LG PK550 white line issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2010, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, i just picked up the LGPK550 50" plasma. Pretty slick set, except this:

Im aware of the break in. So i started to watch random movies and things. I put in a screensaver HD disc with like underwarter scenes and then all of the sudden, i turn to the tv and notice this faint white line on the bottom of the screen. It goes along the entire bottem, about 3-4" from the bottm. You can only see it when the picture goes over white/bright things. When it hits black, you cant see it anymore.

So, what do i do? This is depressing, as i was ready to jump the plasma bandwagon, looks like ill be going back to lcd/led now.
Ive tried unhooking things, resetting the settings, etc. It's there on all inputs. Xbox 360 and ps3. Any ideas? If it's there tommarow morning after the set has been off for several hours, i'm return it and not gonna risk another plasma. Ill just get an led. Plasmas seem to be notorious for all sorts of garbage, burn ins, buzzing, and now this white line only 30 mins after setting up. Weakcause! Ive had 3 LCD's in the past 5 years and ive never had one issue with them.

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2010, 06:16 AM

Your set is defective so return it for one that is working properly. You can't really be ignorant enough to claim to have found "another plasma problem".

Try to have a little common sense, okay?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy1104 View Post

Your set is defective so return it for one that is working properly. You can't really be ignorant enough to claim to have found "another plasma problem".

Try to have a little common sense, okay?

Well, to put it into perspective. I've had 3 LCD's, never had an issue with those. My first plasma, only 30 mins into it, it's a pos already. So yea...maybe i dont have experience with plasmas, but enough with electronics and tv's in general, to know lameness when i see it.

My only concern now, is wether i get the same set, or try another. I was thinking a sammy. But i've heard sammys are infamous for buzzing.

We'll see.

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Out of curiosity, if you were having such success with LCD's, what motivated you to try plasma? And what other brands of LCD's have you had? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

Out of curiosity, if you were having such success with LCD's, what motivated you to try plasma? And what other brands of LCD's have you had? Thanks.

I had good luck with lcd's as far as not breaking down. But the quality was not on par and ive realized this recently. My roomate got a 58 sammy plasma. I think 550. Anyway, the picture quality, blacks and motion were incredible compared to my toshiba lcd. I took the same movie we watched, star trek first contact blu ray and watched it on mine. Didnt even look or feel the same. That's when i realized, i wanted a plasma. So i started to do alot of research. Months of it. I always do before i buy something of this magnatude. Plus, my lcd had a "slight" issue artifacting. But seemed to be only with cable feeds showing HD footage of fast moving action. But that' was enough also to annoy me. Plus, my lcd had uneven lighting and murky blacks.

As far as brands, 2 westinghouses and toshiba regza. The toshiba is good, but it has its flaws and a bad flashlight effect. The westinghouse, the 2nd one i had, my bro uses and likes that more then my toshiba. I wont go into why. Anyway.

I really was happy with this LG set, till the line appeared. You know that groin kick feeling, when you get super happy, only to get shot down soon after. Yea, that feeling.

Any suggestions? Should i return it for the same set, or try a different brand, or even LED? LED is still lcd, so it has the motion "flaws" and is ungodly expensive, so i'm avoiding that. I was thinking about the sammy C550 possibly or a panny like the G10 as a plasma alternative.

Bottom line, is i just want a good working unit. I'm big into watching movies, and i get depressed if things like this happen.

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 AM

Take a step back, relax, try again.

You got a defective unit, not the end of the plasma world I assure you.

I understand your disappointment, I've been there with new toys and it sucks. If I were in your shoes, I'd just get another one. The chances of 2 of them having the same problem is pretty remote.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds22 View Post

Take a step back, relax, try again.

You got a defective unit, not the end of the plasma world I assure you.

I understand your disappointment, I've been there with new toys and it sucks. If I were in your shoes, I'd just get another one. The chances of 2 of them having the same problem is pretty remote.

Okay, because i do like the unit as a while. So when I saw the line, I was like...NOOOO!!!

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borcth View Post

Okay, because i do like the unit as a while. So when I saw the line, I was like...NOOOO!!!

Yeah that would suck.

Mojo sent.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 AM

I feel your pain too. I recently bought a new TV, my last one was almost 9 years ago, and for me the new set was a major purchase. I'm the typical out of work, over qualified for the area, bad economy, yada yada yada, ...anywhoo I bought the Samsung UN32C5000, which was a beautiful set until I turned it on, and found all kinds of bleed though and large clouding patches. Yeah my heart sunk too and I did return it. It really sucks walking into the room still seeing an empty new console stand. I have decided to go plasma for my first time, which was one of the reasons for joining this site. I'm at a toss between the LG 50PK550 or the Panasonic TC-P42G25 since they are close in price. Hope you don't give up yet on plasma as I still find that they have a more natural look to them, I'll give ya an Irish toast for better luck.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encrypted Neuron View Post

I feel your pain too. I recently bought a new TV, my last one was almost 9 years ago, and for me the new set was a major purchase. I'm the typical out of work, over qualified for the area, bad economy, yada yada yada, ...anywhoo I bought the Samsung UN32C5000, which was a beautiful set until I turned it on, and found all kinds of bleed though and large clouding patches. Yeah my heart sunk too and I did return it. It really sucks walking into the room still seeing an empty new console stand. I have decided to go plasma for my first time, which was one of the reasons for joining this site. I'm at a toss between the LG 50PK550 or the Panasonic TC-P42G25 since they are close in price. Hope you don't give up yet on plasma as I still find that they have a more natural look to them, I'll give ya an Irish toast for better luck.

how much is that g25?

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM

They are both are around the 1K range. Just look through Amazon or Price Grabber for prices. I posted before that Abt has a deal for a free BD550 BD player with purchase of the PK550. Haven't found anyone nearby that carries either, living in B.F.E. Tennessee doesn't help. You can usually find half of the town in the local Walmart...hehe. There is only one other specialty place nearby, but they only had one of the PJ350 series. The colors had no Pop to them, but then the set is 720p and the girl there didn't know if it was calibrated at all or just straight from the box.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by borcth View Post

i turn to the tv and notice this faint white line on the bottom of the screen. It goes along the entire bottem, about 3-4" from the bottm. You can only see it when the picture goes over white/bright things. When it hits black, you cant see it anymore

The white line you have seen was something like this one? :

Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

The white line you have seen was something like this one? :

Yea, that's the exact placement of the line. So what is it?!

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Old 03-19-2010, 12:50 AM

I got that image from an LG Service (plasma) doc found last year on the Web. It was done to help Service centers to quick detect the problems.

In case of an horizontal line in that place of the screen (full lenght from left to right), it says the first thing to check is Y-board and X-drive Board Connector. Remedy: unplug and plug in again that connector. Otherwise, replace the Y-drive Board.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM

What is happended to the image I posted yesterday? I can't see it now
Old 03-19-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

I got that image from an LG Service (plasma) doc found last year on the Web. It was done to help Service centers to quick detect the problems.

In case of an horizontal line in that place of the screen (full lenght from left to right), it says the first thing to check is Y-board and X-drive Board Connector. Remedy: unplug and plug in again that connector. Otherwise, replace the Y-drive Board.

I'm sorry, excuse my ignorance, but yboard and x drive board? Could you please break down this to me or show me what these look like? Or is this a connector that's on the outside, that's obviously displayed?

I hope your not saying I have to take apart the tv. That's a bit much imo. I'd rather just return it, like I did.

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360
Old 03-19-2010, 10:05 PM

Those are secondary electronic boards inside (on the back) of all plasma HDTVs. They are connected to the main board by using a Connector. Sometimes it is possible that the connector got a bad contact, maybe because of factory assembly or a cold welding or cause long shippings, and they say to just try to unplug that connector and plug in again. Otherwise it could be an electronic component (IC) death on one of those secondary boards. That could happen on all electronics (pc, hifi and so on) during the firts hours of use. In general, if they works good during the first 50 hours or so, then they usually work good for many years. I hope you have understood my not so good explanation, cause my bad english .

Of course that is a thing that must be never fixed by you, even if it takes only 15 minutes of work and you know how to do it, because there are always some risks to damage the HDTV and/or yourself (inside plasma circuits there could be also high voltages, as well as inside the CRTs). I have just gave you the answer to your question . You have done the right thing, mate.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

okay, thanks

50" LG PK550
Denon AVR-1610
BIC/Pioneer Speakers
PS3
Xbox360