The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 5219 Old 04-30-2010, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheadache View Post

Returning my Sammy b850 because of buzzing!! Planning on getting PK550.

Will I see a big drop in PQ??
Is the glare bearable, does the room have to be super dark or regular curtins do the job even on a sunny day??
How bout BUZZ?? Big issue on these LG's??

Please help?? Its either this or I have to spend an extra 1000 on something else???? or Should I just wait till new models role through??
My brain is turning into mush doing so much research into getting a TV??

I've got some glare pictures up at page 31. Do you have a Sears in your area - they tend to stock this set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 5219 Old 04-30-2010, 04:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdielito View Post

I found what causes the buzzing noise on the pk550 are some coils are very close to the grill what I did to silence the noise is to tighten the screws on this board that has the coils and put the grill back and problem solved.

Good info. Where are the coils located? Got any pics?
post #1263 of 5219 Old 04-30-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
nice job! good to know whenever mine starts buzzing in the future
post #1264 of 5219 Old 04-30-2010, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magdielito View Post

I found what causes the buzzing noise on the pk550 are some coils are very close to the grill what I did to silence the noise is to tighten the screws on this board that has the coils and put the grill back and problem solved.

Great info, thanks for sharing.

magdielito, did you have a look at the video processor? It would be very interesting to know what model it is

If you can, please have also a look if there is some labels on the plasma panel, so we can investigate on it.
post #1265 of 5219 Old 04-30-2010, 05:34 PM

Does pk play video of a usb?? Finding conflicting specs?

BTW, i went to take another look at the pk and it was beside a panny and it looked better 8-)
post #1266 of 5219 Old 04-30-2010, 09:10 PM

So far the break-in is going well. Still a little concerened about the screen uniformity issue. This shows up on darker colors (especially blue) It reminds me of clouding on an LCD set. It may be getting a little better. I'll give it through the weekend. If it is still there on Monday, back it goes. No buzzing or stuck pixels though.

For the heck of it, I did a few calibration adjustments just to see how this set does. With a 100% IRE widow (and in expert mode), I measured 49 ftl with the contrast set @100. I toned it down to 30 ftl (giving a contrast setting of 66). Setting black level using 65% of measured white level with a 10% IRE window, brightness setting came out at 43. This may seem like a somewhat duller looking picture then what one is used to seeing in stores and pre-set picture modes. If you want more pop, turn the contrast up some. Gamma tracking measured 2.1 with these settings (with the Gamma set to high and black level set on low). The curve was not as even as I would like. After break-in, I will try differend gamma and black level settings in conjuntion with brightness and contrast to improve on the tracking.

Using the cinema mode, I measured the RGB and secondary colors. I was surprised how close to optimum they came out. All were a little oversaturated but equally so in all corners of the CIE triangle chart. No major shifts to one side or the other of the color spectrum. One can improve on this with the CMS system (in expert mode), but I don't think it will be a big difference. Likewise, grey scale was not to far off but needs a little more attention than the CMS does. I did not want to tackle the 20 point adjustment till I know I will keep this set and it is well broken in. That will be a time consuming affair.
post #1267 of 5219 Old 04-30-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn-Daft View Post

For those of us running Blu-Ray off PS3's..... If you don't like the soap opera effect that happens, go into your video settings and select "off" on the 24hz BD movie option. This will give you back the more theater like picture.

On a separate note, I notices today that when i have the volume down I can hear a buzzing coming from the upper right side on the back of the TV. Is this a fault on my model and would returning it for another possibly fix the problem? Any one else have this happen?

Thanks for this post. I've been looking all night on how to get rid of the "soap opera" effect when playing blu ray on my new 50PK550 and PS3. THIS DID THE TRICK. No more pan & scan look when the camera moves. Thanks Again!!!!!!!
post #1268 of 5219 Old 04-30-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

hmmm. 24hz option being on in the ps3 should look better. having it off is giving you 2:3 pulldown isn't it?
post #1269 of 5219 Old 04-30-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsl View Post

Just wondering if many of you out there have perfect (no buzz, or pixel issues) sets out there. I just got a pk550 and it has both.

had mine a week so far no buzzing at all no dead or dancing pizels so far it has had no problems of any kind
post #1270 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 01:07 AM

I tried tightening those screws on the board and it didn't help with the buzzing. If anything it seems a little louder now, which of course warms my heart.
post #1271 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 08:31 AM

Hello all,

I got my 50PK550 last week, picture is great, no visual flaws and no buzzing.
But one annoying thing to mention: there seems to be a delay in the sound when I connect my TV through the optical cable to my DD receiver.

Almost all shows have problems with lip synch then, even worse while gaming on the PS3 (if you hear the slab 0,5 seconds after you saw the punch ... ) and while watching MKVs through the USB connection.

There's only ONE optical input on the receiver, that's why I decided to connect all devices to the TV through HDMI first and then go to the receiver through the optical cable

is there any solution for it? I would have expected the VIDEO to lag behind, but not the AUDIO

thx in advance
Doogie
post #1272 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

i find that strange asa well. I noticed when testing input lag with rockband 2, the video had 64ms of lag, but the audio had 90 something. o_o!!

This was over component
post #1273 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumon View Post

Yes. I've noted that the banding thing may be just specific for my set.
Never thought that it could be the case with plasmas. So the tipping
points for me are black level and bandings.

It's black level should be better than the pansonic's, if you just compare a thousand hours old G20 against a 1000 hours old LG PK550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borcth View Post

I HATE FILM GRAIN!!! lol
Anyway, once i move out to my new place, the tv will be at a proper distance. This tv really shines at 10-12 feet away!

Film grain is very natural and it's appearance on a blu-ry-disc stands for excellent transfer quality!

Blu-ray gibes us the opportunity the first time in homecinemahistory, to see movies like they were meant to be! DNR ist just crap.

The right distance for 50 inch is two meters.
post #1274 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

i find that strange asa well. I noticed when testing input lag with rockband 2, the video had 64ms of lag, but the audio had 90 something. o_o!!

This was over component

Did you also connect the TV to a DD receiver, or do you experience the lag even with the internal speakers?

when using internal speakers, everything seems ok and in sync... problem is only that I want to experience the surround feeling ... and that comes with that small drawback, it seems
post #1275 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander Crews View Post

Then I wasn't able to get anywhere close to the suggested pattern on the color filters. I was able to get there using the CMS and pushing green and yellow to 30 or something, but that made the picture clearly wrong.

Forget the DVE colorpattern! You can't get near the right luminance of your colors with it.
post #1276 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie_at View Post

Did you also connect the TV to a DD receiver, or do you experience the lag even with the internal speakers?

when using internal speakers, everything seems ok and in sync... problem is only that I want to experience the surround feeling ... and that comes with that small drawback, it seems

tested using tv speakers. the audio lag was just with games, blurays sync fine for me.

running optical from my ps3 to headphone amp I don't notice a bad lipsync issue. I will check closer next time I am watching something. Hm, I will also test running optical from tv to headphone amp to see if I notice anything
post #1277 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 04:08 PM

Lip synch

read carefully this post, it is about the PJ models:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...6&postcount=90

the past years, the system to go into the service menu was the same for all the LGs, so I think the new system will work for all the 2010 models.
post #1278 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2u View Post

Has anyone bought the PK550 to replace a buzzy samsung? I had a 860 last year and that thing went back. So did anyone switch to LG and have success with the buzz? I ask, because I see a few people on here reporting the buzz sound.

I did exactly that! I had a pn42c450, and it was the biggest buzzer I've ever had, after three other plasmas. Even Samsung told me that the buzz was related to new manufacturing processes.

So I upgraded to the 50pk550, and WOW is all I can say. The set it quiet as can be, the only buzz I hear is with my ear actually behind the set.

The new TV is even wife approved, and mounted on the wall, hangs out just under 3 inches!

Goodbye Sammy, I won't miss ya!!!
post #1279 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 07:54 PM

I ordered the Spears & Munsil BD disc yesterday, should be here by the end of the week. Couldn't watch TV last night & all day today, it be a stormin' here. Just to give you an idea, I live in western Tennessee. We missed the brunt of it so far, but we still got 5 inches of rain and counting. Under a Tornado watch all night again. I'm not taking any chances with the new baby, and unplugged the plasma. sniff sniff
post #1280 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyoctave View Post

So far the break-in is going well. Still a little concerened about the screen uniformity issue. This shows up on darker colors (especially blue) It reminds me of clouding on an LCD set. It may be getting a little better. I'll give it through the weekend. If it is still there on Monday, back it goes. No buzzing or stuck pixels though.

I'm past the 100Hrs and have noticed that there is a faint uniformity issue, but I thought this may have been caused by the break-in process. Instead of using the slides (didn't have a USB drive), I used my XBOX360 and played a music CD with the Visualizer set at Full-Screen. As this is my first plasma, I don't know if that is normal during break-in or in general. I have one dead pixel which I can't see from 6ft away and no buzz, but if the uniformity is an issue, then I don't know if I should get it exchanged.
post #1281 of 5219 Old 05-01-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encrypted Neuron View Post

I'm past the 100Hrs and have noticed that there is a faint uniformity issue, but I thought this may have been caused by the break-in process. Instead of using the slides (didn't have a USB drive), I used my XBOX360 and played a music CD with the Visualizer set at Full-Screen. As this is my first plasma, I don't know if that is normal during break-in or in general. I have one dead pixel which I can't see from 6ft away and no buzz, but if the uniformity is an issue, then I don't know if I should get it exchanged.

I noticed a uniformity issue on mine as well, but only during the break in slides, when it's all the same color and more obvious.
post #1282 of 5219 Old 05-02-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

Lip synch

the past years, the system to go into the service menu was the same for all the LGs, so I think the new system will work for all the 2010 models.

that sounds great! But how can I open that service menu? Only programable remote that I have is a logitech harmony 785.
Any other way how to open the service menu?
post #1283 of 5219 Old 05-02-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivluca View Post

I just found your post and it's quite (un)funny: I just had the panel replaced on my 50ps8000 and the new one has exactly the same problem that the old one definitely didn't:

(that's playing this test video).

It also has another problem with black level and, again, it came with the new panel, the original one had no such problem.

LG service told me to wait one more month to see if the phosphors stabilize, I don't think it'll change anything but I'll wait anyway.
Maybe the new generation of panels is worse than the old one or it's just the typical lg panel roulette.

every single PDP I have ever owned does that
even my Kuro
post #1284 of 5219 Old 05-02-2010, 03:39 AM

Here in Holland the 50pk250 and 50pk350 are also available. I don't see them listed anywhere else, not on the UK LG site and not on the US site. I'm kinda wondering which one to get because our version of the 50pk550 is THX certified and apparently uses the same software as the 750/950 which have the undefeatable edge enhancing issue. I wonder if the pk250/350 software resembles the US-version software of the pk550 more closely. Can anyone chime in on this?
post #1285 of 5219 Old 05-02-2010, 03:44 AM

The 60PK550 is my first flat-screen TV and I love it! Had it for a couple of days and the picture is just stunning.

Question though: How come you can't play DTS via USB? AC3 and DD works just fine.

Anyway, I'm planning to get a media extender/htpc solution. Any tips? I wan't to be able to play 1080p (lag free ofc) for the least amount of money possible.

Cheers!
post #1286 of 5219 Old 05-02-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

Lip synch

Mauri, you are a GENIUS!
I googled around and found that my Harmony IR was exactly what I needed to go into the service menu. and there I was able to reduce the audio lag!
I set it to -10 (whatever that means) and now everything is in synch
thank you very much for your help!

@shaddix
If you own a programmable remote, give it a try, you will be surprised how low you can turn the audio lag. It's a whole new feeling watching and LISTENING to the movies now

greetings
Doogie
post #1287 of 5219 Old 05-02-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie_at View Post

Mauri, you are a GENIUS!
I googled around and found that my Harmony IR was exactly what I needed to go into the service menu. and there I was able to reduce the audio lag!
I set it to -10 (whatever that means) and now everything is in synch
thank you very much for your help!

greetings
Doogie

Happy you have solved your problem

The link in the post I have written before is important.. people should save it because the main problem is to know how to go into the service menu of these new models. I recommend to you all to don't change settings into the SM if you really don't know what you are doing. First thing to do is to arrange a pic with the default values of all settings, or make a note about them on paper. It is easy to change something without knowing you are doing it

Unfortunately I really know nothing about universal remotes .. I have found another thread on an italian forum where they said it is possible to use a cheap remote control from an italian brand (meliconi fully8), and use the code 255 to go into the main SM. Here is that thread: http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/showt...140317&page=11

Othervise, from what I have understood, it is possible to buy the original LG remote 105-201M.

Here is a U.K. shop:

https://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/ele...e-original.htm

and here a U.S. one:

http://www.lg.newremotecontrol.com/c...atnum=105-201M
post #1288 of 5219 Old 05-02-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsakeneyes View Post

Here in Holland the 50pk250 and 50pk350 are also available. I don't see them listed anywhere else, not on the UK LG site and not on the US site. I'm kinda wondering which one to get because our version of the 50pk550 is THX certified and apparently uses the same software as the 750/950 which have the undefeatable edge enhancing issue. I wonder if the pk250/350 software resembles the US-version software of the pk550 more closely. Can anyone chime in on this?

The PK250 and PK350 will be available also here in Italy. The PK350 should be ready on some stores now (here).

I'm reading some threads about these new LGs on some E.U. forums. I know on hifi-forum.de they say the PK550 has the undefeatable edge enhancing issue, but personally I'm not 100% sure about it, or about when really it is coming out. Yesterday an italian guy has bought a 60PK550 and posted some pics just out-of-the-box and using the THX Cinema profile. You can see them here:

http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/showp...&postcount=175

and here:

http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/showp...&postcount=179

they are from different sources (DVB-T, DVD, BD and MKV). I can't see on them that edge enhancing issue, and even the settings are not the best ones.

I actually don't know if that 60PK550 is a german or a french model (the italian version is not available now) but I'll investigate on it the next week.

I think the PK550 could be a best choice, it should have also the bluetooth which is useful if you need to use headphones. It has also 4 HDMI instead of 2. THX presets are not really important by my point of view, because you can use the standard Cinema preset or the ISFs.

I think the PK250 and the PK350 are using a different processor: the Saturn6 that was used on the 2009 models. It is reported on the block diagram in the last page of the italian user manual (available for download from the LG Austrian web site).

So, at the end, I suggest you to go in person to watch the PK550, and let us know if you have seen something wrong on it (edge enhancing issue)
post #1289 of 5219 Old 05-02-2010, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent information about the service menu. Thanks mauri for hooking everyone up with that. I have a couple different cheap remotes, I will have to see if I can program them with any codes that will work to open the SM. Otherwise, I've been needing to get a harmony for a while now hehe. I'm hoping I might be able to find a way to apply the processing done on the vga input to one of the hdmi, disable the color management system to decrease the lag. Then I can use bd player for movies and ps3 only for games
post #1290 of 5219 Old 05-02-2010, 06:47 AM

on my research, I came across various forums reporting that you have to use the code 0119 on your programmable remote. After that, the EPG button should open the service menu.

There is also a specific code for the Philips Pronto remote available, that emulates exactly the one button for the menu.
This code can then be converted on the harmony website and imported to your Logitech Harmony remote.

@shaddix
there are a whole lot of settings you could play around with, if you are brave enough
The processing option didn't jump to my eye at first sight, but I may have another look if you want me to...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50pk550c 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 60pk950 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page