jsp
Old 04-06-2010, 01:20 AM

wish i could get a professionals isf calibration settings on the pk550. Just as an example to compare mine to.

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Old 04-06-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostfool View Post

I have the PK540 which is the "club" version of this of the PK550. All of the features and specs are identical. If you are a gamer then this tv is NOT for you. The phosphorous trails that come of the edges in games like FPS is unbearable. Playing games that have bright locals is very annoying. For instance in Subway from MW2 the scene is always "blinking". Going from bright to dim every step you take. This also happens in Afghanistan. Not only does this "blinking" happen but the phosphorous trails are really bad and it really hurts your eyes. Bioshock 2 is unplayable and so is Half Life 2. In Half Life 2 the "blinking" is really bad. When you go from dark to bright it looks like an over exposed picture, all detail is gone and it's just bright white before the brightness goes down to normal. So far this problem only affects FPS.

I'm really disappointed so far since everybody kept on telling me to go with plasma for gaming. I really regret selling my Samsung now. While Blu-ray and HD cable look better on the PK540 gaming is crap. So now I have this love hate relationship with this tv and I'm considering of returning it.

Thanks for this info. I was hesitating between plasma and LCD for my next gaming display. It's hard to find specs about input lag..
Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00nc0re View Post

Thanks for this info. I was hesitating between plasma and LCD for my next gaming display. It's hard to find specs about input lag..

Input lag really is a non issue. In fact you won't notice it. I was used to playing on my LCD and there is input lag but I did not notice it until I played on the Plasma. Input lag is basically non existent on the Pk550 or Pk540. I must say that that the issues I'm having seem to be improving. It seems like the tv must be "broken in" before gaming. The phosphorous trails seem to be reducing and the "blinking" is getting less and less noticeable. Either the tv is "breaking in" or I'm getting used to it and don't notice that much. I must say though that Blu-Ray movies look amazing on this tv.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:08 AM

Received the set Thursday. Not doing any formal break-in, just restricting viewing to 16x9 for the first 100 hrs. Comments so far:

1. No buzzing: With ear next to front glass no audible buzz - good!

2. Black levels: prob. too light for dark room viewing IMHO. In the dark the black bars glow too much and shadows/dark areas in the picture don't look quite right.

BUT after some fiddling I find the bias light trick DOES work for this TV in a light-controlled room. And works really really well! Bought a 24 strip fixture and a 20W flourescent bulb, 6500K (GE Daylight T8), mounted it between the back of the set and the wall (allowed a 4 gap for this). This allowed me to bump up the contrast (to 63/100) -- much higher than I could tolerate in a completely dark room -- and ... WOW! Incredibly clean, intensely bright whites, just unbelievable range. Perceived blacks are now nice and deep too.

Reminds me of my old bias-lit 1080i CRT. On CRT you just couldn't get a good picture in the dark - by the time the contrast was turned down enough so it didn't burn out your eyes, the picture looked weak and lousy (and besides, the black bars would glow in the dark). CRT really needed some oomph with the contrast dial to look right. This LG plasma seems to work in a similar way. Forget dark room viewing which forces you to choke back the contrast, I say put a little light in the room, let rip with the contrast and THEN you get good PQ!

NB: in my experience this doesn't work for all sets - on some TVs the black levels are so high and overall contrast so low that a bias light doesn't really help. My LCDs are like this & I notice people are saying the same thing about some of the 09 Panasonics post-rise. But the 50PK550 is very contrasty - much contrastier than I expected. The whites look really bright and brilliant. And it does go dark enough for the bias light to improve the perceived black level significantly.

3. 72Hz is simply awesome. Essential feature for Blu-ray movie fiends.

"... we wonÂt be stopping plasma production any time soon. We see it going on for another ten years." -- Kevin Lee, VP, Smart TV Partnerships (Samsung), 1/7/11
Old 04-06-2010, 04:08 AM

4. She runs a bit hot.

5. Input lag: I thought the set would be useless for gaming ... in fact some casual single-player games are playable & enjoyable. Using PS3 via HDMI, TV on Game Mode with colour set to Standard and all image processing options off (edge enhancer, dynamic contrast etc).:

Heavy Rain - slow-paced, no static images - no problem.

Wipeout works fine, just feels like the ship has slightly looser handling. Total blast to play, I'm getting close to some of my old time records despite the lag.

Arcade shooter types (Super Stardust, Crash Commando) are faintly weird as the lag is noticeable on movement and firing. Still playable though, I might get used to it though I kinda doubt it. Analog sticks mask some of the lag.

Jury is still out on Killzone, the game itself is so laggy it might be unplayable on this TV. The bots are slaughtering me. Hate to think what LittleBigPlanet would be like, that jump button was horribly laggy even on my old 1080i CRT.

For those who play them I would imagine that competitive multiplayer games (e.g. hardcore fighters using the buttons) wouldn't be workable on this TV.

6. Lots temporary IR, but this is the break-in period and should improve over time.

7. Phosphor trails: finally saw one on Sin City, a thin yellowish fringe on one side of Mickey Rourke's head as he quickly moved across the screen. Effect was very slight. Only time I've been able to detect phosphor trails so far.

8. Motion res: not perfect, can see some slight blur here and there. Motion isn't as fluid as my old 1080i CRT but way better than LCD. Acceptable overall; the occasional slight blur isn't horrendously obtrusive (unlike LCD).

9. Horizontal line bleed: my set has it a bit, though not as bad as in the photos by Dumon or DocuMaker's photos of Samsungs (in his horiz. bleed thread). No big deal, a slight effect in the menus, almost never see it during a movie.

"... we wonÂt be stopping plasma production any time soon. We see it going on for another ten years." -- Kevin Lee, VP, Smart TV Partnerships (Samsung), 1/7/11
Old 04-06-2010, 04:09 AM

10. ABL: I first noticed it testing the PS3 web browser. When you zoom a web page (text on white) the screen dims a bit as the image goes mostly white. However I would not exactly describe the white screen as grey or dirty white, to me it just looks dimmer rather than grayer. All the same I can imagine some people not liking it and expecting the white screen to be full-on blazing like hi-beams. I think it'd be too hard to watch. (BTW this TV stinks for web browsing, can see 60Hz flicker with white background.)

11. Dithering noise: Not a problem IMHO. Sitting 68 back from 50 screen - that's a bit closer than 3 picture heights - can't see the dithering noise. Any closer though and it does start to crop up.

12. (I need to check into this more) Using only 8-bit sources (CATV and BD) I think I'm not seeing as much colour banding as I used to on CRT and LCD (8-bit panel). Is this TV's panel 10-bit or higher and is it upsampling the chroma? I can't tell, it's just that the banding isn't jumping out at me as much. Processing is for > 8-bit colour (Wide colour gamut option in menu) but does the panel itself support it?

12. Amateur overall assessment: I'm floored but I won't gush too much b/c it might just be the novelty of plasma talking. Maybe people who've watched lots of Pioneer would be ho-hum on this set. Not me, I love this thing!

13. Conclusion: Insanely good entry-level plasma for a first-time plasma buyer like myself. Cheapest plasma on the market with the essential features for film buffs: 1080p, 24p support for Blu-ray, nice 50 size big enough to see every pixel at cozy distance. CMS! (See Chad B's professional review.) Due to drawbacks of input lag and imperfect motion res, better for movies than for heavy gaming / sports viewing. Recommend light-controlled room to manage reflections & glare (screen is shiny) and optimize PQ with bias light.

With better PQ than I expected, this TV will easily last me through CES 2012 when I'll start drooling over something really big (>60 will be cheaper), really dark (0 luminance in '12????) & with third-gen 3D (144Hz???).

Never going back to LCD!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 AM

Hey guys.... Thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I'm not having any of the issues discussed so far with my pk550...except one. Just some buzzing on the set when its on, at all times, which is audible from 6-8 ft where i sit. Seems like it come from the top left/right hand corners of the set. Lots of people i've talked to say this is normal for a plasma, but some of you say you hear no buzzing at all.... Would this warrant a return or should I be happy it doesn't have all the other problems and keep it?

p.s. The buzzing can't be heard with normal volume on movies/games. But I just know its there!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Seems gamers are having issues primarily when playing FPS's. I dont play FPS's. I like madden, adventure tomb raider type games, racing games. Will I have a gaming issue with this set?

XBL Gamertag: RagingPhinsFan
Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt73 View Post

I think it needs to be confirmed that the effect the reviewer saw is really an image processing issue like fixed sharpening & not something like the contrast being set too high by the reviewer. Too high contrast can also lead to a "ringing" or less detailed type effect.

Hi walt73 - I'm the reviewer who did the AVForums review. Good call, but it wasn't a case of misconfiguration - I tried absolutely everything to get around the ugly "Sharpening" problem but could only defeat it under certain conditions by labeling the input as "PC". I also made sure to set Contrast to the extent where there was no high-end thresholding.

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest

Tags
Lg 50pk550c 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 60pk950 by PriceGrabber.com