Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermatt34 View Post

Hey guys,

Just grabbed this set (50pj350) the other day through a pretty sweet sears deal with bing cashback. I am in love with this tv lol. Absolutely destroys the experience I had with my old 32" lcd. I went ahead and posted my review on amazon so I will share it with you. As some asked about input lag, I have played a few rounds of mw2 on it and there is no noticeable lag so that is good news for the console gamers like myself.

Great news!
I think I'm ordering one any day now, and the big thing I was worried about was the input lag as I'm playing alot of mw2 and other FPS. So this is great news. I guess sensitivity for input lag is different from one person to another, but I'm not a hardcore gamer so lets hope that it's fine for me too.

Have you experienced any IR on it that bothers you?

Btw, was checking out the PJ650 today. Tried to compare it to the X10 that stood beside it, even if it's hard to compare in store environment. Thought that the PJ650 had better picture quality over all. Richer colors and deeper blacks. And the design looked a lot better on the LG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiconline View Post

2.) The stand. The LG stand swivels, and the Samsung doesn't.

Funny thing about swiveling stands. Samsung has them for years, LG introduces them a year or so ago, Panasonic doesn't have them. But this year...

...Samsung suddenly drops the swiveling stand, LG continues it, and Panasonic introduces it (saw it on a G2 in a store).
Old 04-12-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpas View Post

Great news!
I think I'm ordering one any day now, and the big thing I was worried about was the input lag as I'm playing alot of mw2 and other FPS. So this is great news. I guess sensitivity for input lag is different from one person to another, but I'm not a hardcore gamer so lets hope that it's fine for me too.

Have you experienced any IR on it that bothers you?

Btw, was checking out the PJ650 today. Tried to compare it to the X10 that stood beside it, even if it's hard to compare in store environment. Thought that the PJ650 had better picture quality over all. Richer colors and deeper blacks. And the design looked a lot better on the LG!

Absolutely no IR as of yet and I fairly certain I would notice since I am keeping a close eye on it as this is my first plasma. I am keeping it safe for now as I am still breaking it in so I have the contrast and brightness both below 50.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:14 AM

comiconline,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to stop being lazy and read that humongous thread on the Oppo sometime.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

To any new owners: How loud is the (nee Samsung) buzzing noise, if any, emitted by this display?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

To any new owners: How loud is the (nee Samsung) buzzing noise, if any, emitted by this display?

audible if you are within three inches of the back of the unit. my samsung 860 produces the same amount of noise. my 9g kuro is by far the loudest of the three plasmas i own.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

i found this.. from here =>http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-60...0081019133.htm

Really? LG stands for "Lucky Goldstar." That's ridiculous.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:25 PM

Does anyone know if the input lag is the same on the PJ650? Called LG and he said that the 650 had the exact same graphics circuit as the 350. But the same person claimed that the PJ350 and PJ650 was full hd, so I'm not sure.

In fact, he said that the only difference between these two is the design and usb functionality. But you never know.. so I'm asking you guys. Does anyone have the 650 and tested gaming on it?

The design on the 650 is really sweet so I'm considering that one(not big difference in price at all).
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the input lag is the same on the PJ650? Called LG and he said that the 650 had the exact same graphics circuit as the 350. But the same person claimed that the PJ350 and PJ650 was full hd, so I'm not sure.

In fact, he said that the only difference between these two is the design and usb functionality. But you never know.. so I'm asking you guys. Does anyone have the 650 and tested gaming on it?

The design on the 650 is really sweet so I'm considering that one(not big difference in price at all).

As far as I know, the PJxxx and PKxxx series use a different video processor. We only have some reports that the PK series have high input lag. Can anyone confirm this/measure the PJ350 series?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xefned View Post

Really? LG stands for "Lucky Goldstar." That's ridiculous.

Not only that, LG also stands for "Zenith" -- as in, "The quality goes in before the name goes on." Zenith at one time rivaled RCA (!?) and Motorola (!?) as the top US television brands.

But if you didn't know about GoldStar, then you probably don't remember Zenith either, so....

Never mind.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:32 PM

As more and more people buy the PJ350, I'm wondering whether any of you owners can compare it to LG's 2009 720p plasmas in terms of the real improvement, if any, over the PQ30 plasmas. I recently sold my 42PQ30, not due to dissatisfaction with the tv's quality, but because I want to upgrade to a 50" screen. There seems to have been a LOT of improvement from LG over last year's 1080p plasmas, judging from the thread on the PK550, but the jury seems to still be out on the 720p plasmas. Also, how does the PJ compare to the PK in terms of black levels? I'm not concerned with 720p vs. 1080p, which doesn't seem to matter much in plasmas smaller than 60", so I'm more interested in things like contrast ratio, blacks, etc. Glare and IR are of no concern to me. (Even in last year's LG plasmas, IR was vastly over-exaggerated around AVS.)
Old 04-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Not only that, LG also stands for "Zenith" -- as in, "The quality goes in before the name goes on." Zenith at one time rivaled RCA (!?) and Motorola (!?) as the top US television brands.

But if you didn't know about GoldStar, then you probably don't remember Zenith either, so....

Never mind.

Oh yikes. I do remember GoldStar appliances. Not that I would have dared buy one. It didn't dawn on me that GoldStar was now "Lucky." Good thing they rebranded, because I'd never in a million years buy a goldstar anything.

And I do remember the slogan "the quality goes in before the name goes on..." Back when it was common to see Zenith and Magnavox TVs and VCRs. And back when RCA's were manufactured in the US, in my hometown (Bloomington, IN) no less.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh yikes. I do remember GoldStar appliances. Not that I would have dared buy one.

In a lab where I worked at the time (fifteen years ago), we had several CD players to test equipment with. The GoldStar player would play discs without a hiccup that the Denon wouldn't even spin up.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

which begs another question...what should I set my DVD at? I'm thinking 720p, the native resolution...thoughts?

On these HD Ready plasma display, you should always set your DVD player to 576p (E.U.) or 480p (U.S.) .

There are 2 good reasons to do that:

1. only 1 upscaling to match the native resolution of the display (1024x768 42" or 1366x768 50").

2. You will not have the bug of the color standard (Rec. 601 for SD or Rec. 709 for HD contents). Unfortunately, 99% of the DVD/BD players when used togheter with an HDTV and to play an SD source (like DVD or DivX), if you set the player to 720p or 1080i/p the HDTV will set its color standard to HD (Rec. 709), but that thing is wrong because the source is SD and the player is not converting the SD color standard to HD. It is doing only the upscaling. So, the result is that, when using 720p or 1080i/p, some colors will be wrong on the display.

About a BD player, I suggest you the latest Sony '70 series. I have bought the BDP-S370 2 weeks ago and I'm using it with my old LG PG plasma (HD Ready 2008 series). Great player and for a very good price (the E.U. version has also the DivX and MKV support). I made some tests about the deinterlacing with a DVD Test, and it seems to me it works better than my old Oppo (with the famous Faroudjia). I'm very happy about this new sony

ps. to play BD, all players are almost the same, expecially if you are using them togheter with an HD Ready display.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the input lag is the same on the PJ650? Called LG and he said that the 650 had the exact same graphics circuit as the 350.

That's right. I have seen the block diagram of these new PJ, they (all) have the same video-processor and all the other stuff.

The PJ650 looks great
Old 04-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

On these HD Ready plasma display, you should always set your DVD player to 576p (E.U.) or 480p (U.S.) .

There are 2 good reasons to do that:

1. only 1 upscaling to match the native resolution of the display (1024x768 42" or 1366x768 50").

I see what you are saying, but then wouldn't it make sense to set the DVD player at 480i and let the TV do the de-interlacing and upscaling?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:24 PM

Usually it is better to let the player do the deinterlacing. But I doubt that ordinary people are able to notice any difference when using an LG HD Ready plasma display up to 50" and watch at it from the right viewing distance, because LG is using good video processors on their HDTV. On the PG series (2008) there is a Genesis FLI10610H “Douglas-Plus”, with DCDi by Faroudja, which is even a bit better of the (older) Genesis I have on my old Oppo player. Different story with panasonic plasma.

You can set the player to interlaced modes (480i/576i) when you have an external (very) good video processor, but you don't need it with these displays. Different story if you have a 60" full-HD display or a VPR, and you watch a lot SD contents.

Actually, I suggest to buy a good BD player but not expensive, like those new sony, use it to watch your old DVDs and start to buy the new movies on BD. So, in case of a future full-HD HDTV upgrade, you will be OK
Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 AM

thanks for this great thread. i'm down to these final choices:
  • LG 42PJ350
  • Samsung PN42C450
  • Panasonic TC-P42C2
  • Panasonic TC-42PX24

Leaning towards the Panny C2 because I can get it for a great price, but the issue for me is glare...i have a pretty bright studio in manhattan.

The X24 looks like the same set as the C2 but with an anti-reflective filter. can't find that one at a good price though.

Leaning against the Samsung because of the touch-of-red nonsense. love the simple and thin-framed LG design.

Question for 350 owners - have you compared it to the two Panny models above? Any features that make it stand out?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleanshoo View Post

thanks for this great thread. i'm down to these final choices:
  • LG 42PJ350
  • Samsung PN42C450
  • Panasonic TC-P42C2
  • Panasonic TC-42PX24

Leaning towards the Panny C2 because I can get it for a great price, but the issue for me is glare...i have a pretty bright studio in manhattan.

The X24 looks like the same set as the C2 but with an anti-reflective filter. can't find that one at a good price though.

Leaning against the Samsung because of the touch-of-red nonsense. love the simple and thin-framed LG design.

Question for 350 owners - have you compared it to the two Panny models above? Any features that make it stand out?

24p refreshed at 72Hz instead of 60Hz.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullpointerninja View Post

24p refreshed at 72Hz instead of 60Hz.

Also a superb suite of owner calibration tools, and one less sheet of glass, than the Panasonic models. Much lighter and slimmer, a swivel stand, and a very narrow bezel, that is less that one inch across.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Sitting here with a new 42PJ350. Can't say that much yet, but so far it's way over my expectations. It looks really good, the picture quality is more than great! Especially for a tv at this price. Waiting for the darkness to see how good the black level is

Need some time to calibrate it and watch different sources on it. Will try gaming tomorrow so I can come back with a comment on input lag.

Looks way better than the panasonic X20(in Sweden it is called X20). Hard for me to compare the picture on them since I've only seen the X20 in store. But I think it doesnt matter which one you choose. You will be satisfied with both of them in this price range.

I chose the LG because of:
- Price(little bit cheaper than the X20)
- Design(looks waaaaaaaaay better)
- Calibration tools

About the glare; when I saw them in store I thought they reflected about the same amount. I can't say that the glare bothers me on the LG, and I have a studio apartment with big windows. If you think about it you can see the reflection in the tv, but when you just enjoy the picture it doesn't bother you at all. But that's just my opinion

So far I'm really happy with my purchase! But I will need to test the input lag before I can say that this is the perfect tv at this price.

EDIT: Does anyone have recommended settings?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:06 PM

Limpas,
are the Expert (or ISF) presets available on your PJ350? If so, please post all the settings of one Expert preset, and tomorrow I'll give you some tips
Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:

In a lab where I worked at the time (fifteen years ago), we had several CD players to test equipment with. The GoldStar player would play discs without a hiccup that the Denon wouldn't even spin up.

It really goes to show it's all about brand perception. Because while I wouldn't buy a Goldstar in 1994. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an LG now. It really 'feels' like a different brand now.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Sitting here with a new 42PJ350. Can't say that much yet, but so far it's way over my expectations. It looks really good, the picture quality is more than great! Especially for a tv at this price. Waiting for the darkness to see how good the black level is

How do you feel about switching the screen fit for SD sources. Is it really as big of a pain as it's made out to be? (Several submenus down?) Vs. the one touch 'fit' button on the Samsung and Panasonic remotes.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:

How do you feel about switching the screen fit for SD sources. Is it really as big of a pain as it's made out to be? (Several submenus down?) Vs. the one touch 'fit' button on the Samsung and Panasonic remotes.

There is a "ratio" button on the remot that allows one to scroll through all the aspect settings of 16:9, just scan, set by program, 4:3, zoom, and cinema zoom.

When I 1st got my set, I had it set to 16:9. That displayed all sources @ 16:9, of course that stretched SD content. I since selected "just scan". This setting displays the source correctly. That is 16:9 for HD content, 4:3 for SD, 1.85 for movies, etc. As a result, I don't mess with the settings.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

Limpas,
are the Expert (or ISF) presets available on your PJ350? If so, please post all the settings of one Expert preset, and tomorrow I'll give you some tips

Not Limpas, but I wouldn't mind playing around...
Here are all the settings and defaults in the ISF menu and sub-menus.

main menu
contrast :80
Brightness 50
H Sharpness 50
v sharpness 50
color 50
tint 0

(expert control)
dynamic contrast = off
noise reduction = off
gamma = medium
black level = high
film mode (only active with interlaced input)
color std = HD
color gamut = std
edge enhancer = off
white balance = warm
method = 2 pts
pattern = outer
red contrast = 0
green contrast = 0
blue contrast = 0
red brightness = 0
green brightness = 0
blue brightness = 0

(Color management system)
red color = 0
red tint = 0
green color = 0
green tint = 0
blue color = 0
blue tint = 0
yellow color = 0
yellow tint = 0
cyan color = 0
cyan tint = 0
magenta color = 0
magenta tint = 0
Old 04-17-2010, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The one thing I wish LG employed this year on their 2010 models was an additional aspect ratio setting of "Horizontal Fill". Samsung has this feature which comes in handy stretching 4:3 content to fill the whole screen. LG continues to employ the "Cinema Zoom". My '09 50PQ30 still has a gr8 looking picture & I am looking to add either a 42PJ350 or a 50PK550 in our master bedroom.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

The one thing I wish LG employed this year on their 2010 models was an additional aspect ratio setting of "Horizontal Fill". Samsung has this feature which comes in handy stretching 4:3 content to fill the whole screen. LG continues to employ the "Cinema Zoom". My '09 50PQ30 still has a gr8 looking picture & I am looking to add either a 42PJ350 or a 50PK550 in our master bedroom.

the 16:9 setting would do that....if you really wanted to watch stretched out images. I find that way more distracting that the side bars.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:

Like ohiost90 said, it's just one button away so I would not say that there is any pain involved

ohiost90, thanks for posting the settings. Didn't have time to write them down before you did

Would be great with some tips for the settings. As for now, I have turned down the contrast to about 60 and the brightness to 40. Heard that it's good to have them lowered under the first hours, but i don't really know. This is too dark for watching in daylight though.

Tried a round of modern warfare 2 from the ps3, and I can feel that there is a lag compared to my crt. But it does not seem to bother me. Will try some more tomorrow.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Would be great with some tips for the settings. As for now, I have turned down the contrast to about 60 and the brightness to 40. Heard that it's good to have them lowered under the first hours, but i don't really know. This is too dark for watching in daylight though.

Read carefully my posts on this page:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...235720&page=30

you will know some interesting things

Later I'll arrange a post with settings for day & night viewing, and some tips.