Panasonic 2010 plasma: Floating blacks - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The LED trick is working so far on my G20. Being in my basement my tv would never be in a bright environment. Overhead lighting did not stop it only made it less noticeable.

I'm going to stick with the led on mine for a while but only for movies as that when it really annoys me. Stupidest feature ever added to a tv. If only the CAT sensor could really be switched off in the menu this would be a fine set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 04:27 AM

Liked: 10
Coming tuesday eCare (Dutch Pana Tech Support) is going to exchange my 46G20 for a 2011 46GT30 model.

After complaining for about a year at the retailer and contacting the international consumer authority (as I purchased the tv in Belgium and live in The Netherlands) there's finally something happening!
Back in april eCare replaced the main board first which resulted in much quicker floating black shifting but they were still there. Two months later they contacted me about a software update which would fix the floating blacks issus and they planned a day for installation. On that very day they cancelled the appointment because the software wouldn't work and they'd call back to make a new appointment when new software was going to be released. A few weeks ago they called to ask if I still had the invoice as they were about to replace my tv!!!! :-D

So I geuss being persisitent has finally paid off.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, but does the GT30 have floating blacks?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Ah, but does the GT30 have floating blacks?

No! It has FB! Fluctuating brightness!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

lol, can Panasonic get something right for once?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 PM

Just a sad update here... I did the LED trick a long time ago, and I am sorry to report that is is slowly starting to fail. About a month ago I noticed the floating blacks start to return, so I adjusted the LED and it made no difference. So, in my case, the floating blacks are less affected by the light than they used to be. They are still better with the light, but I think I will get to a point where the LED will make no difference.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 AM

i have a panasonic 42GT25 build date of september 2010. we bought it new for a screamin' deal of $549 around july of 2011. still has VERY low hours on it (there's really nothing on TV. LOL!)

for the first time, i noticed floating blacks while watching red riding hood on blueray. sort of annoying, but 1080p looks fricken AWESOME so i didn't mind it too much.

i can't remember where i got the custom calibration settings (thought it was from plasma buying guide but my settings are a little different. but wherever i got them, they ROCK! heck of a lot better than the out of the box settings, including THX mode.

anyway i set the black level to dark, turned off AGC, CATS is always off and set the gamma from 2.2 to 2.0 - seemed to help alot.

i have most dead formats, including laserdisc, what i find interesting is there are NO floating blacks on LD, VHS, OTA TV, or our laptop via hdmi. in fact on our cheapie sony BDP-BX58 bluray player - DVDs also have NO floating blacks. ONLY blueray...

so, is this perhaps a problem with blueray itself and not the TV?

what is the "USB LED light" fix?

lastly, is there a firmware upgrade for the TV that addresses the floating black issue?

thanks,
Robby
Old 06-09-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwtech View Post

Just a sad update here... I did the LED trick a long time ago, and I am sorry to report that is is slowly starting to fail. About a month ago I noticed the floating blacks start to return, so I adjusted the LED and it made no difference. So, in my case, the floating blacks are less affected by the light than they used to be. They are still better with the light, but I think I will get to a point where the LED will make no difference.
Almost the same experience thus far. The floating blacks are now visible through my HDMI connection using my computer and HD satellite box. My flashing horizontal black/gray bars are a bit worse too. Easily seen when you change to an empty input in the dark, with or without an led.
I wonder how long it will take the proud owners of the 2012 models to start complaining about floating blacks too. Maybe around November? About the time when the 2010 owners started seeing it?

EDIT: Apparently the 2012 models are afflicted with other issues due to Panasonic changing how they create black. (so i gather from reading a handful of posts)
I think I'll skip this model year too. The hunt for a consistent display is still on. mad.gif
Old 06-10-2012, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well, I very very rarely notice any Fbrs. I was tempted to get the engineer fix, and even phoned up Panasonic to do this. However, I never followed through as I heard some negative reported on the outcome so I decided to live with what I have. Typically I won't even notice one Fbr a week... So I'm happy to live with that.

Sorry some of the rest of you are faring to well!