The Official Samsung PNxxC6500, PNxxC7000, and PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpassman View Post

I found there was an update for the BDC6900 and will do more test tonight after work.
Yes the glasses were on, and I'm using hdmi cables from monoprice.

Maybe I should go buy that $100 HDMI cable from Monster, lol.

Is 3d Auto View on? If so it prompts you when the blu-ray player is outputting 3d I believe.

And did you make sure the correct TYPE of 3d is being selected on the TV? I'm not sure which kinds you can pick when the bluray is playing since I don't have my tv yet.

:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

I said it before, I'll say it again, the Panasonic achieves lower black levels at the expense of shadow detail.

It could very well look that way the way they are set in the store, but after calibration I would not say that is the case (at least if you are talking about lack of shadow detail). The Pannys tend to have slightly exaggerated shadow detail after they are calibrated in their most accurate mode. In other words, they have darker than average blacks (at least when new), and at the same time picture information just above black is a bit brighter than it should be.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Chad

How is the pnxxc8000 looking compared to the 7000? Any chance to test one yet?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

Hey Chad

How is the pnxxc8000 looking compared to the 7000? Any chance to test one yet?

Haven't seen one yet.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Haven't seen one yet.

drats , but i thought clevland plasma had some in
Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 AM

From what I am hearing about the black levels, it seems possible that the Samsung PNXXC7000 series is suffering from some sort of full screen IR. It seem to me that this might result in blacks getting DEEPER as the set ages. If Chris and Chad are willing, maybe this set can be checked periodically.

I plan on doing this with mine when it arrives, but I only have a cheap colorimeter (i1 Display LT). I have achieved some amazing work with it, but not sure how accurate it is below 20 IRE. Should be able to get a relative idea of whats changing and in which direction though.

Mantis
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisboxer View Post

From what I am hearing about the black levels, it seems possible that the Samsung PNXXC7000 series is suffering from some sort of full screen IR. It seem to me that this might result in blacks getting DEEPER as the set ages. If Chris and Chad are willing, maybe this set can be checked periodically.

I plan on doing this with mine when it arrives, but I only have a cheap colorimeter (i1 Display LT). I have achieved some amazing work with it, but not sure how accurate it is below 20 IRE. Should be able to get a relative idea of whats changing and in which direction though.

Mantis

if you looked through the board prob two pages back. Chad let the tv "cool" down and reran the test and got a .026 , his first test was .033
Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:

if you looked through the board prob two pages back. Chad let the tv "cool" down and reran the test and got a .026 , his first test was .033

Speaking of black levels, last night I discovered that if you set the "dynamic contrast" setting to high, it about halves them. You lose a little shadow detail (nothing too bad) and I haven't seen a bit of floating blacks which is a good thing.

Between this and my el cheapo $30 bias lighting I'm 100% in business for dark room viewing now.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:00 AM

Chad
Thanks for your reviews, in your subjective rankings, it appears you are ranking the samsung LED-LCD model of the C7000. If you had to give numerical scores to the PN C7000 how would this TV compare? Or essentially do they score the same?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisboxer View Post

Mantis

i was just gonna say the same thing, i definitely think my black levels have gotten better. They seem to be getting darker by the day almost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christberg View Post

Speaking of black levels, last night I discovered that if you set the "dynamic contrast" setting to high, it about halves them. You lose a little shadow detail (nothing too bad) and I haven't seen a bit of floating blacks which is a good thing.

Between this and my el cheapo $30 bias lighting I'm 100% in business for dark room viewing now.

what are you using for bias lighting? right now i just have a clamp on lamp behind the tv with a 5500 kelvin bulb (couldnt find a 6500k one at my local home depot) shining light at the wall behind the tv.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:23 AM

Does anyone know how the 3D performs on the pn50c7000?

Chad was unable to test the 3D on this set for some reason....
Old 04-19-2010, 11:40 AM

This is my first post in this forum. The bulb in my old 55'' Philips LCoS went out and instead of buying a new bulb, I convinced the wife it is time for a new TV. She excitedly agreed.

So I've been reading up like crazy on all the new TVs and am leaning towards plasma, specifically the pn58c7000. I want to take a look at it in person first, but it isn't in any stores around me yet.

Yesterday at bestbuy, I'm looking around and see they still have a couple Pioneer PDP-6020FD in stock (NIB), and they are marked down to <$3k, same price as the C7000/Blu-ray/3D starter pack bundle I've seen advertised.. Now everything I've read on these Pioneer TVs has been amazing. For me, 3D is something that would be cool to have and would tip the scale for me if everything else is about the same, but it isn't a must have.

So from the experience of everyone on this board, with the price being the same, would you go for the older pioneer, or for the same money get the bundle pack with the newer Samsung?

If I go the Pioneer route, I'll try to talk them down even cheaper, or try to work in a deal to get a blu-ray player since I don't have one yet.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masker7 View Post

This is my first post in this forum. The bulb in my old 55'' Philips LCoS went out and instead of buying a new bulb, I convinced the wife it is time for a new TV. She excitedly agreed.

So I've been reading up like crazy on all the new TVs and am leaning towards plasma, specifically the pn58c7000. I want to take a look at it in person first, but it isn't in any stores around me yet.

Yesterday at bestbuy, I'm looking around and see they still have a couple Pioneer PDP-6020FD in stock (NIB), and they are marked down to <$3k, same price as the C7000/Blu-ray/3D starter pack bundle I've seen advertised.. Now everything I've read on these Pioneer TVs has been amazing. For me, 3D is something that would be cool to have and would tip the scale for me if everything else is about the same, but it isn't a must have.

So from the experience of everyone on this board, with the price being the same, would you go for the older pioneer, or for the same money get the bundle pack with the newer Samsung?

If I go the Pioneer route, I'll try to talk them down even cheaper, or try to work in a deal to get a blu-ray player since I don't have one yet.

if you have the money i personally think you should go for the pioneer, why not get the best if you can afford it? lol
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1289 View Post

Does anyone know how the 3D performs on the pn50c7000?

Chad was unable to test the 3D on this set for some reason....

i didnt get the 3d blu ray player so i cant comment on actual 3d material, but i watched a baseball game the other day using the 2d to 3d and it worked pretty good, things dont "pop out" of the screen but it definitely gives it a sense of depth to the picture
Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Yes, I did see that. What I am speculating is that further aging may be required for the set to achieve its best black. The fact that "cooling down" the set reduces MLL implies some sort of memory effect in the phosphors. This is commonly seen as local IR, but it seems that there is some "global" effect too. Since IR usually diminishes significantly as phosphors age, I'm thinking that will change the MLL too.

Mantis
Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim1126 View Post

if you have the money i personally think you should go for the pioneer, why not get the best if you can afford it? lol

That's what I was thinking. The only downside is the look....I don't like the "big" speaker bar going across the bottom of the Pioneer. I like how the Samsung is so sleek looking with the thin bezel and no noticeable speakers, but if the picture of the Samsung (in 2D) doesn't even come close, then I'll go for the better picture.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Im betting on Samsung and fell that is a good bet
Old 04-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masker7 View Post

That's what I was thinking. The only downside is the look....I don't like the "big" speaker bar going across the bottom of the Pioneer. I like how the Samsung is so sleek looking with the thin bezel and no noticeable speakers, but if the picture of the Samsung (in 2D) doesn't even come close, then I'll go for the better picture.

is the pioneer set 720p or 1080p?

edit: nevermind, i just saw the specs. If youre buying from bestbuy at least you know you can return the product within 30 days so i would give the pioneer a try and if the PQ blows you away, keep it
Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 PM

Comparing B650 to C7000 side by side comparison with same source signal
I have made no firmware or other adjustments to the C7000, it is just out of the box. Also no buzz that is audible unless you put your ear to the tv.

Just got the PNC7000 today
The PNB650 does look a little better

But the 2D to 3D is sooooo coooool
I was watching lost converted to 3D,
the colors in 3D are reduced, but the 3D effect is awesome!!!

I would much rather watch a movie in 3D with some reduced colors than with better colors in 2D, depending on the source material.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim1126 View Post

i was just gonna say the same thing, i definitely think my black levels have gotten better. They seem to be getting darker by the day almost.

what are you using for bias lighting? right now i just have a clamp on lamp behind the tv with a 5500 kelvin bulb (couldnt find a 6500k one at my local home depot) shining light at the wall behind the tv.

Mine's pretty much the same, sans the clip-on part. I'm using a CCFL which accounts for the extra expense- I wouldn't put a standard light bulb anywhere near that amount of exposed electrical wiring. Unfortunately it doesn't list the color temperature... I wish it did.

It's pretty secure where it's at because the base is wide enough and there's a bunch of blank space on the stand.

The full-screen IR thing is very real. I posted about it the first day I got the set. Black levels are definitely getting better on a regular basis as the panel breaks in from what I can tell, and dialing back the contrast helps a ton. Peak brightness has stayed the same thus far, too.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christberg View Post

Mine's pretty much the same, sans the clip-on part. I'm using a CCFL which accounts for the extra expense- I wouldn't put a standard light bulb anywhere near that amount of exposed electrical wiring. Unfortunately it doesn't list the color temperature... I wish it did.

It's pretty secure where it's at because the base is wide enough and there's a bunch of blank space on the stand.

The full-screen IR thing is very real. I posted about it the first day I got the set. Black levels are definitely getting better on a regular basis as the panel breaks in from what I can tell, and dialing back the contrast helps a ton. Peak brightness has stayed the same thus far, too.

fortunately all the wires are push to the sides, theres nothing remotely close to the bulb.
what do you have your contrast at right now?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 PM

FYI for those who wanted a player with 2 hdmi outs to utilize your existing avr receiver..went to bb to pickbup a c8000 today and they will not work on the Samsung tv's for 3d. I witnessed them hooking each up and it was not compatible? This sucks and shoots a hole in my audio plans? I want to keep HD lossless audio,

what will I lose if I do 7.1 analog out of the Samsung 6900?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:28 PM

I just got back from futureshop. They had just put the pn50c7000 on display. It looked like garbage. So confusing as many have generally liked the new pn50c7000 on this forum. It was sandwiched between the pn58b850 and a 55 inch LCD from samsung. The LCD had much better blacks and it did not even compare to the 850. Picture looked not sharp, fuzzy, and the blacks were grey. Seriously I was almost disgusted because I am patiently waiting to buy a pn63c8000. I am hoping that something is just wrong with the tv or the guys at future shop messed up when hooking it up. I will wait until I see it at another store before I make my final decision on the 2010 samsung plasma lineup. If it still looks as bad then the panasonic vt25 it will have to be.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsh8r View Post

FYI for those who wanted a player with 2 hdmi outs to utilize your existing avr receiver..went to bb to pickbup a c8000 today and they will not work on the Samsung tv's for 3d. I witnessed them hooking each up and it was not compatible? This sucks and shoots a hole in my audio plans? I want to keep HD lossless audio,

Why? Is it because the samsung isn't HDMI 1.4?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy1298 View Post

I just got back from futureshop. They had just put the pn50c7000 on display. It looked like garbage. So confusing as many have generally liked the new pn50c7000 on this forum. It was sandwiched between the pn58b850 and a 55 inch LCD from samsung. The LCD had much better blacks and it did not even compare to the 850. Picture looked not sharp, fuzzy, and the blacks were grey. Seriously I was almost disgusted because I am patiently waiting to buy a pn63c8000. I am hoping that something is just wrong with the tv or the guys at future shop messed up when hooking it up. I will wait until I see it at another store before I make my final decision on the 2010 samsung plasma lineup. If it still looks as bad then the panasonic vt25 it will have to be.

the tvs could have different settings, plus the c7000 was probably in dynamic mode. Also Lcds always look better than plasmas on a showroom
Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:

That's how I'm running and... it's less than desirable. Might just be that the speakers are all defaulted to "small" but last I checked entering the speaker settings menu causes the player to lock up. Sound is way worse that way as it stands though.

I'll check it out later today, just got a new firmware last night. My general impressions of the player are that it's really fast and has great features but the SQ in particular leaves a lot to be desired. I'm still running my BDP-23FD for regular movies for now and just using the 6900 for 3D and media functionality.

I keep debating about trying the Panasonic player but it's 400 bucks. Ouch.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That makes no sense. Are you sure they knew what they were doing? HDMI in 2 has the ARC so it's definitely 1.4. So they should have hooked it there at a minimum. I'll bet something wasn't configured correctly on either the player or the TV.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that the Panny BD player doesn't work, but then again... So far we have seen that the software programming of the TVs and BD players can have an effect on the quality of the image. Not so much of a stretch to consider that compatibility could be affected as well.

As far as sound quality, if the DAC on the BD player is good (i would guess that its junk), you shouldn't have a quality problem. A 7.1ch input is not common on midrange receivers though. I have an Onkyo NR-TX807 and it doesn't have multichannel input, which is one of its few shortcomings (for the money).

Mantis
Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM

Liked: 24
Seeing lots of stuff about sub-par PQ in 2D and 3D with the 7000 and 8000. Now I'm kind of happy that Crutchfield hasn't shipped yet. Now I can rethink this a little bit and maybe go with a PN58C590 2D and save myself $1000 and not have to worry about the whole 1.4 /Highspeed HDMI hullaballoo.. what would you guys do ?

We have nothing to fear but fear itself... and spiders

My current gear : (Mancave) Vizio M701, Sony Str-DA5800 receiver,  Speakers : Front.. Klipsh RF-7 reference flagship, Center.. RC-64 reference, Surrounds.. 4x RC-62 reference, DirecTv Genie, PS3, Oppo BDP-105 Universal Audiophile blu-ray. 

Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692

Tags
Samsung Pn63c8000 63 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread