The Official LG xxPK550 Owner's Discussion Thread [no price talk] - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2431 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I'm interested in buying the 60Pk550 model as the 750 has problems and it appears the 950 does as well and i don't want to wait any longer for firmware fixes. I've been interested in the 550 since Chad's review and now I'm pretty much sold on it after Shaddix had his calibrated by chad. I do however have one slight reservation, and you guys should know since you're all owners. My question is...do you guys think the build quality on the 550 is good enough, does everyone here have at least one dead pixel? I'm not that picky i just hate the idea of having to exchange 3 or 4 TV's like some of you guys did. Any comments about this will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbomber202020 View Post

Ditto on the pics.

I'm having Chad calibrate mine in about a month.

Hey fellow Clevelander!! Fairview Park here! Can't wait to see how your calibration goes. I am considering getting my Pk540 calibrated too.

@HughPL12 - My first PK540 had a speck of dust in the glass (which I first thought was a dead pixel) and also it developed a flashing green pixel. I got my panel replaced by LG and that one also had some problem pixels. I exchanged it at Sam's Club and have had the new set for almost a month now and I have at least 150+ hrs. on it and I still have no dead or flashing pixels and no dust specks either. It's perfect so far!
post #2433 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughPL12 View Post

Hi guys, I'm interested in buying the 60Pk550 model as the 750 has problems and it appears the 950 does as well and i don't want to wait any longer for firmware fixes. I've been interested in the 550 since Chad's review and now I'm pretty much sold on it after Shaddix had his calibrated by chad. I do however have one slight reservation, and you guys should know since you're all owners. My question is...do you guys think the build quality on the 550 is good enough, does everyone here have at least one dead pixel? I'm not that picky i just hate the idea of having to exchange 3 or 4 TV's like some of you guys did. Any comments about this will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No problems at all on my 350 (no 550 in the UK - that model is between the 350 and 590, same panel though). The only thing I could consider an issue would be buzzing but it's only really noticeable on a bright white screen and most plasma's I've seen do the same, not loud enough to bother me.
post #2434 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MaDJiK* View Post

But if this is dithering,
- why everybody don't see this?
- why some person (including myself) don't see that the first hours?
- why a guy here says after an exchange no more green dots? and another say on this thread the dots disappear after 100h?
- why 2 LG technicians have changed a card for this problem and them said to exchange the TV?
- why the dots are not visible on the 1st centimetre on the top and left? and why the bottom is a lot better than the top?

I also guess not, but so many people have this trouble that I start to think it's hardly possible to avoid it.

The top does look strange, bottom looks ok except maybe your brightness is turned too low? What are your TV settings in those pictures?

Here is what mine looks like on default settings with just the brightness and contrast set correctly:

I don't have a real camera that I could use to make comparison shots between two different settings. I have a sony xr500v that can also take photos. I will see if I can set enough manual controls to take some pictures.

But the thing is, if your display is not calibrated to standards then it won't look right on your screen. For example, my pre-calibration settings had my gamma too low. And then after calibration the gamma is correct, but if on your screen your gamma is too high, and then you look at my pictures where the gamma is too low, the uncalibrated photo will look better to you, and my post-calibrated photo will look like all the blacks are crushed.
post #2435 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have looked at 3 PK550's and 2PK750s, four of them in my home. All of them had at least one dead pixel, the worst of it had like 12 flashing/stuck pixels. The first PK750 I looked at had a cluster of dead pixels. The PK550 I have right now has one dead pixel, but I can't see it unless I really hunt for it.

And I did that on purpose as I made them sign the little warranty thing they kept pushing on me that if it has one dead pixel they'll replace it.

I gotta go pick up my niece right now though so I will be back later.
post #2436 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I bought a 50pk550 a few weeks ago and it does not have any dead/stuck pixels or any dust specks. There is also no buzzing issues.
post #2437 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post

The top does look strange, bottom looks ok except maybe your brightness is turned too low? What are your TV settings in those pictures?

Yes, the bottom is a lot better! In movies, I always notice the green dots on the top.

My settings are low because I always watch in the dark.
eco mode was at maximum,
brightness: 53,
contrast: 66,
H V sharpness: 35 30,
color: 46,
tint: G4,
black level: low,
white balance: medium.

Quote:

Here is what mine looks like on default settings with just the brightness and contrast set correctly:

It seems better. There are dancing pixels, but they are progressive and small, like on the bottom of my screen. It would be OK if all my screen were like that.
I don't know what to do... exchange again?

I have 1 dead red subpixel, and 1 green on my previous screen. This is acceptable, 12 is not!

*MaDJiK*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2438 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I have looked at 3 PK550's and 2PK750s, four of them in my home. All of them had at least one dead pixel, the worst of it had like 12 flashing/stuck pixels. The first PK750 I looked at had a cluster of dead pixels. The PK550 I have right now has one dead pixel, but I can't see it unless I really hunt for it.

And I did that on purpose as I made them sign the little warranty thing they kept pushing on me that if it has one dead pixel they'll replace it.

I gotta go pick up my niece right now though so I will be back later.

Yeah one dead pixel is no big deal. I've got an old vizio vp322 and as far as i know its panel was built by LG; I went looking for dead pixels on it yesterday and i couldn't find one, and its held up quite well for such a cheap tv. I may simply buy one from a store instead of online just so i can inspect the tv before hand. Also, Shaddix it would be really cool if you could post another video on youtube of your tv post calibration...I know i would appreciate it a whole lot. thanks
post #2439 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 PM

I've had my pk550 for just over a month, no buzz and one dead pixel. I have to set the screen on whitewash put my glasses on and stand about 6" from the screen to see it. This TV is great bang for the buck and I couldn't be happier.
post #2440 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, the bottom is a lot better! In movies, I always notice the green dots on the top.

eco mode was at maximum,

It seems better. There are dancing pixels, but they are progressive and small, like on the bottom of my screen. It would be OK if all my screen were like that.

For the dead pixel test program, black level needs to be set on high, as dead pixel tester uses 0-255 video levels. My settings in my photo are brightness: 53, contrast: 80, H V Sharpness: 48/50, color: 50, tint: 0, black level: high, white balance: warm, gamma: medium. CMS and grayscale are default, all zeroes.
post #2441 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, Shaddix it would be really cool if you could post another video on youtube of your tv post calibration...I know i would appreciate it a whole lot. thanks

I will try, is your monitor's grayscale, gamma, and color all calibrated to sRGB?
post #2442 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 01:43 PM

Liked: 21
mine is being delivered Monday, i got a hell of a price for a 50" plasma IMO, trying to work on a college budget here

going to be replacing a 42S1 in this setup, also built a htpc since this picture, kinda running out of room to put everything

I just hope everything turns out fine when i open it up, hoping for a good screen not one with 48 dead pixels or a glass that lost a fight with gravity
post #2443 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 02:32 PM

Just bought an LG 50PK550 - great picture although I do have buzzing (not too distracting though).
post #2444 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:

eco mode was at maximum,

I have 1 dead red subpixel, and 1 green on my previous screen. This is acceptable, 12 is not!

On all plasmas I've seen when it comes to the area in color near black there will be what you call dancing pixels. I've never called this an error since I thought it was a part of the technology.

Your top look kinda strange since the bottom is ok. Both would look strange if it was because of calibration I guess.. or?

Btw, why eco mode on maximum. Try disabling this and all other enhancements then run the builtin calibration. I think I've seen things like this when you run toooo low on contrast and brightness. (eco mode lower your brightness too).

Do the problem still exist after this?
post #2445 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade View Post

On all plasmas I've seen when it comes to the area in color near black there will be what you call dancing pixels. I've never called this an error since I thought it was a part of the technology.

Your top look kinda strange since the bottom is ok. Both would look strange if it was because of calibration I guess.. or?

Btw, why eco mode on maximum. Try disabling this and all other enhancements then run the builtin calibration. I think I've seen things like this when you run toooo low on contrast and brightness. (eco mode lower your brightness too).

Do the problem still exist after this?

In addition to this, also make sure your PC is set to 24-bit color on the display settings.
post #2446 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgz1 View Post

Hey fellow Clevelander!! Fairview Park here! Can't wait to see how your calibration goes. I am considering getting my Pk540 calibrated too.

@HughPL12 - My first PK540 had a speck of dust in the glass (which I first thought was a dead pixel) and also it developed a flashing green pixel. I got my panel replaced by LG and that one also had some problem pixels. I exchanged it at Sam's Club and have had the new set for almost a month now and I have at least 150+ hrs. on it and I still have no dead or flashing pixels and no dust specks either. It's perfect so far!

I'll definitely let you know. I thought about getting the 540 as well.
post #2447 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:

No problems here.
post #2448 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flakbait View Post

Just bought an LG 50PK550 - great picture although I do have buzzing (not too distracting though).

Try tightening the screws on the back of the tv a little. I noticed a bit of a buzz on mine shortly after I got it the other week. Somebody else mentioned this idea on here earlier and it's a quick and easy way to potentially solve the problem.
post #2449 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultiman View Post

Try tightening the screws on the back of the tv a little. I noticed a bit of a buzz on mine shortly after I got it the other week. Somebody else mentioned this idea on here earlier and it's a quick and easy way to potentially solve the problem.

I smacked mine to get rid of a very slight buzz lol.
post #2450 of 5218 Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:

I smacked mine to get rid of a very slight buzz lol.

We are still talking about your TV correct?.....
post #2451 of 5218 Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:

black level: high

This reduce the dancing pixels, but the brightness is too high to watch in the night.
During the day, the green dots are not disturbing. The image needs to be darker than the dots to see them.

Quote:

Btw, why eco mode on maximum.

Because I watch movies in the dark. Eco mode off maximises the green pixels with the others!

As I said, green pixels are ALWAYS here, in all settings. They just move along the grey scale depending on brightness. The only way to not see them is to put brightness to 85 (or ~75 and black level on high), so there are no more dark, so no green pixels.

Quote:

In addition to this, also make sure your PC is set to 24-bit color on the display settings.

24 bits does not exist. 16 or 32 only!

*MaDJiK*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2452 of 5218 Old 06-23-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

32bit setting is fine. If its too bright in the dark then lower the contrast setting, brightness shouldn't be going over about 55. Try turning the green brightness and contrast down on the 2 point grayscale adjustment
post #2453 of 5218 Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM

No, but nothing to say with settings. I also try on 20 points, but there is always a problem, especially on the top.

*MaDJiK*

post #2454 of 5218 Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I will try the settings you posted above with dead pixel tester and take a photo. But after the World Cup game is finished

go USA!!!!!
post #2455 of 5218 Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:

I will try the settings you posted above with dead pixel tester and take a photo. But after the World Cup game is finished

go USA!!!!!

Go England!!
post #2456 of 5218 Old 06-23-2010, 08:52 AM

USA win!!!!! ...Hey what's with the Panny display in an LG thread? That's gotta be a yellow card offense!
post #2457 of 5218 Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctg183 View Post

USA win!!!!! ...Hey what's with the Panny display in an LG thread?

THAT WAS FREAKING INSANE
post #2458 of 5218 Old 06-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:

This reduce the dancing pixels, but the brightness is too high to watch in the night.
During the day, the green dots are not disturbing. The image needs to be darker than the dots to see them.

Because I watch movies in the dark. Eco mode off maximises the green pixels with the others!

As I said, green pixels are ALWAYS here, in all settings. They just move along the grey scale depending on brightness. The only way to not see them is to put brightness to 85 (or ~75 and black level on high), so there are no more dark, so no green pixels.

24 bits does not exist. 16 or 32 only!

You need to calibrate your set, with eco mode OFF. Just try to set blacklevel on low, gamma med/low, brightness around 47, contrast around 80. If you think the contrast is too high, then lower it but start around 80 and stop a bit above the point where you start to see dots where they don't belong. (i.e in pure black)

Do you still see the green dots in pure black? If so do as shaddix said and lower the green color a bit.

What source and input do you use?

-------

Strange thing though, I can increase my contrast to 100 without WTW and white merge (using DVE HDbasics bluray testpatterns), white is very bright at 100 and I do not have any distortion as pink colored white. Too bright for me so I have it around 80. Anyone else noticed this while trying to calibrate?
post #2459 of 5218 Old 06-23-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:

You need to calibrate your set, with eco mode OFF. Just try to set blacklevel on low, gamma med/low, brightness around 47, contrast around 80.

No! As I said twice, green pixels are ALWAYS here, in all settings. Even in all predefined settings.
Except if I increase brightness over 85, because there is no more black.

Quote:

Do you still see the green dots in pure black?

No, the dots are just before black, so they move with brightness. They are over the normal dithering (which is nearly correct on the bottom of the screen, 3d photo). And there are never green dots on the 1st centimetre on top of the screen, that's why I think this is not the normal dithering.

I see dancing pixels (normal dithering) on the 3d photo, but very close. At normal distance, this is perfect. The top of the image is more problematic! That's why I really think this is a defect.

*MaDJiK*

post #2460 of 5218 Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Have the same problem on my 50PK550R (Indian model). LG service person said it is a problem with the display. I will get a replacement in couple of days.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50pk550c 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg Infinia 60pk950 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 60pk950 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page