LG XXPJ350 Plasma Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 325 Old 04-05-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Been looking closely at the 42PJ350 since it's the narrowest plasma on the market and could shoe-horn me out of lcd la la land.

Anyone purchased these - bit worrying there is no owners' thread!
winston9332 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 325 Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Member
 
nullpointerninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Some members have bought it but the posts about it are all over the place.
I'm also interested in the 42" one but I've only found reviews about the more expensive series.
nullpointerninja is offline  
post #3 of 325 Old 04-05-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My only concern seems to be the relatively high number of dead pixels on the displays i have seen at frys and sears.
winston9332 is online now  
post #4 of 325 Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Senior Member
 
C E Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
About time we get an owner's thread for the 2010 720p's from LG. I had last year's 42PQ30 until selling it last month to upgrade to a 50" plasma (Got $450 for it on Craigslist!). The slight IR was never an issue for me, and I have a darkened room so the reflective screen was also a non-issue. I always thought last year's LG's didn't get enough press around here, glad to see that changing. I may go with the 50PJ350 for my next TV, so looking forward to hearing what owners have to say.
C E Jones is offline  
post #5 of 325 Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
BWDinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SC
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I personally havent seen that LG's have more dead pixels than other brands.
BWDinc is offline  
post #6 of 325 Old 04-06-2010, 06:05 AM
Member
 
ohiost90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

My only concern seems to be the relatively high number of dead pixels on the displays i have seen at frys and sears.


I've seen three 42" and 2 50". 2 @ sears, 2 @ hhgregg, and now 1 42" @ my house. I didn't noitce any dead pixels on any of them.
ohiost90 is offline  
post #7 of 325 Old 04-06-2010, 06:13 AM
Member
 
ohiost90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted a quick review on another tread. Quick recap is I like the TV a lot and I'm very pleased with the purchase. Now some caveats. I'm no videophile, This is my 1st HDTV, (I do have a LCD front projector firing on a 106" screen, but different animal here)I'm upgrading from a 32" tube, and this is a budget screen.

That being said, I'll try to answer any questions regrading the TV. I don't believe I'll be posting pics. Go see the TV yourself as I feel pics have little value when judging pq.

On the other thread I referenced above, I stated that I couldn't see individual pixals from about 4ft. Last night I looked more critical and did notice sde on large white screens. It wasn't distracting, but it was there. This was from about 8ft, my normal viewing distance.
ohiost90 is offline  
post #8 of 325 Old 04-06-2010, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

I posted a quick review on another tread. Quick recap is I like the TV a lot and I'm very pleased with the purchase. Now some caveats. I'm no videophile, This is my 1st HDTV, (I do have a LCD front projector firing on a 106" screen, but different animal here)I'm upgrading from a 32" tube, and this is a budget screen.

That being said, I'll try to answer any questions regrading the TV. I don't believe I'll be posting pics. Go see the TV yourself as I feel pics have little value when judging pq.

On the other thread I referenced above, I stated that I couldn't see individual pixals from about 4ft. Last night I looked more critical and did notice sde on large white screens. It wasn't distracting, but it was there. This was from about 8ft, my normal viewing distance.

Can you comment on 24hz sources and 3:3 pulldown?
winston9332 is online now  
post #9 of 325 Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Member
 
ohiost90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Can you comment on 24hz sources and 3:3 pulldown?

sorry, not yet. The only movie I've seen on it was my daughter's Dora movie, and that was for only a few minutes. It looked great however, lol.
ohiost90 is offline  
post #10 of 325 Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
picked one up at lunch. very strong in-store sale if you are near a frys.

i will be posting my take on my website later - probably tomorrow.
winston9332 is online now  
post #11 of 325 Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Idiotcanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toronto,Ontario
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad to see a thread for these displays. Looking forward to some some more first hand info, especially in regard to the 24p question.
Idiotcanuck is offline  
post #12 of 325 Old 04-08-2010, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have been looking for an opportunity to replace my two year old Sony W series LCD in my bedroom. Soap opera effect and motion blur were driving me nuts each time we watched a move in bed.

I picked up the 42" 350 last night at Frys. It's a very attractive, yet conservative design (I will never appreciate Samsung's funky color look). The bezel is highly reflective - please note that this tv would not be a good option in a bright room. This to me might be the biggest drawback of this set frankly.

I noticed a very lightly audible buzz from the set when on, but only within about 12 inches of the back of the unit. Overall, it's a very quiet set. Heat is present, but not over powering and the thin profile allows the vents to release heat from the back and top of the unit.

The picture quality annoyingly defaults to vivid even in home use. I have played around with cinema and the isf expert tools. The ISF modes (two memory settings) are excellent and allow for a lot of picture tweaking.

My comment to any new owner is immediately dial down sharpness. The picture is awful out of the box. Sharpness is dialed mid-level and creates a lot of noise and aliasing even on BD. Once it's dialed down, there is still an occasional jaggie, but it's a much more stable picture. While the set is way too new to begin any callibration, I have dialed down brightness and up color. Avoid the wide colorspace, it pushes orange and gives everyone suntans. Picture adjustment menus are very good for a bargain tv - certainly have to give LG credit on this (ironically a thousand times more detailed than my 9g Kuro!).

Image retention is there, but not problematic in my opinion. Any highly contrasted image (ie white on black), will remain as a ghost for about a period of about twice the time it was there. Most retained images I noticed were gone within 10 seconds. Once again, the retention was not troublesome from a viewing perspective; only noticeable when looking closely on a blank screen.

Line bleeding is noticeable, but only if you really look for it. I have a stuck blue subpixel that was only visible in running break-in slides last night for a bit. I am not worried about it as it is not visible unless a primary shade of blue is displayed.

As for the pixels, they are visible within three to four feet. line blocking and stair-stepping on image lines is also visible at this distance, but no one could sit that close to the display. Normal viewing distances (6ft to 8ft) shows little pixel gridding. Screen uniformity is excellent.

As for black levels, I am reasonably impressed. I would venture to say they are very close to my Samsung 860, but there is little shadow detail on the 350 (it's also harder to perceive considering the size of the display). Last night I compared the black leve to my 9G Kuro, which was far from a fair fight. God rest your soul Pioneer Kuro.

It accepts 1080p 24fps sources, but I am perplexed why "Film Mode" is grayed out in my advanced picture settings menu. The paper manual is worthless. To call it an abstract is a joke. I will have to call LG on this issue, which is annoying. I can't tell you if the tv is applying 3:2 pulldown or not. There is not a lot of judder, which makes me think it might be.

For a $500 set, it's an incredible bargain in my opinion. The biggest warning is the screen glare in my opinion - much, much bigger issue than image retention which seems to the complaint du jour for LG plasmas.

Oh and gamers, you all will have to find someone else to answer your questions. I have a PS3 slim, but have never bought a video game. Afraid my video game days were left in the fraternity house on mario kart and halo.
winston9332 is online now  
post #13 of 325 Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Newbie
 
Limpas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great thread!

I'm thinking about buying this model i 42". It seems to be a really good tv for the low price! Have been comparing it to the Panasonic X20, and this one seems to be more tv for the money. The design looks a bit better too I think..

Would be great if someone could comment how this tv is doing in console gaming. I'm a bit worried for the image retentions that seems to be a bit of a problem in the LG plasma models. How can this affect my gaming? Let's say I'm playing for about 4-5 hours. Would this result in consisting burn in or anything that will actually disturb the viewing?

I'm also interested in the blacklevel. There is no review to read?
Limpas is offline  
post #14 of 325 Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Member
 
nullpointerninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpas View Post

Great thread!

I'm thinking about buying this model i 42". It seems to be a really good tv for the low price! Have been comparing it to the Panasonic X20, and this one seems to be more tv for the money. The design looks a bit better too I think..

Would be great if someone could comment how this tv is doing in console gaming. I'm a bit worried for the image retentions that seems to be a bit of a problem in the LG plasma models. How can this affect my gaming? Let's say I'm playing for about 4-5 hours. Would this result in consisting burn in or anything that will actually disturb the viewing?

I'm also interested in the blacklevel. There is no review to read?

I'd be more worried about the high input lag on LG sets than temporary image retention.
nullpointerninja is offline  
post #15 of 325 Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Newbie
 
Limpas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the input lag that bad? Great that you said that, didn't really think about that. Do you have any numbers on the lag?

Too bad if this ruins such a good bang for the buck-tv.
Limpas is offline  
post #16 of 325 Old 04-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Member
 
nullpointerninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpas View Post

Is the input lag that bad? Great that you said that, didn't really think about that. Do you have any numbers on the lag?

Too bad if this ruins such a good bang for the buck-tv.

I think someone measured the higher end models at around 70ms or more but if I remember correctly, the kuros measured around that too and there are many people playing video games on them. It might bother you if you are sensitive to it.

EDIT: here it is: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18374806
Around 86ms of lag, or ~5 frames from a 60Hz source.
nullpointerninja is offline  
post #17 of 325 Old 04-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
keyoctave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I have been looking for an opportunity to replace..........

I have a 2008 42PG20 which (except for a bigger frame and some software differences) is pretty much the same as the PJ350. I bought mine knowing it was an entry level plasma and that there will be compromises in overall picture quality. Here is what it says about Film mode from the CD manual that came with mine:

ADVANCED CONTROL - FILM MODE
PICTURE CONTROL
Set up the TV for the best picture appearance for viewing movies.
When you operate Film Mode (3:2 Pull-Down Mode or Cinema Correction Mode), the TV will adjust 24 fps
video from movies to 30 fps video for display.
This feature operates only in TV (Analog TV/CATV, Digital DTV/CADTV), AV1, AV2, Component 480i/1080i,
and HDMI 1080i mode.

I think the PJ series of plasmas is one of the best values out there today (yours 'retails' for $250 less than what I paid for mine!). I have a little over 2300 hrs on mine now. The picture just keeps on getting better. What really makes my set shine is a proper calibration. I have calibrated mine 3 times (with an eye-one display and color HFCR software). The last was a few months ago. The PJ series have a 10 point grey scale adjustment instead of just the two point adjustment that mine has. That should make it even more accurate if you go the calibration route. I have had no problems with mine. Yes, I still have some IR, but it goes away quickly. I use mine in a lighting controlled environment so glare is no biggie. Enjoy!
keyoctave is offline  
post #18 of 325 Old 04-08-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyoctave View Post

I have a 2008 42PG20 which (except for a bigger frame and some software differences) is pretty much the same as the PJ350. I bought mine knowing it was an entry level plasma and that there will be compromises in overall picture quality. Here is what it says about Film mode from the CD manual that came with mine:

ADVANCED CONTROL - FILM MODE
PICTURE CONTROL
Set up the TV for the best picture appearance for viewing movies.
When you operate Film Mode (3:2 Pull-Down Mode or Cinema Correction Mode), the TV will adjust 24 fps
video from movies to 30 fps video for display.
This feature operates only in TV (Analog TV/CATV, Digital DTV/CADTV), AV1, AV2, Component 480i/1080i,
and HDMI 1080i mode.

I think the PJ series of plasmas is one of the best values out there today (yours 'retails' for $250 less than what I paid for mine!). I have a little over 2300 hrs on mine now. The picture just keeps on getting better. What really makes my set shine is a proper calibration. I have calibrated mine 3 times (with an eye-one display and color HFCR software). The last was a few months ago. The PJ series have a 10 point grey scale adjustment instead of just the two point adjustment that mine has. That should make it even more accurate if you go the calibration route. I have had no problems with mine. Yes, I still have some IR, but it goes away quickly. I use mine in a lighting controlled environment so glare is no biggie. Enjoy!

called lg re film mode. only available in expert mode1.
winston9332 is online now  
post #19 of 325 Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Member
 
ohiost90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i found this.. from here =>http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-60...0081019133.htm

"With the video side covered, we investigated the LG 60PG7000’s ability to render interlaced Film content optimally. Initially, film cadence detection was not looking very promising. In fact, with the HDMI connection, there was no cadence detection at all, and the [Film Mode] option was greyed out in the TV’s “Expert Menu”, preventing us from enabling it.

We then tested the analogue Component Video inputs and were pleased to find that this unlocked the [Film Mode] setting. It was worth the extra effort, because turning it on meant that both PAL 2:2 and NTSC 3:2 tests passed. It’s strange that such functionality is apparently disabled with HDMI, but as this connection is likely to be used primarily for Upscaling DVD players with their own video processors, or for real HD devices, it’s not a huge issue.

Film Mode functionality was thankfully operational on the built-in Digital TV tuner, so films broadcast on terrestrial television will benefit (if you really want to watch content of such poor quality on a screen this large). Users of standard definition cable or satellite decoders will also be pleased to hear that it works correctly over the SCART inputs"


But that got me thinking.. I had my DVD set to 720p. I switched it to 1080i and film mode was enabled. on the hdmi connection.

which begs another question...what should I set my DVD at? I'm thinking 720p, the native resolution...thoughts?
ohiost90 is offline  
post #20 of 325 Old 04-09-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiost90 View Post

But that got me thinking.. I had my DVD set to 720p. I switched it to 1080i and film mode was enabled. on the hdmi connection.

which begs another question...what should I set my DVD at? I'm thinking 720p, the native resolution...thoughts?

This film mode issue is very confusing. It appears to alternate randomly to be greyed out even in Expert1 Mode. It took roughly 45 minutes with LG customer support to get the Expert1 notion.

I will say that this tv handles film cadence motion incredibly well. There is very little judder in movement.

Outside of the mirror-esque glare, I have been very impressed by this tv. incredible bargain when you consider a near $500 street price.

PS - Image retention remains after about 20 hours of use, but it's been very, very temporary. most gone within 5-10 seconds.
winston9332 is online now  
post #21 of 325 Old 04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Newbie
 
Limpas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullpointerninja View Post

I think someone measured the higher end models at around 70ms or more but if I remember correctly, the kuros measured around that too and there are many people playing video games on them. It might bother you if you are sensitive to it.

Ouch, that sounds a bit high. Too bad they couldn't get the lag lower. I'm playing FPS most of the time, so I guess 70-80ms is way too high. Guess I can try one at home and return it if it bothers me. Otherwise I'll have to go for the Panasonic X20 instead, no IR and low input lag. Doesn't look as good as the LG though. Really liked the slim and clean design.

Thanks for the answers!
Limpas is offline  
post #22 of 325 Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Member
 
nullpointerninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpas View Post

Ouch, that sounds a bit high. Too bad they couldn't get the lag lower. I'm playing FPS most of the time, so I guess 70-80ms is way too high. Guess I can try one at home and return it if it bothers me. Otherwise I'll have to go for the Panasonic X20 instead, no IR and low input lag. Doesn't look as good as the LG though. Really liked the slim and clean design.

Thanks for the answers!

Yes you could buy one and see if it bothers you. Apparently the PJ350 series use a different processor so it could be very different to the other models.
nullpointerninja is offline  
post #23 of 325 Old 04-09-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I don't think LG gets enough credit for their Picture Wizard feature. While not as accurate as a true calibration it really is an easy way for an average non-enthusiast buyer to get a really decent picture without having to deal with a calibration disc. I've demonstrated this to several customers and most are very enthusiastic about the results and ease of use.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #24 of 325 Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
winston9332's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

I don't think LG gets enough credit for their Picture Wizard feature. While not as accurate as a true calibration it really is an easy way for an average non-enthusiast buyer to get a really decent picture without having to deal with a calibration disc. I've demonstrated this to several customers and most are very enthusiastic about the results and ease of use.

totally agree. very cool for an entry-level tv.
winston9332 is online now  
post #25 of 325 Old 04-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Member
 
comiconline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: District of Columbia
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got it narrowed down to these two...i think. I notice several posters have compared the LG to Panasonics, but not to Samsung's new PN42C450. Any opinions?

There's actually a couple things i want to know if anyone has any info about either or both of these models...

1. When watching a 4:3 image, are the vertical bars on the side grey or black?
2. Has anyone seen both displays to know which one has a more relfective screen?
3. Anyone know how they compare for ghosting, image retention or motion lag?

I really like both of these, but you can't tell much from going to a Best Buy, and there's no one that has both sets to compare side by side.

paul

Oh, and as an FYI, i read on a couple reviews on Amazon that despite all the photos of the Samsung showing otherwise, the units do NOT have that red Touch Of Color nonsense.
comiconline is offline  
post #26 of 325 Old 04-10-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Steve S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 5,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiconline View Post

I've got it narrowed down to these two...i think. I notice several posters have compared the LG to Panasonics, but not to Samsung's new PN42C450. Any opinions?

There's actually a couple things i want to know if anyone has any info about either or both of these models...

1. When watching a 4:3 image, are the vertical bars on the side grey or black?
2. Has anyone seen both displays to know which one has a more relfective screen?
3. Anyone know how they compare for ghosting, image retention or motion lag?

I really like both of these, but you can't tell much from going to a Best Buy, and there's no one that has both sets to compare side by side.

paul

Oh, and as an FYI, i read on a couple reviews on Amazon that despite all the photos of the Samsung showing otherwise, the units do NOT have that red Touch Of Color nonsense.

Go to your nearest large Sears store to compare side by side--if they follow the prescribed planogram (company dictated set locations). Try out the picture wizard feature on the LG. The Panny will look too grainy--turn the sharpness way down.

Screen surfaces are about equally shiny on all 3--these are entry level sets so no AR filtering is used.

Side bars applied by the tv will be gray when the set is in 4/3 mode--true of all plasmas. To get around this leave the tv on "full" mode and set your cable or sat box to apply black bars. Many dvd/BD players can also be set to "pillarbox" 4/3 content with black bars. If you're using the set's tuner and are watching an HD feed the broadcaster will apply black bars to 4/3 content.

Motion blur is almost impossible to evaluate in stores or even at home watching HD from OTA or sat or cable as it's hard to distinguish between true motion blur and overcompression artifacting. BD has no overcompression artifacting because it can run up to 40mbps.

Steve S.
Steve S is offline  
post #27 of 325 Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiconline View Post

I've got it narrowed down to these two...i think. I notice several posters have compared the LG to Panasonics, but not to Samsung's new PN42C450. Any opinions?

There's actually a couple things i want to know if anyone has any info about either or both of these models...

1. When watching a 4:3 image, are the vertical bars on the side grey or black?
2. Has anyone seen both displays to know which one has a more relfective screen?
3. Anyone know how they compare for ghosting, image retention or motion lag?

I really like both of these, but you can't tell much from going to a Best Buy, and there's no one that has both sets to compare side by side.

paul

Oh, and as an FYI, i read on a couple reviews on Amazon that despite all the photos of the Samsung showing otherwise, the units do NOT have that red Touch Of Color nonsense.

I've seen both and preferred the c450. Many of us c450 owners are very surprised by the PQ - one poster claimed it was better/equal to his high-end Panny's in a few ways, and another thought it was superior to the S1/S2 in terms of detail/clarity.

Samsung has light gray or dark grap bars for 4:3 content
LG has a more reflective screen, but Sammy is still reflective
Samsung c450 has the red touch of color. C430 does not, but I am unsure if this model is still in production.

Make sure to turn the color setting down to around 37-40 on the Samsung as well...its way to cranked on the default settings.
jamesco411 is offline  
post #28 of 325 Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Member
 
Darcy1104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Winston,

Thanks for starting this thread. I had mine (42") delivered just a few days ago and absolutely love it. I watch it mostly in the evening without lights so have not really noticed a glare problem. There is some IR, yes, but it dissipates quickly.

I don't have the brain of an 8 year old boy so I don't know anything about or care about lag.

You seem to be the Blu-ray player guru in these parts so I have to ask if there is a sub $300 player you really like with the LG? I am not a videophile by any means but plan on buying my first BD player soon and want something that will do justice to my DVD collection as well.

Thanks again to you and the other owners who post here.
Darcy1104 is offline  
post #29 of 325 Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Member
 
comiconline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: District of Columbia
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Darcy,

while i can't say i have Winston's expertise (although i don't know him), i can give you my two cents on the blu-ray. I own the Oppo BDP-80 ($289). It's Oppo's stripped down version of their flagship BDP-83, which many reviewers called the best blu-ray player on the market. Oppo has been well-known for making 'budget' DVD players for several years, that many consider among the best on the market. If you do a Google search, you can find plenty of reviews on the BDP-80, and many listings of the best players, where it is rated near the top. It has among the fastest loading times for blu-ray.


Steve and James,

thanks so much for your detailed replies. I went down to Sears tonight (Saturday) and checked out the 42-inch Samsung C450 and the LG PJ350. I played around with the menu for a while, to see how i could tweak them. When i got them about as close as i could to looking correct, i couldn't really decide on picture quality. They each had slight differences, but too subtle for me to really tell which one was more visually pleasing. Besides, with the poor store lighting and cramped aisles, i'm sure i couldn't make either one look as good as it will in my home.

In any case, after making that determination on picture quality, i decided i would make my decision based on other factors...

1.) The cabinet. The LG's cabinet is smaller in all 3 dimensions. The wall i want to put the TV up against has a doorway on either side. The Samsung would go past the door frame on each side by about an inch. The LG would give me an extra inch on each side before the door frame.

2.) The stand. The LG stand swivels, and the Samsung doesn't.

3.) The color. I think that Touch-Of-Red, and the little clear plastic thing that hangs down below the Samsung is just...ugly. And stupid. I don't like busy. I like very simple and streamlined. The cleaner look of the LG was much nicer. (I know, supposedly the C430 has a black streamlined casing, more like the LG, but the only place i can find to buy it is Amazon. There are no stores i can find that sell it. And if i can't see it, i don't want to guess that i'm going to be happy with the picture, or the look of the unit itself.)

4.) The price. When the salesman at Sears asked me if i wanted help, i asked him about the sale that goes through today (Saturday), which includes 5-10% off, plus free shipping. He told me that was only available online, and not in the stores. I told him i would think about it, and probably buy it online because the price was better. After staring him down for about 5 seconds, he went to his computer, and asked whether i would buy it today, if he could beat that price. I shrugged my shoulders and raised my eyebrows. He came back at me with an offer for $470, including tax and delivery. I think it would have been silly to pass up that deal, so i bought it.

The delivery guys will even come up to my apartment, and cart my 200+ lb Sony 34-inch CRT away for free. I LOOOOOOOVE that Sony, but it's got a small, but somewhat deep scratch on the screen, and it recently had a problem powering on. If i turn it off, it can take hours or days until it will decide to power on again. So for the last 2 months, i haven't turned off my TV at all. I'm lucky i live in an apartment with utilities included! Oh, and 42 is bigger than 34.

Anyway, that was probably waaaaay more info than you wanted to read, but....whatever.

My new LG will be delivered on the 22nd, two days after i return from a trip to Chicago. I'll be sure to post on here what i think of it, once i get it all set up, and spend some time watching a bunch of different content on it.

Thanks again everyone. Your advice was definitely helpful.

paul
comiconline is offline  
post #30 of 325 Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Newbie
 
soccermatt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

Just grabbed this set (50pj350) the other day through a pretty sweet sears deal with bing cashback. I am in love with this tv lol. Absolutely destroys the experience I had with my old 32" lcd. I went ahead and posted my review on amazon so I will share it with you. As some asked about input lag, I have played a few rounds of mw2 on it and there is no noticeable lag so that is good news for the console gamers like myself.

VIDEO:
Picture quality absolutely destroys my old lcd. The colors are vibrant while watching HD content and the black levels are so much more redeemable. SD content looks noticeably more pixelated at close distances than the smaller set but that is to be expected.

AUDIO:
I haven't given the speakers much of a test as I use a 5.1 audio system but they sounded adequate for the first few minutes I heard them.

APPEARANCE:
Set will produce noticeable glare if in a well-lit room but that is to be expected. The bezels are sleek and very thin which I love, the stand is easy to assemble, swivels and works as expected. The set is super thin!

OVERALL:
While I am still in the break-in period, I am thus far impressed by this set. It was a huge, affordable upgrade for me and I can't wait to give it a run with some games and blu rays.
soccermatt34 is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off