LG XXPJ350 Plasma Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 325 Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks you very much for information MarkTO! I gonna try it in in today maybe tomorrow, have to find mobile that got IR thing. May I asked, I have a question about service menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTO View Post

The input lag by connection type should be:
-50ms for RGB (VGA)
-60ms for HDMI
-85ms for component
-85ms for composite
-20ms for the built in DTV tuner

The above values are the default service menu audio delay settings..

So that is input lag in PJxxx series then,quite a lot but I think I can live with 50-60 hdmi one. Too much for component.

Quote:

By changing the value for option '0. Tool Option' you can change the model of your PJ series plasma. If you change a 42" model plasma to a 50" model the display will become zoomed in since the 50" and 42" sets have slightly different native resolutions.

Will it brick my Plasma if I change it? Is it safe? I'm kinda scare to brick my TV, saw some did. And what is that numbet Tool Option - 4 how can we tell what number is which model.

So now I can enable all other function like expert mode,right? Can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 325 Old 04-26-2010, 08:30 AM

I can get into service menu now. Don't know what value to change to get all the function. change the model one?
post #93 of 325 Old 04-26-2010, 09:08 AM

Does anyone have any settings after the break-in period?

Thanks

Z
post #94 of 325 Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM

I have the 50PJ350 and love it thus far. I noticed these particular models can play MP3's which is great for parties just plugging in a flash drive to the side of the tv. However, how do I get the audio to play through my home theatre when I use this function?

Right now, when I switch to USB the audio from the HDMI1 (the digital cable box) will still play over the home theatre speakers while the flash drive plays through the tv speakers.

Thanks for you help!
post #95 of 325 Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraq View Post

Will it brick my Plasma if I change it? Is it safe? I'm kinda scare to brick my TV, saw some did. And what is that numbet Tool Option - 4 how can we tell what number is which model.

So now I can enable all other function like expert mode,right? Can't wait!

I cycled through all the Tool Option numbers and everything seems to be ok but it does change your user settings (probably setting them to default values?) when you change this option. Playing in the service menu can be dangerous so at least write down all your default values.

The value of 4 for Tool Option sets the TV to model 42PJ550 which is the Canadian version of the 42PJ350. As far as I can tell the two models are identical except perhaps some language settings (French vs Spanish). The value for 42PJ350 is either 3 or 5. I can't remember exactly and I have everything set the way I like it so I don't want to reset my settings again.
post #96 of 325 Old 04-26-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkTO View Post

I cycled through all the Tool Option numbers and everything seems to be ok but it does change your user settings (probably setting them to default values?) when you change this option. Playing in the service menu can be dangerous so at least write down all your default values.

The value of 4 for Tool Option sets the TV to model 42PJ550 which is the Canadian version of the 42PJ350. As far as I can tell the two models are identical except perhaps some language settings (French vs Spanish). The value for 42PJ350 is either 3 or 5. I can't remember exactly and I have everything set the way I like it so I don't want to reset my settings again.

I also cycle all tool option but nothing happened. All my setting stay the same, no reset at all. Am I doing something wrong after change it just exit or have to press some button? Nothing happen even my picture setting stay the same.
post #97 of 325 Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Now my LG PJ350N is ready to go. I have break in it about 180 hours.
Now its time to calibrate but i cant this on my own. Someone with good settings to share?? HD digital box in HDMI and xbox360 in Component. LG dvd (upscalingchip) in HDMI.

//Thanks
SLummer
post #98 of 325 Old 04-27-2010, 02:18 PM

I took another look at this set (actually 42PJ550) in a big box store. It was beside two 120Mhz LCDs, an LG and a Toshiba which were a little more expensive. Clearly the LCDs had their brightness, etc cranked up, but the differences were striking. This set is highly reflective, the blacks were gray vs black on the others, I could not detect any motion blur on all three. I turned off the vivid mode, so the color was more acceptable compared to the others which were vibrant and accurate. In vivid mode, letters on the plasma were jagged and the motion was choppy.

What am I missing? Can someone help convince me that this set will be better than the others? I really want to like this set.
Thanks.
post #99 of 325 Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 PM

First hand experience with the 42PJ350.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread: a salesman at B&M steered me hard against this TV on the grounds that changing the ratio on the set necessitates "going down 3 submenus." He even demonstrated what a PITA it is.

Well now that I own the set, I can verify, there's a ratio button in the center of the remote that takes you directly to the ratio menu. Two clicks, not so hard.
post #100 of 325 Old 04-29-2010, 04:13 AM

After 2 weeks this PJ350 was back to the store,,, The inputlag was the worst i have experience when i played 360 (Component) And when i wathcing fotball its was really crap. I couldnt get any good settings from the meny and i never ever going to bue a LG anymore. I baught a Panasonic X20 that blew me away ,, right from the box x20 dilevers more much more quality than the PJ350. And no inputlag (360) nothing at all. But now its in the breakin period and i feel this is it for me. Thanks Panasonic.
post #101 of 325 Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 AM

can anyone tell me why non-owners bash a tv in an owner's thread? Does it make them feel better about themselves? What am I missing?
post #102 of 325 Old 04-30-2010, 01:44 AM

I just bought a Samsung pn50c430 and very happy with PQ but dont like the buzz coming from the front of the panel. Can you hear the LG buzz on mute from 9' with a white image on (in a silent room)?
post #103 of 325 Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Well, my 42PJ350 just died overnight. Worked perfectly last night but nothing this morning. No picture, no sound, no lights... nothing. The power outlet works as I plugged something else into it and it was okay. Left the power off for about 30 minutes and plugged it back in but still nothing. Have to go to work now... any ideas before I call Sears?

Thanks.
post #104 of 325 Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy1104 View Post

Well, my 42PJ350 just died overnight. Worked perfectly last night but nothing this morning. No picture, no sound, no lights... nothing. The power outlet works as I plugged something else into it and it was okay. Left the power off for about 30 minutes and plugged it back in but still nothing. Have to go to work now... any ideas before I call Sears?

Thanks.

Do you have your TV plugged into a power strip w/ a fuse or on/off switch?

What about the power cord to the TV? is if firmly in place? try taking it out and then back in.

Baring that, I don't think there is an user accessible fuse/breaker, so a call to sears would be my next move.
post #105 of 325 Old 04-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the reply. It is plugged straight into the wall, no power strip or anything else in between. The cord is firmly in place so I will call Sears tomorrow and see what my options are.
post #106 of 325 Old 05-01-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. It is plugged straight into the wall, no power strip or anything else in between. The cord is firmly in place so I will call Sears tomorrow and see what my options are.

Good for you,, turn it back and buy a Panasonic x20 or X10 ,, much more quality and much better picture all the way. Stay away from LG.
post #107 of 325 Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 AM

I Just wanna if is possible enable divx HD and MKV FILES in j350 Series en the hidden menu.
post #108 of 325 Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhernandezlagos View Post

I Just wanna if is possible enable divx HD and MKV FILES in j350 Series en the hidden menu.

I still not manage to enable Expert Menu on my set via service menu, maybe blocked by firmware or something.

Just use your pda or any nokia with IR and use that to enter Service Menu.
post #109 of 325 Old 05-02-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

can anyone tell me why non-owners bash a tv in an owner's thread? Does it make them feel better about themselves? What am I missing?

Good question. For some reason this thread has attracted a number of idiots recently. I know the mods are busy and are volunteers but I wish they would clean the place up.

For my part Sears is having LG send someone over this week to take care of my set.
post #110 of 325 Old 05-02-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibernatus View Post

I just bought a Samsung pn50c430 and very happy with PQ but dont like the buzz coming from the front of the panel. Can you hear the LG buzz on mute from 9' with a white image on (in a silent room)?

I like to watch sports with the audio off. I watched the NHL game yesterday between Boston and Philadelphia. During the entire game, the 42PJ350 set issued no audible buzzing sounds, even when I walked up close to it.
post #111 of 325 Old 05-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slummer View Post

Good for you,, turn it back and buy a Panasonic x20 or X10 ,, much more quality and much better picture all the way. Stay away from LG.

Good for you too! Now go enjoy your rising black levels, floating blacks and lack of advanced calibration controls.
post #112 of 325 Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
In part to respond to the rather peurile bashing of the 350, I wanted to post my two cents re the 350 versus Panny's C2. I replaced lcds in two bedrooms with these sets. The LG 350 is in our master bedroom within an armoire and the C2 is in a spare bedroom mounted on the wall. Both have reasonable light during the day.

Other than screen reflection, both offer a much better viewing experience than the Sony W series and Samsung 6 Series I paid nearly double for. In bright rooms, a matte screen lcd is hard to beat unless the plasma has excellent AR coating like the 9G kuro I have and the sammy 860.

Both tvs have under 100 hours and I have been a bit tepid about contrast to minimize the chance my wife leaves a 4:3 image on.

The LG has a very sexy single pane design. The Panny has two panes of glass, which creates a shadow image if you are close and at a slight angle. The Panny's bezel is rather pedestrian and lacks the swivel featre of the 350.

To get the bad out of the way, both are reflective. The 350 is a like a mirror with lighting in a direct path of viewing. I would venture to say I could nearly shave in front of it with bright lights and a black screen. The Panasonic is also reflective, but not as bad. That said, the double pane design is disappointing.

The second flaw for the LG is image retention. While it's not a concern when smartly used, it is a lot more noticeable than the Panasonic.

Black levels are slightly better on the 350 once it adjusts. Before mounting the C2, I placed it next to the 350 and compared black screens. the 350 is slightly darker.

Many folks ask about the pixels for a 720p set. The c2's pixels are less noticeable upon close viewing. The 350's are visible within four to five feet when actively looking for them. I will also mention that I have one dead blue sub pixel on my 350. It is noticeable on the FBI warning screen of movies, but only because I know to look for it. It seems LG's quality control for pixels leaves a bit of room for improvement.

In respects of colors, I personally think the LG has more pop. That said, both blow awat the Sony and Samsung LCDs I had before.

In respects of blu ray playback, it appears the 350 is applying 3:3 with a 72hz framerate. The C2 is 60hz only best I can tell.

In terms of tweaking, the LG has one of the best setup/adjustment menus I have seen in a tv anywhere near this price range. It is truly amazing how many adjustments it offers for a $500 tv. My 9G kuro has probably one tenth of the adjustments the 350 does.

Now, which set do i prefer and which set do i recommend? for casual viewers who want a very good picture at a bargain price, the c2 offers excellent image quality and a set a bit more resistant to image retention that might bother unexperienced plasma owners. It's easy to set up and get using with limited tweaking options. It's the tv I would recommend for my mother. It's a toyota camry or honda accord.

The 350 is a smart-looking set that offers a surpisingly good picture and tweakability at a bargain price. At the $500 mark, you'd struggle to find a 32" lcd from a big name. Despite a few quirks, it offers you a picture that could rival a 40" lcd that costs twice as much. in trite car analogies, it's the volkswagen jetta. It's a hell of a lot of fun, but you know there are going to be a few little kinks.

Oh, and once again, I stopped gaming when i graduated from college. Input lag and hug image retention are things I'll have to worry about with kids in ten years.
post #113 of 325 Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyoctave View Post

Good for you too! Now go enjoy your rising black levels, floating blacks and lack of advanced calibration controls.

Yea do u really think that on a 2010 model?? Dont think so ,, and its has only
been on a couple 2009 years model all ower the world.
post #114 of 325 Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Instead of hijacking this LG thread, go read up on the 2010 Panasonics, since you own one. Panasonic informed Cnet that all their 2010 Plasma models will experience incremental loss of black levels. Instead of trying to sell LG owners on Panasonic products, spend the time learning about them, and about their defects. 2010 Panasonics are programmed to incrementally fade their black levels. Professional calibrators have already tracked the problem, and measured the degrading of black levels after just 500 hours of use. Look up D-Nice's report on it.

Since you do not have a clue about the performance issues with the Panasonic plasmas, no one is going to take your advice about ditching their LG sets, to purchase a Panasonic; especially since you claim to have broken in an LG unit for a long period, after you had already decided that you did not like it's rate of input. Only a clueless person would continue to break in a set that they did not like, and then claim to have returned it for the problem they knew about, before they started the break in procedure.

Finally; since you now claim to own a Panasonic, and not own an LG, why are you only posting on the LG forum, and to date have not posted a single comment on any Panasonic forum. Only a troll or a very confused person would be doing that.
post #115 of 325 Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 PM

My 42 is once again working perfectly.

I was not home when he came but my brother was there for him. The tech apparently knew the cause of the problem beforehand as it took him little time to fix it. He left a copy of the work order but writes worse than my doctor so I really have no idea what he did.

Happy camper once again.
post #116 of 325 Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:

My 42 is once again working perfectly.

I was not home when he came but my brother was there for him. The tech apparently knew the cause of the problem beforehand as it took him little time to fix it. He left a copy of the work order but writes worse than my doctor so I really have no idea what he did.

Happy camper once again.

good deal Darcy.

any chance of calling the store to speak to the tech? It might be nice to know what he actually did so that an out of warranty call could be aVoided in the future.
post #117 of 325 Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Where have you been hiding? They have found this issue going back to 2008, and out of their "OWN" mouths, Panasonic has said that their 2010 models have the same issue.

Enjoy your Awesomeness, thanks.
post #118 of 325 Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

any chance of calling the store to speak to the tech? It might be nice to know what he actually did so that an out of warranty call could be aVoided in the future.

Will do. There was a phone number on the work order for me to call if I had any questions.

Slight update: I called several times and each time went directly to voice mail so I left a message with my question and requested a callback.
post #119 of 325 Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will do. There was a phone number on the work order for me to call if I had any questions.

Slight update: I called several times and each time went directly to voice mail so I left a message with my question and requested a callback.

You should be able to call LG Service, and find out what the repair person did to your set.
post #120 of 325 Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seangprice View Post

Where have you been hiding? They have found this issue going back to 2008, and out of their "OWN" mouths, Panasonic has said that their 2010 models have the same issue.

Enjoy your Awesomeness, thanks.

from cnet:Panasonic has indicated that it has modified its 2010 line of plasma TVs to introduce a "more gradual change in black level over time." We have yet to test any 2010 Panasonic plasma--the company promises to deliver a review sample in the next couple of weeks--but when we do we will also conduct long-terms tests as best we can. We are also exploring a long-term test regimen for other TV products, but can't promise anything yet.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page