LG XXPJ350 Plasma Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 325 Old 12-29-2010, 02:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I might be picking up one of these and just have some questions.

1) Does this model require a break in? If so, what would you recommend as the best process?

2) How does this TV do with gaming performance?

3) Any noticeable issues that this model has as opposed to other plasmas in this price range?

4) Does LG give some good "tune-ability" out of the box? Are there any good settings from those who have calibrated this?

5) How would you guys compare this to the Samsung PN42C450 or the Panasonic TC-P42C2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 325 Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt V View Post

I might be picking up one of these and just have some questions.

1) Does this model require a break in? If so, what would you recommend as the best process?

2) How does this TV do with gaming performance?

3) Any noticeable issues that this model has as opposed to other plasmas in this price range?

4) Does LG give some good "tune-ability" out of the box? Are there any good settings from those who have calibrated this?

5) How would you guys compare this to the Samsung PN42C450 or the Panasonic TC-P42C2?

For break in i just put on hd discovery channel everyday for a few hours and no black bars for the first 100 hours.

I use it for gaming ps3 360 and wii and its great.

Iv'e had no problems at all with this tv and its well worth the money.
post #273 of 325 Old 01-01-2011, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the great info. Just picked up the 50PJ350 and have some questions. I had looked at the 120hz LCD panels and liked the way sports looked and also certain movies looked much clearer to me. I was told that Plasmas have a faster hz but I don't get that same feel when watching the same content on the 50PJ350. Is this because the LCD is also using motion blur technology and the plasmas don't have that? Essentially I want the this plasma to have that same 120hz feel for sports and some movies that the I saw on the LCD. Maybe this isn't possible on plasma.

Also does this TV automatically upscale DVD's? I thought the newer ones did so I wouldn't need to get a newer upscaling DVD player.

Thanks for the help.
post #274 of 325 Old 01-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am having some trouble understanding exactly what can be done with the "Digital Audio Output" connection on my 42PJ350. From what I understand, audio from any source that is connected to my TV should be able to be passed through from this connection with an optical audio cable to an external source and will be played as either 5.1 if coming from the DTV input or 2.0 from all other inputs. What I currently have set up is a PS3 connected to this TV through HDMI. I wanted to play the sound over different audio speakers, but when hooking up the optical cable nothing changes - sound continues to play through the TV speakers only? Am I missing something here, or is this TV not capable of doing this? Thanks for your time.
post #275 of 325 Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 AM

Well, I've read this entire thread through at least once, and appreciate everyone's ideas and information. Forums such as this are a great benefit to enthusiasts and dabblers alike.

I acquired my 50PJ350 about six weeks ago NIB for five bills at an outlet store based on the fact that it was the biggest flat screen I could buy that would fit inside my armoire (thanks to the narrow bezel) and based on a quick look at online reviews that all indicated up favorable experiences.

I thought it would be helpful to others if I shared my neophite experience.

To quickly repeat what other's have already said - it's a great value, the 720p resolution is fine at normal viewing distance, the screen is very reflective but manageable, the extensive picture controls/ wizard are great for people who have an inclination to play with their setup.

Which brings me to my reason for posting: I have struggled to understand/ implement the calibration settings suggested here by Will2007 and in the Plasma TV Buying Guide. The 20pt White Balance numbers vary so widely between the two, and they vary greatly from one IRE point to another (especially in the PTVBG numbers). I could only conclude that there is a lot of variation in personal preferences and a lot of variation between and within hardware. Which then implies that it does not make sense to take someone else's 20pt white balance numbers or Color Mgmt Settings exactly.

I am a complete novice, and do not plan to buy any calibration equipment or pay for a professional calibration (hey, I paid less than five bills for a 50" plasma TV), but I have a critical eye and want to get the most from my TV based on all the help available here. At first I used the Picture Wizard and that helped a lot to find the right Contrast (90), Brightness (55); V/H Sharpness (43/46), Color (55) and Tint (G3).

Then I tried the 2pt White Balance which improved things more but I did not have good numbers to work from so only changed the RGB levels. Not worth listing here.

Finally last night I took the plunge and did a 20pt White Balance based on a 'smoothing' of Will2007's numbers (see last 'Generic' graph in the attachment below) and the improvement was very noticeable - especially in the shadows where I can see much more detail than before yet I'm still getting very good blacks as well as realistic colors. After the 20pt cal I shifted the tint to R3 and upped the Color to 58. I will play with them a little more, and maybe try some changes in the Color Mgmt System.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions, especially to Will2007. Hopefully it won't be long before I stop analyzing the image and just enjoy the show.

Attachment 196593

LG 50PJ350 20pt White Balance Settings.doc 164.5k . file
post #276 of 325 Old 01-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Anyone have problems with their speakers. I have a 50pj350 and it is awesome except for the speakers. They almost sound blown at times when something loud happens. I have played with the bass and treble and it doesn't really help. Anyone else having this problem?
post #277 of 325 Old 01-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

I am having some trouble understanding exactly what can be done with the "Digital Audio Output" connection on my 42PJ350. From what I understand, audio from any source that is connected to my TV should be able to be passed through from this connection with an optical audio cable to an external source and will be played as either 5.1 if coming from the DTV input or 2.0 from all other inputs. What I currently have set up is a PS3 connected to this TV through HDMI. I wanted to play the sound over different audio speakers, but when hooking up the optical cable nothing changes - sound continues to play through the TV speakers only? Am I missing something here, or is this TV not capable of doing this? Thanks for your time.

Anyone have any advice on this? It would be most appreciated. Looking for any way possible to direct the audio out and away from my TV speakers without needing to buy a receiver =)
post #278 of 325 Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Hi, i have an .MKV file on my external disk and when i connect it to TV LG 42PJ350 it shows only foto and music. But the TV should support .MKV files. Can anyone help me ? ty
post #279 of 325 Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 AM

The PJ series LG plasmas do not support video playback via the USB port. Only pictures and audio. That is why there are so many postings regarding service menus and firmware levels from people trying to 'convert' there PJ's to 'PK' levels of USB functionality. I have not seen a post yet indicating that is possible.
post #280 of 325 Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM

mjodotcom - I am just starting to play with alternatives for audio output. Your post is a little confusing though where you say "any source that is connected to my TV should be able to be passed through from this connection with an optical audio cable to an external source and will be played . . . ". You don't pass the audio signal through to another 'source'. You pass the audio signal through to an amplifier that can convert the optical signal and amplify it for playing on an external set of speakers. You can't take a signal from the TV, whether optical or not and have it play on another set of speakers without some kind of amplifier - either an AV receiver, or an amplifier built into a 2.1/5.1 HTIB setup. I also believe that there is a setting in the TV setup that lets you shut off the TV speaker so that you can rely soley on the external speakers (I'm not sure if you need to set the TV speakers to 'off' before the audio signal is passed through the TOSLINK though. . . ).

Anyway, because my receiver is 15yrs old and does not have a Toslink input, I am routing my audio signal (from a DVD player, and from a Western Digital TV Mini) directly to my AV receiver and sending no audio signal to the TV. This is working fine so far, with no sync issues between video and audio.
post #281 of 325 Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctinter View Post

Anyone have problems with their speakers. I have a 50pj350 and it is awesome except for the speakers. They almost sound blown at times when something loud happens. I have played with the bass and treble and it doesn't really help. Anyone else having this problem?

The audio is working fine on my 50PJ350. I actually think it is exceptional for a flat panel (I can hear the dialogue very well - never expected any base to speak of). I am using the Clear Voice setting, I think at about level 4. I don't even remember seeing a base/ treble selection.
post #282 of 325 Old 01-20-2011, 07:02 PM

well then mine is defective cuz the speakers sound like ass
post #283 of 325 Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieDad View Post

The PJ series LG plasmas do not support video playback via the USB port. Only pictures and audio. That is why there are so many postings regarding service menus and firmware levels from people trying to 'convert' there PJ's to 'PK' levels of USB functionality. I have not seen a post yet indicating that is possible.

Mine came with the ability to play almost every video format (but only SD), and I've read posts at http://www.lg-hack.info mentioning that they have made their TVs able play video through USB.
If there is a way to extract my TVs firmware to upload it i'll be happy to help..but keep in mind that my TV has a little lesser options in picture section>
post #284 of 325 Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM

BTW..How could you change your country in the TV menu?
It only asks you the first time you turn on the TV, and because i didn't pay attention I've lost the ability to receive digital channels (DTV is only available for some countries).
post #285 of 325 Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 PM

I want to buy this tv for my dad. His girlfriend likes to watch news channels. They usually watch them for about an hour. Is this TV model sensitive enough to burn in where it would be a problem to have a TV station stamp on the screen for an hour?
post #286 of 325 Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 AM

If you mean the channels logos, not at all.
post #287 of 325 Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 AM

Edit - Should have read the last page. Annoyed there's no video playback via USB!
post #288 of 325 Old 01-31-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

Anyone have any advice on this? It would be most appreciated. Looking for any way possible to direct the audio out and away from my TV speakers without needing to buy a receiver =)

I have my PS3 running through to my TV via HDMI, and have the sound running to my surround sound system with a optical cable. Most likely what you haven't done is go into the PS3's audio (or sound) settings area on the XMB and tell it to output the sound through the digital out port. Hope that helps. Oh and by the way, you don't run your optical cable from your tv to your surround sound system, you run it from the back of the ps3 to the surround system. And when you do that, you don't even have to turn the volume down on the tv, the ps3 will stop sending sound to your tv through the HDMI after you tell it to, and only send it through the optical cable.
post #289 of 325 Old 01-31-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Well, I've read this entire thread through at least once, and appreciate everyone's ideas and information. Forums such as this are a great benefit to enthusiasts and dabblers alike.

I acquired my 50PJ350 about six weeks ago NIB for five bills at an outlet store based on the fact that it was the biggest flat screen I could buy that would fit inside my armoire (thanks to the narrow bezel) and based on a quick look at online reviews that all indicated up favorable experiences.

I thought it would be helpful to others if I shared my neophite experience.

To quickly repeat what other's have already said - it's a great value, the 720p resolution is fine at normal viewing distance, the screen is very reflective but manageable, the extensive picture controls/ wizard are great for people who have an inclination to play with their setup.

Which brings me to my reason for posting: I have struggled to understand/ implement the calibration settings suggested here by Will2007 and in the Plasma TV Buying Guide. The 20pt White Balance numbers vary so widely between the two, and they vary greatly from one IRE point to another (especially in the PTVBG numbers). I could only conclude that there is a lot of variation in personal preferences and a lot of variation between and within hardware. Which then implies that it does not make sense to take someone else's 20pt white balance numbers or Color Mgmt Settings exactly.

I am a complete novice, and do not plan to buy any calibration equipment or pay for a professional calibration (hey, I paid less than five bills for a 50" plasma TV), but I have a critical eye and want to get the most from my TV based on all the help available here. At first I used the Picture Wizard and that helped a lot to find the right Contrast (90), Brightness (55); V/H Sharpness (43/46), Color (55) and Tint (G3).

Then I tried the 2pt White Balance which improved things more but I did not have good numbers to work from so only changed the RGB levels. Not worth listing here.

Finally last night I took the plunge and did a 20pt White Balance based on a 'smoothing' of Will2007's numbers (see last 'Generic' graph in the attachment below) and the improvement was very noticeable - especially in the shadows where I can see much more detail than before yet I'm still getting very good blacks as well as realistic colors. After the 20pt cal I shifted the tint to R3 and upped the Color to 58. I will play with them a little more, and maybe try some changes in the Color Mgmt System.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions, especially to Will2007. Hopefully it won't be long before I stop analyzing the image and just enjoy the show.

Attachment 196593

Hey Movie dad, when you get a chance, would you mine explaining to me how you read the graphs that you attached, I'd like to use them, but I don't know how to comprehend the data that I'm reading from them.
post #290 of 325 Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 PM

smooch_357: the horizontal scale is the 20pt IRE scale (from 5 to 100 in 5pt increments). the vertical scale is the 'level' that red or blue are set at for each IRE point. For example, on the 'Generic' 20pt white balance graph, at IRE = 70, I set Red at -16 and Blue at -8. These settings are the same as Will2007's for IRE=70, but you can see that I smoothed things out a bit in the 25-45IRE range, and didn't drop the blue so far down for IRE 5-15 because I was worried his results may be too extreme/ not apply to my hardware.
post #291 of 325 Old 02-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Smooch_357: I have also worked through the CMS (Color Mgmt System)/ Gamut settings proposed by several folks (Big Brag, Plasma TV Buyers Gude) and come up with a 'generic' set of those that I like. On my set I ended up taking the green down compared to what others were recommending.

See the attached file for a graph of the color/ tint settings for each color (red, blue, green, yellow, cyan, magenta)

LG 50PJ350 Color Gamut Settings.doc 48.5k . file
post #292 of 325 Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Smooch_357: I have also worked through the CMS (Color Mgmt System)/ Gamut settings proposed by several folks (Big Brag, Plasma TV Buyers Gude) and come up with a 'generic' set of those that I like. On my set I ended up taking the green down compared to what others were recommending.

See the attached file for a graph of the color/ tint settings for each color (red, blue, green, yellow, cyan, magenta)

Thanks for all of your help, and also for just taking the time to respond to my question. I'll let you know how these settings workout.
post #293 of 325 Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 AM

no problem. this is probably the first time I've given help in one of these forums rather than received it. feels good . . . .
post #294 of 325 Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Okay, I am hoping to the get the best picture on my 50PJ350. I tried PTVBG's settings and the skin tones were blotchy. I thought the overall picture was clearer, but the pixelation/blotchiness of skin tones and white and tan colors was way off. I am hoping to find some expert calibration settings that work for me.

One thing that I don't understand is why "film mode" is turned off and I cannot access the setting to turn it on? How can I change that?
post #295 of 325 Old 02-08-2011, 05:29 AM

LJC13Plasma - I have seen several people comment that the Plasma TV Buyers Guide settings for the 50PJ350 don't look good. I think Will2007 provided better 20pt greyscale numbers, which I reproduced in my attachment in post #275 in this thread.

I have also posted a 'consensus' of color gamut settings in post #291 that look pretty good. Overall though I am still playing with it because I think things are a little too green overall.

As for 'film' mode, I can't verify because I am at work but you may need to be in 'expert1' or 'expert2' mode in order to change the film mode.
post #296 of 325 Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:

LJC13Plasma - I have seen several people comment that the Plasma TV Buyers Guide settings for the 50PJ350 don't look good. I think Will2007 provided better 20pt greyscale numbers, which I reproduced in my attachment in post #275 in this thread.

I have also posted a 'consensus' of color gamut settings in post #291 that look pretty good. Overall though I am still playing with it because I think things are a little too green overall.

As for 'film' mode, I can't verify because I am at work but you may need to be in 'expert1' or 'expert2' mode in order to change the film mode.

I tried Will2007's settings and they were too dark and it made the picture grainy. Maybe it was because he didn't list any of the color management system settings. I used Disney's WOW calibration disc and I found that this set doesn't display whites well. Using that disc's settings and the blue filter to set color and tint, I wound up with these settings:

Contrast: 94 (At 100 it still couldn't get the whites correct. I didn't want the contrast set that high, so I lowered it to 94)

Brightness: 55

Sharpness: 20

Color: 46

Tint: R17

I think I will stick with this setting. If I find some professionally ISF calibrated settings I may try them out, but those are hard to come by. As far as film mode being turned off, I found out that it will only work with an interlaced(1080i) signal on this 720p set. I don't know if it is worth setting my blu-ray player or satellite receiver at 1080i just to enable the film mode. The TV would have to downscale the source and that could hurt the picture.
post #297 of 325 Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 AM

LJC13Plasma: given that you list your sharpness setting as one number (20), it sounds like you are not using the Expert 1 or Expert 2 modes. These give you control over vertical and horizontal sharpness separately.

I don't think Will2007's white balance setting would be the reason for your picture being too dark or grainy. His 20pt IRE setting just affect the relative color in the shades of grey.

Have you gone into the Expert Controls and adjusted your Gamma (I use medium, high will make things darker) or color Gammut (I use Std, Wide is washed out)? What about the Black Level (I use Low, but this may be causing your darkness too - I used High for one of my input sources). Again, Expert Controls are only available if you select Expert 1 or Expert 2 modes.

Do you have the Energy Save mode on? If yes, this may be automatically darkening your picture to save energy. I leave this off.

I run all my inputs at 1080i. I read that this provides more detail (1080 lines of information vs. 720), and it's generally easier for the TV to scale it down to 768 than to scale 720 lines up to 768 (the actual display resolution). Bottom line though - I can't really see a difference in PQ.

I'm surprised your image is grainy. How close are you sitting to the TV? 6' or less you might see the pixel structure/ screen door effect. Are you using HDMI to send the video to the TV? My image looked poor until I connected with an HDMI cable. What is your video source? Is it SD DVD/ Cable, or High Def Blue Ray/ Cable? Std Def will look mediocre. For my cable box/ SD input (can't seem to get the family used to using the HD channels) I turn on the Edge Enhancement and set Noise Reduction to High (both available in the Expert Controls).

Yes, you have to run the contrast really high to get really bright whites (I use 80, and I run Dynamic Contrast on Low - again, it's in the Expert Control. Dynamic Contrast makes the image 'pop' a little, but the downside is you can sometimes see it working if the scenes shift quickly between dark and light). I've read this is common with plasma TV's and not unique to the LG's.

fyi - there is a Color Temp setting that is not visible in the menu. you have to select tint, then hit the down arrow to move down to the Color Temp setting. (I am set at 0. Most people use around W20)

These are my Color Mgmt settings (I thought Will2007's were too green, and I didn't want to take the red down like he did):
Red: 0 color/ 0 tint
Green: 0 / 0
Blue: -1 / 1
Yellow: 0 / -4
Cyan: 0 / 0
Magenta: 2 / -1

My other settings are:
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 55
V Sharp: 46
H Sharp: 43
Color: 60 (a little higher than 'natural' to make things pop)
Tint: R5
Color Temp: 0

Dynamic Contrast - Low (off if sometimes seeing the active adjustment bothers you)
Noise Reduction - High for SD, Off for Blue Ray
Gamma - Medium
Black Level - Low
Film Mode - on
Color Gamut - Std
Edge Enhancement - Low for SD, Off for Blue Ray
White Balance - Med
post #298 of 325 Old 02-09-2011, 02:12 PM

What more can you ask for at 500? Use common sense unboxing. Plug it in. Be Amazed!
This television is FANTASTIC. Read this thread again, BUY THIS Unit!!!!!!!!!!!
I am an Old Man, bought too many TV's in my Lifetime, This one immediately struts it's Stuff!!!! I design and Sell Custom Sub Woofers. 500,,,, I am buying two more!!!!!
post #299 of 325 Old 02-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Hi, I just purchased one of these LG 50PJ350's a couple of days ago and really like the set so far! Except the picture doesn't look quite right when i turn down the brightness / contrast below 50 as per what it says in the IR/Break-In thread.

The set only has about 8 hours on it so far as it is a bedroom TV and only gets used a few hours per night. I also have turned on the orbiter feature, I primarily use the set to watch HD cable, as well as a few upconverted DVDs and my growing Blu-ray collection. But mostly cable, the HD box (moto DCX-3200) is set to 720p and 480i override is set to stretch.

I have NOT noticed any IR so far exactly how dangerous would it be to turn up the brightness / contrast a little bit? (This is my first plasma so I'm terrified of destroying it with the channel logos such.) I have just been using cinema pre-set with the contrast/brightness turned down to about 45 and the sharpness turned down. Is there any harm in trying out some of the settings in this thread with a new set?

Thanks for any advice!

Edit: also whats the proper viewing distance for a 50"? I think I'm a bit close at about 6 - 7 feet.
post #300 of 325 Old 02-11-2011, 05:35 AM

Crazy_Man2: I ran my contrast on 70 right out of the box and have had no issue. I've even seen some recomendations to run contrast on 100 to break it in. I've also had no issues with IR, and my set is in the family room for the kids to watch whatever they want (Cartoon Network logos up, sitting on the DVR menu page for several minutes at a time). I just tell them to turn off the set if they pause a show to go do something.

I think you are safe to jump right into the calibrations posted here. The sooner you do the sooner you'll really know that you made a great purchase.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page