Kuro KRP-500M, won't power on after power outage! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bear with me here... just trying to gather info...

Purchased one of the last available KRP-500M Kuro displays from Cleveland Plasma on November 15, 2009. Ran the plasma break-in procedure, set has worked flawlessly. The set has always been plugged in via an APC Line-R 1200VA, which is basically a surge suppressor & line noise filter as well as a voltage regulator to help protect against brownouts.

Yesterday, we had a power outage at about 5:00 pm. It came back on at about 2:00 am.

Since it came back on, nothing connected to the APC Line-R powered up. I took the APC Line-R off and plugged everything in directly to the wall. Everything now powers up (seems to indicate damage or malfunction to the APC Line-R) EXCEPT for the Kuro KRP-500M. I can't get it to power on now at all.

I will be contacting the closest Pioneer authorized service center first thing when they open.

But, I'm unsure about a lot of things...

The Kuro isn't made any more, so is the set still serviceable?

Do I mention the power outage and the APC Line-R, or just say the set won't power up any more? I didn't think I would void my friggin warranty by connecting my set to an APC Line-R!

Doesn't APC guarantee their protectors? If for example they tell me that the warranty doesn't apply because of this, how to I get APC to cover the repairs?

Just hoping I might hear from anyone who might be familiar with any or all of the above equipment and can offer any advice. I use the APC Line-R 1200VA on other equipment and at this point I am second guessing it. I'm also hoping there might be something I'm missing with the KRP-500M that might be a simple fix, but I'm not counting on it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the little red light on...if not a good indication of no power getting to the unit.

You could try cycling the power switch on left side, also right side as well.

If no power to the unit, could be an internal fuse on the power supply board. This would be an easy fix except the work of opening it up.

Most techs could handle a simple fuse replacement, would not need an authorized repair center, or you could do if comfortable.

Also, check that the power cord connection did not work loose...sometimes this happens.

Is it more fun to use the equipment or talk about it on AVS?
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendell View Post

Bear with me here... just trying to gather info...

Purchased one of the last available KRP-500M Kuro displays from Cleveland Plasma on November 15, 2009. Ran the plasma break-in procedure, set has worked flawlessly. The set has always been plugged in via an APC Line-R 1200VA, which is basically a surge suppressor & line noise filter as well as a voltage regulator to help protect against brownouts.

Yesterday, we had a power outage at about 5:00 pm. It came back on at about 2:00 am.

Since it came back on, nothing connected to the APC Line-R powered up. I took the APC Line-R off and plugged everything in directly to the wall. Everything now powers up (seems to indicate damage or malfunction to the APC Line-R) EXCEPT for the Kuro KRP-500M. I can't get it to power on now at all.

I will be contacting the closest Pioneer authorized service center first thing when they open.

But, I'm unsure about a lot of things...

The Kuro isn't made any more, so is the set still serviceable?

Do I mention the power outage and the APC Line-R, or just say the set won't power up any more? I didn't think I would void my friggin warranty by connecting my set to an APC Line-R!

Doesn't APC guarantee their protectors? If for example they tell me that the warranty doesn't apply because of this, how to I get APC to cover the repairs?

Just hoping I might hear from anyone who might be familiar with any or all of the above equipment and can offer any advice. I use the APC Line-R 1200VA on other equipment and at this point I am second guessing it. I'm also hoping there might be something I'm missing with the KRP-500M that might be a simple fix, but I'm not counting on it...

I have a Pro-101FD plugged into the same voltage regulator. I live in an area that has the odd split-second power outage. Literally lasts one second. The voltage regulator turns off but doesn't turn back on. I have to use the reset button. So far no issues with the monitor or other equipment.
I'll be watching this thread with interest! Good luck to the original poster.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Discovered the problem. Because I was freaking out during my troubleshooting, I had unplugged the Line-R then plugged everything directly to the wall. But in my panic, I left the TV plugged in to the Line-R, which I had unplugged.

THE SET WASN'T PLUGGED IN. IDIOT ALERT!!!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 06:58 AM

Reminds me of the old Cheech and Chong routine.

Chong: Hey man, what's on TV?

Cheech: I don't know, man it's broken.

Chong: Here, lemme look at it.

Click--TV noise.

Cheech: Far out, man. What did you do?

Chong: Turned it on, man.

Glad it was nothing. What a relief, eh?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This happened once on my Mits 52144 and I freaked out. I'm figuring, "Oh great, a f'ing dead TV now?" Then I remembered something I read here once, I held the power button on the remote down for about 60 seconds and viola, the set fired right back up. I went from a pucker factor of 10 back to normal! LOL
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page