KuroControl program for Pioneer KRP500m/600m and Elites - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 341 Old 04-29-2014, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Sorry to bump this aged thread, but I have a relatively simple inquiry for those who've used this software:

Is it possible to use KC to preform a complete ISF calibration on a NA 500M (one that is already patched)? I've investigated CC but would prefer to complete the process via ethernet if possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 341 Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes.
Synnove likes this.
post #333 of 341 Old 04-29-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Yes.

Excellent. Thank you for the answer. I guess I just need to be mindful that the numbers (ranges) to be entered in are different than what CC uses for some fields?

post #334 of 341 Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synnove View Post

the numbers (ranges) to be entered in are different than what CC uses for some fields?
It's been long enough since I used ControlCal that I don't recall if uses scaled or native values. KuroControl uses native values. Of course if you're calibrating it doesn't matter since you'll (presumably) be operating in a single frame of reference.
Actually I don't use either program. Once you start talking to the display you're just moving virtual sliders within some range as directed by your meter so I use a simple script that has ergonomics I like.
Synnove likes this.
post #335 of 341 Old 04-29-2014, 08:28 PM

If I recall my reading of this thread properly, the entries for KC and CC differ when it comes to gamma adjustment (for example). 

This is a bit off the topic of this thread, but I'm curious if you may know the answer: I'm going to be feeding the KURO a 10-bit YUV 4:2:2 signal. From what I understand the input electronics will accept such a signal as it falls under deep color, but I'm unsure if the KURO's internal processing with scale the 10 bit to 8 bit before outputting to the drive electronics, or if the full 10 bit signal will be sent instead. Do you happen to know?

post #336 of 341 Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IDo you happen to know?
Sorry no, but I'd be surprised if this is a 10-bit panel. Actually I'd be astonished. There are some plasma tech threads, I'd ask there.
post #337 of 341 Old 04-29-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

Sorry no, but I'd be surprised if this is a 10-bit panel. Actually I'd be astonished. There are some plasma tech threads, I'd ask there.

From what I've read it should be able to display the billion+ colors that 10 bit involves, with the caveat that it it'd be done via PDP mechanism such as half-toning, dithering, PWM, etc. The Panasonic PDPs have been able to resolve 10 bit equivalent  for quite a while now if I recall correctly... infact, before I purchased a KURO for monitoring I was going to purchase a Panasonic TH-42BT300U, a pro-grade plasma monitor that can accept SDI (with the proper card) and was used in many post houses before the OLED and DOLBY screens came around (budget post houses procured many VT25 through VT60s, calibrated them through a LUT box, and used them for grading their 10 bit signals that they used with Davinci Resolve).

post #338 of 341 Old 04-30-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

From what I've read it should be able to display the billion+ colors that 10 bit involves, with the caveat that it it'd be done via PDP mechanism such as half-toning, dithering, PWM, etc. The Panasonic PDPs have been able to resolve 10 bit equivalent  for quite a while now if I recall correctly... infact, before I purchased a KURO for monitoring I was going to purchase a Panasonic
 TH-42BT300U, a pro-grade plasma monitor that can accept SDI (with the proper card) and was used in many post houses before the OLED and DOLBY screens came around (budget post houses procured many VT25 through VT60s, calibrated them through a LUT box, and used them for grading their 10 bit signals that they used with Davinci Resolve).

I know a KRP500A tv can do davincci quite comfortably - so a 500M of course. I think Kuro's display 12bit at any time as a matter of course due to their processing prowess. But with HDMI 1.3 can go on display up to 36 bit.

Here is a link kinda relevant for you - in your mention of Panasonic plasmas, LUT, davincci and the Pioneer Kuro. It's all a good read but the 24th post is the mention of the Kuro by someone who knows what he is talking about and works in a studio in motion design, color and editing if i remember correctly.

Black levels are everything for colour - but if you ask me the Kuros were to expensive to buy in. The BBC don't even require 10 bit. And if doing grading or whatever why would anyone want LCD with it's **** blacks and angle colour issues is beyond me.

Anyway here is the link - post 24 (i think)

http://mobi.creativecow.net/thread/277/615
post #339 of 341 Old 04-30-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post

And if doing grading or whatever why would anyone want LCD with it's **** blacks and angle colour issues is beyond me.

So thats why gamma is wrong in recent movies?
also the lack of details near black is obvious.
the washed out colors with a yellow tone is another.

i started to wonder why most of the new movies looks crap.

they must be using LCD LED tvs for grading smile.gif
post #340 of 341 Old 04-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

they must be using LCD LED tvs for grading smile.gif

The grade one monitors they are using have perfect gray scale and perfect color where Rec709 and beyond is concerned; doesn't matter that they are LCD. Plus, grades are usually checked, or sometimes done on, a DLP cinema projector with a DCI gamut vs rec 709. Don't forget, many many post houses were using panny plasmas only a few years ago, and many have switched to OLED screens with some purchasing Dolby's grading monitor which is probably one of the most advanced displays in the world (and it's an LED LCD, though not the sort we are used to).

In short, LCD isn't the source of the problems that you describe. I'd wager it's probably due to execs wanting a certain "gritty" look for the picture, which usually involves a desaturation with high contrast, similar to a bleach bypass.

post #341 of 341 Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice View Post

What i would absolutely love is a big **** off signing and dancing Lumagen processor.

Max out ANY KURO model with it's huge amount of controls... Scaling is handy too cool.gif

wink.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Krp 500m 50 Inch Flat Panel Kuro Monitor
Gear in this thread - 500m by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page