The Official Samsung PNxxC6500, PNxxC7000, and PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 7936 Old 04-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 View Post

The SC-07 is your problem. It's HDMI 1.3, not 1.4. Only 1.4 has the return audio.

Well, that defeats the purpose of the feature even being there then... unless you have a cheap 1.4 receiver.

NOT replacing my SC-07. It's the best piece of HT gear I have. It's really too bad the DACs on the BDP-C6900 are so wimpy, SQ out of the analog outs leaves a lot to be desired.

Honestly, other than speed and media features the whole player needs help.

Anybody try the Panasonic 3D player? I hear it has 2 HDMI outputs, might be a better way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 7936 Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinDanville View Post

"Usually ships in 2 to 4 weeks". That's not in stock.

They had them in stock for a couple of days before it switched to 2-4 weeks you ars.
post #453 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

PN50c7000- I have ghosting in the regular picture, whenever someone or something moves fast. It's like a shock wave. Is there a setting to stop this? Possibly the extra frames being interpolated? My CRT-RPTV does not have this.

Hope this only a mather of tweeking (based on the point that Chad / others didn t saw any ghosting...) if it was me i did not got to sleep untill i tweaked the best to eliminate that , then come back and write down to relax us
Really ... this is my best advice for now.. Calm down, try your own tweeking/manual ...2 wait for expert advice ... last - change it to c8000 menu service

Hopping you can do this using only 1st step cause i really want to by this !
post #454 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 05:06 AM

Is there a link to a service manual for the c7000/c8000 anywhere link there is for the panny models? I'd like to compare them.
post #455 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist View Post

Any word on the C6500? (C6400 here in Canada i guess)

+1.

I have high hopes for this one.
post #456 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christberg View Post

Well, that defeats the purpose of the feature even being there then... unless you have a cheap 1.4 receiver.

Not sure what you mean. Why does it have to be cheap?
post #457 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NOT replacing my SC-07. It's the best piece of HT gear I have. It's really too bad the DACs on the BDP-C6900 are so wimpy, SQ out of the analog outs leaves a lot to be desired.

Anybody try the Panasonic 3D player? I hear it has 2 HDMI outputs, might be a better way to go.

With your setup, you would probably be better off with the Panny player. That way you can still get the HD audio through your receiver and hook the other input directly to the TV so you get full HD.

FYI, Pioneer's Elite series for '10 will have 1.4, so it's not only cheap receivers that will have that.
post #458 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:

The Onkyo TX-NR608 MSRP $599. Amazon preorder @ $499. This thing actually has an unbelievable feature set for the money, but that is typical Onkyo. The only bad thing is that it has only Audessy 2 EQ. I am going to wait for the 7 or 8 series model. Anyway, I don't know there will be any other 1.4 capable receivers out anytime soon.
post #459 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGuySansTV View Post

Not sure what you mean. Why does it have to be cheap?

For expediency I left out the thought process behind this. Here goes...

Well, the TV has 4 HDMI inputs, right? And you turn one into an output so you're down to 3. Most receivers these days have a minimum of 4 inputs and one output.

Think about it spacially too- how many people are going to have their setup where the AV components are closer to the TV than the receiver? Not very many. You'd have to go out of your way to arrange your components like this.

Let's not forget that unless I'm mistaken, it also means that everything plugged into the TV has to be HDMI 1.4, otherwise you're stuck using the optical out. Note that the optical might not even work like that, although I'd guess it does.

It's also generally easier to tune picture quality for individual devices on a TV using the same input than it is sound.

So yeah, unless you're running a cheap AVR where the SQ isn't going to take much of a hit and you're short on inputs, why bother? Maybe for the occasional oddball piece of AVR kit that doesn't fit anywhere else, but then again...

We're getting off topic here but you get the picture.
post #460 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisboxer View Post

The Onkyo TX-NR608 MSRP $599. Amazon preorder @ $499. This thing actually has an unbelievable feature set for the money, but that is typical Onkyo. The only bad thing is that it has only Audessy 2 EQ. I am going to wait for the 7 or 8 series model. Anyway, I don't know there will be any other 1.4 capable receivers out anytime soon.

...meh

I went through heck to find an AVR that I was 100% happy with. I'm not ditching the one I have for HDMI 1.4. The only thing I'd consider is this year's replacement of the same thing I have now, and it's probably months off as of yet. Plus it's not going to come cheap!
post #461 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Well, the TV has 4 HDMI inputs, right? And you turn one into an output so you're down to 3. Most receivers these days have a minimum of 4 inputs and one output.

Think about it spacially too- how many people are going to have their setup where the AV components are closer to the TV than the receiver? Not very many. You'd have to go out of your way to arrange your components like this.

Let's not forget that unless I'm mistaken, it also means that everything plugged into the TV has to be HDMI 1.4, otherwise you're stuck using the optical out. Note that the optical might not even work like that, although I'd guess it does.

It's also generally easier to tune picture quality for individual devices on a TV using the same input than it is sound.

So yeah, unless you're running a cheap AVR where the SQ isn't going to take much of a hit and you're short on inputs, why bother? Maybe for the occasional oddball piece of AVR kit that doesn't fit anywhere else, but then again...

I think the point is that ARC allows you to have a single cable between the TV and the AVR. All the other components get plugged into the AVR.
post #462 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Well, the TV has 4 HDMI inputs, right? And you turn one into an output so you're down to 3.

I'm not sure it's fair to call this a thought process.

Greg Lee
post #463 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 AM

Finally got a new ps3 hooked it up last night to the tv and watch UP on blu-ray. Just using the default movie setting on the tv I thought the picture quality was amazing. The colors really popped off of the screen and it looked great. Was watching it in the dark and the black levels werent really inky but I care more about the color on the screen than that. Still breaking the tv in though so maybe after a little calibration it will look even better but I dont see how that is possible since it looks so awesome already
post #464 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:

I think the point is that ARC allows you to have a single cable between the TV and the AVR. All the other components get plugged into the AVR.

Actually, now that you mention it, that makes sense. If you're using an external antenna and the TV's internal tuner you could theoretically use 1 HDMI connection on the TV if it was HDMI 1.4 on both ends. A lot of folks do because it's free and in some areas you get more HD channels than you would with cable.

I have a special place of hatred in my heart for "content protection" and sometimes I get a little irrational and rant a bit. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the POLITE response. *cough
post #465 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 09:44 AM

I plan to get the PN50C8000. I will be hooking it up to a computer. would burn in be a problem? 6-8 hrs a day with the windows task bar on the bottom. My other option would be the UN55C8000, it's $1000 more. Dont want to spend an extra grand if i dont have to. Anyone using their PN plasma with a computer for hours on end?
post #466 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 421
As long as you mix up the content you should be ok. Meaning after 6 hours of PC use you watch some TV, blu rays, or game. If it is going to be PC use and thats it, you will probably have an issue.
post #467 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 01:04 PM

Liked: 24
I preordered my PN58C8000 from Crutchfield and did the "3D package" that comes with the 3D bluray and glasses.. Now I just can't wait for the thing to ship !! does anyone have a clue as to when Crutchfield might be shipping. I've been in another forum and seemed to be outnumbered by Panasonic fanboys (for lack of a better term). I'm excited to see more people interested in the Sammy PN 7 and 8000 series.
While I'm here, have to say, this is my first plasma. To be honest I've read nothing but horror stories about burn in, image retention and all the other plasma killers out there. So, how gingerly are people being with the new 7 and 8000 series ?? Can I start using my TV from day one or do I have to do the 200 hour break in like some are saying with no games, letterboxed movies or anything turned up above 50 in the settings.
Very glad I found this forum and hope I don't ask too many silly questions

We have nothing to fear but fear itself... and spiders

My current gear : (Mancave) Vizio M701, Sony Str-DA5800 receiver,  Speakers : Front.. Klipsh RF-7 reference flagship, Center.. RC-64 reference, Surrounds.. 4x RC-62 reference, DirecTv Genie, PS3, Oppo BDP-105 Universal Audiophile blu-ray. 

post #468 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I'd suggest you simply give Crutchfield a call for ship dates.. It seems a short supply of initial stock has sold through with most retailers, but the given Samsung's press releases, they seem to be targeting early May for widespread availability.

I'm in the same boat (looking for my first plasma) and have to say I avoid the blu-ray forums. They seem so heavily biased towards Panasonic that I felt I couldn't make an accurate judgement.

Am currently leaning towards Samsung, because i really liked the PQ of a B850 on display in a local BB. My living room draws a fair amount of sunlight, so I'm leaning towards the C8000 for the extra black filter. Am doing my best to remain patient for a good cross-section of professional reviews.

Since I'm a newbie take it for what it's worth, but it seems plasma break-in periods are no longer required for the new tech, but rather a prudent course of action for those who want to be EXTRA sure. I personally intend to to take it easy for the first 200 hours, dialing up the settings for a few movies, but then moving to subdued settings for everyday fare (for the 200 hours). From what I can tell IR is temporary and occurances tend to diminish over time.
post #469 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiahk View Post

I plan to get the PN50C8000. I will be hooking it up to a computer. would burn in be a problem? 6-8 hrs a day with the windows task bar on the bottom. My other option would be the UN55C8000, it's $1000 more. Dont want to spend an extra grand if i dont have to. Anyone using their PN plasma with a computer for hours on end?

You could always right-click the taskbar, select properties, then check the box that says auto-hide taskbar, then apply. Once you do that, the taskbar will disappear until your mouse goes near it, and it will pop up again. If there are IR issues (i dont know if there are) this should avoid it, and save you $1k
post #470 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Has anyone wall mounted a 58" 7000 or 8000 ? I have my current 46 LCD wall mounted and love it that way. Being a little higher than eye level, will that make the 3D look worse ? Of course the mount can tilt a bit so that may not be an issue. Just wondering if anyone has done it yet.

My current gear : (Mancave) Vizio M701, Sony Str-DA5800 receiver,  Speakers : Front.. Klipsh RF-7 reference flagship, Center.. RC-64 reference, Surrounds.. 4x RC-62 reference, DirecTv Genie, PS3, Oppo BDP-105 Universal Audiophile blu-ray. 

post #471 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by versailles View Post

You could always right-click the taskbar, select properties, then check the box that says auto-hide taskbar, then apply. Once you do that, the taskbar will disappear until your mouse goes near it, and it will pop up again. If there are IR issues (i dont know if there are) this should avoid it, and save you $1k

The auto hide still showes a line at the bottom of the screen though
post #472 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 02:50 PM

Should i go for the UN55C8000 instead? I would love to give plasma a try but i don't think my use fits a plasma. 6-8 hrs a day of computer use might be too much for a plasma right? I think i can deal with a little IR, but i am afraid of burn in because of my heavy computer use. Anyone using a plasma here as their main computer display??
post #473 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #474 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 03:48 PM

I finally bought the PN50C7000, brought it home hooked it up, and absolutely fell in love with it. I don't have the 3D Blu Ray player yet. I plan on making that purchase later this year. I have a problem, and I'm hoping that you all can help. It's been awhile since I've bought a TV. When I watched the TV last night, I was absolutely thrilled with the picture. I was watching both film and video (live sports) on it. Today, I downloaded the new firmware onto a flash drive, installed it on the TV, and when it came back on, I now get the "soap opera" effect on my plasma. I didn't have it before, but there it is now. I didn't know what people meant by it, until I saw it, but it REALLY sticks out. It looks so damn artificial. The question? How in the hell do I get rid of it? If one of you can take me through the motions on how to adjust the TV to get rid of it, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
post #475 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gseif View Post

I finally bought the PN50C7000, brought it home hooked it up, and absolutely fell in love with it. I don't have the 3D Blu Ray player yet. I plan on making that purchase later this year. I have a problem, and I'm hoping that you all can help. It's been awhile since I've bought a TV. When I watched the TV last night, I was absolutely thrilled with the picture. I was watching both film and video (live sports) on it. Today, I downloaded the new firmware onto a flash drive, installed it on the TV, and when it came back on, I now get the "soap opera" effect on my plasma. I didn't have it before, but there it is now. I didn't know what people meant by it, until I saw it, but it REALLY sticks out. It looks so damn artificial. The question? How in the hell do I get rid of it? If one of you can take me through the motions on how to adjust the TV to get rid of it, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Look at the thread "I just turned my C7000 into a C8000" and it'll explain to you how to enable the motion judder feature so you can turn it off.
post #476 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 PM

(slow day at work, so I thought I'd post another question)

I was reading over the user manual for the 8000 series. In the audio section I got a little confused. It makes it sound like to get 5.1 audio you HAVE to use an optical cable. But if I do that I can't get dolby truHD or DTS Master Audio. Can I still go PS3, DirecTv DVR, and Samsung 3D bluray ---> receiver via HDMI then receiver --> TV with HDMI ? All of the audio signals are coming from the PS3, DVR and Bluray player right ? I just want to be as prepared as possible when the sucker arrives !

post #477 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

Here's a question for you Chad: had the C7000 been running in a high-contrast setting — perhaps even dynamic or standard picture mode — when you arrived? Myself and others have discovered that if we run our B650 Samsung plasmas at a very high contrast, even in movie mode, black levels suffer considerably. But if we dial contrast back to high 70's or low 80's, after the phosphors have 4-6 hours to "cool down" our black levels appear nearly twice as good as they would be otherwise. I imagine this would be even more prevalent with the ultra-thin models, if it's a heat issue. Note that the improvement in black levels is not something you'll see instantly when changing the contrast; it takes literally hours before blacks improve.

We tried your "cool down" idea today, we retested the black levels, they came out at .026
post #478 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

We tried your "cool down" idea today, we retested the black levels, they came out at .026

Nice... ~20% lower than before. This should put it it at roughly the same level as a post-rise G20, same level as a PK750, but higher than the PK550. But it is worse than last year's B860, so that is a disappointment.

I do wonder, however - how many measurements were averaged to generate this number?
post #479 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Nice... ~20% lower than before. This should put it it at roughly the same level as a post-rise G20, same level as a PK750, but higher than the PK550. But it is worse than last year's B860, so that is a disappointment.

I do wonder, however - how many measurements were averaged to generate this number?

what was the measurement for the black levels on the b850?
post #480 of 7936 Old 04-17-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim1126 View Post

what was the measurement for the black levels on the b850?

My notes say Chad got 0.018 and hometheatermag got 0.02
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page