LG XXPJ350 Plasma Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will all the good reviews for the 2010 models, I wish I would have waited on purchasing my LG. I'm very pleased with my 42 PQ10, which came home after the Samsung PN-42B450 I had didn't quite cut it. I think LG has made strides to improve features and quality, and in my own opinion could give both Panny and Samsung a run for their money in a year or so.

For an first time plasma owner, I think the best entry level tv out there is LG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post

Read carefully my posts on this page:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...235720&page=30

you will know some interesting things

Later I'll arrange a post with settings for day & night viewing, and some tips.

Thanks!

Going with this settings for a while:

Expert mode with all default but:

Contrast: 58
Brightness: 48
Color: 42
Colortone(?): G7
(All the submenu settings on default expert mode)

ISM-method: Orbiter
Energysaving: Medium

Looks a bit dark in daylight but works for now. Will raise the contrast after maybe a 100 hours or so.

Have not experienced any kind of IR so far, and I've tried gaming on it for about half an hour without the orbiter activated.

Am I doing it the right way?
post #63 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

There is a "ratio" button on the remot that allows one to scroll through all the aspect settings of 16:9, just scan, set by program, 4:3, zoom, and cinema zoom.

When I 1st got my set, I had it set to 16:9. That displayed all sources @ 16:9, of course that stretched SD content. I since selected "just scan". This setting displays the source correctly. That is 16:9 for HD content, 4:3 for SD, 1.85 for movies, etc. As a result, I don't mess with the settings.

As this is my first plasma I have been cautions, perhaps overly so, about IR and so I have been changing up the aspect ratio depending on the source such that the screen is filled.

Is IR a concern with black bars watching 4:3 SD content or 1.85 movies in the long term?
post #64 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 02:54 PM

Have anyone measured the black levels on the PJ-series? It's hard for me to compare with another tv since I haven't seen them in the right environment. Just curious to know
post #65 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Well, I went to sears today they finally had one of these bad boys in stock. I was going to buy it, but the guy said if I returned it there would be a 15% restocking fee! So that was pretty much a deal breaker for me. Which kind of sucks because sears is the only place around here that even carries one of these models.

I play A LOT of games so I knew there was still some worry about input lag and IR so I wanted to make sure I could return it. So not sure what I'm going to do now. I mean, who knows, I could have bought it and loved it. I at least want the option to return for a full refund like Best Buy offers.
post #66 of 325 Old 04-19-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermatt34 View Post

Is IR a concern with black bars watching 4:3 SD content or 1.85 movies in the long term?

I'm curious about this too; never owned a plasma before.

I've been assuming it's only the whites/brights that burn in (??)
post #67 of 325 Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xefned View Post

I'm curious about this too; never owned a plasma before.

I've been assuming it's only the whites/brights that burn in (??)

any uneven pixel wear over time can cause some to look duller than others. if this is done over an extended period of time, it can cause burn-in. this in theory can also happen with lcds, but less likely. if you are going to watch largely 4:3 content on a 16:9 display, a plasma might not be the best choice.

image retention is generally confined to a ghost image remaining temporarily after the image has left. Imagine a black screen with a white circle. it remains on the screen for five minutes and then the screen goes black. on the lg, a ghost image of that white dot will remain for a minute or so after. panasonic is the most resistant to image retention (after dearly departed Pioneer), then Samsung and LG in my experience.
post #68 of 325 Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 AM

Thanks for the insights Winston.

That's an important consideration since we're still a "mostly SD" household, with the Wii and tons of favorite channels, mostly kids and home and garden that are not in HD.

I don't want to watch everything *stretched* to fit the screen just to avoid the possible burn-in.

Maybe I should be looking in LCD...
post #69 of 325 Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM

I bought this tv on friday and so far i really like it. I dont have HD yet but plan on getting it soon, I was wondering about the "Just Scan" feature i read on here it selects the ratio for you , if i was watching HD it would select 16:9 or SD 4:3 and so forth , my thing is i cant select it , does anyone know how i can enable this feature?

Thanks in Advanced

Z
post #70 of 325 Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumoss View Post

I bought this tv on friday and so far i really like it. I dont have HD yet but plan on getting it soon, I was wondering about the "Just Scan" feature i read on here it selects the ratio for you , if i was watching HD it would select 16:9 or SD 4:3 and so forth , my thing is i cant select it , does anyone know how i can enable this feature?

Thanks in Advanced

Z

going from memory...
from the main menu(or quick menu), select "picture". Select "aspect ratio" Togle to "just scan"

I believe you can also press the "ratio" button on the remote to togle between these settings.
post #71 of 325 Old 04-19-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

going from memory...
from the main menu(or quick menu), select "picture". Select "aspect ratio" Togle to "just scan"

I believe you can also press the "ratio" button on the remote to togle between these settings.

It seems i cant select it. It's just passes over the option , Is there some kind of setting i need to be in to use it?
post #72 of 325 Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumoss View Post

It seems i cant select it. It's just passes over the option , Is there some kind of setting i need to be in to use it?

my bad, from the manual:

Just Scan operates only in DTV/CADTV/Component/HDMI-DTV/DVI-DTV (720p/1080i/1080p) input source.

Use "Set by program" to switch between sources.
post #73 of 325 Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 AM

Picked up the 50PJ350 last weekend from HHGregg for the bedroom.

Not nearly as nice as my LG 55LH90, but a definite good buy.

Played a few hours of Rock Band on it. It needed some serious lag calibration.

Sound is suprisingly ok from the speakers and lots of picture quality adjustments available

Has anyone have any problems mounting this on a wall with a standard wall mount? I bought one off monprice and hope it works ok.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #74 of 325 Old 04-22-2010, 12:23 PM

I plan to use a soundbar with this TV (possibly the Polk IHT). The Polk IHT has analog stereo input. Can I use it with this TV?
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your input.
post #75 of 325 Old 04-22-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv_001 View Post

Well, I went to sears today they finally had one of these bad boys in stock. I was going to buy it, but the guy said if I returned it there would be a 15% restocking fee! So that was pretty much a deal breaker for me. Which kind of sucks because sears is the only place around here that even carries one of these models.

I play A LOT of games so I knew there was still some worry about input lag and IR so I wanted to make sure I could return it. So not sure what I'm going to do now. I mean, who knows, I could have bought it and loved it. I at least want the option to return for a full refund like Best Buy offers.

The LG (and Samsung) plasmas will definitely have more IR and gaming lag than Panasonic.

That restocking fee is otherwise known as "the superbowl clause" for good reason. It does not apply if the set is defective.

Steve S.
post #76 of 325 Old 04-22-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubik1998 View Post

I plan to use a soundbar with this TV (possibly the Polk IHT). The Polk IHT has analog stereo input. Can I use it with this TV?
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your input.

the tv doesn't have an analog sound out so you would have to run the audio from your source to your receiver.
post #77 of 325 Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 AM

Hello,, ia hav a Pannasonic PV60 and its have been awsome with everything,,xbox360 bluray and SD and upscaling dvd.s. And now I bought this tv. I have now break in this 200 hour and really wished for some nice settings in ISF mode. Someone who is good at this?? Or do i have to watch this bad settings from the guide . Some of u plzz help me. or i buy a new tv .
post #78 of 325 Old 04-23-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slummer View Post

Hello,, ia hav a Pannasonic PV60 and its have been awsome with everything,,xbox360 bluray and SD and upscaling dvd.s. And now I bought this tv. I have now break in this 200 hour and really wished for some nice settings in ISF mode. Someone who is good at this?? Or do i have to watch this bad settings from the guide . Some of u plzz help me. or i buy a new tv .

I will be posting my settings this weekend. I have mine broken in and have been tooling with the isf expert mode and got what i believe is reasonably accurate.
post #79 of 325 Old 04-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I will be posting my settings this weekend. I have mine broken in and have been tooling with the isf expert mode and got what i believe is reasonably accurate.

Can you please provide some settings for the break in period and some advice on how to go about the break-in procedure with this TV as well. This is my first plasma tv, well, this is my first TV ever and I just want to enjoy it as best as I can.
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help.
post #80 of 325 Old 04-23-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubik1998 View Post

Can you please provide some settings for the break in period and some advice on how to go about the break-in procedure with this TV as well. This is my first plasma tv, well, this is my first TV ever and I just want to enjoy it as best as I can.
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help.

just turn down contrast below 60 and avoid any non 16:9 material or bright logos for extended periods of time.
post #81 of 325 Old 04-23-2010, 06:50 PM

post #82 of 325 Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Just wondering what the consensus is about the IR tendencies of these displays, after they've been broken in?
Also if anyone can verify how they actually handle 24p material? There's a lot of mis-information, about this, out there. I've seen 2:2 and 3:2, 3:2 and 3:3, and just 3:2 in various specs.
post #83 of 325 Old 04-25-2010, 09:15 AM

I just take a photo of my 50PJ350 in totally dark room.

Completely dark image/Brightness 0 (take from 10 years old camera but the screen is quite match the actual one. All shining dot are my camera stuck pixel.)

Is this normal? It quite dark/grey when watching in totally dark room. I escape from LCD, but encounter this. I just want to be sure, Is this normal,If yes I'm relieved. It's not that bad actually.

Note: 50PJ350 in my country doesn't have the same function as other country one. No isf, no expert mode. Well,that's bad. Feel like being rip off. We pay the same price but different function we get. SO, This is might different than other manufacturing.
post #84 of 325 Old 04-25-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraq View Post

Note: 50PJ350 in my country doesn't have the same function as other country one. No isf, no expert mode. Well,that's bad. Feel like being rip off. We pay the same price but different function we get. SO, This is might different than other manufacturing.

Does your model have the thin bezel? I saw that the PJ350R models are being sold in some countries and they look quite different to the ones sold in america.
post #85 of 325 Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 AM

When i am clicking ok button on the remote its showing from the input and here from my dvd its saying HDMI 720P thats fine but whats up with 50hz??
Shouldnt it say 100hz . Cant find hz settings in the settings meny like my pannasonic you can change from 50 to 100. Are we getting really ripped off ??????????
post #86 of 325 Old 04-25-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullpointerninja View Post

Does your model have the thin bezel? I saw that the PJ350R models are being sold in some countries and they look quite different to the ones sold in america.

My model have thin bezel. Well, compare what sell in america it's all the same design as mine. Nothing different when compare side by side.

Yes, I forgot to mention that mine is 50PJ350R. I do want Expert mode. Maybe PJ350,PJ350R have different menu option. I don't know about panel that is same or difference?
post #87 of 325 Old 04-25-2010, 12:48 PM

That is awsome if you do. ISF settings are hard to do for me he he i am new to this.
Orbiter etc i dont know what that is he he he
post #88 of 325 Old 04-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraq View Post

My model have thin bezel. Well, compare what sell in america it's all the same design as mine. Nothing different when compare side by side.

Yes, I forgot to mention that mine is 50PJ350R. I do want Expert mode. Maybe PJ350,PJ350R have different menu option. I don't know about panel that is same or difference?

Maybe there's a setting in the service menu that makes the expert modes available .
The service menu from last year's model had basic 2 point greyscale adjustment controls. Maybe it's still there in the newer models (I know, not as extensive as the expert controls, but it's better than nothing).

Can you check if 24Hz sources are displayed smoothly (without judder)?
post #89 of 325 Old 04-25-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullpointerninja View Post

Maybe there's a setting in the service menu that makes the expert modes available .
The service menu from last year's model had basic 2 point greyscale adjustment controls. Maybe it's still there in the newer models (I know, not as extensive as the expert controls, but it's better than nothing).

Can you check if 24Hz sources are displayed smoothly (without judder)?

I'm also believe that can be enable via service menu, but all LG newer model cannot access service menu with usual way. If anyone know how to enter service menu, please let me know how.

I want to check the 24hz also but sadly I don't have any 24p compatible.
post #90 of 325 Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The input lag by connection type should be:
-50ms for RGB (VGA)
-60ms for HDMI
-85ms for component
-85ms for composite
-20ms for the built in DTV tuner

The above values are the default service menu audio delay settings.

There are two service menus and to get into them you have to use a special service remote or add the IR signal to your programmable remote. See the middle of this thread http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10999. In addition there is a password which is 0000.

Here are the options found in the service menu:
Code:
MODEL             : 42PJ550-UD
S/W VER           V3.05.0          Sensor      V3.00(0x58)
UTT               : 204
ADC CAL.
                  RGB : OK
                  YPbPr(SD) : OK 
                  YPbPr(HD) : OK
EDID : RGB(0) HDMI(1:0 2:0 3:0)
-----------------------------------------------------------
0.  TOOL OPTION              :      4
1.  AREA OPTION              :      CANADA
2.  POWER OFF HISTORY
2.  AUTO TEST
4.  BAUD RATE                       9600
5.  AUDIO EQ                        ON
6.  Bass EQ                         ON
7.  CHANNEL MUTE                    ON
8.  SYNC LEVEL
9.  DTV SNR
10. POWER ERROR HISTORY

0.  ADC CALIBRATION
1.  ADC ADJUST
2.  SUB B/C ADJUST
3.  W/B ADJUST
4.  EDID D/L
5.  2HOUR OFF               :   ON
6.  UART DOWNLOAD
7.  MODULE CONTROL
8.  DEBUG MODE              :   OFF
9.  15Min Forced Off        :   ON
10. Phase Noise Control     :   OFF
11. 1MIN TIMER CONTROL      :   OFF
12. Lip Sync Adjust(HDMI1)  :   60
13. DVI/HDMI Switch         :   OFF
14. PLL Tracking Speed      :   0
15. Touch Sensitivity Setting
16. Over Modulation Control :   1
By changing the value for option '0. Tool Option' you can change the model of your PJ series plasma. If you change a 42" model plasma to a 50" model the display will become zoomed in since the 50" and 42" sets have slightly different native resolutions.

The other settings I found useful are '9. DTV SNR' to see the over the air signal strength and the aforementioned '12. Lip Sync Adjust' which is adjustable for each unique input.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page