Samsung PN50B860 - vertical blue bar (top to bottom) on left side of screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-28-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My PN50B860 is about 45 days old. It is "picture perfect" without any buzzing issue. However, a vertical blue bar started appearing and disappearing. Over this weekend this blue bar has stayed on consistently (except for about three hours last night). Today I also noticed that the tv turned itself off and on after i had muted it three minutes earlier.

Yesterday morning I placed a call to Samsung. They set up a call number for someone from the Home Service Network to call me to set up an appointment and check the blue bar problem. The person who spoke to me did not have any opinion about the problem.

My questions right now : a) is any one on this forum familiar with this particular issue that could explain what might be happening and how this could be resolved?; b) since I have a money back guarantee within the first 60 days and 45 days have elapesed, should I not waste any time and request an immediate return of the unit?; c) if returning the unit is the best option, what replacement model should i consider given that the PN50B860 has been discontinued and is no longer available from my supplier? In this specific case, I would prefer not to have to spend additional money to obtain at least same product value as I had originally expected from the Samsung.

I would appreciate any input.

LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
With kudos to the guy who beat me to this first last time, what you need is a plastic whiffle bat! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKJcBx9cXKo

I would probably return the TV for another, you don't want a brand new set with this sort of thing plaguing you! The 860 set is a fine one, you just got a dog.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking that my best course of action given the reported problem is to return the 860 and get another plasma. But my question at this point is which, given that the manufacturers are in transition to the 2010 models and the latter are not immediately available? Suggestions? Panasonic, Samsung, Sony?
post #4 of 4 Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 PM

I picked up the following in late January:

PN50B860
PN58B860
PN63B590

I got good pricing on them.

The 50" has excessive buzzing. It's in my bedroom and I watch it at night. The buzzing is distracting. I had it serviced once already. They put some felt strips around the edges saying that this will reduce the vibratrions that cause the buzz. I think it made it louder. I registered all 3 TVs on the Samsung website. However, when I went to use their web-based service request form, the site told me that my serial numbers were not valid. They are. And so, instead, I have to talk to a human. During THEIR hours.

The 58" has two problems. The first was a problem with the USB port. It didnt' work. A tech came out and replaced the motherboard. The USB port works now. (I love looking at photos of the kids in slide show format on the screen). HOWEVER, I watched the NCAAs and the players "stutter" or "skip" or something jittery when they move. It's not really fast movement. The result is that the games are unwatchable on that screen. I watched the same games on my 50" and my 63" and do not have the same problem. I'm wondering if something happened when they replaced the motherboard as I did not notice this issue prior. Does anyone know whether there's a setting or something that I may be missing?

I have had no problems with the 63". Note, however, that the 63" is not the thin screen that the 860s are.

The sound on the sets themselves is awful. the 58 & 63 are run through Denon amps into a Home Theatre system. I don't use the internal speakers.

The 50" relies on a Sammy soundbar that I hung below the set. The set is on an articulating arm so it was the best solution to keep the sound emanating from the direction of the TV.

On the positive....

Other than the jitter issue, the picture quality is outstanding. It's really something to look at. Even when off, they look nice. And picture quality is really important.

Samsung's customer service has been below the level that I expected for the price.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page