The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 5219 Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rahzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
In the specs it says 3:3 pulldown, so does this set have a 72Hz refresh rate for 24p?
rahzel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 5219 Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
barrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

In the specs it says 3:3 pulldown, so does this set have a 72Hz refresh rate for 24p?


Yep 24x3=72
barrist is offline  
post #183 of 5219 Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobbyTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
and it works this time around...
in 2009 LG had problems with 24P 72

Chad said the LG PK550 24p 72hz mode is much better than Panasonic's 50G25 48hz 24P Flicker Mode when viewing Blu-ray movies.
RobbyTV is offline  
post #184 of 5219 Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rahzel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
48Hz is too low of a refresh rate which is what causes the flickering. Panasonic only has 'proper' 24p handling with their higher-end models. Nice to see LG include proper 72Hz 3:3 pulldown with their entry-mid level 1080p PDP's. LG continues to move up in my books.
rahzel is offline  
post #185 of 5219 Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Member
 
Wildgift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered mine, just before the price dropped. This looks like a real sleeper tv. It's what a local dealer wanted for a samsung 58" 560, but this has really received stellar press!
Wildgift is offline  
post #186 of 5219 Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Mauri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pioneer use 72 Hz too.
Mauri is offline  
post #187 of 5219 Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Senior Member
 
dumon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3:3 @72Hz works really nicely on this TV.
I've watched some Planet Earth and it was really smooth - no flicker, no judder.
dumon is offline  
post #188 of 5219 Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Yukon Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Yukon, Canada
Posts: 954
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by halokilla77 View Post

And I game a lot too, man oh man...

I wouldn't worry as much about the IR as input lag for gaming. IR is easily defeatable.

As far as phosphor trailing is concerned, it comes down to the particular user's sensitivity to it. I, for example, don't ever notice it on my S1, unless I go out of my way and look for it. Even then, it has to be in a high contrast area where dark abruptly meets light and I spin the screen around (in a game, that is) quickly.

Yukon Trooper is offline  
post #189 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shaddix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
9 hours remaining @_@.......
shaddix is offline  
post #190 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 AM
Senior Member
 
walt73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Panasonic only has 'proper' 24p handling with their higher-end models. Nice to see LG include proper 72Hz 3:3 pulldown with their entry-mid level 1080p PDP's. LG continues to move up in my books.

It's true, both Panasonic and Samsung effectively gimp their low-end sets to 60Hz only while LG is now offering 72Hz across the boards. I'm just delighted about this. Wanted to buy a plasma last year but waited (painfully) for this particular feature to appear and now it's finally here and I can actually afford it. Thank you LG.

Chad's review was so favourable I think I will go for the larger size and try to get a good few years' use out of it. Yesterday I looked at two of last year's LGs, a 50" and 60" PS. The 60 looks enormous, almost like it's a different kind of product, more of a small home theatre panel than a big TV. Now I've got to choose between 60PK550 and 750.

I think I'll rule out Samsung due to buzzing / quality issues and Panasonic due to cost. (Panny announced yesterday the Canadian msrps of their VTs; they are ridiculous, $3999 for a 58" rising and floating black TV, while the LG 60PK660 will go for around $2099 and that's two inches bigger.)

"... we wonÂt be stopping plasma production any time soon. We see it going on for another ten years." -- Kevin Lee, VP, Smart TV Partnerships (Samsung), 1/7/11
walt73 is offline  
post #191 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
barrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LG lookin' good. And i can get a 50PK950 for less than the price of a 50G20 (my initial choice)
barrist is offline  
post #192 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 04:11 AM
Member
 
kabouter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the review it is mentioned that a G25 would make for a better tv in a light room, and the pk550 for a more light controlled room.

Now I would classify my room as a light room, but the G25 here is quite a bit more expensive than the pk550 (800 vs 1300). If they were the same price I guess it would be a no brainer, but for the money wouldn't the pk550 be the best buy even in a light room?
kabouter is offline  
post #193 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
barrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabouter View Post

In the review it is mentioned that a G25 would make for a better tv in a light room, and the pk550 for a more light controlled room.

Now I would classify my room as a light room, but the G25 here is quite a bit more expensive than the pk550 (800 vs 1300). If they were the same price I guess it would be a no brainer, but for the money wouldn't the pk550 be the best buy even in a light room?

For the money absolutely.
Are you able to control the light in your room at all?
barrist is offline  
post #194 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Senior Member
 
jds22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jacksonville, IL
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been straddling the fence. Do I get the 60PK550 Plasma or the 55LH90 LCD? Both are great sets and I'm sure I would be thrilled with either.

I like the fact that there will be less glare on the LCD but I prefer the picture of the plasma. My light control isn't great during the day but at night it's no problem at all.

Now that the 60PK550 has dropped in price, quite a bit below the 55LH90, I'm leaning more towards the plasma.

Decisions, decisions.
jds22 is offline  
post #195 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shaddix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am very lucky in that the only windows in the room are on the same wall with the TV, and sunlight never shines directly on them. The walls are that 70's dark wood paneling so there will be very little reflection from things in the room. Only problem would be the overhead lights, I will probably pick up some lamps and put them on the side of the room with the TV.

ETA 7 hrs ._.;;;;;;
shaddix is offline  
post #196 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Member
 
kabouter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post

For the money absolutely.
Are you able to control the light in your room at all?

Well I got some curtains, but they will block far from all the light. Most of my viewing is done after 8pm, but during the summer that is (luckily) far from a guarantee that there will be no light coming in.

Guess I am just gonna order this one (upgrading to a 50" from a 40" lcd) since it is such a bargain, and I will feel less bad for when I am going to do another upgrade to a 60" next year which seems pretty inevetable .
kabouter is offline  
post #197 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 AM
Senior Member
 
walt73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabouter View Post

Well I got some curtains, but they will block far from all the light. Most of my viewing is done after 8pm, but during the summer that is (luckily) far from a guarantee that there will be no light coming in.

Guess I am just gonna order this one (upgrading to a 50" from a 40" lcd) since it is such a bargain, and I will feel less bad for when I am going to do another upgrade to a 60" next year which seems pretty inevetable .

At Bed Bath and Beyond (and some places like it) you can get heavy white curtains which are 100% opaque. I have 3 sets of these. They're very long (cut to size) and have a magnetic strip closure for the middle. Been using them for years, they work great. If you don't like the look of plain white curtains maybe they could be hidden behind your existing ones?

"... we wonÂt be stopping plasma production any time soon. We see it going on for another ten years." -- Kevin Lee, VP, Smart TV Partnerships (Samsung), 1/7/11
walt73 is offline  
post #198 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
barrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post

I've been straddling the fence. Do I get the 60PK550 Plasma or the 55LH90 LCD? Both are great sets and I'm sure I would be thrilled with either.

I like the fact that there will be less glare on the LCD but I prefer the picture of the plasma. My light control isn't great during the day but at night it's no problem at all.

Now that the 60PK550 has dropped in price, quite a bit below the 55LH90, I'm leaning more towards the plasma.

Decisions, decisions.

Yeah the LEDs (at least here in Canada) are still way overpriced imo. Plus that bezel on the lh90 is really really ugly.



I think the only tv that can sway me from LG is maybe the Samsung pn50c7000 if its at a good price point and reviews well.
barrist is offline  
post #199 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Member
 
bunglebungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I, too, was looking at the G25s and came across this set. Mostly we watch at night but occasionally I'll watch baseball in the afternoon when the room is brighter. I think as long as this set isn't worse as far as performance/reflections than an old CRT set, I'm okay. Is it likely better than a CRT in this regard?
bunglebungle is offline  
post #200 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shaddix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglebungle View Post

I, too, was looking at the G25s and came across this set. Mostly we watch at night but occasionally I'll watch baseball in the afternoon when the room is brighter. I think as long as this set isn't worse as far as performance/reflections than an old CRT set, I'm okay. Is it likely better than a CRT in this regard?

I will let you know in about 4-5 hours..... SEARS IS SLOW AS ****!!!!!!!
I have a very nice sony wega hdtv crt I can look at side by side for you about the reflections.
shaddix is offline  
post #201 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
barrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any owners can comment on the Picture Wizard? Wonder if it's decent enough for those not going for a full out pro calibration
barrist is offline  
post #202 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Member
 
jds22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jacksonville, IL
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post

Any owners can comment on the Picture Wizard? Wonder if it's decent enough for those not going for a full out pro calibration

I hope so. It seems like a really useful feature if it works well.
jds22 is offline  
post #203 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Member
 
Sousa86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
the picture wizard is no professional calibration tool by far, but is does give you the abilty to make basic adjustments using numerous fixed images. for instance the sharpness option will show two black lines, one horiz and one vert in the center across the screen like a +, allowing you to adjust the sharpness to your liking. another is for color saturation, it shows a basket of fruit/veggies (cant remember which lol) take for instance, a red pepper, you can adjust how red and bright it is or how dark you would like your colors to be. there are a few other like brightness, blues and greens, etc...

i owned a lh40 from 2009 and from the info i've gathered, the 2010 pic wiz will be similiar in this regard.

(hope that helps, even a little lol )

James Bond: I think I'll call it a Vesper.
Vesper Lynd: Because of the bitter aftertaste?
James Bond: No, because once you've tasted it, that's all you want to drink.

- CASINO ROYALE
Sousa86 is offline  
post #204 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
jds22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jacksonville, IL
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousa86 View Post

the picture wizard is no professional calibration tool by far, but is does give you the abilty to make basic adjustments using numerous fixed images. for instance the sharpness option will show two black lines, one horiz and one vert in the center across the screen like a +, allowing you to adjust the sharpness to your liking. another is for color saturation, it shows a basket of fruit/veggies (cant remember which lol) take for instance, a red pepper, you can adjust how red and bright it is or how dark you would like your colors to be. there are a few other like brightness, blues and greens, etc...

i owned a lh40 from 2009 and from the info i've gathered, the 2010 pic wiz will be similiar in this regard.

(hope that helps, even a little lol )

For me, that might be perfect.
jds22 is offline  
post #205 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Member
 
kabouter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt73 View Post

At Bed Bath and Beyond (and some places like it) you can get heavy white curtains which are 100% opaque. I have 3 sets of these. They're very long (cut to size) and have a magnetic strip closure for the middle. Been using them for years, they work great. If you don't like the look of plain white curtains maybe they could be hidden behind your existing ones?

Hmmm this sounds like a lot of work, but I guess if the reflections are too much to live with it is an option.

Oh and if anyone already has the set, I would love to see some more pictures of the set when it is on/the amount of glare. And what does the set look like, does it come across as cheap plastic? Cause this isn't something I can gather from the press photo's.
kabouter is offline  
post #206 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
jds22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jacksonville, IL
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabouter View Post

Hmmm this sounds like a lot of work

Hanging drapes?



jds22 is offline  
post #207 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Member
 
BigDisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody has any clue on how to open the Service Menu on the PK550?
BigDisk is offline  
post #208 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Encrypted Neuron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post

Hanging drapes?





If you don't like using drapes, you can try using the light-blocking blinds (they actually work quite good), though they will cost a little more than using the drapes.

So I finally decided to go with this set, Buuuttt I had to use some of the TV money to fix the car, so now I have to wait another week before ordering.
Encrypted Neuron is offline  
post #209 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Member
 
kabouter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post

Hanging drapes?




It's just that I am probably not going to stay in this appartment for a very long time, but it is a viable option ofcourse. Would these also make a room significant cooler during the summer? Cause that might just pull me over the line .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encrypted Neuron View Post

If you don't like using drapes, you can try using the light-blocking blinds (they actually work quite good), though they will cost a little more than using the drapes.

So I finally decided to go with this set, Buuuttt I had to use some of the TV money to fix the car, so now I have to wait another week before ordering.

Yeah I will probably go for the blinds in my next appartment, but for now that exceeds the money I want to spend on light control by quite a big margin.
kabouter is offline  
post #210 of 5219 Old 03-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Member
 
halokilla77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

I will let you know in about 4-5 hours..... SEARS IS SLOW AS ****!!!!!!!
I have a very nice sony wega hdtv crt I can look at side by side for you about the reflections.

looking forward to your thoughts on the TV shaddix, hope we see some pics. I can tell you are excited already.
halokilla77 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50pk550c 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off